Extending tickets vs using credit

JakeAZ

DIS Veteran
Anyone think Disney will just extend all unused tickets through 2021? Would be so much easier vs having to use the credit to purchase new ones. Especially if you purchased elsewhere or had some type of corporate discount.

I was thinking more of a convenience thing. At the end of the day, you can just apply the credit, so it seems like an unnecessary step Disney can remove as people go through the process of re-booking.

Hard to think they will raise ticket prices during the next couple years since attendance will be down across the board. But even if they do raise them a few bucks each day, is that worth the hassle to them and the guests to go through the whole process of using a credit and sending out new tickets?

Disney has to be able to track the day your are attending and having thousands of use anytime tickets is not ideal for their planning. That is clearly the reason they set the Dec 15 date. They need to have some control of levels around the busy Christmas season. They also have to get back to normal business at some point.

Everyone right now with unused tickets could change their dates to Christmas time. That doesn't mean they are guaranteed entry.

I'm just saying if my original dates were April 2020, and I change to Feb 2021, allowing me to just change to those dates within the app would save time and resources.

It's not a huge deal to turn expired tickets into a credit and then rebuy them, but why not just make it as easy as possible? Especially when the alternative will likely cost Disney money, not make them money. If it's just a few instances, I could see them keeping the 2020 timeline, but we're talking tens of thousands that will end up rebooking into 2021 and beyond.

I wouldn't be surprised if they extend.

If you choose to go over Christmas you have to choose a date. Right now the way the extended tickets are setup Disney does not know if I am attending until show up in the morning. A ticket does not guarantee attendance to a specific park but they are tracking over all attendance each day to keep a tab on things. They can not track that without date specific tickets which is why so many non date specific tickets is a problem.

At the end of the day, you can just apply the credit, so it seems like an unnecessary step Disney can remove as people go through the process of re-booking.
Because Disney can then raise ticket prices in 2021, and all of the people who have credits will have to pay the price difference when they purchase their tickets next year. You can apply the value of your tickets to a new ticket purchase if you don't use them by the end of the year, but there's no guarantee they will be the same price. I have to think Disney will implement a price increase when the time is right because they will obviously need to recoup some of their losses.

Unfortunately, I do not, I think the extension until Dec is pretty generous.
I have to disagree. There are many people who are only able to visit Disney in the summer due to work and school schedules. If things at Disney aren’t back to normal at any point this summer, and a trip later in the year is impossible, that December extension really doesn’t feel generous anymore. A switch to the same week next year would be a decent option, in my option.

I have to disagree. There are many people who are only able to visit Disney in the summer due to work and school schedules. If things at Disney aren’t back to normal at any point this summer, and a trip later in the year is impossible, that December extension really doesn’t feel generous anymore. A switch to the same week next year would be a decent option, in my option.

True, but Disney could have not given any extension, and just told people they value could be there for future tickets,

So, yes, it will be a plus for some, but not all. I don’t think anything they do would be the best option for all,

I don't think Disney has the technology to track the week every cancelled guest would have the opportunity to use their tickets in the next year. Regardless, its not as if you are out the money entirely - you'll still be able to apply what you paid for those tickets towards your next ticket purchase, whenever you're able to reschedule if not before the end of the year.

I think an extension past December 15 is highly unlikely. Ticket prices rise dramatically for the last 2 weeks of December and, if WDW can open, I can imagine they want to maximize their profits at that busy time of year. If they do not raise ticket prices next year and guests have to push their trips out past the expiration date, then simply applying the value of the old ticket to the new one will be a wash. They phased out non-expiration date tickets years ago for a variety of reasons and instituted date-based tickets for tracking and accounting purposes as well. I would imagine WDW wants to get back to business as usual as soon as they can. As PP noted, extending them to December 15 was generous to begin with, IMHO.

Also in regards to tickets and prices no one knows. If they are trying to recoup loses from this time period, it does not automatically mean raising prices. People are suffering economically which means vacations are not even in their thought process. Depending how life shakes out after this we could see significant lowering of prices to essentially beg people to attend. Look at historical prices and how low tickets and resort prices were in 2008-2013 window during the Recession. Those prices are laughable compared to what we pay now and today's prices are not simply inflation. Disney will continue to raise prices if people pay them but that may all change in the next 6 months to how every many years.

To make my point: Anyone remember the buy 4 days get 3 days tickets???? INSANE

I put the odds of them raising ticket prices in the next few years at close to zero. They will try to squeeze you once there, but ticket prices will not be one of those areas. Tickets need to be purchased in advance, so they are a barrier to coming. Disney will do whatever they can to seem like they are "lowering" the barriers. They will be hurting for guests, there is no doubt about that. Even if they get 100% of their normal US guest attendance (which they won't), they won't get anywhere near the usual amount of international visitors.

It would be easier and more efficient to just make all currently unused tickets expire (into a credit) at the end of 2021 or later. Why make us go through the process of rebuying tickets? It's an unnecessary step. And again, it's a step that would cost Disney resources and money.

But hey, if they start offering those insane ticket deals, I'm more than happy to turn my credit into a better deal.

My concern is that I bought my tickets before the last ticket price increase. So, if I go anytime after Dec 15, I cannot get the same number of days for the same price, even if I go at the exact same dates next year. I realize this is absolutely a first world problem, but it's not my fault I can't use the tickets this month, and I don't know if I can make a trip happen before December. Even if Disney doesn't raise prices again, I'll have to pay to bring the ticket prices up to current rates.

I also got a really good room deal through Hotwire, and I've not seen anything remotely in that range on any sample dates I've googled. I'll probably end up paying more for my flights, too, because so many routes have been cut. So, basically, I know my trip is going to be more expensive, no matter what. I'd just really like Disney to find a way that my tickets don't become another cost. I'm happy to spend my money on their food, hotels, and souvenirs. But I've already purchased tickets.

I am sure there will be a price increase after the Dec 15th date. We have pushed our trip to Feb 2021 and I full anticipate having to pay that increase. I think attendance is going to skyrocket after this passes.

Unfortunately, I do not, I think the extension until Dec is pretty generous.

Considering its a Pandemic and international borders aren’t even open yet and we have no idea when ? And if it will be safe .. I’m not finding dec 15 generous at all. Kids will be back in school and have no breaks prior to Christmas break and those with health concerns won’t feel comfortable traveling for awhile .
Canadians returning to Canada at this point have to self quarantine for 14 days and I can’t get 3 weeks off work for a week at Disney and if it doesn’t change ..no way kids could miss an extra two weeks if we go when school is out for a week. Not too many Canadians would .
There’s a lot of unknowns right now and I think Disney will prepare although not disclose for all of this.

Considering its a Pandemic and international borders aren’t even open yet and we have no idea when ? And if it will be safe .. I’m not finding dec 15 generous at all. Kids will be back in school and have no breaks prior to Christmas break and those with health concerns won’t feel comfortable traveling for awhile .
Canadians returning to Canada at this point have to self quarantine for 14 days and I can’t get 3 weeks off work for a week at Disney and if it doesn’t change ..no way kids could miss an extra two weeks if we go when school is out for a week. Not too many Canadians would .
There’s a lot of unknowns right now and I think Disney will prepare although not disclose for all of this.

To be fair, they didn’t have to do anything, Tickets retain the value paid so they could have just said, when you rebook, you will simply pay the difference,

They did not so the way I look at it, them not charging extra for date based trips between March and the end of the year was generous.

Again, IMO, Disney doesn’t owe guests extras...and they did indeed give us that with this extension.

My concern is that I bought my tickets before the last ticket price increase. So, if I go anytime after Dec 15, I cannot get the same number of days for the same price, even if I go at the exact same dates next year. I realize this is absolutely a first world problem, but it's not my fault I can't use the tickets this month, and I don't know if I can make a trip happen before December. Even if Disney doesn't raise prices again, I'll have to pay to bring the ticket prices up to current rates.
I get it, but that's an unfortunate disadvantage of buying tickets in advance. No matter the circumstance, tickets are always non-refundable but will hold the value you that you paid so you are still made whole. Respectfully, its not Disney's fault if you can't use the tickets before December. The same policy would apply if coronavirus weren't a thing and you had to cancel on your own accord.

As I mentioned above, the non-refundable aspect is an unfortunate implication of buying tickets in advance. You are still made whole - you are not out the money you paid because the value will always be there when you are able to re-schedule. IF Disney were to raise ticket prices before you can go again (a big IF), you would owe a possibly negligible difference in price. We all have some level of collateral damage from the pandemic - Disney is losing billions, and we may have to pay more on our re-scheduled trips. It is what it is, no one's fault and no one is owed anything.

Agree. Whether it's "I can only travel in the summer", or "We like the month of May", or whatever -- it does seem that you should be allowed to travel at your preferred time of year. For example, we only cruise in the fall. That's "our time".
True, but Disney could have not given any extension, and just told people they value could be there for future tickets,
Well, it wouldn't be a very good long-term strategy to say, "Screw you all -- no refunds, too bad!" That wouldn't engender positive customer relations or good media.
I get it, but that's an unfortunate disadvantage of buying tickets in advance.
To be argumentative, Disney has created a system in which you're almost required to buy ahead of time. I mean, if you're going to take advantage of Fast Passes, you have to buy ahead of time.
People have always had issues with having bought tickets /not being able to travel -- sickness, work, whatever -- but right now we have large numbers of people in that boat, and it's different when the product you bought is literally not available. Companies have to do something when they cannot provide the product they promised.
For example, I had a non-refundable hotel reservation for my daughter's college graduation; however, the hotel literally isn't open -- so they refunded the room. That's fair.

Agree. Whether it's "I can only travel in the summer", or "We like the month of May", or whatever -- it does seem that you should be allowed to travel at your preferred time of year. For example, we only cruise in the fall. That's "our time".
Well, it wouldn't be a very good long-term strategy to say, "Screw you all -- no refunds, too bad!" That wouldn't engender positive customer relations or good media.
To be argumentative, Disney has created a system in which you're almost required to buy ahead of time. I mean, if you're going to take advantage of Fast Passes, you have to buy ahead of time.
People have always had issues with having bought tickets /not being able to travel -- sickness, work, whatever -- but right now we have large numbers of people in that boat, and it's different when the product you bought is literally not available. Companies have to do something when they cannot provide the product they promised.
For example, I had a non-refundable hotel reservation for my daughter's college graduation; however, the hotel literally isn't open -- so they refunded the room. That's fair.

We will agree to disagree, You paid for tickets for X dates and Disney is giving you full credit paid to use them at a later date,

Nothing Disney will ever do will please everyone, and work for everyone, I understand your frustration, but I am one who simply doesn’t believe guests are owed extra during this above and beyond what they paid,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter