Favorite things to do in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg?

maslex

DIS Veteran
We are heading to TN next month. Haven't been in a few years, so I'm sure there are new things to explore. Will be traveling with our son 28, his wife and two sons (9 and 2) What are some recommendations to do with them. So far, I'm pretty sure we're doing Dollywood. Daughter in law wants to do the Titantic attraction. I remember bringing my boys when they were young, to Wonderworks. I know the 9yr old would have fun in there. Anything for a toddler? My son/grandson want to do a mountain coaster (not sure the name).

Other than that, we don't have much else planned. We'll be there for a week. I know we all want to do a dinner show. Just not sure which one yet. We have done a few when we were there a few years back.

So any suggestions would be helpful and is there anything to stay away from?

Cades Cove is one of my favorite places to go. It's an 11 mile loop in your vehicle that has old cabins, churches, buildings, visitors center and more than likely some bears, deer and other animals. Search it online to see more details but it's a great place to visit in my opinion.

We like to rent those atvs that you can drive on the streets. Take one up to the roaring fork nature trail. So much fun! They make them for 6.

The titanic museum is good. Dollywood has something for all ages. We did the crime museum at the island in pigeon forge.

For the adults, there is a pub in the village. It’s so neat! We saw kids in there too.

I really enjoyed the crime museum. They also have a Titanic thing there too. I have not been to that in Pigeon Forge (I did the one in Branson), but I assume it would be just as fun.

We didn't do much of the touristy town things when we visited that area, but I have a few tips/thoughts for GSMNP.

1. If you drive Cades Cove Loop, do it early. We had some timing issues with our visit, could only go in the afternoon, and we saw absolutely zero wildlife...likely due to the afternoon heat.
2. Check the Cades Cove Loop schedule. I was looking in the wrong spot pre-trip and didn't see that the day I was planning was closed to automotive vehicles. So plan accordingly.
3. If you plan to hike up to Clingmans Dome, consider going later in the day. We went in the early morning and there was full cloud/fog cover. We had less than 1/4 mile visibility the early morning we went.

Last edited:
Cades Cove is one of my favorite places to go. It's an 11 mile loop in your vehicle that has old cabins, churches, buildings, visitors center and more than likely some bears, deer and other animals. Search it online to see more details but it's a great place to visit in my opinion.
Oh yes. Forgot about this. We did visit it on our last trip and saw a mama bear and two cubs, up close and personal. So cool. My husband is going to
We didn't do much of the touristy town things when we visited that area, but I have a few tips/thoughts for GSMNP.

1. If you drive Cades Cove Loop, do it early. We had some timing issues with our visit, could only go in the afternoon, and we saw absolutely zero wildlife...likely due to the afternoon heat.
2. Check the Cades Cove Loop schedule. I was looking in the wrong spot pre-trip and didn't see that the day I was planning was closed to automotive vehicles. So plan accordingly.
3. If you plan to hike up to Clingmans Dome, consider going later in the day. We went in the early morning and there was full cloud/fog cover. We had less than 1/4 mile visibility the early morning we went.
We did drive through Cades Cove Loop the last time we were in TN. And saw a few bears (esp mama with two cubs, so cool) I think we did a morning drive that day. And my husband plans on biking the loop on the day that it's closed to vehicles. :)

Oh yes. Forgot about this. We did visit it on our last trip and saw a mama bear and two cubs, up close and personal. So cool. My husband is going to

We did drive through Cades Cove Loop the last time we were in TN. And saw a few bears (esp mama with two cubs, so cool) I think we did a morning drive that day. And my husband plans on biking the loop on the day that it's closed to vehicles. :)
I've biked it once. Tell him to bring his hill legs. The hills about did me in. :)

Get some picnic stuff and go to the Chimneys picnic area. It’s right by the West Prong of the Little Pigeon River. I could bring food, books, and games and stay there all day long.

It’s a very popular area, so get there early to ensure a prime spot with a good view of the river.

We like to rent those atvs that you can drive on the streets. Take one up to the roaring fork nature trail. So much fun! They make them for 6.

The titanic museum is good. Dollywood has something for all ages. We did the crime museum at the island in pigeon forge.

For the adults, there is a pub in the village. It’s so neat! We saw kids in there too.
You are talking about the irish pub back around to the right by that art gallery/store?

We are heading to TN next month. Haven't been in a few years, so I'm sure there are new things to explore. Will be traveling with our son 28, his wife and two sons (9 and 2) What are some recommendations to do with them. So far, I'm pretty sure we're doing Dollywood. Daughter in law wants to do the Titantic attraction. I remember bringing my boys when they were young, to Wonderworks. I know the 9yr old would have fun in there. Anything for a toddler? My son/grandson want to do a mountain coaster (not sure the name).

Other than that, we don't have much else planned. We'll be there for a week. I know we all want to do a dinner show. Just not sure which one yet. We have done a few when we were there a few years back.

So any suggestions would be helpful and is there anything to stay away from?
1. National Park
2. Donut Friar
3. Sky Fly (Soarin' knockoff)
4. Apple Barn

We went in Jan 24 and enjoyed it!

You are talking about the irish pub back around to the right by that art gallery/store?
I think we are talking about the same thing. The Village is that little area back behind the pancake pantry. The pub can print a picture on top of the foam on your Guinness. Pretty cool.

I think we are talking about the same thing. The Village is that little area back behind the pancake pantry. The pub can print a picture on top of the foam on your Guinness. Pretty cool.
yep same place. The Village is my favorite part of Gatlingburg. That and Tom & Earls Back Alley Grill

Favorite thing to do in that area is absolutely the national park, by far. Beyond that we've had fun poking around the artists along the arts and crafts trail and enjoyed bits of Dollywood.

The Island
Anakeesta
Sky Bridge
Our favorite restaurants are The Old Mill, Huck Finn’s, Applewood Farmhouse, Local Goat, Corky’s and Bennett’s for BBQ, Quaker Steak and Lube.

We like the Cades Cove loop and the Roaring Fork Motor Trail for rides through the National Park. We did the Gatlinburg SkyBridge our last trip, and it was fun. We haven't been to Anakeesta yet, but would like to sometime.

We really like the Titanic museum. It looks like they have a special limited-time exhibit based on the movie starting on Friday:
https://titanicpigeonforge.com/titanic-movie-memorabilia-on-display/

We also like The Island in Pigeon Forge and riding the Great Smoky Mountain Wheel there.

For something a little out of the ordinary, we like the Bush's Beans Visitors Center and Museum in nearby Chestnut Hill, TN (about 20-30 minutes from Pigeon Forge). The small museum there is really neat, and the cafe there has good food for lunch.

We did Cades Cove a few weeks ago. Saw two bears. Advice- go when it opens!!!! We arrived around 10am, and it was backed up to the visitors center/entrance. When we e tied the line was backed up at least two miles down the highway.

Hike to a waterfall in the smokies.
Dollywood/Splash country.
Mini Golf.
Cherokee Steakhouse.
Ristorante Della Santina.
Mountain coasters.
See a Dinner Show. Pick one with the theme you want. Pirates, lumberjacks, Dolly's stampede, etc, etc.
Do the Wine tasting trail. You get a free glass at your third stop. (But two stops are at the apple barn) On our 5th stop, they had a different gift. But we asked for another glass instead, which they gave us.
Do some shine tasting.
Go carting.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest