Flight of Passage + People of Size = Disappointing

TinkerBelle_325

Canadian Disney Fan & Vlogger
The last time I went on FOP was Dec 2017. I'll be riding again in just over 2 weeks. I am 5'7 and weigh around 295. I carry my weight in my middle. My calves however are pretty slim proportionately. They are 15 1/2 inches in diameter. I had no issue fitting and don't anticipate it being an issue next month. I'll report back on this thread though.

Tink1987

DIS Veteran
Hoping someone can help me with regards to the knee issues others have bought up please.

My husband has had ACL surgery and will be 9 months post surgery when we go. We haven't ridden FOP before. Are your knees forced that back? He is around 250lbs so worried his knees and particularly his bad one is going to be forced back by a helpful CM trying to close his restraints. He does have slim calves/legs and carries his weight around the middle. He can get his knee to around 110 degrees.

Thanks so much everyone!

V.B.

Earning My Ears
Other than FOP, the only ride I really didn't fit on was Primeval Whirl. That was because of big boobs that the lap bar couldn't get past. Once I got on, I couldn't get off until it was over. It was worse than a mammogram :mad::mad:.
So sorry! That sounds awful!!

• APiratesLifeForMe2

DIS Veteran
    DVC Gold
    Hey everyone so update, I’ve been on the ride about 5 times total and every time the leg restraints take a bit of fussing with from a cm before the lock in. We are heading back next week and I’m thinking of skipping it because I just know one of these times I’ll be told it’s a no and just don’t want that embarrassment. Is there a measurement of what size calves fit? I know that sounds goofy but someone above mentioned a measurement and honestly there is 46 pages here I’m not sure I have hours to read through. Anyone else have weird tricks to get your legs to fit?

Keckster

Earning My Ears
    6'0, 340# (Big tummy, wear 3XL Shirt) and I was able to ride FoP in October 2018 and February 2019 without issue. Back support did not initially lock on its own, but CM was able to just push slightly to secure. Leg restraints were not an issue. I was actually more comfortable in FoP than 7 Dwarfs or Space Mountain. When getting on the ride vehicle, always slide as much forward as possible. When the CM advises restraints are engaging, sit up tall and straight, suck your tummy in, and press toward the front. Once locked, relax and enjoy the ride and you won't even think about restraints. Heading back end of October and plan to ride FoP again without concern.

ameetee

Earning My Ears
    Hey everyone so update, I’ve been on the ride about 5 times total and every time the leg restraints take a bit of fussing with from a cm before the lock in. We are heading back next week and I’m thinking of skipping it because I just know one of these times I’ll be told it’s a no and just don’t want that embarrassment. Is there a measurement of what size calves fit? I know that sounds goofy but someone above mentioned a measurement and honestly there is 46 pages here I’m not sure I have hours to read through. Anyone else have weird tricks to get your legs to fit?
    I just know I didn't fit at 22". My left calf (the big injured one) is at 20" now cause I lost 60 pounds, and I'm going the end of October. I'm hoping I can ride it this time.

Zippa D Doodah

<font color=red>Suffering from Fairy Alienation.
    I've been on this ride several times, including back when I weighed 3 bills or so. Now I'm at 230. I always fit, but its always awkward because I have big feet and my right ankle is partially fused. No real mobility issues or anything because I've learned to compensate for the limited motion. That makes it difficult to flex my ankle to fit into the slot, which means the leg restraints are always grumpy with me.

• nkereina

Last chance to lose your keys.
    My husband has had ACL surgery and will be 9 months post surgery when we go. We haven't ridden FOP before. Are your knees forced that back? He is around 250lbs so worried his knees and particularly his bad one is going to be forced back by a helpful CM trying to close his restraints. He does have slim calves/legs and carries his weight around the middle. He can get his knee to around 110 degrees.
    My DH had ACL surgery and was 11 months post-op when we went. He's smaller, but had no issue bending his knee to get on this ride. The thought never occurred to us. When are you going? Is he still going to physical therapy? I don't recall how far my DH was able to bend his knee at that point, but he was almost completely back to normal by then.

Tink1987

DIS Veteran
    My DH had ACL surgery and was 11 months post-op when we went. He's smaller, but had no issue bending his knee to get on this ride. The thought never occurred to us. When are you going? Is he still going to physical therapy? I don't recall how far my DH was able to bend his knee at that point, but he was almost completely back to normal by then.
    Thank you for your help! We are going at the end of November so will be just under 9 months post op. He can bend his knee back to the full 115 degrees his left one can bend too and his physical therapist is about to sign him off. He already walked around Disneyland for 20,000 steps a day 2 months post op so with the reassurance of your post I think he will be fine! Thank you for your help and I hope your husband is doing well after his ACL surgery! :)

bdarling

Mouseketeer
    more comfortable in FoP than 7 Dwarfs
    I am going to Pandora for the first time. I am 6’2” and heavy, but I usually fit in rides. Looking forward to it.

My 2017 trip, my daughter and I did 7 Dwarfs. We had 3FP, since my husband didn’t want to ride. She was going to another FP after and me to another 7D. I was so uncomfortable in the knees hitting the front of the car, that I gave her my FP too. That ride is not for long legs, but I am hopeful for FoP.

Twitterpaited

Mouseketeer
    My problem is that I do not touch the ground in many ride seats...I am just above 5 feet tall. I wear size 18, but the leg restraint was awkward because of where I am used to putting my feet, which means I expect them to just kinda float...once I slid all the way forward and my feet were on the ground, more of a tippytoe, (which was not comfortable till I settled in) it was fine.

Just as a reference, I had to sit in the Larger seat on the HP ride, but I think I could have managed in a regular seat, I just had an impatient employee.

If you are short, FOP can be awkward, not just for people of size!
    Are your feet supposed to reach the floor? I am just 5 feet, so mine did not, but I didn’t expect them to. I found the vehicle pretty comfortable.

• Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates

THEME PARK MAPS

DISNEY WORLD TICKETS

THEME PARK HOURS
    Disney World Rehabs and Closings Disney World Restaurant Menus

DISNEY WORLD VIDEOS