• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fastpass return or replacement?

Great Point, but it depends on the dynamics of the system. Obviously the old system would be a non-issue. A hybrid system that provides a healthy portion if not all guests at least 1 free Fastpass would be a lot easier to defend than a system that is 100% paid.

Agree with this.

The most logical system I could come up with:

All guests get 1 FP. I wouldn't want to alienate a portion of my guests by not making sure they had access to at least 1.
On site value and moderate get 2 FP. Reward those staying in the bubble.
On site deluxe get 3 FP.

Opportunity to earn more via a rewards system in the App. Opportunity to purchase more via the app as well.

This meets what I imagine is the goal to promote more spending, and to reward that spending with Disney. Doing it this way allows them not to penalize off site guests who may still be spending significantly. The same goes for AP holders (such as myself).

The opportunity to purchase FP makes sure that, at a minimum, the opportunity is there, even if you aren't spending big or staying at a Disney resort.

So to sum up: Everyone gets one. Rewards for those staying in the bubble. Rewards for spending more of your money. Ability to purchase them outright if none of the other options appeal to you.

This is the best I could come up with. I didn't go into specifics on rewards or FP pricing, as I think that would have to be a much bigger discussion, that included numbers that I definitely don't have access to.

Opportunity to earn more via a rewards system in the App.

Could you elaborate your thoughts regarding what you might mean by earning rewards? Are you talking about purchases of merch or something else?

I had seen it floated around about high scores in buzz and webslingers earning FP's and also scavenger hunt/queue games rewarding FP's as incentive to give people something to do between rides. Which I think would be interesting depending on the implementation.

Could you elaborate your thoughts regarding what you might mean by earning rewards? Are you talking about purchases of merch or something else?

I had seen it floated around about high scores in buzz and webslingers earning FP's and also scavenger hunt/queue games rewarding FP's as incentive to give people something to do between rides. Which I think would be interesting depending on the implementation.

buy scratch-n-win-FP tickets???
Disney really needs to give us information about the new FP+ system soon before we all go too creative on this subject.

That's a very interesting idea!

Agree with this.

The most logical system I could come up with:

All guests get 1 FP. I wouldn't want to alienate a portion of my guests by not making sure they had access to at least 1.
On site value and moderate get 2 FP. Reward those staying in the bubble.
On site deluxe get 3 FP.

Opportunity to earn more via a rewards system in the App. Opportunity to purchase more via the app as well.

This meets what I imagine is the goal to promote more spending, and to reward that spending with Disney. Doing it this way allows them not to penalize off site guests who may still be spending significantly. The same goes for AP holders (such as myself).

The opportunity to purchase FP makes sure that, at a minimum, the opportunity is there, even if you aren't spending big or staying at a Disney resort.

So to sum up: Everyone gets one. Rewards for those staying in the bubble. Rewards for spending more of your money. Ability to purchase them outright if none of the other options appeal to you.

This is the best I could come up with. I didn't go into specifics on rewards or FP pricing, as I think that would have to be a much bigger discussion, that included numbers that I definitely don't have access to.

I would be ecstatic if this was the new system. At this point though I wish they would just announce...anything.

I think if they were smart, they could leverage those FP rewards in a vast number of ways.

Certainly in my post, I was more speaking from the point of view of the bean counters at Disney. Merch, dining, paid upgrades of any kind (Halloween party as an example). I'd want to reward spending. And as an important piece of that, I want to see where the different types of guests are spending, and this incentivizes them to do their spending via my fancy app so I can keep tabs.

But certainly they could expand that to include other non-paid forms as well. Little bonuses for ride scores, doing other non-ride tasks would be even better rewards (in my head), as them doing that, is time they aren't taking up space in a standby line, which allows me to lighten the waits just a tad bit.

They have an opportunity to: reward customers spending money, keep customers engaged in numerous ways and make customers feel like they won, even though we're actually technically just making them work hard for something they already had.

I'm not a fan of the idea that FP just turns into a pay to play. I'd understand the thought process, but I think it would miss out on a huge opportunity to turn the disappointment of losing something, into a huge win in many different ways.

With lack of news when it would have made the most sense - I am now resigned to think that the communication of whatever the new FP will be - we will be told about it at the D23 in November. I don't like it and considering we will be there during D23 - hoped we would have something in place before then - I'm losing hope.

Certainly in my post, I was more speaking from the point of view of the bean counters at Disney. Merch, dining, paid upgrades of any kind (Halloween party as an example). I'd want to reward spending. And as an important piece of that, I want to see where the different types of guests are spending, and this incentivizes them to do their spending via my fancy app so I can keep tabs.

Agreed. I posted similar a few months back on available reservations, and FP makes sense as well. :thumbsup2

I wouldn't be against them "tracking" our purchases, and maybe some form of loyalty program that allows you in for more days with the more money we spend. If they count Disney Resort and/or D Springs dining/drinks even better.

Like a bare bones example down to a given day. We recently purchased 3 $100 gift cards at EPCOT, so we could easily swipe at the booths. Those lasted 2 days. We scored a last minute ressie at BOGuest which was about $300 as well. The list goes on.

No idea what the formula would/could be, but certainly over a year the amount we spend would be embarrassing actually-in Disney's favor.

With lack of news when it would have made the most sense - I am now resigned to think that the communication of whatever the new FP will be - we will be told about it at the D23 in November. I don't like it and considering we will be there during D23 - hoped we would have something in place before then - I'm losing hope.

Only way that would work if it's announced in limited details alongside a Genie announcement. No way they are announcing a paid FP system similar to DLP in person that would generate boos.

Only way that would work if it's announced in limited details alongside a Genie announcement. No way they are announcing a paid FP system similar to DLP in person that would generate boos.

I really though there would have been at least some sort of limited info on the future of FP by now. I'm now leaning towards the theory that this will all come as part of a Genie presentation at D23

I really though there would have been at least some sort of limited info on the future of FP by now. I'm now leaning towards the theory that this will all come as part of a Genie presentation at D23

I am still holding out hope. Tomorrow was the day I had kind of circled as a most likely possible. It is a great Friday news item, and it is kind of a failsafe point where you wonder how much longer can they go and have something in place for 50th. I just don't think they want to go October, November, and Christmas of their 50th anniversary with no system. If it is not coming until 2022, they might as well let Fastpass+ come back for the rest of the year and cut over during the January dead period. The fact that they haven't decided to move forward with Fastpass+ makes me believe they think they are pretty close.

🤞

I am still holding out hope. Tomorrow was the day I had kind of circled as a most likely possible. It is a great Friday news item, and it is kind of a failsafe point where you wonder how much longer can they go and have something in place for 50th. I just don't think they want to go October, November, and Christmas of their 50th anniversary with no system. If it is not coming until 2022, they might as well let Fastpass+ come back for the rest of the year and cut over during the January dead period. The fact that they haven't decided to move forward with Fastpass+ makes me believe they think they are pretty close.

🤞
I'd like to see them come back with the original FP+ just to get through the 50th celebration and then they can switch over to whatever paid system they want. Of course, that's me just being a little selfish and dreaming because we have our final Walt Disney World trip coming up next year and it will fall during the 50th celebration.

The trick is can they get the toothpaste back in the tube. I doubt Disney will try to reduce guests with reserved Park Passes and try to convince them to cancel.

How would they try to convince people to cancel? I’ve been wondering what they could do as far as limiting capacity again, and my thought was also they’d try to get people to cancel. I just don’t know what that would take, lol.

How would they try to convince people to cancel? I’ve been wondering what they could do as far as limiting capacity again, and my thought was also they’d try to get people to cancel. I just don’t know what that would take, lol.
The only thing I can think of is if they did what universal did before by capping the number let in outside of resort guests. This would involve cancelling the park reservation system though, and I doubt they would do that. I don't think they realized that problem with the park reservations for if they ever needed to reduce capacity again.

I’ve been wondering what they could do as far as limiting capacity again, and my thought was also they’d try to get people to cancel.
They could announce that due to social distancing all existing park reservations are cancelled and that the reservation system will reopen but with less capacity. This forces everyone to rebook park reservations. People who don’t get them will likely cancel.

They could announce that due to social distancing all existing park reservations are cancelled and that the reservation system will reopen but with less capacity. This forces everyone to rebook park reservations. People who don’t get them will likely cancel.

The problem with that is anyone who made a non-refundable reservation to Orlando may complain. This becomes double if you have a non-refundable /refund with penalty Disney hotel/resort reservation. They made these reservations with a Park Pass system thats express purpose was to limit park capacity. Several may have non-refundable plane flights. The worst part about it is Disney needs capacity adjustments near term, which is the absolutely hardest group to change their plans.

Before it was easy when you had a national shelter in place type order, but that would not be the case. Airlines are going to function, hotels are going to function, Universal will function, and even Disney will function. Trying to cancel someone's vacation last minute without significant and meaningful blowback (possible even lawsuits), may require compensation or incentives to get people reservations to voluntarily cancel (i.e. we will give you 2 days park credit for every one day you return with Park Pass) That way the guests with flexible vacation may jump on the chance to double their vacation stay in the future, while those who are most inflexible may elect to stay. It would be a very costly proposition for Disney.

I doubt Disney wants to pay that price unless their hand is absolutely forced. That would be an absolutely humiliating situation for management to say to stockholders, "we lost a crap load of money because we misjudged and expanded capacity too fast."

Last edited:
The problem with that is anyone who made a non-refundable reservation to Orlando may complain. This becomes double if you have a non-refundable /refund with penalty Disney hotel/resort reservation.
Yeah we’d complain because of losing DVC points if we cancel but not confident it would matter. I’m hoping I’m wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter