First time flying with a toddler

firegurl

Mouseketeer
I am in the midst of planning a trip for our family in the fall. Our youngest DS will be 18 months old at the time. We have never flown with a child that young. I expect the most "difficult" part will be getting through security at the airports, specifically BWI on our flight out. I think I want to take my own stroller, I just can't see the point of paying to rent a City Mini when that's what we already have. If I decide to take my stroller, should I gate check it so I can use it in the airport or would it be easier to check it with our luggage and baby wear? If I do gate check, what do I need to do? Do you recommend getting a gate check bag? Does the stroller go through the xray machine right along with our carryon bags? DH and I both tend to be a little anxious in new situations so I am trying to get as much information ahead of time as possible. We hate being the person that holds up the line because we don't know what is expected. I like to have things as organized as possible while approaching the machines, jackets off, liquid bags out, belts off...
I know that we are not the first ones to fly with a young child :) but I tend to be a bundle of nerves on the morning of flying until we get to our gate and get settled for a few minutes, then I relax. I feel like I will be less anxious if I know what I need to do.

We've flown a few time with a stroller and car seat. They both need to go through the Xray, if they fit, if not they'll take them aside and use the wand on them.

I just gate check the stroller. Go to the counter by they gate and they'll give you a tag with the info on it. We get a seat for baby, so the car seat will be used. You then bring the stroller to the door of the plane and they'll take it from there. Just make sure you close it! If they can't figure it out, they may force it.

Also, remember that everything goes through the Xray, so if DS has a favorite blanket or something it needs to go in too.

I've never had any issues taking a water bottle for the kids, I just tell them it's water for the kids and they check it.

Definitely gate-check the stroller. It is easy to do and airlines expect it.

At security, you have to fold your stroller and put it through the x-ray machine along with all your checked bags, so the smaller/more compact a stroller you have, the easier time you'll have. We had a Chicco Capri; loved that thing!

Once in the gate area, do this early/first -- visit the desk for your gate and tell them you need to gate check your stroller. They will tag your stroller so you're set for boarding. Technically they can do the tagging for you during boarding, but it's better for you (and everyone else) to get the tagging done early.

During boarding, you'll fold your stroller and leave it at the end of the ramp, and all those items/strollers are collected and stored below. When you land, you pick up your stroller in the similar area in the ramp -- sometimes you (and other parents) may need to wait for your stroller to be unloaded; other times it will be waiting for you.

Don't get a gate check bag, I think it is too much trouble. I used one exactly one time (it came with our Chicco stroller) and it was too hard to use and it got dirty and ripped anyway. I also recall there was a delay getting the stroller in the ramp because the airport personnel are looking for all the gate-checked strollers first; anything bagged isn't as obvious(?)

Gate-check the stroller. The stroller is helpful in the airport (to hold kid and other stuff) and it will be very easy! When/how they tag it will depend on the airline/employee/airport/crowd levels. Just go up to the gate agent and ask before boarding begins. I've had them do all sorts of things- tell me to wait till boarding, tag it right there and take it, and hand me the tags without even looking at the stroller.

We use a gate check bag for carseats but not strollers. The biggest risk is probably dirt. If you're really concerned, bring a giant contractor trash bag and some duct tape.

For the security screen, I usually have the sippy cup and a couple food pouches in a separate ziploc bag to show them. They have never batted an eye for babies/toddlers, though sometimes they swab it. For the older kids (and adults), we bring empty water bottles and fill them once we are through security.

It will be great! I also have airport anxiety- so I know how important it is for peace of mind to arrive early and get all the details squared away!

We've flown a few time with a stroller and car seat. They both need to go through the Xray, if they fit, if not they'll take them aside and use the wand on them.

I just gate check the stroller. Go to the counter by they gate and they'll give you a tag with the info on it. We get a seat for baby, so the car seat will be used. You then bring the stroller to the door of the plane and they'll take it from there. Just make sure you close it! If they can't figure it out, they may force it.

Also, remember that everything goes through the Xray, so if DS has a favorite blanket or something it needs to go in too.

I've never had any issues taking a water bottle for the kids, I just tell them it's water for the kids and they check it.

One time I was on a Southwest flight and the baggage handlers couldn't get a stroller closed. Finally the Captain came out, he couldn't figure it out either. So they made an announcement "the pilot really does know how to fly the plane, he just doesn't know how to close this stroller. Will the owner of a _________ please come up to the front." The mom went up and got it closed.

That is one of the reasons I love my City Mini, there is a strap on the seat that days "pull to fold." The first time I used one was in WDW when we rented it for a trip when our oldest DS was 3. I told DH that if we ever had another baby that is the stroller I wanted. I only had to wait 8 years in between the 2 :yay:
Seriously though, thank you for all of the answers. I already feel better about getting through the airport.

I am in the midst of planning a trip for our family in the fall. Our youngest DS will be 18 months old at the time. We have never flown with a child that young. I expect the most "difficult" part will be getting through security at the airports, specifically BWI on our flight out. I think I want to take my own stroller, I just can't see the point of paying to rent a City Mini when that's what we already have. If I decide to take my stroller, should I gate check it so I can use it in the airport or would it be easier to check it with our luggage and baby wear? If I do gate check, what do I need to do? Do you recommend getting a gate check bag? Does the stroller go through the xray machine right along with our carryon bags? DH and I both tend to be a little anxious in new situations so I am trying to get as much information ahead of time as possible. We hate being the person that holds up the line because we don't know what is expected. I like to have things as organized as possible while approaching the machines, jackets off, liquid bags out, belts off...
I know that we are not the first ones to fly with a young child :) but I tend to be a bundle of nerves on the morning of flying until we get to our gate and get settled for a few minutes, then I relax. I feel like I will be less anxious if I know what I need to do.

We always gate check and we've never used a bag, however I have seen others use one. Yes, the stroller goes through the xray machine. Just try to be as prepared as possible. I really would't worry too much about security. I fly with 3 kiddos on my own multiple times a year, so we have it down at this point, but while it can be overwhelming, it'll be fine. Honestly, with an 18 month old, the hardest part is most likely going to be the flight itself. With kids under 3, I ALWAYS make sure I'm one of the last to board. -I just flew across the country this past weekend and I had my older son board with his ticket and our carryon roller when he was supposed to, but I stayed out with my 2 younger ones until they called the last boarding group and then even then, I waited until the line died down. -If you wait til the end, instead of boarding in the beginning when they first call for ppl. with young children needing extra time, you can easily save yourself a good 15-20 mins. of not trying to keep your 1 year old quietish and sitting still.

The only other advice I would give is to have lots of snacks and new stuff for them to play with (stickers work well) and if he'll watch lullaby's or mickey mouse etc...plan ahead and get it downloaded and let him. -It'll save you in the long run. Also, as soon as you get to the gate go up to the counter and ask for the tag for the gate checked stroller.

That's a great idea about hanging back as long as possible. I'm going to survey the situation that morning to decide. I still want to make sure we have 3 seats together for DH, DS9 and I. We are still 8 months out but I am hoping he maintains his current temperament. He's well behaved and not too wiggly in church. Not much of a crier either. SW flights haven't come out for our trip yet but if the schedule remains close to the same, I am hoping to leave early enough that both kids will fall asleep on the plane. If not, I will have plenty of toys and things to entertain, as I tend to over prepare for those situations.

So you're going lap baby with him? Please consider buying a seat. Why not sit down for an hour or two with him now, just sitting there, being quiet and it moving more than a foot in each direction as an experiment. See how fun that is. :)

We did ONE round trip with my son as a lap baby. For the return flight I was nearly in tears about not being able to buy a seat because the way down was so difficult. He was 17 months and in general a delight in all ways, but not while sitting on my lap for 4 hours.

I was so glad that he had gotten too old for the lap baby temptation by our next trip.

If you wait til the end, instead of boarding in the beginning when they first call for ppl. with young children needing extra time, you can easily save yourself a good 15-20 mins. of not trying to keep your 1 year old quietish and sitting still.

YES.

we'll be flying for 16 hours with two toddlers (22 months and 3.5 years)...should be fun...ha ha..
anyway, i bought seats for both of them as i figured the 22 month old will be too darn big to not have her own seat (for 16 hours!!!!)..
and yes, we usually gate check the strollers....except when we have a very portable umbrella/foldable stroller, then we carry it on board....

and no car seats...i can't see making them sleep for 10 hours straight sitting in a car seat...they'll sleep curled up in the airplane seats...

So you're going lap baby with him? Please consider buying a seat. Why not sit down for an hour or two with him now, just sitting there, being quiet and it moving more than a foot in each direction as an experiment. See how fun that is. :)

We did ONE round trip with my son as a lap baby. For the return flight I was nearly in tears about not being able to buy a seat because the way down was so difficult. He was 17 months and in general a delight in all ways, but not while sitting on my lap for 4 hours.

I was so glad that he had gotten too old for the lap baby temptation by our next trip.

YES.

That is the plan right now. I can't even buy airfare for our trip for another couple of months so I will reevaluate then but at this point I plan on putting him on our laps. Our flight is only about an hour and 45 minutes, he sits in a small space without too much wiggle room every week for church and we don't have a problem. He was also a preemie so he's a little bit on the smaller side. If I was going by myself I would get him a seat but with DS and DH, I'm not worried about it.

Last edited:
and no car seats...i can't see making them sleep for 10 hours straight sitting in a car seat...they'll sleep curled up in the airplane seats...

16 hours ... that wouldn't be a flight on a non-US airline, would it? If so, be prepared for the FA's to insist that you pick them up and strap them into your seatbelt on your lap during any turbulence and/or takeoff and landing. That's standard procedure with under-2's except on US-based carriers, where that so called belly-belting is against FAA regulations.

My issue on flights of that length was that without the carseat, I could not sleep myself. Over the years I've seen too many little ones decide to go exploring when Mommy fell asleep. I was worried that they would get loose and go bother other passengers if they were not restrained in their carseats. With the carseats they stayed put, and I could relax and sleep myself without worrying about what they might get up to.

We gate check our Bob stroller. It's too big to go thru X-ray. They use a wand on it. Love having it for the parks. We use the Cares car seat. It's FAA approved and you can fold it up and put it in your purse.

I still want to make sure we have 3 seats together for DH, DS9 and I.
That's easy... send DH and DS9 on the plane, they take a window and aisle, leaving the middle seat for you and toddler. BUT, if the plane is full, I would NOT wait to be the last to board. If the plane is full, you risk someone taking the middle seat (because that's all that's left).

We went in September and my niece was 18 months old. It was our first time flying with a toddler, and we were so nervous about this. It was actually a lot better experience than we thought it was going to be. We gate checked the stroller, and I suggest you do the same. My sister wanted to have the stroller with us up until boarding. She bought a stroller gate check bag for the stroller, because she was nervous about how they'd handle it. It was a bright red bag and you write your name on it. This bag was great! It was nice to have the stroller as soon as we got off of the plane as well. We didn't buy a seat for the baby, but we flew Southwest and my sister and BIL ended up having an empty seat in their row, so the baby basically had her own seat anyway.. so she was on their lap and in a seat throughout the flight. We bought milk in an airport shop and water, so my sister had a bottle ready for take off, and the baby was absolutely fine with take off and landing - we were nervous about her ears popping.

Flying with my 5 year old grandson, do I need to bring birth certificate or anything else with me for airport security?

Flying with my 5 year old grandson, do I need to bring birth certificate or anything else with me for airport security?

As long as you're flying domestically, you shouldn't need anything. Kids under 15 don't need any form of ID. I guess if you wanted, you could have the parents write a noting giving permission etc., but you almost never need it flying within the country.

That is the plan right now. I can't even buy airfare for our trip for another couple of months so I will reevaluate then but at this point I plan on putting him on our laps. Our flight is only about an hour and 45 minutes, he sits in a small space without too much wiggle room every week for church and we don't have a problem. He was also a preemie so he's a little bit on the smaller side. If I was going by myself I would get him a seat but with DS and DH, I'm not worried about it.
when in church do you remain seated the whole service or do stand at times? try staying seated the whole time and remember your flight is almost twice as long. remember he will be older and most likely you will not be able to use the tray table with him in your lap. also how do you plan on being able to get older child past you if he needs to use the bathroom as I assume older son is going to want the window seat. to use your church idea how would older son pass you and not go under pew. one thing as you go thru security make sure he does not touch side of scanner as that will set off scanner. for an order thru scanner send husband thru first followed by older son then you and little one last. that way if there is a problem husband is there and able to help. even if you carry little guy thru they can make you hand him to someone then you go back thru by self. again if you need to husband is there to get both boys

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter