FJ - to medicate or not?

CynBeth

DIS Veteran
I am a ride wimp and won't go on anything with a drop but I'm ok on motion simulators at Disney. I have never gotten sick on a ride. I am not used to taking meds. Should I take a motion sickness pill or not? If yes do I take one the night before and one in the morning with a light breakfast? Thanks!

I am a ride wimp and won't go on anything with a drop but I'm ok on motion simulators at Disney. I have never gotten sick on a ride. I am not used to taking meds. Should I take a motion sickness pill or not? If yes do I take one the night before and one in the morning with a light breakfast? Thanks!

I am the opposite. I can take medium drops but motion simulaters nearly kill me, eg. The Simpsons....almost died,lol.

I would only take one in the morning about 1 hour before the ride. Taking one the night before won't work, it will wear off by the time you get on the ride.

I rode Fj on May and I did okay. I get very motion sick. I did not take anything and we just a little queasy after but I would do it again. I closed my eyes on some parts.

Im the opposite too. Can handle some rollercoasters but cannot handle motion simulators. :sick: I wonder if I should take meds too?

I was a bit nervous. I usually only get sick on spinning type rides but as I get older I notice I feel funny more often on other rides.

I took 2 meclizine in the morning and had no problems on anything all day. They really work well.

I think if you can do Star Tours you should be fine.

I generally don't get motion sickness and I can handle Star Tours just fine. But I get a little queasy on FJ.

I think the fact that the images are fast-moving and not totally sharp play a role. Star Tours -- especially the new one -- is incredibly crisp and sharp. FJ isn't. I think they need to upgrade the screens/projections... or maybe it's like that on purpose because the backgrounds aren't of the same quality as those used in the films and making them crisper would bring out the flaws?

I dunno... whatever the reason, FJ is one of the few rides that can give me a little motion sickness.

If anyone is wiling to write a step by step report of what exactly happens from the moment you get on the rude until the end I'd really appreciate it.

me too, I'm a BIG wuss when it comes to spiders and knowing what to expect will make me less nervous about them. I also can handle rollercoasters and usually have an iron gut but some motion sims make me queasy...Back to the future did me in one day! :sick:

Hope someone is willing to share...:worship:

my SO uses a patch she gets from the doctor for motion sickness. It can be put right behind the ear and it works for 3 days at a time. It's great for her since she gets really motion sick and she easily forgets to take medicine before we go.

I am the opposite. I can take medium drops but motion simulaters nearly kill me, eg. The Simpsons....almost died,lol.

I would only take one in the morning about 1 hour before the ride. Taking one the night before won't work, it will wear off by the time you get on the ride.

I would suggest you try out the meds before your trip, as everyone reacts differently. To clarify, the meds will definitely help with the dizziness but it is the drowsiness I'm referring to . My husband cannot ride any type of simulator without meds. He has found that if he takes Bonine (supposed to be non-drowsy) in the morning, he is groggy most of the day and ready for a nap by mid afternoon. He has discovered that if he takes it the night before, he gets a good night sleep, feels slightly groggy when he wakes up, but is good to go from there. He's done that our past few trips, and no sickness on anything (though he still won't spin, even with the meds).

I wore my travel band, worked a treat. Avoid a heavy breakfast, some crackers to munch on just before. Enjoy:)

Here is what the ride entails

Spoiler - in case you don't want to know:

You get seated side by side on "benches" and there is the shoulder bar that goes over you and you are clipped in by a cast member. You will not be able to see the person next to you at all. It is a moving platform so you have to jump on quickly and get situated.

The ride starts with Hermione casting a spell on your bench and you take off through the chimney (Like in the books with floo powder) This part I heard makes some people dizzy.

After you exit the chimney you see part of the school (real stuff - not screens) and then you hear Harry's voice and you are flying outside. (This is screens) This part you really feel like you are flying. It is simply amazing! You follow Harry and then you see the dragon and hear Harry call for Hagrid to get the dragon. You drop by Hagrid on the bridge and then you are transported to the bridge itself. (This is real again.)

You go through the bridge and hear the dragon and then are face to face with the real dragon. He is pretty impressive as he roars and blows smoke at you!

Then come the spiders! They are everywhere but I didn't think they were too awful. they spit at you and depending on which bench you are on you get squirted pretty good. There is one big spider but he des not move. Hermione does a spell and you are out with Harry again flying over the quidditch pitch.

The quidditch segment is the screens again. You fly around and Draco shows up to make trouble and then the Dementors show up. The you are back into the real stuff again. The dementors are big but really not scary. (Though one startled me when he came out of nowhere.) One goes to suck out your breath and you can see your image in the mist. It happens quickly so really look for it as it is a cool image. Harry casts his patronus and you are out and about again.

You fly over Hogwarts (simulator screens again) and into the castle. The swooping into the castle is awesome! Once in the castle you see the Hogwarts students and then exit through the chimney once again.

It really is amazing and my descrition does not do the actual ride justice.

If you have any other questions let me know.

You get seated side by side on "benches" and there is the shoulder bar that goes over you and you are clipped in by a cast member. You will not be able to see the person next to you at all. It is a moving platform so you have to jump on quickly and get situated.

The ride starts with Hermione casting a spell on your bench and you take off through the chiminy (Like in the books with floo powder) This part I heard makes some people dizzy.

After you exit the chiminy you see part of the school (real stuff - not screens) and then you hear Harry's voice and you are flying outside. (This is screens) This part you really feel like you are flying. It is simply amazing! You follow Harry and then you see the dragon and hear Harry call for Hagrid to get the dragon. You drop by Hagrid on the bridge and then you are transported to the bridge itself. (This is real again.)

You go through the bridge and hear the dragon and then are face to face with the real dragon. He is pretty impressive as he roars and blows smoke at you!

Then come the spiders! They are everywhere but I didn't think they were too awful. they pit at you and depending on which bench you are on you get squirted pretty good. Hermione does a spell and you are out with Harry again flying over the quidditch pitch.

The quidditch segment is the screens again. You fly around and Draco shows up to make trouble and then the Dementors show up. The you are back into the real stuff again. The dementors are big but really not scary. (Though one startled me when he came out of nowhere.) One goes to suck out your breath and you can see your image in the mist. It happens quickly so really look for it as it is a cool image. Harry casts his patronus and you are out and about again.

You fly over Hogwarts (simulator screens again) and into the castle. The swooping into the castle is awesome! Once in the castle you see the Hogwarts students and then exit through the chiminy once again.

How does the ride transition from screens to real stuff? Are you on a track moving through the building? Also can you explain what position your chair is in for certain parts, are we upside down or backwards, etc.
Thanks, I am a positional vertigo sufferer so I am nervous it will set me off.

Thanks! Are there any types of drops/hills? Do you feel any spiders crawling on you? You mentioned people feeling dizzy going up the chimney, what causes that?

Thanks! Are there any types of drops/hills? Do you feel any spiders crawling on you? You mentioned people feeling dizzy going up the chimney, what causes that?

No drops or hills. You only get spit at by the spiders. People feel dizzy because the part where you go up the chimney has a screen in front of you and it is simulated.

The ride starts with Hermione casting a spell on your bench and you take off through the chimney (Like in the books with floo powder) This part I heard makes some people dizzy.

After you exit the chimney you see part of the school (real stuff - not screens) and then you hear Harry's voice and you are flying outside. (This is screens) This part you really feel like you are flying. It is simply amazing! You follow Harry and then you see the dragon and hear Harry call for Hagrid to get the dragon. You drop by Hagrid on the bridge and then you are transported to the bridge itself. (This is real again.)

Then come the spiders! They are everywhere but I didn't think they were too awful. they spit at you and depending on which bench you are on you get squirted pretty good. There is one big spider but he des not move. Hermione does a spell and you are out with Harry again flying over the quidditch pitch.

You fly over Hogwarts (simulator screens again) and into the castle. The swooping into the castle is awesome! Once in the castle you see the Hogwarts students and then exit through the chimney once again.

Afer the spiders there is a run-in with the Whomping Willow. My husband and I rode it 4 times on our day there and the last two times we felt that our "bench" moved way more than the morning rides. We were facing almost straight up at one point! I truly felt like the Whomping Willow branch was going to hit us!

Also, after Harry casts his patronus, you are taken through the Chamber of Secrets for a few seconds (real sets) before the place starts to crumble (screen). Then you fly up to the castle over the lake (screen).

I only felt sick during the chimney scene projection near the end. I also got a bit disoriented when we went from screen to real set at the end, before everyone is waving.

Great ride! I loved every second! Hopefully you won't get a crazy "bench" like we did our last 2 rides! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter