First timer freaking out!

Annick

Earning My Ears
Hey all!
It's 3am and I can't sleep.I'm taking the plane tomorrow night (well tonight) with my dad and my 7 y-o daughter for Orlando, where we will spend the night at the Renaissance Orlando Airport Hotel (all arranged with GoPortCanaveral for a Fly-Snooze-Cruise). Then we head to our very first Disney Cruise on the Dream for 3 night in the Bahamas. (I know, 3 nights ain't enough :( )

I'm freaking out about all the things that could go wrong and I need to write them in order to exorcise the fears haha So bear with me!

What if...

We land in Orlando, call the hotel for pick-up... and they have NO record of my reservation?!
What if we get lost in the airport and we can't figure out where to find the shuttle (we NEVER travel! We've only been once to WDW with my mom (who passed away last year) and DD two years ago. The best trip of our lives so far)
What if the airline lose our luggage
What if our noon shuttle is late on the 9th and we miss the boat!
What if we get 3 days of heavy thunderstorms and can't even go to CC
What if we are sea sick the whole time

Ok. It's all out. Now I can try to go to sleep.

We land in Orlando, call the hotel for pick-up... and they have NO record of my reservation?!
What if we get lost in the airport and we can't figure out where to find the shuttle (we NEVER travel! We've only been once to WDW with my mom (who passed away last year) and DD two years ago. The best trip of our lives so far)

1. The chances of that happening are low. And if they do just take it as it comes and adapt.
2. If you somehow get lost in the airport just calm down, take a breath and ask for help.
3. Again the chances of this are low. Worst case go to Walmart and grab the essentials.
4. If it’s late but leaves at noon you will probably be fine.
5. Then you get to enjoy more time on the ship.
6. Buy some seasickness medicine just in case.

Relax. It will all work out. Just enjoy your cruise!

Hey all!
It's 3am and I can't sleep.I'm taking the plane tomorrow night (well tonight) with my dad and my 7 y-o daughter for Orlando, where we will spend the night at the Renaissance Orlando Airport Hotel (all arranged with GoPortCanaveral for a Fly-Snooze-Cruise). Then we head to our very first Disney Cruise on the Dream for 3 night in the Bahamas. (I know, 3 nights ain't enough :( )

I'm freaking out about all the things that could go wrong and I need to write them in order to exorcise the fears haha So bear with me!

There are so many what if's in the world, if you let yourself guided by fear, you shouldn't get out of your bed. And even then you can choke on your blankets.

Take a few deep breaths, and know that for every what if there is a solution. You are still in a country where you speak the language. You are a reasonable human being who is capable of talking to people when you have a problem.

What if...

Why would that happen? You have a confirmation with a number, bring a print or on your phone.

Follow the signs, and if you get lost, there are people who can help you. Just walk up to the first person in uniform you see and ask. Hundreds of people take hotel shuttles each day, airport staff will be able to guide you in the right directions

That would be unfortunate, but also for that are solutions. You fill in the forms, bring a spare pack of clothing and some essentials in your carry-on (toothbrush, tooth paste, clean underwear).
As you are on a cruise you might have a problem to get your luggage delivered, but then you have to be flexible, purchase what you need. And claim back the expenses at the airline when you get home.
It would be annoying, but it's very simple: I need clothing, I don't have clothing, therefore, I buy clothing.

Is it Disney transportation you are taking from the airport? If so, Disney will arrange things. The ship doesn't depart till 4 or so.
Worst comes to worst: Take a taxi or an Uber/lyft.

Beyond your control. Don't worry about things you cannot control.
It would be unfortunate, but nothing you can do to change it. If they cannot dock at CC, they will make sure there is extra entertainment on board to keep everyone entertained.
Go to Youtube, vlogger Michael Kay did a trip on a Christmas Cruise where they couldn't dock at CC, and you see what happens and how it's solved.

Also not something you can't know in advance. Bring some medication and take things slow.

Relax, and go with the flow. There will always be unexpected things on a vacation, but it's the same in life. You will have a wonderful vacation, take a step back, reflect, take a deep breath and go have fun!

If the Go Port Canaveral shuttle is late (not to make you even more worried, but it has happened to my parents - who will now either stay at the port or take DCL transportation) just take a Lyft or Uber to the port at 12:30. Yes it is extra, but it will get you there.

Also regarding Castaway... That happened the first of the 2 scheduled days on my cruise in July. Carly (the cruise director) and her team added a bunch of stuff to do on the ship.

Regarding seasickness... While you should be prepared, I am a big proponent of not planting ideas in your head - or your child’s head - as that could increase the likelihood of it happening. My first cruise (not Disney, and a small (tiny by today’s standards) I was 11 and my sister was 6. Our parents never once mentioned seasickness and we never had a problem. The other child on board - between our ages and at our table - was fine until her mother started asking her “Are you ok? Are you sure? I feel so sick! Are you sure you don’t feel sick?” on a rough day to the point that even though she was happily exploring the ship with us, she finally decided “maybe” she did. (As in there was nothing dramatic like spewing or falling down. Just a “Maybe she is right. Maybe I am feeling sick.”) I firmly believe she got the idea that she was “supposed to be sick” planted in her head.

Please note: I am NOT saying that for everyone it is not real. I know it is for some. But I do believe there are some who get it in their heads or their child’s head to the point that it inevitably happens.

I always get nervous before trips too, so I understand what you are feeling. You will probably feel fine once you get to the airport. I have also experienced some of the specific things you are worried about (lost luggage, sea sickness, hotel losing my reservation) and while I would have preferred not to experience them, none ruined my trips. Even an imperfect vacation is still pretty great.

As someone who used to travel all the time for work, I can tell you most of these things has happened to me and are not a big deal. You'll be fine!

(1) We land in Orlando, call the hotel for pick-up... and they have NO record of my reservation?!
This has happened to me sometimes. Bring a printout of your reservation confirmation to show to the hotel and that pretty much always resolves it.

(2) What if we get lost in the airport and we can't figure out where to find the shuttle (we NEVER travel! We've only been once to WDW with my mom (who passed away last year) and DD two years ago. The best trip of our lives so far)
Also happened to me before! We walked to the complete opposite end of MCO. But what was the horrible outcome? We lost maybe 20 minutes, and the kids got to tease their scatterbrained mumzy for taking them the wrong way. We just asked airport staff for directions when we realized we were not finding our transportation--there are customer service desks all over.

(3) What if the airline lose our luggage
Has happened to me so many times. I highly recommend taking a carry-on with a change of clothes for everyone to tide you over until your luggage arrives. Also, medications, valuables, and your cruise documents (including passports or birth certificates) should always be in carryon rather than checked luggage.

(4) What if our noon shuttle is late on the 9th and we miss the boat!
Last call is 3:45, so you have so much time to arrange an alternate transport if the shuttle falls through for any reason.

(5) What if we get 3 days of heavy thunderstorms and can't even go to CC
That's what weather apps are for! Castaway Cay is looking sunny and warm the next few days. Enjoy!

(6) What if we are sea sick the whole time.
From someone who learned this the hard way, they sell medication and sea bands in the cruise gift shop.

Thank you so much, guys. I knew you'd help. I'm usually not an anxious person, but this time, I don't know what's happening! I'll go with the flow as you all said.
I think it's because I planned and paid for the entire trip and feel everything has to be perfect because it's so expensive.

Thanks again!

re: the sea sickness. I think @Dug720 said it with don't put thoughts in your child's head and I 100% agree with this. That said, my son DID get seasick last cruise. But we had sea bands handy, children's gravol and if you visit the medical center on board, they have medication there too! You can also call room service and tell them you have someone who is seasick, what would they suggest they eat and they brought up green apples, crackers and gingerale for my son.

There are solutions to everything. The key is to keep calm and think things through if something happens. In the airport, there are staff everywhere who can help you.

Thank you so much, guys. I knew you'd help. I'm usually not an anxious person, but this time, I don't know what's happening! I'll go with the flow as you all said.
I think it's because I planned and paid for the entire trip and feel everything has to be perfect because it's so expensive.

Thanks again!

One thing you realize if you travel enough... There is no such thing as perfection in travel. :)

We've used GoportCanaveral 3 times before, no problems. Already have them booked for next cruise. They should have given you all the phone numbers you need to contact them. If it makes you feel better, give them a call to double check your reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter