• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Film destroyed in Airports???

I know most of you are flying within the US, but I thought I would post Rule #5

Rule #5. When in a foreign country if the gurard says no hand check put the film thru the scanner. I have had some guards just get MAD that I thought their scanner might damage my film. My feeling is I ask once and then I put it thru the scanner. I really don't want to see a jail cell over the stupid film!!!! (I kind of think the same way about the TSA. There are always a few people who get carried away with power and I would rather not miss my flight while they demonstrate it by searching everything in minute detail!)

Several years ago I attended a Nikon one day seminar. The professional photographers who travel around the world will advise you not to run any film thru the xray machines. If you run the film thru one time very little will happen if it is under 800asa. However, multiple exposures will impact the film. For example, we went on the Disney Cruise in Jan. The first exposure was at the aiport, second getting on the cruise ship, third is when we docked and disembarked. We were checked again to board. This is three exposures. If you are traveling aboard ( not now) you could easy it several checkpoints in a short period of time.

Also, the FAA regulations did require security to provide a hand check if it is requested. I am not sure if this regulations has been changed. I do like the idea of using a lead lined bag to protect the film. I may look into this on my next trip the camera store.

If you use a lead lined bag for film and tapes will you definitely be asked to pull them out of your luggage for hand check at the far end of Xray? I guess my question is what does the bag look like in the Xray - can they see through it or do they automatically pull it because they can't? If it means an automatic hand check of the bag, I would rather put it in my smallest carry on, whichever one has the least amount of 'stuff' to empty out. Or is it better to put the lead lined bag on separately, hopefully avoiding search of my entire carry on? thanks! - this is a great tip - I will definitely invest in one for future travel - don't like taking any risks with my photos!

I had six rolls of 800 speed film in my suitcase. When asked if I had any undeveloped film in the suitcase....I just don't know what I was thinking, I said no. I worried about it the whole trip home and they all came out just fine...but that was only one exposure to x-ray.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter