Family of 6 (DVC Owners) looking for getaway with only 52 points left! Any Advice?

TNKBELL

DIS Veteran
Hi I am new to the boards but am excited to be here!! We just returned from OKW and loved it ! We would like to return but only have 52 points to use. The room would be for myself my husband and our children ages are 8,6,3 and infant. What would the experts suggest we do? Where to stay etc?Wishing and Dreaming till next time!

Even if you take a 1 bedroom, 52 points doesn't get you much. Do you have any left to borrow? If not, could you rent a few more points? What time of year do you want to go in? We have 4 kids, but our youngest is 6. We don't like to take the kids out of school. We started out with 160 points and are now adding on another 250. We originally though we would go every second or third year, but now we have the bug to go more often. Good luck, let us know how you work it out.

Thats a tough one. 1 bedrooms at OKW are 16 pts per week- night. You can squeeze in a three night get-away. Maybe you can try to rent ~30 pts and extend it to 5 nights or upgrade to a three day stay in a two bedroom.

I hope something works out.

Thank you for the great suggestions! Can a family of 6 stay in a one bedroom? What about a BWV studio with a daybed? We are are on a very fixed income and trying to stretch our budget to allow another trip, so we can not rent any more points or add to our current DVC ownership, although that would be ideal!! :earsgirl: :earsboy: princess: ::MickeyMo ::MickeyMo ::MickeyMo

Use your points for a 2-bedroom and pay cash for the remainder. Or wait until your next use year when you get your next allotment of points.

you could do one night in one of the old key west grand villlas and just enjoy the chance to spread out.

How about renting the points at $10/point and using the money to go to a value resort on a $55/night code rate?

I would hold onto them and extend a later trip or a night from the CC for you and DH... no kids...

You could do two nights in a FW cabin during value season. They sleep 6...and there are pretty good code rates on mousesavers if you want to add-on your nights there (maybe two weekday nights with DVC points, and two weekend nights with cash).

I LOVE the cabins!!!!

:wave:

Beca

Originally posted by robinb
The official limit on a 1 BR is 4 people plus a child under 3.

But if DW and I (just 2 people) are staying in 1Br units for a total of 18 days .... that would mean that we're leaving a surplus of 3 people each day. It should go to figure that, if they were to use our surplus, that extra child should be able to stay with them for a total of 54 days ( 3 times 18 equals 54 ) if they had sufficient points. Just can't argue with logic!

It should go to figure that, if they were to use our surplus, that extra child should be able to stay with them for a total of 54 days ( 3 times 18 equals 54 ) if they had sufficient points. Just can't argue with logic!

:scratchin :rotfl: logic? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Originally posted by TNKBELL
Hi I am new to the boards but am excited to be here!! We just returned from OKW and loved it ! We would like to return but only have 52 points to use. The room would be for myself my husband and our children ages are 8,6,3 and infant. What would the experts suggest we do? Where to stay etc?Wishing and Dreaming till next time!
Are you past your banking deadlines? If not, my advice is to bank the 52 points and take a longer trip next year. It must cost quite a bit to transport your family from Kansas to WDW. Doesn't seem like a short trip (5 days or less) is worth it, if you have to spend a lot of time or $$ just getting there.

Best wishes -

BUY MORE POINTS!! :cheer2:

Actually just kidding, but someone had to say it. I really suggest bank and use them next year, but whatever you decide.. good luck!! :earboy2:

I agree, bank them and have an extra few days next year.

Bank them if you can. If not, maybe you could borrow and/or pay for some days with cash for a 2 BR.

Check out the rent trade board and see if you can buy a few more points from another member and have them transferred over to your account to try and get five nights in a two bedroom at OKW. Low season it only takes 22 points a night.

Or bank them and use them next year.

P.S. I just had another member transfer us 55 more BWV points to complete a reservation for next year. It's a nice option if you're short some points.

Have fun!

TNKBELL, I am in a similar situation. My kids are 9,7,4 and the baby is 1 1/2. Last time we went to WDW was in a 2 bedroom with my inlaws. We tried and tried, but I just don't think the 6 of us will fit into a 1 bedroom. We bought in less than a year ago with 175 points, but already we realize it isn't going to be enough.

I'm hoping Santa will come through with my add-on request, but I don't think he will! :charac2:

Good luck!

MDonley said:
But if DW and I (just 2 people) are staying in 1Br units for a total of 18 days .... that would mean that we're leaving a surplus of 3 people each day. It should go to figure that, if they were to use our surplus, that extra child should be able to stay with them for a total of 54 days ( 3 times 18 equals 54 ) if they had sufficient points. Just can't argue with logic!

The above quote sounds like a good idea!

Along that theme I'm wondering if people can rent out their surplus people per day (SPPD) to people who have (DPPD) deficeit people per day.

When my wife and I go, and use a studio we are entitled to 4 people per day (+1 child under 3 or 1 extra adult - depending on whom you talk to), so we have an SPPD of 2.5 to 3.0 per day in adventure season, and 2.5-2.75 in magic season, 2.5 in premier season... etc

So should we have a DVC SPPD board, or just use Ebay to list our SPPDs?

TIA

-Tony

greenban said:
The above quote sounds like a good idea!

Along that theme I'm wondering if people can rent out their surplus people per day (SPPD) to people who have (DPPD) deficeit people per day.

When my wife and I go, and use a studio we are entitled to 4 people per day (+1 child under 3 or 1 extra adult - depending on whom you talk to), so we have an SPPD of 2.5 to 3.0 per day in adventure season, and 2.5-2.75 in magic season, 2.5 in premier season... etc

So should we have a DVC SPPD board, or just use Ebay to list our SPPDs?

TIA

-Tony

Bahahahahahahaha! :smooth:

facebook twitter