• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fires in Vero Beach?

Maistre Gracey

DIS Veteran
Has anyone heard this? My MIL and BIL told my wife and me that there were wild fires in Vero Beach. I knew there were some earlier in Miami, but I was not aware of any in VB.

If this is true, are any roads closed in the area? We are leaving for WDW in the morning, and will be driving to Vero on the 18th.

Thanx! :cool:

MG

Never doubt the in-laws....there may have been brush fires. I found this article about how grateful they were for the rain Sunday/Monday because they were in such a dry situation they had fire warnings posted. Sounds like they got rain, high winds (that knocked out power lots of places) and are now running pretty cool with daytime temps in the 60's.

Rain Brings Relief From Wildfires

Yes there were. My sister told me about them a couple of days ago. One of them was off 95 and they had to lose it down for a little while. The other one was off Oslo Road going back west(towards 95). It has yet to be determined what caused them. I will keep ya'll informed!!

Thanks for the link Pam. I'll have to give my uncle a call (lives in Sebastian) and see how things are.

We were there during the last week of March and they were not able to have a real fire at the camp fire because of the dry weather. They have to call the Fire Marshal to see if it is OK to have a real fire. They had some logs on wheels with a light in the middle to simulate a fire (pretty weak but we understood). They used marshmellow paste to make the smores.

Across the street in the wooded trail you will notice some palm trees with some charred bark. The naturalist said this was from a wild fire that burned there before the resort was built.

Hey M.G. have a great trip,
I'll be watching for your report on the fire situation. We'll be there on the 1st of May.::MickeyMo

I live in the area--and our newspaper hadn't had any word about fires (we usually here about it if there was). The last major fires were when hubby and i got married in '98--since then...only spots of fires have happened..and most have been under control. None lately though--except for Melbourne and north to Titusville.

Call the resort directly and ask them if you are concerned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter