Filthy Bathrooms!

The cleanest bathrooms I saw on my last trip were in Africa at AK. The dirtiest we’re outside Launch Bay in HS. Just gross.

Whilst I agree that Disney should be contacted about dirty and broken bathroom facilities -- they shouldn't have to be told about something like this. o_O They really 'should' be on top of bathroom cleanliness and efficiency, especially with all these huge price rises!

I know there can be 'guests' who behave pretty disgustingly in bathrooms and leave a mess behind, but they tend to care less and behave worse if the bathroom they use is already a mess. There's a different psychology when entering a clean facility.

As Roy's granddaughter has written, exec bonuses wouldn't have to be touched much to improve employee money and motivation. They could, at least, certainly afford to employ a few more custodian CMs. Making a bigger profit than ever at the expense of basic cleanliness and hygiene is not very Mary Poppins.

Plus, Disney already know how to do better! ::yes::::yes::::yes::

Since Disney actively markets the concepts of magic and fantasy, I understand the hesitation of some folks to accept any kind of reality intrusion into their concept of "the world". "If I didn't see it, it didn't happen" is certainly one way to keep the magic alive. Having said that, my wife has nominated the bathroom between Casey's and Crystal Palace on April 24, 2019 as our entry into the filthy bathroom sweepstakes. Not good, even by gas station standards. I'm sure someone did come by and clean the restroom at some point, but timing is everything when it comes to buffets and bathrooms!

At the last Food & Wine Festival, I had the unpleasant experience of stopping in for a quick pit stop at the American Pavilion restroom. The men's bathroom was quite full, and about 5 of us were waiting in a small line. 2 guys came in, and I can only assume that they had a few too many adult beverages, decided "why wait" and proceeded to make use of the sinks for something other then washing their hands. Felt like I was at Grand Central Station instead of Disney! :crazy2:

Last edited:

Just left AKL on our way home from a 9 day visit. I only encountered clean bathrooms this stay and I used them a lot! I found out that Tusker beer does not agree with me so ...... but anyway, I did find my fav restroom on Disney property. The Boat House in Disney Springs.

About 5 years ago, I made a comment about how every blade of grass seemed to be the same length, and it was not uncommon to see management staff bend down and pick up a dirty napkin off the ground.
Over the last few years, things haven't been quite as orderly. I wouldn't say it's horrible, but that level of cleanliness was a HUGE part of what made the MK magic.

Just used the Frontierland women’s room. 3 sinks next to each other were broken. It was mass confusion as no one could just wash their hands and leave. (Not counting the additional sink that actually had a sign saying it was broken). Also the bathroom was gross in general. I expect better of Disney.

OK. I was at Coney Island on Saturday. The amusement parks there are open on weekends in April and, believe me, it's not cheap. A day pass to one of the parks--and there are two--is $69. The rides at the other park are all a minimum of $10 each. And the good rides are kinda split between the two parks, so it's nearly impossible to get out of there for less than maybe $100/person unless you ride just one or two rides in each park. And don't eat or play skee-ball or play any win-this-stuffed-animal games, etc.

My point? OMG. You should see the public bathrooms at Coney Island. I'm specifically referring to the one under Deno's Wonder Wheel--I wasn't even in any of the large public restrooms there this weekend. But the bathroom I was in--now that was disgusting. Beyond disgusting. And the stalls don't even lock--they've got batwing doors. But a person (me) has to go to the bathroom. So I did. In the bathroom I encountered a mother and her little girl who was about 6 years old. The child utterly refused to use any of the toilets, including the not-all-that-bad one that I'd used. I've never seen anything even close to this degree of awful at WDW, and in fact many of the bathrooms at WDW are amazingly clean, especially considering how heavily trafficked they are and how uncaring many of the guests are.

In case you think I'm dissing NYC public restrooms, I'd like to put in a good word for a really beautiful public restroom that's near the corner of 42nd Street and Fifth Avenue on the south side, adjacent to the NYPL. This bathroom is always pristine and it's quite beautiful. I mean, Grand Floridian level beautiful. I've never seen the place even slightly smudgy, much less dirty. And, like the NYPL, it's free.

At the last Food & Wine Festival, I had the unpleasant experience of stopping in for a quick pit stop at the American Pavilion restroom. The men's bathroom was quite full, and about 5 of us were waiting in a small line. 2 guys came in, and I can only assume that they had a few too many adult beverages, decided "why wait" and proceeded to make use of the sinks for something other then washing their hands. Felt like I was at Grand Central Station instead of Disney! :crazy2:

Now this is a whole new level of ridiculousness!! I’m sorry you had to experience that, those guests should have been evicted from the park!

Did Craig and Corey at least apologize afterwards?

We could blame Disney for not keeping up on the bathrooms, but lets not pretend we don't see people make messes that they could 100% be cleaning up themselves. Nothing irks me more than when people have the mentality of, "this is someone's job, therefore I don't have to care about this", and don't pick up their used towel that didn't land in the trash when they threw it, or don't wipe up their urine left behind on the toilet seat. For as busy Disney is, there should 100% be more attention paid to bathrooms, but we as people should be cleaning up after ourselves. It's not the cleaning staff's job to flush the toilet for people, it's their job to keep the bathroom stocked with paper products, common sense wiping of counter and sweeping, cleaning of mirrors, etc...

Most of the time I would blame guests for some of the conditions of the bathrooms. I have seen children and adults - yes, adults - throw paper on the floor, splatter water, etc. with no thought or concern - both should know better, just don't care. I have seen harried CM's trying to keep up with the cleaning. Some people act like filthy pigs in public.

Otherwise in the 48 years of going to WDW, I have never really seen the bathrooms as described here. Have never seen filthy or broken, just terribly sloppy, especially during rains. (not saying things haven't been broken - just haven't witnessed any). None of this bothers me as I don't see it as a cleanliness issue - can't fix rude guests!
AMEN!!!! PREACH!!!!

I don't think it's blown out of proportion at all.

Years ago, Disney was CLEAN. The bathrooms, the walkways, the restaurants, the rides, all of it. Today, the bathrooms just aren't. I see trash in the bushes. I see trash on the rides. Vehicles are dirty. Have you ever seen the parking tram pictures Kathy posts (and I've seen them myself plenty of times). Disney used to care and keep up with all of that stuff. They used to repaint things EVERY NIGHT. Those days are long gone.
But is that a change in Disney's standards? Or is that a change in levels of respect and appreciation? Why do people feel comfortable throwing trash in the bushes or leaving trash in ride vehicles? ESPECIALLY when trash cans are dang near everywhere? That's just pure laziness and lack of respect, in my opinion.Of course lack of staff will play a role in this, but over all, I wish people were holding themselves to a higher standard and RESPECTING the parks...

Last edited:
Absolutely disgusting and disgraceful...imagine having to clean up after nimrods like THIS!

But is that a change in Disney's standards? Or is that a change in levels of respect and appreciation?
It's both, for sure. Disney's standards have changed. Sure there's a trash can every 10 feet but if that trash can is overflowing, trash is going to end up stacked on top and falling onto the ground. Things like chipped paint, burned out light bulbs, and worn out tram seats are all on Disney.

But guest behavior has declined too. It's not Disney's fault at all if someone tosses an empty Coke bottle into the bushes, but it's Disney's fault if that bottle is still there hours later.

I think it is a change in Disney standards above all. I could be way off here and there will be good years and bad years, but it seems like Disney is investing in the ultra-modern ride technology and IP experience while pulling back on what makes it great (for me anyway) in the first place. Sure, people should be more considerate and clean up after themselves, but there was a time when Disney kept up with it more.

Now that's just freaking NASTY, and uncivilized. Makes me wonder what their homes look like. I probably don't even WANT to know! :sad2:

And nobody in this busy bathroom decided to alert security about this why...?

By the way, this is surprising, I use the American Adventure bathroom often (to the right of the entrance, if this is in fact the one you mean), and I think I’ve only ever seen one or two other people in there total in all my times using it! Not doubting you, just stating my surprise.

After all this time, I just realized that this topic, Filthy Bathrooms, is right near the other topic, What's Up With All the Farting. Hope they're not somehow related.

The stuff I notice at o'dark thirty on a Friday. Maybe I need to get more sleep, or a new hobby???!!! :jester:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!