• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Favorite Shoes for Disney Theme Parks

We just got back from the parks today in crocks, we are Florida residents do we live in these shoes. The best ugly shoes with the most support. I wear socks with mine because it's my preference my kids never do.
Do you have any issues with them being slippery when wet? I wear Crocs around the house, and when I get out of the shower, my wet feet slip and slide all over the place, sometimes turning sideways in the shoe. I would be afraid to wear them outdoors in heavy rain. It’s not the sole that slips, it’s the inside, at least for me.

I wear Propet Wash and Wear Walkers to the parks. They are leather walking shoes that can be thrown in the washing machine, so getting soaked doesn’t hurt them. I bring a spare pair, so if they get totally soaked from walking in ankle deep puddles I can let the wet pair dry a day before wearing them again. I need more support than I can get with flip flops, or I would give them a try.

Whatever you buy, practice before you go and make sure you know what to expect. Drench the shoes (thoroughly soaked through) and your feet and go walk two miles in the sun. My sandals foot bed was a bit more slippery than I expected, but not so bad I needed to find a different option since the support they offered and the quick dry material was great. I have had other sandals in the past that were just miserable when they were wet because they rubbed my feet and caused blisters quickly. They were great dry, but when fully soaked through, they were painful until they fully dried and the strap material took longer to dry than I would have guessed.

I have foot/knee issues that require specific orthopedic shoes, so I have found that waterproof shoe covers are my best option. I use them in rain storms at home as well so I am comfortable wearing them around. Some have better traction/grip than others, and there is a learning curve in figuring out how to get them on and off. If I have to wear them all day my feet do get sweaty, but that rarely happens - most of the time I've got them on for an hour at most and then I pull them off and tuck them into a waterproof bag until I need them again.

I HAVE to wear sneakers (with arch support insoles) for the kind of walking I do at Disney parks.

I bring 1-2 pairs of extra socks; just changing into dry socks once the rain ends is enough for me.

I usually use water shoes when I think I am going to get wet. I personally really like Jambu brand shoes, because I don't get hot spots from them. I think that is the critical thing, finding something that doesn't have friction points when they get wet.

We carry a pair of flip flop/ sandals in our backpack in the park. Any sign of rain, we put them on and put our tennis shoes in the backpack to stay dry. Once the rain stops and puddles are all drained off the concrete walks, you can switch back and a simple slap against the bench you are sitting on will wick away the moisture from the sandals. We also bring a washcloth from the hotel room to dry wet feet so we can put the socks and sneakers back on-it has many uses throughout the day. ;) You wouldn't believe how nice it feels to have a change of footwear, too, mid day! My boy scout taught me this! Even if it doesn't rain, we can change into a pair of sandals that, just the simple change of a footbed, helps the feet to relax the muscles and revive. I wear Vionic flip flops and so does my Husband. They are definitely not a shoe you can just put on the first time and go, though. Vionics have a break in period for your arches. A few hours a day for a few weeks leading up to the trip and your feet will thank you!
At home I wear Spenco yumi plus sandals (they have some arch support built in. The straps on the Vionics are too roomy (maybe made for high arches?) and they cause blisters, but my teen wears vionic beech noosa flip flops (pool/home).

I have foot/knee issues that require specific orthopedic shoes, so I have found that waterproof shoe covers are my best option. I use them in rain storms at home as well so I am comfortable wearing them around. Some have better traction/grip than others, and there is a learning curve in figuring out how to get them on and off. If I have to wear them all day my feet do get sweaty, but that rarely happens - most of the time I've got them on for an hour at most and then I pull them off and tuck them into a waterproof bag until I need them again.
Is there a particular brand? I bought some for an overseas vacation (don’t know where they are now) and never used them.

Edit: be careful that you don’t buy something that just barely covers the ankles/laces. If you are using something like this, most likely you are walking in rain that is several inches above your ankle (our experience at AK last year).

3D720857-85DF-487F-8F9C-2EA3CB84A91D.jpeg

Last edited:
I am usually warm in Florida so I wear either Z-Strap or Croc flips. Both provide arch support and are non-slip, the Crocs being better at the inside foot slippage.

Is there a particular brand? I bought some for an overseas vacation (don’t know where they are now) and never used them.

Edit: be careful that you don’t buy something that just barely covers the ankles/laces. If you are using something like this, most likely you are walking in rain that is several inches above your ankle (our experience at AK last year).

View attachment 704261

Definitely agree on getting some that cover the ankles if you do go this route - I know it's not for everyone, but if you need supportive footwear or have someone in your group who must wear tennis shoes, they can be a good alternative to walking around in soaking wet shoes.

I wish I could find the brand of the ones I like best, but unfortunately I don't know and I haven't been able to find them again online. I bought them about 4 or 5 years ago and loved them so I bought 2 more pairs for myself, and then DS wanted a pair for our WDW trip and I couldn't find them again. I bought him a different brand off Amazon and they worked okay but not as great as the others. Mine have a very distinct tread on the bottoms and a little thicker sole, they go up the ankle a bit and have a drawstring with toggles to tighten them around my legs. I was afraid that they would feel like walking with plastic bags tied around my shoes, but they had good traction and I only had a few drips that made it past the drawstring. They do get dirty and need to be rinsed off and hung up to dry, but they dry faster than my shoes and are easier to carry around than trying to bring another pair of giant orthopedic shoes with me.

Original poster here:
I ended up just buying the shoes in the first post, they were on sale for $22 so even if I don't bring them to Disney, I'll wear them for something.

They are much more comfortable than the croc flats I used to have. Not as hard/inflexible, more foamy almost. They look cute enough on. Good color. 'll wear them before trip, break them in. Try them out in rain here. Can definitely wear a no-show sock with it.

They weigh next to nothing, so I'll just throw them in a suitcase and if I don't wear them, no big loss.

Thank you everyone.

What is your favorite shoe for Disney? I'm on the quest to find the perfect shoe for all the walking that is water resistant and doesn't cause blisters. Blisters tend to be my biggest issue. I'm going in May so I want to get something now and have plenty of time to test them out and break them in.

I would recommend going to a running store and getting your feet measured. Not every style of shoe will fit every person.

I did this and ended up getting a pair of wide fit Hokas. I will never go back to any other shoe. They're SO comfortable! I'm here right now and I notice a lot of people wearing Hokas.

Shulook makes a waterproof shoe that was perfect during my September (2022) trip. Not waterproof if you step in a deep puddle but for the heavy summer rain they were great. Got back to the resort after hours of rain and my socks were still dry.

What is your favorite shoe for Disney? I'm on the quest to find the perfect shoe for all the walking that is water resistant and doesn't cause blisters. Blisters tend to be my biggest issue. I'm going in May so I want to get something now and have plenty of time to test them out and break them in.
Your question has been merged with a recent thread that contains a lot of helpful information on this topic.

I have a pair of chunky white skechers that I have worn travelling ALL over. I have done probably a hundred thousand steps in these shoes and they are still so so comfortable. I have the arch support ones. So for me, skechers win every time!

I have a pair of chunky white skechers that I have worn travelling ALL over. I have done probably a hundred thousand steps in these shoes and they are still so so comfortable. I have the arch support ones. So for me, skechers win every time!

Do you know which ones? I do really like Skechers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter