Fish Extender Size Question.....

plutojudy

When you wish upon a star.....
I think I read 9 inches wide. Is this correct? If so, the cloth part 9" wide or the knobs on the dowel rod 9" wide (tip to tip). Thanks, can't find the instructions.

I didn't make mine, I bought it on ebay, so I am not sure what the instructions posted somewhere say, but the fabric on mine is 8". The dowel ends add an extra inch on both sides. :goodvibes:

The fabric should be 8 - 8 1/2 inches wide. The dowels do add 1"-1 1/2" on each side. Too wide and it gets knocked around when people walk by. They are fun and so eary to make (and I can't sew a stitch)

Here's the link to a picture of ours. My DH made it.

IMG_1900.jpg

It is 27 inches long. The top part is 9 inches long and each of the 3 pockets are 6 inches long. The entire FE is 8 1/2 inches wide. The dowl extends about 1/2 inch on either side of the pocket it is in. It is backed with denim and has 3 different Disney fabrics which we bought at Joanne's fabrics. We also got the decals & letters at Joanne's. After my DH had each of the 3 pockets made, he ran a binding all the way around the entire thing. He actually made 3 because we travelled on our first 3 day cruise with 2 other couples. We put stuff in the FEs each day.

I have heard they sell them on ebay but they are really expensive. How hard are these to make for someone who has NO experince what so ever

I have heard they sell them on ebay but they are really expensive. How hard are these to make for someone who has NO experince what so ever

Well, my DH has no sewing experience and made ours. It really wasn't that difficut.

We made both our first and our second (a young puppy found the first one just days before we were packing) without sewing at all. Not that we can't, but it was simpler without dragging out the Singer.

We reinforced the fabric panel with iron-on backing to make it more sturdy, wrapping the fabric around both sides of the backing before ironing it on, then using iron-on bonding tape (I think it was Stich-Witchery or something) to 'hem' the ends.

Used the iron-on tape again to hem the material for the pockets and to apply them to the FE. Skipped the dowel and simply attached a length of grosgrain ribbon to the top of the FE with two dungaree buttons (non-sew).

Bob's your uncle! pixiedust:

I have been working on ours - and let me tell you, I have had fun. Haven't spent more than $10.00. I am not a crafty person, but do have some basic sewing skills. If you would like, I will take the measurement of it and let you know. If I knew how to attach a picture, I would - will if I figure it out. I do know I have 4 pockets on it, with about an inch in between them. I used double fold bias tape around the edges. So far, I do have to say, it looks pretty good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter