First time flying with a toddler

I realize all parents know their own child best, but my 16 month old will sit in my lap for approximately 2 seconds before squirming and wriggling his way out. He has things to explore after all! There is no way I would even consider flying for any amount of time without him in his own seat. Even thinking about having to contain him makes me a little anxious! Plus he weighs 29 lbs (and I weigh 110), so wrangling him is a physical challenge for me. I would strongly suggest getting a seat for the kid, for your own sanity's sake.

I realize all parents know their own child best, but my 16 month old will sit in my lap for approximately 2 seconds before squirming and wriggling his way out. He has things to explore after all! There is no way I would even consider flying for any amount of time without him in his own seat. Even thinking about having to contain him makes me a little anxious! Plus he weighs 29 lbs (and I weigh 110), so wrangling him is a physical challenge for me. I would strongly suggest getting a seat for the kid, for your own sanity's sake.

I think you did say it best, parents know their own children best. I have zero concerns about his ability to sit on our laps on the plane. My only concern was the best way to handle the actual stroller and getting through security with it.

I think you did say it best, parents know their own children best. I have zero concerns about his ability to sit on our laps on the plane. My only concern was the best way to handle the actual stroller and getting through security with it.

A long awaited baby less than a year old with two doting parents and a truly bigger brother - betting his feet don't touch the ground very often :-)

I would recommend an FAA approved carseat... for the risk of turbulence alone. A baby-on-a-lap is just a projectile waiting to happen.... :(

And a stroller? Try a baby carrier instead. Plenty of models adjust to fit Mom AND Dad. There is just not enough room in an airport for your stroller to be anything but inconvenient. You're going to knock it into other people, block their pathways, jam up space in the "Fake-o-Rail", drive over other people's feet, run into other people's children...

I personally detest strollers as I have been the victim of "stroller assault" more than once... and the inconsiderate person always thinks I was the one at fault. :( Hence why we always travel with a FAA carseat and NO stroller. When the DD was small enough, she spent the first three years of her life in a baby carrier. And we took numerous trips, domestic and international. TSA adored that we made it simple and easy for us (and them)!

A long awaited baby less than a year old with two doting parents and a truly bigger brother - betting his feet don't touch the ground very often :-)
That is pretty true. It was a long hard fight for this little boy and though I will admit my oldest is a bit spoiled, this little one is going to be even more. I sometimes have to remind our oldest that he's not the parent. Fortunately this is one of the things that makes me believe he will be well behaved on the plane. We are constantly on the go with his big Brothers sports and activities, baby is usually hanging out on my lap.

I would recommend an FAA approved carseat... for the risk of turbulence alone. A baby-on-a-lap is just a projectile waiting to happen.... :(

And a stroller? Try a baby carrier instead. Plenty of models adjust to fit Mom AND Dad. There is just not enough room in an airport for your stroller to be anything but inconvenient. You're going to knock it into other people, block their pathways, jam up space in the "Fake-o-Rail", drive over other people's feet, run into other people's children...

I personally detest strollers as I have been the victim of "stroller assault" more than once... and the inconsiderate person always thinks I was the one at fault. :( Hence why we always travel with a FAA carseat and NO stroller. When the DD was small enough, she spent the first three years of her life in a baby carrier. And we took numerous trips, domestic and international. TSA adored that we made it simple and easy for us (and them)!

While I am glad that style of travel worked for you, it does not work for us. I have an Ergo that I will probably take as well but I spend my days carrying 75lbs of gear around, vacation gives me a break from carrying all of that. Luckily we travel out of a huge airport and we plan on taking the first flight out so that should be less of an issue.

I would recommend an FAA approved carseat... for the risk of turbulence alone. A baby-on-a-lap is just a projectile waiting to happen...

Yes. This. Toddlers (who are seated on a lap vs. an infant being worn) could easily fall out of a parents' arms during severe turbulence (or be thrown forward and hit their head on the tray in front of them, etc.).

The FAA recommends that all persons travel in their own seat, and recommends that babies/toddlers travel in an FAA approved car seat for safety reasons.

I'd put a toddler in his own seat simply because it's the safest place for him to be.

To me, it certainly is not an issue of whether you know your child best and if he would sit still for nearly two hours. It is simply-what is safest FOR HIM You holding him is NOT AS SAFE as him in an approved car seat.

We are vacationing with a 2 year old and a 3 year old. We are not on the same flights as the parents and toddlers. How do parents manage a double stroller, carry on luggage, 2 car seats and getting your checked luggage to and from the luggage check areas? (and yes, the 2 kids)

We Always bought a seat... lap seat availability or not. We flew later at night ( for sleeping advantage) , and often times stayed at Hyatt MCO right in the airport to rest up .,
And start fresh the next morning ready to go!
Wow... that brings back some lovely memories!

we'll be flying for 16 hours with two toddlers (22 months and 3.5 years)...should be fun...ha ha..
anyway, i bought seats for both of them as i figured the 22 month old will be too darn big to not have her own seat (for 16 hours!!!!)..
and yes, we usually gate check the strollers....except when we have a very portable umbrella/foldable stroller, then we carry it on board....

and no car seats...i can't see making them sleep for 10 hours straight sitting in a car seat...they'll sleep curled up in the airplane seats...

So kids do NOT need car seats on planes? My two (4, 3) and I couldn't find a definite answer on the airlines website.

So kids do NOT need car seats on planes? My two (4, 3) and I couldn't find a definite answer on the airlines website.
if your 2 are in booster seats with only lapbelt you are not allowed to use on planes can use FAA approved seat if it has it own belts for child and only uses seat belt to attach carseat to seat

if you're asking do airlines require that you bring a car seat, i think the answer is no...........but you should probably call your airline to be sure.

It is not required but it is recommended up to a certain age, most airlines do have the info on the website somewhere.
This is what SWA says: "Proper use of a Child Restraint System (CRS) enhances child safety onboard the aircraft. For this reason, Southwest Airlines and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) strongly recommend securing infants and small children who weigh 40 pounds or less in a CRS that is government approved for use onboard."

If your child can sit properly and remain seated with the seatbelt on when it is required then I would skip the seat. If not I would bring it, in your case maybe just one for the 3yo if keeping buckled will be an issue.

Car seats CAN go in the plane seat - but they absolutely do HAVE to be the FAA certified kind. Otherwise they'll just throw it in the front cargo hold with everyone else's car seats and strollers.

I swear, we go through this everytime we fly - the attendants to try to take it from us, and we have to go through the whole process of "look, it's FAA. We're putting it in her seat. With her in it." There is something in the notes on file that the check-in flight crew is supposed to tell the crew of the plane that it's FAA and going in the seat, but of course, we're usually the ONLY family who has one so we get the odd looks.

We are vacationing with a 2 year old and a 3 year old. We are not on the same flights as the parents and toddlers. How do parents manage a double stroller, carry on luggage, 2 car seats and getting your checked luggage to and from the luggage check areas? (and yes, the 2 kids)

The 3 year old can likely carry a small backpack with their fun airplane stuff, stuffed animal, "blankie', etc.

It can actually slow down the more rambunctious 3 year olds.

If I think back in time to when I flew alone with 2 children, I would check the luggage curbside. Park the car. Put the car seats and carry on luggage into the stroller. My children took their own backpacks from 3 >.

We are in a similar situation. Our vacation friends have a 6, 5 & 2.

One double stroller, 3 car seats, carry on luggage, two checked bags + 3 high maintenance runners. I purchased the metal tags for ID purposes to be attached to their shoes because I cannot imagine corralling them at WDW even in a 4:3 advantage.

The 3 year old can likely carry a small backpack with their fun airplane stuff, stuffed animal, "blankie', etc.

It can actually slow down the more rambunctious 3 year olds.

If I think back in time to when I flew alone with 2 children, I would check the luggage curbside. Park the car. Put the car seats and carry on luggage into the stroller. My children took their own backpacks from 3 >.

We are in a similar situation. Our vacation friends have a 6, 5 & 2.

One double stroller, 3 car seats, carry on luggage, two checked bags + 3 high maintenance runners. I purchased the metal tags for ID purposes to be attached to their shoes because I cannot imagine corralling them at WDW even in a 4:3 advantage.
They ended up renting Cares Kids on ebay. Hopefully that will work well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter