• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Film destroyed in Airports???

lcborn2run

Mouseketeer
My friend told me she heard that new security/xray machines in the airports can erase your undeveloped film. Is this true?

Thank you....

The machines do have warnings about film. They suggest you carry on undeveloped film.

On New Year's Day, I flew home from Disneyland with my son's high school band. My bag was one of the first of our group (amid the chaos you'd expect traveling with a group of teenagers) through the machine before any of us noticed the signs. All my film went through including pictures of the band marching in front of the parade. I was near tears! The security guys said it might or might not have hurt the film - higher ASA is more likely to be hurt. My film was 400 ASA.

The story has a happy ending - I had my film processed the next day and everything was fine. Great pictures of kids, the band and incredible crowds on New Year's Eve. But, I won't take this chance again. When we go to WDW in March (52 days - I can't wait!), I'll carry my film on.

Karen

Even the old x-ray machines could wreck film - the best thing to do if you have film in your carry-on is to hand both the film and your camera to the security people so they can look it over without putting it through the machine. It's much better for your film that way!

Originally posted by lilsonicfan
Even the old x-ray machines could wreck film - the best thing to do if you have film in your carry-on is to hand both the film and your camera to the security people so they can look it over without putting it through the machine. It's much better for your film that way!

I tried handing my film over to a security person on my last trip to WDW and they told me to put it through the machine anyways...so they may or may not do a hand search. Especially since they found that box cutter on the plane just recently.

I believe if you place the film in carry on luggage and don't check it you will be OK. I did this and my pictures came out fine. And yes they did run it though the x-ray machine.

My understanding is that is the xray machines for checked luggage that you need to worry about, which is why you should pack film in your carry on bag. When I flew out of Hartford a few weeks ago, there were signs at the security checkpoint that the xray machines used for carryons were safe for film of less that 800 speed, but also stating that if you prefered, you could give your film to the security staff to check by hand rather than passing it through the machine. I've always put my film in my carryon, and have never had problems with it being ruined.

Suggest putting the film in a Ziploc or similar poly bag and letting it go tyhrogh the machine separately from the suitcase itself full of differnt items. This way it is less likely to sit under the X-rays while the attendant fidgets with the controls. Leave some space on the belt between the suitcase and the film bag and between the film bag and your coat/shoes so the film bag is further away from the X-rays while the attendant peruses the suitcase and the shoes.

Others have suggested using one hour developing service before returning home. I do not recommend these services in the gift shops along 192 and other tourist trap areas, have actually had bad lukc such as some pictures got spoiled. Wal-Mart (if you can find them) should be OK.

More Disney tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

9/65 Disneyland
3/75 World Inn (now Doubletree Club)
4/85 Kon-Tiki (now Econolodge Hawaiian)
'80s Disneyland once or twice
7/94 Dixie Landings (now Port Orleans Riverside)
9/97 All Star Music
11/98 ASMu & first premium annual pass
12/98 Knights Inn on 192
9/99 All Star Movies
12/00 All Star Sports & PAP#2
9/01 ASSp
11/01 ASSp
1/03 Motel 6 & ASSp & PAP#3
11/03 Pop Century planned

Only 800-speed and higher film can be damaged by the x-ray machines, although there are warnings on packages of all speeds of film (I guess to keep the companies covered in case something does happen).

I tried putting the film in a clear bag and letting the security person check it without it going through the x-ray machine, but she wouldn't do it. She was actually really rude about it, too. She could have checked it in the time it took her to argue with me about it! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Now I just put my film in my carry on and hope for the best!

I just came back from Seattle about 3 weeks ago and since all I use is 800 speed film, I was able to have security hand check it. I plan to do the same Thursday morning when we head out (!!!)
and if I find I need extra film (than the 6 or so rolls I already have) I plan to head over to Walmart for film.
The security people at Providence and Sea-Tac were fine with hand checking my camera and film; hopefully they'll be just as pleasant at Logan and on the way home :)

Due to new security you are no longer allowed to take you film out of your bag so it does not get x-rayed ( a procedure I have encountered in many airports). You can buy lead lined film bags (each bag holds 20 or so rolls of film) in a camera store. The bags cost about $25.00 each and will completely protect your film. It is a great investment and will last forever. Even the slightest x ray will alter your film somewhat. We have used the film bag for a few years now and no longer worry about our film, pictures always look great. Film bags are the way to go!

The skycap at MCO told us to remove all film from checked luggage. I didn't understand this until I went inside and saw the size of the new luggage x-ray machines. They're bigger than MRI machines. These new ones must be more powerful than what they used to use. It's better than them opening the suitcase which is what happened in Hartford.

I checked with a friend who is a photographer. It is the checked baggage XRays that can damage undeveloped film. And it is true, it is 800 speed, BUT, he recommends not taking any chances. If you carry on your film,you have to out your film through Xrays, but they aren't harmful. Also, carry on video tapes. I had a digital tape ruined in checked baggage. I believe it was demagnetized, but I am not sure. It was just unusable and unwatchable after I got home.

Last week on our return from WDW I had the same panic when I realized that the checked luggage was xrayed - too late to do anything about it. But our film was fine. We use those disposable cameras and I think it was 400 speed. Pictures came out great.

I have always carried my film on and I have always allowed it to go thru the scanners. I have done this in Europe and other places and I use a combination of 800 and 400 films. Never had any problems.

If you are really scared, just get it developed in Orlando.

We flew out of Logan Airport in Boston last month and I asked the security people to hand-check my camera and film. They said it was okay to put it through the x-ray, but I said I had 800 speed film, so they took the camera and film and hand-checked it. They didn't seem to mind doing so. At Orlando International, I also asked to have it hand-checked and they were happy to do so. I don't know if it would have gone through without doing any damage, but I just felt better knowing that it didn't go through x-rays. Interestingly, it took my husband forever to get through security at Orlando's airport. He had to take off his shoes, empty his pockets of change and keys, take off his belt, and he still kept setting off the alarm. Finally, he checked his shirt pocket and removed a roll of lifesavers and the alarm stopped. The foil in the lifesaver roll was the culprit! :)

Welcome to the Dis luvflorida. I've only had one situation where the security people didn't hand check my camara. For the most part, I think if you ask then they'll check it for you.

Steven

We flew out of Chicago's O'Hare and we were not allowed to have the film handchecked.

The signs on the machines say that it is undeveloped film of the higher speed that is mainly in danger.

rule one: never put your film in your checked baggage!
rule two: always carry it with you in your carry-on
rule three: take film out of individual plasic cases and drop it all in a see thru plastic bag.
rule four: ask for a hand check.

I have a lead lined bag for film. I have found that the security people are cool about hand checking film when it is in a lead lined bag. They have to.
I don't take any chances. I'm a photographer and always insist on a hand check.
It is true that faster films are at most risk.

Don't forget that if you have a roll of film currently in your camera that you will have to hand check that too. I try to have an empty camera when I go to airport, but sometimes I can't avoid it.

I take all my film out of the black plastic film cans (unless I am using Fuji, which uses see through cans) and pack them in a clear plastic zippered pouch ( our kitchen curtains came in this pouch). I then handed it to the security officer at the baggage check and POLITELY ASKED if this could PLEASE be hand checked, I had some High Speed and B&W film that I did not wanrt to be damaged by the exray. They joked about "charging extra" or "now I have to work harder" but they had NO PROBLEM in doing so. they did the swab test to check for explosive material and inspected them closely....

When I got to the gate, I took the empty film cans from my carry on and returned the film to thier little canisters.

This seemed to work for me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter