Fastpass

Newliskeardfamily

Mouseketeer
I apologize for the fact that I am sure that this info. is somewhere in the threads, but I didn't find it. I am used to DW and their fastpass system and have no idea about how it works at DL. Could someone enlighten me as to how it works? Thanks alot.

As it stands now, you have to go to the rides in question and insert your park ticket into a FP machine to get one. Max Pass, however, is coming soon and will allow you to pull passes from your smartphone... for $10 a day.

DL's FP system works like the old WDW system used to.

- Walk up to FP kiosk near the ride.
- Insert your park ticket
- it spits out a FP ticket with a 1-hour return window printed on it.
- you return to the ride in that 1-hour window and go on the attraction.

At the START of that return window OR 2 hours after you got the FP (whichever time is earlier), you can get a FP for another attraction.

Download the Disneyland app to your smart phone so you can look up the FP return times when you are in another part of the park. This can save you some walking time.

Just recently (about a month ago, I think), both DCA & DL's FP systems are connected together. Also, the Buzz Lightyear attraction is now connected (previously it was not). So if you grab a FP for Radiator Springs Racers, you can't pull a FP right away for an attraction at DL as well.

- Walk up to FP kiosk near the ride.
- Insert your park ticket
I am jumping on this thread, as I am also going to DLR for the first time in a month, and I've only ever known FP+ at WDW (or no FP system at all), and I'm trying to be prepared, like OP.

I bought my tickets online on the official Disney website. They show up in the app as well. I will probably print them at home, because I will have limited data on my phone (Canadian), and don't want to rely only on the app for my tix. I know I don't have to exchange my tickets for some other format, but how does this work with the FP machines? Is there a barcode reader and you just scan the ticket, and not literally put it into the machine?

I am jumping on this thread, as I am also going to DLR for the first time in a month, and I've only ever known FP+ at WDW (or no FP system at all), and I'm trying to be prepared, like OP.

I bought my tickets online on the official Disney website. They show up in the app as well. I will probably print them at home, because I will have limited data on my phone (Canadian), and don't want to rely only on the app for my tix. I know I don't have to exchange my tickets for some other format, but how does this work with the FP machines? Is there a barcode reader and you just scan the ticket, and not literally put it into the machine?
They will exchange your voucher or scan your phone and give you a physical ticket at the turnstile. You put that ticket in the machine.

It is like so-called legacy FP at WDW. Before FP+.

Except for MaxPass mentioned by the PP. That is not out yet so no one really knows how it will work yet.

:wizard:

Note that you can only hold one active FP at a time for a certain attraction. That means that, if you pull a FP with a return time of 12:20 for RSR at 9:30 in the morning, you cannot pull another for RSR when your two-hour window opens at 11:30. You have to wait for the actual return window of 12:20 if you want another (by which time they'll likely be gone). So strategize accordingly.

Note that you can only hold one active FP at a time for a certain attraction. That means that, if you pull a FP with a return time of 12:20 for RSR at 9:30 in the morning, you cannot pull another for RSR when your two-hour window opens at 11:30. You have to wait for the actual return window of 12:20 if you want another (by which time they'll likely be gone). So strategize accordingly.

I thought it was after return time OR after two hour window, whichever came sooner?

I thought it was after return time OR after two hour window, whichever came sooner?
Yes for rides other than the one you pulled for. For the ride you already have a fastpass for you can't get another one for that ride until the time window opens up for that ride.

For a different attraction. You can not hold two FP for the SAME attraction, if the first FP window is not open.

Yep. A few years ago we had FP for RSR say around 2:00 that we pulled around 10AM. When we went to get another set at noon we found out that we could not hold another set of FP for the same attraction. So we had to go get FP for a different ride. Not a big deal unless you are trying to get an evening ride on RSR. It is very difficult to get two sets of FP for RSR unless you pull your first FP very early.

If you have paper tickets (this doesn't work with plastic ones - they're too thick), the best way to get FPs out of the machine is to put one ticket in, get the FP, then put the next ticket in ON TOP OF the first one, without removing the first one. It's both faster and easier, since all of your tickets come out together and you're not juggling them and your FPs. We've put in up to five tickets at a time without any issues.

Evening shows run on a different FP system than the ride FP system. So you can get a FP for WoC or eventually Fantasmic and it won't impact your ability to get one for a ride.

If it is busy, be strategic with your FPs. Before you use your FP make sure you grab one for another ride. The best strategy is to get FP for FPRide 1, then go and ride stuff in the vicinity of FP 2. Once window opens, grab FP for FPRide 2, then head back and ride FPRide1. Continue as needed.

There are also fewer DLR rides with FP than at WDW. Here they are:

Disneyland:

Highly recommended, and will "sell out" by mid-afternoon, if not earlier:
-Space Mountain
-Splash Mountain
-Indiana Jones
-Star Tours (won't sell out until later, but can get really high wait times)

Recommended, but won't sell out until later in the day
-Matterhorn
-Big Thunder
-Roger Rabbit Car Toon Spin (Reminder-Toontown closes early on fireworks nights)

Not usually needed, but usually has soon return times (i.e. get FP, then break for food or relax, then get back in line)
-Buzz Lightyear
-Haunted Mansion

Some other notes:
-Matterhorn is a good one to consider Single Rider. You wait in the same FP line but split off into a different line. Usually it is the same wait time as someone with FP. And no photos on this ride so no reason to not split into different cars
-Splash also has Single Rider, but it can be hit or miss. Later in the evening the SR can almost be a walk-on, but middle of the day can have a long wait.
-Indy has a SR, and again can be hit or miss.

California Adventure

Highly recommended
-Radiator Springs Racers (as mentioned, these run out fast; I also prefer the ride at night)
-GotG

Recommended, but won't sell out until later in the day
-Soarin'
-Toy Story Midway Mania
-Grizzly River Run

Not usually needed, or soon return time
-Screamin'
-Goofy Sky School

DCA notes:
-Single rider is available for RSR and I usually do that. Sometimes the line can be longer, but it is an awesome ride so is worth it.
-Screamin also has SR. The lines can be lengthy if there are lots of teens in the park. I still usually prefer that to Standby or FP.
-Goofy sky school has SR and can be very very short. But that ride is also terrifying, so I don't even like it!
-Grizzly River Run has SR which can be very short because not many people realize it is there. There is also no pic on that ride.
-If you get there at Rope Drop, most people immediately get RSR FPs. That means they can't get FPs for anything else for 2 hours, so things like Soarin and TSMM have very soon return times. You can often get both of those done in the 2-hours. You can keep track of return times for RSR so you may be able to grab one for evening as your 3rd pass (e.g., grab FP for soarin, head to pier and ride some rides, then grab TSMM FP once your window opens, head back to Soarin, depending on the time, maybe do Mater or Monsters, then grab FP for RSR once your window opens, then head back to do TSMM).

If you have paper tickets (this doesn't work with plastic ones - they're too thick), the best way to get FPs out of the machine is to put one ticket in, get the FP, then put the next ticket in ON TOP OF the first one, without removing the first one. It's both faster and easier, since all of your tickets come out together and you're not juggling them and your FPs. We've put in up to five tickets at a time without any issues.

Yes. I've also noticed that when CM pull FP for you this is what they do to speed things up.

Yes. I've also noticed that when CM pull FP for you this is what they do to speed things up.
Yes. APs are a bummer from this perspective. Put one in. Get FP. Take out card. Put next card in. Try to remember which card you used to get the first FP. Juggle FP slips and AP cards. Pain in the tuckus!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter