• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Extended verandas at the aft, worth it?

Considering the very aft extended verandas are some of the first cabins to be booked, someone must like them :tongue:. Wanted 8188, but it was snatched up by someone Platinum or Gold, because by the time Silver could book it was already taken. So, we have booked 8684 on the Fantasy for our Nov 2018 Western sailing. Have to admit I am a little nervous about the vibrations and movement, but I am more excited about the veranda space and view. Considering we are only in the room to sleep (and they make drugs to help with that :rolleyes1), I think the pros outweigh the cons ( I hope) . 7 days is a long time to be stuck in a cabin that I hate so hoping for the best.

Considering the very aft extended verandas are some of the first cabins to be booked, someone must like them :tongue:. Wanted 8188, but it was snatched up by someone Platinum or Gold, because by the time Silver could book it was already taken. So, we have booked 8684 on the Fantasy for our Nov 2018 Western sailing. Have to admit I am a little nervous about the vibrations and movement, but I am more excited about the veranda space and view. Considering we are only in the room to sleep (and they make drugs to help with that :rolleyes1), I think the pros outweigh the cons ( I hope) . 7 days is a long time to be stuck in a cabin that I hate so hoping for the best.
Agreed! Those are my same worries! I'm with you on the sleep help though - we take it whenever we travel, just in case it gets loud.

Have you noticed that the shaking is constant or just coming into port?

We were in 7194 aft and only noticed vibrations in the mornings when docking. I remember it being pretty intense one morning. It was our alarm clock as we needed to get up anyway. We didn't find it to be a big deal. The verandah far outweighs the vibration issue - at least for us.

Have you noticed that the shaking is constant or just coming into port?

The bad shaking when you're coming into port I think is related to the thrusters. That vibration can be pretty intense but it's not that long. If you're pulling in early, it will wake you up.

Otherwise we occasionally feel it at night when the water's a little rough and the ship is running fast. But not enough to where it bothers us that much.

We'll be in 9674 on the Disney in January 2018. I'm posting this here so that I can remember to report back on whether it was "worth it."

We'll be in 9674 on the Disney in January 2018. I'm posting this here so that I can remember to report back on whether it was "worth it."

we have the same room on the Fantasy for June 2018. Please do come back and let us know.

We have 10158 on the Dream in Jan. I stared with an interior and kept moving up as things opened. My family doesn't know we have this room so really excited to surprise them.

we have the same room on the Fantasy for June 2018. Please do come back and let us know.

We just got off the boat after 7 nights in 9674 on the fantasy. I loved the room (just posted a room review), but I personally will try and book that room again. The location was amazing. The verandah was to die for - simply wonderful. I read books out there, laid in the linger in the sun, enjoyed morning coffee, great views of castaway cay when at port, so near watching from the back while sailing! You do feel the movement and vibrations, but for me (who gets motion sick easily) it was totally worth it!

We just got off the boat after 7 nights in 9674 on the fantasy. I loved the room (just posted a room review), but I personally will try and book that room again. The location was amazing. The verandah was to die for - simply wonderful. I read books out there, laid in the linger in the sun, enjoyed morning coffee, great views of castaway cay when at port, so near watching from the back while sailing! You do feel the movement and vibrations, but for me (who gets motion sick easily) it was totally worth it!

I so agree! We are sailing on the Fantasy next summer for the 3rd time and I always book 9174/9176 - right next door to your room. We love the location so much - from the huge balcony and the privacy of being aft. The views are amazing. I can easily ignore the vibrations.

We were in this room on the Dream our last Cruise, and were able to get it on the Fantasy for our Eastern Caribbean Cruise Next July. We absolutely love this room.

The more I think about it......It's terrible! The room smells, and the Verandah is awful! The view is terrible, and It's a Loooong walk to everything.....LOL! You don't want this room.....:rolleyes1 :teeth:

I so agree! We are sailing on the Fantasy next summer for the 3rd time and I always book 9174/9176 - right next door to your room. We love the location so much - from the huge balcony and the privacy of being aft. The views are amazing. I can easily ignore the vibrations.

How is a balcony anyone at Cabanas or on the aft of the top deck can look down on "private"???

How is a balcony anyone at Cabanas or on the aft of the top deck can look down on "private"???
By private I meant the aft of the ship itself is very isolated. Not many people walk the halls unless you stay there.
But in all honesty, unless you were at the edge of the balcony, it is very private with the covering. I checked when I was in cabanas. Now the people on deck 10, well that’s a different story.

I would say "partially" Private...... Half of your balcony is covered by the balcony above you, nut once you step beyond that, yes the way the back of the ship is designed, those above you can see down on your balcony.

Here is a picture with the view from the balcony looking up. What you see is the white wall overhand, from the balcony above, giving you partial privacy.....

IMG_3573.JPG

Gotcha. I got "upgraded" (in Disney's mind, NOT mine) to one of the Deck 5 balconies on the Fantasy and HATED that people could look down on the balcony. Didn't use it as much because of that - and I wouldn't have done anything but sit out and read. I personally would never call that "private". At least the side-by-side ones someone has to actively try to look at you.

Yes, Cheribelle is right, if you are standing at the railing, at the edge of your balcony, people can look down on you. I would always be able to wave Hi or Good morning to people in the cabins above and below us, if I was standing at the railing.

Here is picture showing the balcony. You can see the overhang above. There is plenty of room so you can leave the chairs under the overhang, or move them beyond to be more in the open. Depending on the position of the ship, there can be more of less sun........

IMG_3581_DxO.jpg

Last edited:
We are cruising on Fantasy, 10 February of 2018 and I have booked cabin 9672, an aft facing cabin. This is our second cruise on Fantasy, and our second aft facing cabin. I would warn anyone who does not like ship motion, or vibration from running engines to stay midship, and well away from any aft cabins. This makes it much easier for me to get the aft cabin in want when I book, as I don't mind motion or vibration and have never seen any soot on the balcony to speak of. I agree that they are nearer to the things that I want to see, like the nightclub district and Meridian as well as the one Dining Rooms. I love the view, and as I'm a bit of an introvert, the large balcony allows me a quiet place to sit and relax and enjoy the sea, as well as allow great views of ports and Castaway Cay.

I really tend to warn others away from these cabins! But for selfish reasons....

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee, FL

Thank you. That is exactly what I wanted to hear

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter