Fly.com?? And ATL to MCO question

cassidyh

Mouseketeer
Hi,

I saw a commercial for a site called Fly.com that's kind of like Kayak.com but looks a little cleaner. Has anyone used this to get anywhere? Thoughts?

Also just for kicks, is it worth it to fly from ATL to MCO? We would have an extra day if we flew, but tickets would be about $160 each (according to fly.com). I've never bought plane tickets so I'm not sure if it's a good deal or not. We're two college students taking a trip down to the World for Fall Break over Halloween weekend.

The real question is, would you "really" gain that much time??

When is your last class over?? When does this flight leave Atlanta??

Hypothetically, if you could depart campus as soon as your last class is over, jump on the plane and fly to Orlando, then yes, you could gain some time.

But, realistically, this flight is probably several hours after your last class or maybe not till the next morning.

Atlanta and Disney is only about 7 hours away.

Arriving at Hartsfield 2 hours before the flight, 75 minutes flight time, and 90 minutes from MCO to your resort doesn't gain you much time over driving, especially if there is waiting time between when you could leave by your own vehicle and the actual flight time.

The real question is, would you "really" gain that much time??

When is your last class over?? When does this flight leave Atlanta??

Hypothetically, if you could depart campus as soon as your last class is over, jump on the plane and fly to Orlando, then yes, you could gain some time.

But, realistically, this flight is probably several hours after your last class or maybe not till the next morning.

Atlanta and Disney is only about 7 hours away.

Arriving at Hartsfield 2 hours before the flight, 75 minutes flight time, and 90 minutes from MCO to your resort doesn't gain you much time over driving, especially if there is waiting time between when you could leave by your own vehicle and the actual flight time.

I don't have a class on Thursday, and DBF gets out at 1. A flight leaves out of ATL to MCO every hour that Thursday, so we could conservatively get to ATL by a little before 3 and take a flight out at 4:59 (UGA is in Athens so we'd have about an hour trip to the airport). Then we would get to MCO around 6:30 and get to the hotel by 7:30 or 8, as opposed to 11 or 12. But really the extra day would be on Sunday. We could leave MCO at like 6:30 (get there at 4:30pm) and get to ATL in the evening, then drive back to Athens. So, we'd gain an extra evening on Thursday, and an extra morning and afternoon on Sunday. Driving from Athens would take about 8 or 9 hours.

When we get our schedules, I will make a definite decision. If DBF's Thursday classes are canceled (which is VERY likely seeing as it's the Thursday before the GA/FL game and that's all anyone cares about here), then we could do either.

We live in Lawrenceville (Gwinnett County), just about 45 minutes closer to Atlanta than you are in Athens. We've been going to WDW from here for more than 25 years.

We used to occasionally fly, back when we could get $99 round trip airfare. We don't fly anymore. I won't say that we never will again. But for the most part, the negligible time-savings are not worth the airfare cost and the airport hassle.

We are 7 hours driving time to WDW --- So you can count on about 8 hours driving time from Athens to or from WDW property.

Driving time from Athens to ATL airport is more likely minimum of 1 hr 15 minutes -- realistically, with any traffic, it will be a bit more. It is 35 minutes (with no traffic) from Hwy316/I85 interchange. And don't forget the time that it takes for you to park, to get from your parking location into the terminal to check in, and to get out to the concourse.

On your final day at WDW (Sunday), if you plan to be at MCO by 4:30, then you will need to leave WDW property by about 3:30. Your 6:30 flight will arrive ATL around 8PM. To get from your arrival gate back to your car, allow minimum 30 minutes -- more realistically 45 minutes to 1hour -- depends on if you have checked bags to pick up at Baggage Claim. So leave ATL airport headed to Athens around 9PM. Arrive Athens probably 10:15 or so.

Alternatively -- comparing apples to apples --- if you depart WDW on Sunday afternoon at 3:30 to drive back to Athens, you should be back home by around 11:30PM, or later depending on what stops you will want to make.

This is why we no longer fly. Because of the extra "navigation" time at the airports (particularly in ATL), you don't end up saving a significant amount of time. Not to mention the fact that you have your car available to you at WDW if you drive.

So, by flying, you could have a couple extra hours available to you --- but certainly not an entire day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!