• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Extended verandas at the aft, worth it?

My wife and I were in a deck 8 rear facing cabin on Fantasy two years ago, and enjoyed it a LOT. I have also had rear facing cabins on other lines, and find that I enjoy them each time. I'm enough of an introvert and I can stand to be around crowds of people for short periods, and then need a quiet place to get away. The aft cabins large balcony is that place. I have seen some issues with the soot from the ship, mostly when in port, but I pointed it out to the cabin steward and he cleaned it up right away. We have another Fantasy cruise scheduled for Feb of 2018, and have a rear facing cabin on deck 9. I don't like the deck 10 cabins for the noise above, I do enjoy the view of the wake as we are underway, I am NOT affected by movement, but recall last time that it could get pretty 'rocky' in the cabin, especially when the Captain put on some speed to get us from San Juan to Castaway Cay. I don't mind the vibration, or the noise from the ship when docking. I guess that the rear facing cabins are just about my favorite cabin on most ships....

Tractortom in Okeechobee, FL

I have seen some issues with the soot from the ship, mostly when in port, but I pointed it out to the cabin steward and he cleaned it up right away.

Did you ever notice it in the air? We were planning on staying on the ship one of the port days, and laying out on the balcony and looking out over the island was part of the plan (assuming they back in). However I guess if it really was noticeable while we were sitting there we could always go up to a pool deck...

We're back! We had room 8188.

Pros: QUIET! There is literally no traffic because the room is in the center of the back of the hallway. Those on your left use the left hallway, the ones on the right use the right hallway.
The balcony is amazing! It's huge.
I didn't notice any soot problems.
You can see folks above and below, but for the most part, it's very private.
Suta, our room steward was absolutely awesome. Very personable, friendly and took care of everything in our room.
TONS of storage! Closets, drawers, trunk, under bed...plenty of space!

Cons: VIBRATION!!! We had to back into Castaway Cay with full engine power, thrusters, the works due to the wind and currents! The entire room was shaking! I think this was due to the power it took to dock that day (we had to attempt twice).
If you're sleeping in the bed, your body rocks head to toe which is really weird. On the couch or bunk, you rock side to side.
Forward ship is FAR away. :)

We got this room the day it was released and it wasn't much more than an inside or oceanview. If we could get a similar deal, we'd book again.
Thanks for this! We just booked 8188 on the Fantasy, so this is helpful! Did you have lounge chairs?

Just wanted to share that we were in 7194 on the Dream 4/10. We had a table, 2 regular chairs, 2 shortie loungers, and 1 regular length chaise.

We're booked in a Aft facing room next February on Deck 9, was in one two years ago in November for a similar cruise on Fantasy. If I was you, I would stay far, far away from these rooms. Ship motion is magnified the further aft you go, vibration from the engine and hull are awful! If you tend to sea-sickness, this is the place that will drive you crazy! The noise is bad, and the balcony is always covered with soot from the engine and its always a too long walk to the elevator or stairs. I would not recommend these cabin for anyone! The fact that they have two chairs, a table and two lounges is really only payback for all the down sides of having one of these terrible cabins that have the beds facing the wrong way! That way, it's easy for me to book one, and enjoy the quiet space, watching the ships wake as we travel through a blue sea, headed down to the islands.

We have 9674 on the Fantasy for June of 2018. Hoping the extended balcony will help with having 4 adults in the room. Normally we get 2 staterooms for our family but weren't able to swing it this time. I would love to hear first hand reviews and see more pics if anyone has any (other than the link already posted).

We are doing extended aft cabins on the magic in 2018, hope they aren't too rocky, the verandahs are huge

i don't think it's overly extended (it's marked as "obstructed" on the website TBH), but I'm pondering 6188 for my Fantasy Western. I'm trying to hold off until we get reports from the upcoming if the vibrations have improved - mainly because I do like my 10024 and if I don't try going aft I don't want it to be gone so I want to hold onto it for now.

Does anyone have experience in 6188 with the vibration situation prior to dry dock?

I'm going to be the voice of dissent. I'm not a fan.

On the Magic, the accessible balconies are at the back (except for the brand new one added during the re-imagining). Not a fan. Yes, the balconies are huge but the motion is bad.

I have fewer sea sick issues with cabins forward because it's more of an up/down motion, then the side to side shimmy of the aft.

Same here. Twice on the Dream, I've had family stay on Deck 10 in the very back and there is NO WAY I could have done it. Way too much motion for me. I was fine midship though.

We had 10658 on the Fantasy a few years ago and loved it. I picked the room, probably 2 years out I think. It wasn't opening day or anything like that. We had no issues with vibration or movement that was out of the ordinary. I would love to book that room again.

We just booked 5650 on the Fantasy. You need to Google the verandah pics - crazy big! It's considered an aft cabin, but barely. I'm hoping the location reduces movement.

We just booked 5650 on the Fantasy. You need to Google the verandah pics - crazy big! It's considered an aft cabin, but barely. I'm hoping the location reduces movement.

We stayed in this cabin this past January for the Eastern itinerary on the Fantasy and LOVED it! So much so that we have it booked for our November 2018 Western itinerary on the Fantasy :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter