Flik's Fun Photos

meowthew2

Mouseketeer
Everyone should check out MouseInfo's photo tour of Flik's Fun Fair at DCA -- Part One and Two. I was very skeptical of how it would turn out, but I am pleasantly surprised. It's an incredibly well done little area that really shows how Imagineering can pull off something great on a limited budget and time frame. An all-around plus for DCA!

I had some good thoughts and some bad thoughts, but I'll settle on just one comment:

I'd rather have this than Dinorama.

Yes, it looks like a lot of detail has gone into this land. I really wish we could have gotten this here instead of Dino-Rama also. This could fit nicley into AK somwhere...

They did a very good job in capturing the feel of the movie with the theming, but the actual attractions leave a lot to be desired. I think the kids should enjoy them, though.

But what does it have to do with CALIFORNIA? Did the movie take place in California?

As with DR, I'll withold any real judgement until I see it for myself, however, it does look pretty good in the photos. The fence that shows should be hidden better, but overall, it looks pretty good, as far as themeing and detail. Definitely looks better than most other parts of DCA.

The rides themselves don't look particularly exciting, but it is a kid's area. It remains to be seen if they are kid's rides that still appeal to adults (like Peter Pan, Pooh, etc)

Based on the photos, it does look to be a positive addition. The park will still have a long way to go, however...

But what does it have to do with CALIFORNIA?

They have the bountiful farm area and bugs are apart of farm life. It's kind of a stretch but whatever helps DCA is welcome.

We got hosed Animal Kingdom, we got hosed. :(

I would take Flik's Fair over the Dino-crap any day of the week. I like the theme and think this section will do very well for DCA. After a few more years of adding attractions to the park and maybe a slight alteration of theme, DCA could go from zero to almost hero. Or at the least worthy of the name Disney and the $50 bucks it costs to get through the gates.

Well, it is themed nice, but I'm a little concerned that it is bad show for it to be sandwhiched between the hyperion theatre and the tower of terror - it won't seem very "removed" if that makes sense.

Bumper cars? That's a new addition to the off-the-shelf carnival ride collection.

I wish the chew chew train was a mild coaster like goofy's barn stormer. That would have been way cooler, even for the preschool set.

I sort of hate to say this, but this is the second time they've taken some basic carnival rides and themed them into a really neat land for the little ones (I'm thinking of mermaid lagoon at disney seas). The fantasylands basically work on this model, too, if you think about it, and the toon towns, and I think it is OK - but somehow it is hard to think about dinorama in the same way. Maybe it is the games of chance or something.

I think it is better than dinorama, I feel comfortable with saying that before seeing it in person. Maybe some day that could put a clone of this in AK (maybe near camp minnie mickey) and move the wild mouse for dinoland to here (they could theme it to the spider or something) and get rid of dinorama. I think that would be an improvement for AK -

This is a really nice addition to DCA for families with young kids. I can see it making a lot of sense to go to fantasy land and toon town first thing in the morning, and then over to the bugs in the late afternoon.

DR

This is one of the most bizarre areas ever to appear in a Disney park. Not because of its theme – just in the way it’s been put together. There is a tremendous amount of detail and wit that’s been stapled to really cheesy shopping mall rides. It’s really hard to come to a opinion about this Frankenstein.

The area itself is very small and wedged in between several large building – it will forever by in the shadow of the Tower when it’s completed (a really interesting background for a kiddie area). They’ve spent a tremendous amount on plants and shading. The rides themselves really were designed for shopping malls (and, also according to rumor, really were purchased through a catalog). They are good kiddie rides with nothing to extreme for the toddler set; and also having absolutely no interest to anyone beyond the toddler set. But it will be interesting to see what happens when the first group of teenagers shows up to ride the bumper cars.

My overall impression is that this area is very defensive. It was designed point by point against what people don’t like about California Adventure – but has no ideas or ambitions of its own. The typical complaints about DCA are that it lacks kid’s attractions, it’s not detailed enough and there’s a lack of shade. Each one of those concerns has been met just like someone went down each bullet point in a slide presentation. Anything that didn’t fit neatly into a checkbox (like whimsy or “wow”) was eliminated.

On the whole, however, I think this is still a good move towards taking the first steps in fixing DCA. This is the only area in the park that has a real theme to it (as opposed to just a decorating scheme). It’s also a bugle call that the entire “California” theme has been entirely trashed (so they might as well get on with the make-overs). On its own, Flik’s won’t improve DCA, but it’s a hint of what could happen.

P.S. The area is somewhat like the Little Mermaid's Lagoon at DisneySea but the two areas are vastly different in scope. The Lagoon not only has more (and higher end rides), but it also features a live action show (with the performers floating over the heads of the audience), exploration tunnels, retail and themeing about 100 times the scale of Flik's. The entire experience is very much different.

P.S.S. To see how Disney is dismantling Tom Sawyer’s Island – the original children’s play area – go to http://www.mouseplanet.com/david/tomsawyer.htm .

I don't know what's so exciting about this?

Sure it looks nice, but to me, it's like the Honey, I Shrunk the Kids play area at MGM, but with toddler rides.

Redcon1

D-R:

Although it may resemble the TDS Mermaid Lagoon...it is tough to compare for a couple of reasons.

The whole Mermaid Lagoon set-up -- indoors, extremely well-themed, cool in the summer for the kids -- was no throw-in. It was well-thought from beginnning to end.

Even though it has many of the same attractions as can be found at DCA, they are all higher end. Go see the side-by-side comparisons of...say...the Jumpin' jellyfish ride at both parks. There *is* no comparison. I would like to see the quality of the rides themselves before I make that kind of comparison.

I know, it is other people's money, it's the Japanese, it's the economy.

It doesn't matter. One is done right, the other I will have to wait and see for myself.

That being said...I am impressed with the theming. Nice, nice work from the Imagineers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter