First time buyer help please!

Many resorts have 2 bedrooms lock offs, which are basically a one bedroom and a studio with connected locking doors. When lock off studios get rented it removes a potential 2 bedroom and leaves a a 1 bedroom free. This is one of the reasons that 1 Bedrooms tend to have the best availability at 7 months.

Depending on the number of dedicated 2 bedrooms, a resort can be very hard to book 2 bedrooms at the 7 month mark.

Many resorts have 2 bedrooms lock offs, which are basically a one bedroom and a studio with connected locking doors. When lock off studios get rented it removes a potential 2 bedroom and leaves a a 1 bedroom free. This is one of the reasons that 1 Bedrooms tend to have the best availability at 7 months.

Depending on the number of dedicated 2 bedrooms, a resort can be very hard to book 2 bedrooms at the 7 month mark.
So plan on getting a two bedroom at the 11 Mo mark and if a 2 bedroom at another resort at 7 shows up, lucky me. Is that right ?

We have an August use year and that is our travel pattern works great! Even works for our occasional trips for the Flower & Garden Festival.
Interesting, sounds like my travel pattern. Anywhere from Oct-Feb (non holiday weeks). Now to make sure if have enough points.

Anyone know what the going rate should be for AKV resale for about 150 points?
I currently have a 160pt contract at $115 pending ROFR. I'd think you could probably land a stripped contract a bit cheaper than that. Hard to say what the going rate is currently, as it feels like the price to pass ROFR is rising.

Look at the rofr forum . Great information on contract price . In March AKV was going below 100 pp , now it is over .
Thanks, been checking it, I would have jumped in under 100pp. If I needed more points at 11 mo can I borrow to book a larger unit? Or Do I have to wait until 7 months combine points?

Thanks, been checking it, I would have jumped in under 100pp. If I needed more points at 11 mo can I borrow to book a larger unit? Or Do I have to wait until 7 months combine points?
My understanding is that if same resort and same UY you can combine . But if 2 resorts , you need to wait until the 7 months mark .
If same resort 2 UY , you have to do 2 reservations and then call to link the 2 . Lorana or Sandisw have more experience than me .

My understanding is that if same resort and same UY you can combine . But if 2 resorts , you need to wait until the 7 months mark .
If same resort 2 UY , you have to do 2 reservations and then call to link the 2 . Lorana or Sandisw have more experience than me .
Yeah it would be from the same ownership, same UY. Thanks, that makes sense

I highly suggest you get the app, "DVC Calculator". The points charts are pretty much the same for all WDW resorts except Grand Floridian, BLT and Riviera. Riviera and Grand Floridian are HIGH, BLT is in the middle. Put in the dates for what you consider to be your "typical" stay and compare using the app (or charts, but the app is really easy to use, and its free). This will give you the best idea how many points you want. Any point bought directly from Disney (Blue Card) can be used at Riviera, resale point purchased anywhere else cannot. Discounts are pretty meager except for annual passes. The special Blue Card only events don't happen all that often and are tough to get into even if you have a Blue Card, so I wouldn't count on those either. Don't forget to factor in Maintenance fees. There is a pretty big difference between resorts for those with BLT and SSR on the low end, RIV and AKV on the high end. When you look at the long-term, you will spend more on Maintenance Fees than the initial cost of points.

When booking at trip at home resort 11 months out, you can always borrow..currently 50%...from UY after the trip to complete the reservation. The system will use any banked and current UY points toy have first.

The 11 vs 7 month window has only to do with where you can use the points. So no matter what type of points, you can use only use all at home
Resort during that priority periods and at 7 months can use all points at non home resorts.

I highly suggest you get the app, "DVC Calculator". The points charts are pretty much the same for all WDW resorts except Grand Floridian, BLT and Riviera. Riviera and Grand Floridian are HIGH, BLT is in the middle. Put in the dates for what you consider to be your "typical" stay and compare using the app (or charts, but the app is really easy to use, and its free). This will give you the best idea how many points you want. Any point bought directly from Disney (Blue Card) can be used at Riviera, resale point purchased anywhere else cannot. Discounts are pretty meager except for annual passes. The special Blue Card only events don't happen all that often and are tough to get into even if you have a Blue Card, so I wouldn't count on those either. Don't forget to factor in Maintenance fees. There is a pretty big difference between resorts for those with BLT and SSR on the low end, RIV and AKV on the high end. When you look at the long-term, you will spend more on Maintenance Fees than the initial cost of points.
Thank you. so you would recommend SSR over AKV? I know last minute trips are nearly impossible with DVC and most trips would have to be planned at 11-7 mo. But is a one bedroom likely within 3-4 mo? If so, which resort would it most likely be in? SSR? If that’s the case, I’d rather own somewhere like AKV. I think.... I really don’t know anymore. It’s quite confusing. I do own in other systems and can book SSR with RCI points, when available.

Thank you. so you would recommend SSR over AKV? I know last minute trips are nearly impossible with DVC and most trips would have to be planned at 11-7 mo. But is a one bedroom likely within 3-4 mo? If so, which resort would it most likely be in? SSR? If that’s the case, I’d rather own somewhere like AKV. I think.... I really don’t know anymore. It’s quite confusing. I do own in other systems and can book SSR with RCI points, when available.
I would pick AKL it’s one of our favorites and so unique having the animals. It’s easy to do a resort only stay there. AKL has higher MFs than SSR, but typically if you are going to find something last minute it will be at SSR. The 11 month window is good at SSR if you want to stay in the treehouses or at very busy holiday times, otherwise it’s the easiest to stay at in the 7mo window.

I would pick AKL it’s one of our favorites and so unique having the animals. It’s easy to do a resort only stay there. AKL has higher MFs than SSR, but typically if you are going to find something last minute it will be at SSR. The 11 month window is good at SSR if you want to stay in the treehouses or at very busy holiday times, otherwise it’s the easiest to stay at in the 7mo window.
I thought the tree house units were at copper creek....this may change things. Is a 2 bedroom or tree house “easy” or “possible” at 7 mo?

CC has cabins but the treehouses are part of SSR. The treehouses are a wonderful quiet place to stay and aren’t too expensive point wise as compared to a CCV cabin or poly bungalow. Sometimes you can find them in the off seasons at 7mo but usually they get booked out by SSR owners.

SSR has the best availability so if you are someone who will ONLY book inside the 7 month window I would ONLY buy there. Reason being, you give up the benefit of booking 7-11 months out anyway, and it's a good value. That doesn't mean you will only ever stay at SSR if you do that - there are people who have done just that and NEVER stay @ SSR. It's a good strategy, just be sure that you'd be happy staying @ SSR too (it's nice - we passed because of the bad reputation the bus transportation has there and the kids didn't really like it when we did the tour). If you can commit 11 months out, then buy where you want to stay - otherwise you may get shut out from ever staying there. That said, if you are looking for 1br's those are easiest to get.

I will also say this; if you took a tour, the guide probably tried to sell you on being able to bank and borrow and stay at places far in excess of the points you buy if you don't plan on going every year. That's sortof right. The practical fact is you never book exactly the # of points you own each year. The points charts change, things like the COVID 50% borrowing limit come into play, etc. That's why banking and borrowing is so nice - it is a means to not have points expire. Just saying, if you buy thinking you'll go every 3rd year and buy just enough points to make that stay happen, that's probably not going to work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!