Favorite cheeses to use in homemade mac & cheese?

We bought a mac n cheese cookbook at my son's request. We been experimenting with the recipes letting the kids pick out what sounds good. We used a recipe that called for Romano last night. It was very good. Their favorite was with gouda cheese.

I use mostly sharp cheddar, and then whatever else I have on hand. Usually a little mozzarella, some pepper jack, maybe some Colby jack. I top mine with Panko crumbs and bake it. Delicious!

Sharp cheddar and a clean out of the cheese bin in the fridge turns into the best Mac and cheese. I also use Pioneer woman's recipe.

....I use sharp cheddar, Colby, Chees-Whiz [from a jar], and Monterey Jack, all mixed in with melted butter, half'n'half, and a small dollop of Grey Poupon. That all gets mixed with the cooked elbow macaroni. After I pour it into a casserole dish, I sprinkle more shredded cheese on top...

We start with a good base of cheddar and then add in other chesses. Favorites include manchego and gruyere.

My mom's recipe uses cheddar, cream cheese and parmesan (not the green can). It is very good.

I made it with smoked gouda and that was also very good.

Those who said they use parm cheese, is it the kind in the green bottle or actual shredded parm cheese? I know, dumb question. LOL

If you want "real" parm get the solid round from the deli section. If you buy the shredded stuff, check the ingredients. If it mentions cellulose to reduce clumping, that means you have some wood filler in your cheese. No thanks. If you're using the green can you might as well use the box of mac and cheese.

Usually just cheddar I made one with just goats cheese which was pretty good just not strong enough.

I use extra sharp cheddar and pepper jack- I like it to have a bit of a "kick"- I also add in some red pepper flakes.

If you want "real" parm get the solid round from the deli section. If you buy the shredded stuff, check the ingredients. If it mentions cellulose to reduce clumping, that means you have some wood filler in your cheese. No thanks. If you're using the green can you might as well use the box of mac and cheese.

No need to sensationalize it, even though NPR did the same with their title, lol.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...rganic-valley-youre-probably-eating-wood-pulp

The stuff in the green bottle isn't cheese, LOL. Actual shredded parm is the only thing I use.

No need to sensationalize it, even though NPR did the same with their title, lol.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...rganic-valley-youre-probably-eating-wood-pulp
:confused3 What is it then? It certainly smells like cheese. I love the way the grated (as they call it on the can) stuff crusts up under the broiler; I use it to top quite a few things actually.

:confused3 What is it then? It certainly smells like cheese. I love the way the grated (as they call it on the can) stuff crusts up under the broiler; I use it to top quite a few things actually.

It absolutely is cheese, with cellulose and potassium sorbate as additives, which are in many, many foods that people eat daily, including baking mixes, yogurt and wine.

It absolutely is cheese, with cellulose and potassium sorbate as additives, which are in many, many foods that people eat daily, including baking mixes, yogurt and wine.
Good to know; thanks for the info. Either way, I wasn't planning on stopping using it. :wave2:

LOL - I guess I'll just sit here and prepare to be "cheese-shamed" by the shredded-parm-only snobs! :snooty: At least I can still feel superior to the Velveeta and Cheez Whiz people.

Last edited:
Good to know; thanks for the info. Either way, I wasn't planning on stopping using it. :wave2:

LOL - I guess I'll just sit here an prepare to be "cheese-shamed" by the shredded-parm-only snobs! :snooty: At least I can still feel superior to the Velveeta and CheezeWhiz people.

I'm with you! Grated or shredded parm, yes! Velveeta or CheezeWiz, not so much! :)

I stopped making mine with the white sauce and started layering it and found its more melty if that is even a word! I pre cook pasta. Put a layer in a 9x13 pan that has been greased. Put sharp cheddar cheese and american cheese layered with little pats of butter and sprinkle with flour. Layer this until the pan is full and then cover with milk until you see the milk come to the top of the pan. Bake at 350 until thick and gooey.

White sauce base with Vermont extra sharp cheese then finished off with Townhouse crackers in the oven.

Yes, but when I use cheese, I want it to be all cheese. And it's really easy to buy a piece of parm and shred it in the food processor or blender. Or even to do it by hand. Or to buy shredded cheese that is 100% cheese if you don't want to do it yourself.

Just curious what you're favorite combination of cheeses are to use in homemade mac. My DS19 has requested this for his birthday dinner. His birthday is tomorrow but since he's working, I'll be making this on Monday night. We all love an ooey-gooey mac & cheese cooked on the stove top but he's requesting for me to finish it off in the oven for a little bit with some cracker crumbs on top.

I've made it before with Velveeta and that's okay and I've done it before with just plain cheddar and again, that's ok. But I'm looking for something with a little extra flavor maybe. I'd like to try something with a couple different cheeses to give it some oomph.

Any suggestions?

I use about 60% sharp cheddar, and the rest a mix of provolone, american, swiss, fontina and a bit of parmesan.

I start by making white sauce (I use butter, minced onions, and flour) then add whole milk, seasoning salt, dried mustart, and pepper, Once that boils and starts to thicken I add the cheese (about 4 cups total) and mix that with the cooked elbow macaroni. I Put it in a big 9x13 pan, add a bit more grated cheddar on top, sprinkle with bread crumbs and bake it for about 40 minutes, then turn the broiler on for a few minutes until the top browns.

No Velveeta. Never ever ever. Did I mention, NEVER?

Sharp cheddar and pepperjack for me. And definitely ground mustard!

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I did make the mac & cheese the other night and it was a big hit. My son had his girlfriend over along with his friend & his girlfriend. They ALL came back for seconds :) and his friend told me it was "amazing". Now, I don't know about that but it was pretty tasty even though it was really mild in flavor. I cooked up the noodles and put them in a 13x9. Poured a bag & a half of sharp white cheddar and a bag of velveeta (these are the 2 cheeses I had on hand) and then poured the white sauce over it. I let that sit a couple minutes while I washed a few pans. Then I stirred it all together and topped it with crushed Ritz & melted butter. Half hour later, dinner was served.

I had enough for my son & all of his friends along with me, my husband, my other son, leftovers for lunch for 2 people the next day and I gave the rest to my MIL. I'll definitely make this one again and maybe switch out the cheeses for something else next time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter