• Controversial Topics on DISboards.com. Several months ago I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in opt-out. Click Here

Family walks before DW to get family used to DW distances?

I agree with the Pokemon Go as a motivator. My kids will be 11, 8, 7 and 7 when we go and I'm thinking even the littlest are going to be too big for a stroller or wagon. So yes, we are raiding in the name of Instinct. I live in the Great White North so I'm thinking in the months leading up to our November trip, I'll be taking them to walk at the track at our local gym.

We are a walking family anyway. We don't drive, and we do like to go places. I did 32,000 steps on my fitbit yesterday. My kids (10 and 3) did about 6 miles of that with me, and ran about in school all day. We are lucky though, we have walking to the beach as motivation.

The 10 yr old will be fine, but I am trying to build up the stamina of the 4yr old. That said, by the time you factor in rides and ADRs, it is not as much walking all in one go as I first thought. There is a lot of resting time in a WDW day. Also walking to get to x, or to see y, is very motivating for everyone.

That's great to do some walking before you go definitely will help. I walk or jog every lunch time in the week as I too have a sit down at a desk all day job. however its not so much the walking but the standing and in the heat. 3months to go I'm gonna stand when I can at my desk. Good luck :flower1:

We are going in August so I have been doing this with my kids to get them used to the heat and the walking. I did it last time we went but my older daughter refused to come she said riding her bike was enough (well it wasn't). So she suffered the whole time and didn't have much fun where my younger daughter was fine. So now this time I have them both walking! We walk at night when it's cooler so I don't torture them too much. When they start getting bored of the neighborhood walks I'm going to take them to walk on the beach/boardwalk (we are only like 20 minutes away) or a park trail.

I also have flat feet so I bought more expensive sneakers with arch support. I researched and settled on Brooks. The breathable mesh and the support were much better for me than the inexpensive New Balance all leather ones I had worn in the past. Then I have vionic flip flops to maybe wear at night just to give my feet a break. They also have arch support. My daughter has a problem with her feet and she has inserts for her sneakers from the podiatrist.

We are going in August so I have been doing this with my kids to get them used to the heat and the walking. I did it last time we went but my older daughter refused to come she said riding her bike was enough (well it wasn't). So she suffered the whole time and didn't have much fun where my younger daughter was fine. So now this time I have them both walking! We walk at night when it's cooler so I don't torture them too much. When they start getting bored of the neighborhood walks I'm going to take them to walk on the beach/boardwalk (we are only like 20 minutes away) or a park trail.

I also have flat feet so I bought more expensive sneakers with arch support. I researched and settled on Brooks. The breathable mesh and the support were much better for me than the inexpensive New Balance all leather ones I had worn in the past. Then I have vionic flip flops to maybe wear at night just to give my feet a break. They also have arch support. My daughter has a problem with her feet and she has inserts for her sneakers from the podiatrist.

I will look into Brooks! I need arch support and the New Balance were good for me but I am always looking to find a better fit.

Anything you do to help can be great. I would try to do more like 2-3 days a week to see a difference. We walked 8-10 miles a day for 6 days last month. I would absolutely get everyone the best shoes you can afford. We all have the merrel sports shoes and they are wonderful. 100 a pop but so worth it. This will get debated but if your 8 year old can't do the days in the park, rent a double stroller. We often see older kids in them. Take afternoon breaks and don't go on when no on is having fun anymore.

Got my recumbent bike set up yesterday. I didn't think it would be much of a workout but I was wrong! I will try to increase my time each day. It has been so hot and humid here in Middle Tennessee that there is no way I am walking outside. I sat and watched HGTV while riding indoors today!!

Yes! Do it! I put my kids in training for our first trip to Disney, walked 5 days a week increasing from walking around the block to about 3 miles. Must have worked because the only complaint I heard about the amount of walking was from DH. :rotfl:

I have flat feet and inserts help. My super expensive $450 custom orthotics have helped even more than I dreamed. The more I walk on it, the better my feet feel!

Anything you do to help can be great. I would try to do more like 2-3 days a week to see a difference. We walked 8-10 miles a day for 6 days last month. I would absolutely get everyone the best shoes you can afford. We all have the merrel sports shoes and they are wonderful. 100 a pop but so worth it. This will get debated but if your 8 year old can't do the days in the park, rent a double stroller. We often see older kids in them. Take afternoon breaks and don't go on when no on is having fun anymore.

I agree. Any training you do the better off you will be. But keep in mind that everyone will likely be tired at the end of the day no matter what so only push yourselves so far. Moleskin is a good recommendation for blisters. Enjoy your trip.

As a person who suffers from flat feet (like, extremely flat feet... couldn't get worse), I can tell you that park touring can be a real challenge. Some tips, other than just walking more:
  • Bring a tennis ball along. When you are back at the hotel, roll it under your feet for a "massage."
  • My DH and I give each other foot massages each night. We brought along Gold Bond foot cream for extra relief (the peppermint in it has a cooling effect).
  • When we did crazy park touring (like go go go every minute), both of us got shin splints. At the hotel, we would get ice and put it in plastic baggies to give our shins some relief.
  • Plan your park touring strategically. Don't go from one end of the park all the way to the opposite side and back over and over. It might not feel like a big deal in the moment to go from Haunted Mansion to Space Mountain and back to BTMR, but trust me... if you do that constantly, you'll regret it. Also: when at MK, take advantage of the train whenever possible. Same goes for Epcot and the boats that take you from Future World to World Showcase (some people might say it takes longer to wait for a boat than to walk to your destination. While that might be true, you're off your feet).
  • Body Glide kept me from getting blisters. It looks like deodorant and can be found at Dick's Sporting Goods. Basically, rub it anywhere you might get blisters or rashes from friction, and you'll be good! :thumbsup2
  • Table service meals are nice excuses to take breaks and get off your feet.
  • If you're going when it's really hot, make yourself go outside and do things when it's hot at home. Normally I would not choose to lay on my lounger and read when it's 87-90 degrees out, but it's good training for FL summers... :sunny:
  • If possible: don't do a park every day. On our last trip, we went every other day to a park, and I didn't have issues at all. After my many issues in previous years, I was delighted. :cloud9:

I hope this is helpful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter