Failed Docking at CC

braycon

Earning My Ears
Disney Cruise Line Blog on IG noted today that: "After three attempts to approach the pier, Captain Marco called off docking at Castaway Cay today."

Obviously, safety is paramount and I am certain not docking here was the prudent action. It's in Disney's best interest to have guests enjoy their experience at CC, so I am not in any way, shape, or form questioning the captain's decision.

My question, rather, is how many of you have had this experience where CC has not been a possibility due to weather (or other reason) during your cruise? How did you truly feel about it?

We have not had this experience in more than a half dozen Caribbean cruises, but I do think it would be very disappointing, particularly if this was your first time on DCL and you were really looking forward to CC (and you should be, btw - it's fantastic). I would think this would be true even if you were well aware it was the right decision. If you've been previously, then maybe it's not so disappointing, but if it's your first time there...well, it's typically a very anticipated portion of any Bahamian/Caribbean itinerary that has it scheduled.

Did it dampen your entire feeling about the trip? Was it inconsequential to you? Somewhere in the middle? How did DCL try to "make up" for the unexpected missed stop? How did you/your family adjust?

Have any of you ever cruised on DCL where CC was a part of the itinerary, but they knew before they left Port Canaveral that it would't happen, or is this always a day of decision? Have you ever felt like it might be the wrong decision?

Have any of you ever cruised on DCL where CC was a part of the itinerary, but they knew before they left Port Canaveral that it would't happen, or is this always a day of decision? Have you ever felt like it might be the wrong decision?

Typically the decision is made the day the ship is due to call, as conditions can change from day to day.

I do remember reading a post once about "the water was perfectly smooth, I don't understand why the Captain wouldn't dock". I guess they thought they knew better than the captain.

Here's an interesting thread regarding how often CC gets missed (it's not a lot)
https://www.disboards.com/threads/how-often-does-the-ship-miss-castaway-cay.462357/

Last edited:
I saw this and we are going to CC next month for the first time which is on my wish list. I assumed this time of year all was AOK do fingers crossed else I will be very disappointed (I realise safety comes first as on our panama last year)

It happened to us on our 3-night Dream in January 2017, one and only time in 7 DCL cruises (so far). We woke up to bad weather and noticed that we hadn't yet docked at CC like we normally would at that time of the morning and the Captain then made the announcement. We just made the best of the day: trivia, bingo, movies, etc. It's disappointing but its a part of cruising that sometimes happens. Same thing occurred on our Princess Scandinavia cruise the prior summer. We were supposed to tender at Helsingborg, Sweden and the weather and seas were just too rough so we missed that port.

It comes down to timing too. They can't hit CC on another day because they are back in PC tomorrow. Recently, the Dream switched the at Sea day with the CC day because of weather. They made to the island, but a day later. It was announced the night before, I believe. I also read (don't remember where) that only 1.8% of sailings that are supposed to stop at CC can't make it. So the odds are really in favor of stopping.

People should embark on every cruise knowing that there is always a possibility that the ship won’t be able to make port somewhere. And it won’t necessarily be the cruise line’s fault, either.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t be disappointed, but it is what it is. The odds are heavily in your favor that you will dock at every port on your itinerary, but if you hit some bad luck, just roll with the punches.

If you feel like there was a better way to handle the situation on the cruise line’s part, by all means, talk to a member of GS. Just don’t act like an effing lunatic.

Last edited:
We were just on the 4 night Dream from April 8-12. The night before our scheduled CC stop, they announced the weather was going to be rainy and not ideal for a beach day, so it was moved to the following day which turned out to be absolutely beautiful. I thought it was such a great way to make the passengers happy, and luckily we had flexibility in our schedule which this current cruise does not. I would be bummed if I were on the ship now, not gonna lie. CC is a huge reason we take the short Bahamas cruises.

Certainly, it's naive to think it can't happen. I hadn't heard the 1.8% figure. How interesting. (Sounds like the type of thing that would typically happen to us :sad2:, so I'm surprised it hasn't.) At this point, we would roll with it, but we've been there so it would make it a lot easier to take.

My wife and I were on our first Disney cruise in April/May of 2001. We never docked at Cast Away Cay. The weather was not bad but it was very very windy though. The Captain tried 3 or 4 times but could not dock. They moved the BBQ to the deck and had some free adult drinks for a few hours if my memory is correct. Me not being a beach person it did not bother me. I heard there were some that were upset but the Captain had to make the best decision based on the safety of the guest and crew.

Disney Cruise Line Blog on IG noted today that: "After three attempts to approach the pier, Captain Marco called off docking at Castaway Cay today."

Obviously, safety is paramount and I am certain not docking here was the prudent action. It's in Disney's best interest to have guests enjoy their experience at CC, so I am not in any way, shape, or form questioning the captain's decision.

My question, rather, is how many of you have had this experience where CC has not been a possibility due to weather (or other reason) during your cruise? How did you truly feel about it?

We have not had this experience in more than a half dozen Caribbean cruises, but I do think it would be very disappointing, particularly if this was your first time on DCL and you were really looking forward to CC (and you should be, btw - it's fantastic). I would think this would be true even if you were well aware it was the right decision. If you've been previously, then maybe it's not so disappointing, but if it's your first time there...well, it's typically a very anticipated portion of any Bahamian/Caribbean itinerary that has it scheduled.

Did it dampen your entire feeling about the trip? Was it inconsequential to you? Somewhere in the middle? How did DCL try to "make up" for the unexpected missed stop? How did you/your family adjust?

This hasn’t happened to me, but I think the only time I would be really upset is if I paid for a double dip CC cruise. Those cruises are way more expensive then the average trip that stops once. I would be on the phone asking for a portion of my money back.

Haven't missed CC on any cruises. However on our March 2018 cruise we were suppose to go to St. Maarten. When we checked in at PC we were given a letter that said there was a really bad storm with 50 ft waves we would have to go through to reach St. Maarten, so that port was cancelled . Instead we got to go to CC on our first and last day of the cruise. I wasn't upset at all about the change, in fact I was really happy about it. I've been to St Maarten before though. Several other people I talked to were happy also. We were on the Wonder, had smaller crowds and great weather both days. I loved going to CC early on in the cruise. We were lucky that there wasn't another ship already scheduled for CC.

We had to skip CC because of Hurricane Sandy. Tried to out run the storm back to PC but didn't make it. What a ride we had from dinner and all through the night. Not the best idea to out run a hurricane that was growing in strength and size. Those paying for their cruise received a 25% voucher for a future cruise. DVC members were screwed.

In 15 cruises since 2000, it has happened to me four times. Once we knew before we sailed as CC had been hit by a hurricane right before our cruise. We went to Costa Maya instead. Two other times the winds and currents were too strong for the captain to get the ship docked, despite several attempts. The last time it happened the Fantasy had mechanical issues and they weren't sure they could safely dock and more importantly return to PC in time on debarkation day.

Having been to the island all of the other times, we weren't as disappointed as those who had never been there an may never be back. I totally understand that, but we did see some ugly behaviors. I know that there is a chance of missing any port of call or even having the whole itinerary changed, it's part of being on the open seas.

Each time I thought Disney did a great job trying to accommodate, with extra activities, shows and in some cases extra alcohol and in one case a discount on a future cruise.

I don't think folks should stress over this before sailing, but should always be prepared to adjust their expectations based on the realities that may present themselves.

This topic usually spans a lengthy discussion on how people think the cruise line and the captain should do things, how people should be accommodated, aka compensated etc. So grab the pop corn and stay tuned.

If it happened to me I would be sad but enjoy the ship as an alternative. As a platinum cruiser I have seen DCL work wonders at the last minute. I would never expect any compensation for missing it even if it was a double dip. Stuff happens and when cruising we have to roll with the punches. Mother Nature can cause turmoil at the last minute.

I would never expect any compensation for missing it even if it was a double dip.
I, also, wouldn't expect any sort of compensation. But there are plenty of people who don't actually read the cruise contract (where it says that DCL reserves the right to change or cancel any port stops at their discretion) and expect monetary compensation if their cruise doesn't go off as planned.

A double dip, ughhhh, that would be hard because of the price inflation for that extra dip. But ya, it can happen and there is nothing that can be done when it does. I think it most often happens during colder weather, right? Maybe like December through March? I would be heart broken, but would also know that safety does come first. If you do a 4-night vs. a 3-night, you have an extra day to try to dock on the
4-night, correct?

Yep, we missed docking at castaway cay. It was my celebration of retiring from my job of 30+ years. We had cruised twice before. We had all first time cruisers of my adult kids and their spouses and my grandkids with us. It was a disappointment and since it was early in my cruising life, I never thought it was possible. It was on the Wonder during early November 2010. There was hardly anything to do. The movie theater filled to capacity, so we couldn’t do that. Had some towel folding classes, but skipped that. My one daughter and kids finally cruised again and made it to castaway a few years later. My other daughter and her family never sailed Disney again. She felt it was too expensive and she got cheated. She sails the other companies regularly. I did write to dcl and to expressed my sadness and disappointment, esp since it was a once in a lifetime celebration. I did get a response with a standard response. I understand more now, but it was a huge disappointment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!