Family walks before DW to get family used to DW distances?

Ducky'sMom

Mom to a smol bean and a spicy potato <3
Here's the rundown: I'm used to standing/walking 8-12 hour days, and I love to walk. My husband has the typical sit for 8+hrs job and has flat feet. Our 8yo wouldn't mind the walking, but she has a condition that means her endurance is shorter than kids her age. So I've wondered if taking (at least) weekly family walks in the months before WDW would help all of us in building endurance for walking/standing. Does this seem silly? I figured we could take our dog and start small in our local parks, and then move on to the family trails in our area. Perhaps I only think it sounds silly because the motivating reason is DW, not just "let's be healthy".

I'm curious as to what others have done to prep to 'go the distance'! ( I couldn't help the Hercules line.:upsidedow) Also, any advice for my flat footed hubby? I'm thinking gel inserts in his most comfortable sneakers would be okay.

I wouldn't just do this for Disney. It would be good for you over all. You can use it as a bonding things and also encourage your husband and daughter to get moving on a regular basis (not saying they don't now). As you said the only silly part about it is thinking of it as DW training.

I need to start walking for fitness and so I am able to tolerate all the walking in WDW. I have a bad knee and it is like a vicious circle. I don't walk because my knee gets sore but I should be walking to lose a few pounds to take the pressure off of my knee a bit.

I've been increasing my walking distances for Disney - going with a group of young ones, and I need to be able to keep up or they'll leave me in the dust ;) Plus, it's good for overall quality of life :)

Do it! I was averaging 13,000 more steps a day than my usual count. We did family walks with the kids more to practice listening, staying with the group and holding hands than build endurance. Then again, the kids are 5 and 2.5. Bring supplies for blisters and your chosen pain meds. My MIL didn't and missed a whole day of plans because she couldn't walk.

I'll add that the more you walk, the faster your husband will figure out which shoes to wear! I have sneakers with orthotic inserts I wear, but I also wear my Keen sandals at times to give myself breaks.

I do "training" myself leading up to our trips, though I walk a bit during my workday and walk the dog when I get home. Conditioning yourself for the amount of walking you will do is not a bad idea. As others have said, moving more is always a good idea. However, the amount of walking you do at Disney- especially going from being pretty sedentary to that- can be a shock if you are not prepared.

If you have a "New Balance Shoe Store" in your area, you can go there and get your husband some sneakers. They will put him on one of those machines that reads the bottom of his feet. They will then give you the proper inserts to go with his foot type. I went and got my feet scanned and purchased the inserts for my shoes before going to Disney last year. It really improved my comfort while walking in the parks all day.

Last edited:
We started walking training by playing Pokémon Go. My little guy who desperately needed a stroller the last trip walked just fine after all our Pokémon hunting.

I second Pokemon go as a motivator. In addition to hunting, you hatch pokemon from eggs by walking. There's 2,5,and 10km eggs. it's pretty addicting and keeps us moving to see what we'll hatch next.

It will help...if you start months out. Doing it a week or two before won't do anything. In fact, it'll probably just make you tired before you go. The other thing to remember is that WDW is not like going for a walk. When you go for a walk, it's 30 minutes or an hour of non-stop walking. WDW is 5 or 6 hours, or however long you stay in the parks, of walk...stop....walk....sit....walk...sit. Getting in fit in general will help more than just taking walks.

We did this the first time. Still thought I was going to die after day 2. Didn't bother for our second trip, just bought epsom salts for bath from garden grocer.

We go for a family walk every night in our neighborhood. We have a mile loop. Now that my oldest is 6, we have him walk while my 3 yo walks and rides in the wagon. I still bring a double stroller though. That way my oldest can pop in and out. Any kind of walking a good prep for the trip and we LOVE Pokémon go!

For sure! My six year old and I did a 2.5 mile walk the other day (with a break to play at the park) and he did well. Good start!

On out last trip the kids were 5 years old and I really didnt want to do the stroller thing. So we "disney trained". We'd all go to our high school track and walk at least 3 times a week for the 3 months leading up to the trip. Each time we would try to do another lap or jog a little to build our endurance. Before the trip I did the ultimate test of going to one of our local parks the bluffs at groton longpoint. It has a wide somewhat flat with some hills trail. It takes about 2 hours to finish. The kids did fantastic in August heat and added to the hike by climbing over some boulders and playing on the beach part.
When we got to Disney, it wasnt an issue. No complaints on distance or feet. We also bought the kids two pairs of sneakers and broke them in on these disney training walks.

we are doing this as well! Getting our 6 year old used to longer walks since hes too heavy for me to lug around at the end of a long day in the parks! Also helping me discover which shoes or sandals are the most comfortable to walk around in.

I need to start walking for fitness and so I am able to tolerate all the walking in WDW. I have a bad knee and it is like a vicious circle. I don't walk because my knee gets sore but I should be walking to lose a few pounds to take the pressure off of my knee a bit.

It sounds like pool exercise (like walking in the pool) would help you in the beginning

I was telling a co worker who is going in October with her husband about all the walking. I didn't think she really believed what I was saying. Tonight she comes back after dinner break and tells me she walked for the 30 minutes and she is in trouble when she goes to Disney. I have to get moving more for sure and just ordered a recumbent bike after hearing her worrying about her trip tonight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter