Experience of testing positive at port

I have a question for those who say to have a back-up plan in case someone tests positive at the port. What back-up plan? If you are positive, you should be quarantined for 5 days.
The back-up plan would be how/where to do that quarantine. Where will you go, how will you get there, can you head home or will you need to stay in the greater Orlando area?

I have a question for those who say to have a back-up plan in case someone tests positive at the port. What back-up plan? If you are positive, you should be quarantined for 5 days.

Our backup plan was a rental car and a road trip home. Takeout/drive through meals in the car or in the room. Motels with outdoor corridors. Depending on how we were feeling maybe a beach house. Quarantine does not mean you have to be locked away with this disease. You have to be away from others. There are plenty of ways to to have outdoor or isolated backup plans.

Yes but where and how do you get there?
Disney has been driving positive guests to a location of their choosing in Orlando for Port Canaveral departures. Assuming they would do the same in other ports. You can have them take you to a car rental and the positive person waits outside while you pick up a rental car.

I you want to be sure of a quick/easy exit, you could rent a car, drive it to the port, and plan to pay for parking at the port for the cruise duration and return the rental after. More costly but then you’d have the car ready to go if denied boarding.

Disney has been driving positive guests to a location of their choosing in Orlando for Port Canaveral departures. Assuming they would do the same in other ports. You can have them take you to a car rental and the positive person waits outside while you pick up a rental car.

I you want to be sure of a quick/easy exit, you could rent a car, drive it to the port, and plan to pay for parking at the port for the cruise duration and return the rental after. More costly but then you’d have the car ready to go if denied boarding.
Yeah, we have a loose plan that includes getting the Wi-Fi password immediately. I think the majority of people head to the parks though…

Thank you for taking the time to share your story.

I am so sorry for the awful experience.

Just another reminder that Disney uses a PCR test. Home tests are different- they are antigen and may show different results if you screen yourself for piece of mind beforehand.. This is why if you assume you had Omicron or had a past infection. get a PCR test taken back at home and if that shows positive you can use this later to be exempt from embarkation testing within if you are within those timeframes and have proper documenation.

OP- that nurse sounded HORRIBLE. So sorry you guys had to experience that.

Do you have to ben within 90 days for the PCR test? How does the excemption work?

Do you have to ben within 90 days for the PCR test? How does the excemption work?
The 90-day exemption requires a positive PCR (maybe NAAT) test within 11-90 days prior to embarkation. If your test was earlier than that, you may want to test again to see if it still comes up positive. If positive within that window, you would also need a note from a medical provider stating that you are recovered and fit to travel.

This thread gives more of the details:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/90-day-recovery-status.3865302/

Believe it’s 90-10 days before cruise date. You need documentation positive PCR and recovered note. Others are more experts here

This story is enough to make me never ever want to consider a Disney cruise. What an awful experience! Hopefully your son was able to put it behind him, and you're able to make up for it with an even better vacation doing something else.

My wife and I are driving down ourselves. So, if I were to ping positive at the port (she has 90-day exemption) then my backup plan is a) get a refund, b) see what $3500 can buy me in the way of a beach house or other rental for the 5 days of quarantine, c) continue back to the Yacht Club for our already planned weekend stay we have reserved post-cruise (will be 5 days by that point so no more quarantining). Ain't NO way I'm not getting some sort of vacation out of this.

Brutal experience. Sorry that happened.
We have had two separate cruises booked in the past two years, only to eventually cancel them both. We were afraid something like this would happen to us and we simply couldn't chance it.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter