First Time Campers

That would be perfect! My husband has wanted to get a camper for the last 5 years and he’s finally getting one this year. We normally fly and stay at a value but since we’re gonna have a camper now I said screw it let’s road trip it and you would’ve thought I told him he won a million dollars!

You are going to love it. The Fort is the best place on property. The location is fabulous. It’s so clean. Honestly I miss having the bathhouses to get ready in. With five kids it was always so easy to just send everyone over to get ready at once. We never ran out of stuff to do and it’s just a relaxing atmosphere. Have a wonderful time.

You are going to love it. The Fort is the best place on property. The location is fabulous. It’s so clean. Honestly I miss having the bathhouses to get ready in. With five kids it was always so easy to just send everyone over to get ready at once. We never ran out of stuff to do and it’s just a relaxing atmosphere. Have a wonderful time.
Thank you! We are so excited! We visited for dinner on our honeymoon and that’s why we’re staying there next plus I’m a sucker for being a boat ride away from Magic Kingdom!

I have found that driving and towing are actually a lot more stressful and tiring than being in a car.
I'll echo this.

It sounds like you are already aware of this and it really depends on what your comfort level is driving and/or towing. Some vehicles are just easier (and less exhausting) to drive long distances.

I'm the outlier on towing distances, but I used to race all over the country and had to tow BIG trailers to tracks, setup as soon as we got there, test and then race all weekend, pack up on Sunday and head home. All that said, I usually drive the 1000 miles straight through to the Fort (almost always on the way home). I am far more tired at the end pulling the camper than I am doing it in my BMW.

You know what you are comfortable doing. Be safe and enjoy.

j

I'll echo this.

It sounds like you are already aware of this and it really depends on what your comfort level is driving and/or towing. Some vehicles are just easier (and less exhausting) to drive long distances.

I'm the outlier on towing distances, but I used to race all over the country and had to tow BIG trailers to tracks, setup as soon as we got there, test and then race all weekend, pack up on Sunday and head home. All that said, I usually drive the 1000 miles straight through to the Fort (almost always on the way home). I am far more tired at the end pulling the camper than I am doing it in my BMW.

j
Thanks! My husband loves towing but I have different places planned to stop if he needs it. He definitely wants to stop at Carroll’s sausage shop in Georgia for one night

I'll echo this.

j

And yet the IndyCar drivers show-up a day or two before race weekend, do the PR thing and then after they race they usually fly straight out. You definitely appeared to have a more intense race weekend. Then again, I worked with several Formula 1 teams and those teams seemed to be on unlimited budgets.

Bringing it back to FW, we're going next month and are having a trailer dropped onsite (we don't own at this time). We've stayed in the cabins for several years and fell in love with FW.

And yet the IndyCar drivers show-up a day or two before race weekend, do the PR thing and then after they race they usually fly straight out. You definitely appeared to have a more intense race weekend. Then again, I worked with several Formula 1 teams and those teams seemed to be on unlimited budgets.

Bringing it back to FW, we're going next month and are having a trailer dropped onsite (we don't own at this time). We've stayed in the cabins for several years and fell in love with FW.
We looked into that but I just got a promotion at work so we’re getting a camper of our own!

Some vehicles are just easier (and less exhausting) to drive long distances.

j

Yes I could do so many miles in the 3500 with the duramax. But when you have airbags under your cab and your seat, arriving in comfort. And visibility aids in reducing stress. Oh yes, having a back massager in the seat also helps. Then the dog just loves the air ride seats, and space in the truck.

You definitely appeared to have a more intense race weekend. Then again, I worked with several Formula 1 teams and those teams seemed to be on unlimited budgets.

Bringing it back to FW, we're going next month and are having a trailer dropped onsite (we don't own at this time.
You nailed the primary difference. Semi-pro racing doesn't have the same perks. :) . There was a common joke in the paddock.

Do you know the difference between road racing and NASCAR (or substitute most other professional racing groups)?

In NASCAR (or F1), the fans know all the drivers names. In sportscar racing, the drivers know all the fans names. :lmao:

Sad, but true. Road racing is not a great spectator sport since you generally can't see most of the track. Unless you have TV coverage (we didn't), there isn't much draw.

To your 2nd point, I sometimes think it would be nicer to rent a camper. It would save several days and many hours on the road. The $600-700 in fuel savings would make a big dent in a camper rental.

j

Bite your tongue! LOL
The fun for us is having our own house with us.
Don't worry. I'll never completely give up schlepping the rig down to the Fort. But last September we flew in and stayed with friends in their MH. This April, we are flying in and staying at Pop. I do like the 2 1/2 hour flight much better than the 16+ hour drive.

I will be at the Fort in October for 15 days. That will be just the right amount of time to make the drive worthwhile.

j

You nailed the primary difference. Semi-pro racing doesn't have the same perks. :) . There was a common joke in the paddock.

Do you know the difference between road racing and NASCAR (or substitute most other professional racing groups)?

In NASCAR (or F1), the fans know all the drivers names. In sportscar racing, the drivers know all the fans names. :lmao:

Sad, but true. Road racing is not a great spectator sport since you generally can't see most of the track. Unless you have TV coverage (we didn't), there isn't much draw.

To your 2nd point, I sometimes think it would be nicer to rent a camper. It would save several days and many hours on the road. The $600-700 in fuel savings would make a big dent in a camper rental.

j

We're giving the camper a try for the first time, so I want to dip our toes in the proverbial water first.

The only purpose built road course that I have been to a few times and is spectator friendly is Barber. Originally built for motorcycles, but has shown that road racing there is exciting (except only 1 hard braking zone at Charlotte's Web).

A shake down practice run is always fun (and a great idea). We did that way back when we rented a popup for Indy. That turned into a hybrid -> TT -> 5er -> bigger 5er... so be careful. :lmao:

I've been to Barber once. We mostly went East, West and North from St Louis. Furthest South was Road Atlanta, Memphis and a little track in Nowhereville, OK called Hallett. Tons of fun (and miles).

j

Im just going to say, its diffrent towing then driving. You have to be more aware, and depending on the camper you get , it might not be a fast run. Most stay at 65 to 70 when pulling the camper. So it takes longer. This is mostly due to sway and tire limitations ( the tires have speed ratings). Additionally stopping for gas and food along the way takes longer. You need to fit! And when you do fit and park its usally a bit of a longer walk to food bathrooms etc. Have fun , dont rush it!

When you're towing people seem to do the stupidest things in front of you. I tend to get cut off more than when I was in the car. I run about 65 unless I'm passing. I also try and stay in the middle lane because people don't bother to look when merging. I just let folks go around. I have too much to mess with trying to change lanes. It's also more stressful constantly watching what's going on 360 degrees around me. When I get to my destination we set up and I just sit and chill for a half an hour. I told my wife it takes me about 3 days to recover from a long trip. Oh. I used to yell at other drivers as if I could assist with their driving. Now my wife does most of the yelling for me! LOL...

It's also more stressful constantly watching what's going on 360 degrees around me.
I won't say how many times I forget the trailer is back there. Cruise on, fairly empty highway, miles and miles sitting in the seat of the truck (4th truck with a combined 400,000+ miles between them, towing and not), it's easy to forget. It's sort of funny when I look in the rear view mirror and go, "Oh ya". Thankfully I'm psychotic about always checking ALL of my mirrors before changing lanes.

j

I won't say how many times I forget the trailer is back there. Cruise on, fairly empty highway, miles and miles sitting in the seat of the truck (4th truck with a combined 400,000+ miles between them, towing and not), it's easy to forget. It's sort of funny when I look in the rear view mirror and go, "Oh ya". Thankfully I'm psychotic about always checking ALL of my mirrors before changing lanes.

j
You sound just like my husband! He loves towing for some weird reason. It must be in his blood since his grandpa was a semi driver

Horray! Have fun!!!
We also were not able to make it as long as we thought and ended up at 11PM trying to find a place to stay the night. Not fun. But we also have 4 kids so it was also not quiet, which may or may not have added to the need to be done driving.
Prepare campsites ahead, or be willing to overnight at a truck stop or Cracker Barrel. I have no recommendations for that location. Since you have until September, get a 5 hour away trip down so you can see how you feel !

We also were not able to make it as long as we though

2018 we traveled with DS and family, 2 campers, since they were on time restraints, we traveled the first day 676 miles, second day 630 miles which put us at Valdosta, GA, so only 200 miles left. Personally, I will not do that again, I don't like driving that long in a day anymore, and we are really not time restraints so that makes a difference. Funny when we were at Valdosta, my DS wondered what time we wanted to leave the next moring, I said as soon as we get up and get around, well he said he wanted to let the family sleep in, WHAT? You're 200 miles from the fort, Let them sleep after you get there, finally told him I was leaving at 9 and he could catch up if he wanted, they were up and ready to go before 9, LOL

he said he wanted to let the family sleep in, WHAT? You're 200 miles from the fort, Let them sleep after you get there, finally told him I was leaving at 9 and he could catch up if he wanted, they were up and ready to go before 9, LOL
Hahaha! I have that same problem but with my wife and daughter. We never seem to be able to get out the door at the planned time, which always puts us getting in late on the other end. We always make reservations for our daily stop points. Good thing too because it's always dark when we get there and the office is always closed. Watchya gonna do.........

Hahaha! I have that same problem but with my wife and daughter. We never seem to be able to get out the door at the planned time, which always puts us getting in late on the other end. We always make reservations for our daily stop points. Good thing too because it's always dark when we get there and the office is always closed. Watchya gonna do.........

That was the other bad part about trying to drive so late- we were too tired to pull out very early in the morning. I think we will make reservations for stopping points this time so we have a better goal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts