Extra time for boarding, etc.

Shells9

My Tag Fairy Tags are gone!
Good morning! Let me apologize in advance for the L-O-N-G read. What can I say, I like to talk

I had open knee surgery on March 20 & again on April 3. I am currently wearing a Bledsoe Brace, and should have a 45 degree bend when we leave on Friday. The Bledsoe Brace goes from thigh to ankle and only allows you bend so far. It will also be my first "official" day without my crutches -- I hope. I go to the doctor at 11:30 and leave town at 1 pm, lol!

It is my right leg, which is my "lead" leg for stepping, climbing, ect. With my bend limitations, do you think will CMs be somewhat patient with me if I get a little hung up? To give you an idea, a 30 degree bend (what I have now), allows you to drive a car, and sit in a chair, but that's about it. I'm just worried because my muscles are obviously weak from lack of use, and although I feel pretty confident, sometimes getting out of the car has been a challenge, lol!

I know this seems minor to some people, but for me it has been a major change, and while I am making strides, I am still not at even 50% really, but want to enjoy my trip. I got a preferred room at the All Stars for distance purposes. I do not think I will need a wheelchair, unless I tire by the end of the day, and don't want to try an EVC because I've never done that before, and learning in a crowd is probably not the best place.

Oh, and if anyone is still reading (thank you if you are!), do you know many stairs there are at CRT? I'd like to try the stairs instead of the elevator, so I can get some pics.

Thanks again! :D :D

Several answers and suggestions.

Cinderalla's Royal Table is effectively on the 3rd floor of the castle; there are lots of steps.

Now is NOT the time to be the macho "Iron Man".

I would strongly suggest going to a large grocery store and trying out an ECV there. Note the rentals, especially from off-site, are much easier to drive than the ones in the stores.

You might want to consider taking your crutches with you, but personally I would suggest renting an ECV. You can go to Guest Services at your first park and get a Guest Assistance Card (GAC) which will be valid at all the Disney parks for your trip; it will explain what sort of assistance you need.

If you feel there will be a problem in boarding any attraction, talk to the first CM at the attraction so they are aware of your needs. They should relay the information to the CMs in the loading/unloading area

I think that you really need to think about using a wheelchair or ecv. Since you have one leg in a permanently bent position, you will not be walking normally and you will put additional stress on all the other parts of your bosy that need to compensate for that.
The distances at WDW are immense - just the distance around WS in Epcot is a little more than a mile. I have seen estimates that the average person walks between 3 and 8 miles a day at WDW. That is much too far for someone who is less than a month post knee surgery.
An ecv is not that hard to drive and you could practice at your resort before venturing out in the parks if you rent one form an off-site company. Epcot is also a good first park to try one at since the areas are large and not as crowded as MK.

Someone with mobility concerns for boarding really needs to board at the exit of many rides. for rides with moving walkways, if you board at the exit (the wheelchair entrance) the CMs can slow or even stop the moving walkways for you. Since no one else is boarding there, it also gives extra time and room for you to board and get settled.
This link should take you to a thread about ride boarding when you need extra time.
If you are using a wheelchair or ecv, you will be automatically using the wheelchair entrances. If you choose to walk, you really need to go to Guest Services in any of the parks and ask for a Guest Assistance Card (as Cheshire Figment mentioned) that would allow you to use the wheelchair entrances without having a wheelchair. This would also allow you to avoid stairs.
These are the places that DIS posters have reported renting wheelchairs/ecvs from:
Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter