Exercising - how to motivate yourself?

adamak

DIS Veteran
OK. I am gaining so much weight recently, I feel sluggish. Peopel on the train thinks I'm pregnant. All my friends told me I'm fat. And I'm not happy about it. I really need to exercise, but I don't get any motivation from friends or family. Most people told me... you're only size blah blah, you're ok. However, I truly believe that size does not matter. All I want is to be healthy. I eat rather healthily, but with family visiting, all hell break lose.

So, what's your secret of keeping up with your regular workout? I mean, if I must get a hot trainer to achieve my goal, I would!

Make it a regular part of your daily routine.

I wake up at 5:30 am and get on the treadmill for 30 minutes every day before work. I watch the early morning news while I run. If I don't do it first thing in the morning, I won't do it later on in the day.

Once you get started, you WILL feel better. Exercise actually gives you more energy, and just makes you feel better overall.

Good luck!

I agree with Deb, make it a part of your schedule. Like Deb, I get up early(before 5:00) before the rest of the family so I can go out and do my 3 mile jog in peace. Then I come home and ab crunch for about 15 minutes...again no one interrupts me at that hour. then I hop onthe Dis for a few minutes(what Im doing now) before DH gets out of the shower. I guess I should go since he just got out.
BTW, as for motivation, I hate getting out of bed, but I know if I dont do it then, it will hang over my head all day and I wont be able to go until about 6:00pm. Id much rather get it over with ASAP.

keep repeating this to yourself
Im going to the Caribbean
(I read your other post before I read this one)

After our last mini-vaca Labor Day wknd Im hoping the cruise is enough to get my exercise routine in higher gear

Groosch adamak,

I agree with all of the above....Deb is 100% right on about it making you feel better & give'in you more energy. Personally, I've found that my motivation to be sucessful had to come from 'within'...you've got to make a commitment to yourself.

Once you've found an activity that you enjoy..and get yourself into the habit of doing it on a regular basis...you'll even feel 'weird' if you miss your exercise.

Except in a few very rare cases...you can change your body thur diet and exercise the physics of getting physical is 'easy'....create an image in your mind of where you want to be, and use the power of your mind to achieve your goal! :)

Making yourself stand in front of the mirror helps. ;) :D

Seriously, it should become a regular part of your day, like brushing your teeth. Don't just try to squeeze it in every day. You should also find something you'll really like. Right now is a great time to go swimming. Swimming burns a lot of calories, and it's so easy on your body. (I don't actually do it because it turns my hair green, but you might like it.)

Do something you like. Nothing kills motivation like feeling that you are on a forced march - doing something you really DO NOT LIKE! Even the things we like to do can be hard to get motivated about - but at least start with the odds in your favor. I like to bike ride - so I do that (both stationary and real bike). I also enjoy walking and hiking (so I do that during my lunch hours when possible).

Great advice so far. Like Deb and CamColt I get up early and get my running in before the rest of my family gets up. If I waited to exercise later in the day there would always be something that would take priority over the workout.

A few things I use for motivation;

1) Set short term attainable, but challenging, goals. It could be being able run 2 miles within 2 months, or biking for 40 minutes. Running is my main form of exercise and I motivate myself by signing up for local races (5k & 10k) a few weeks out. Write down your goals and refer to them often.

2) Although setting goals are important, don't overdo the exercise in order to achieve those goals. Injury is one of the biggest killers of motivation.

3) Keep exercise and food journals.

4) One of the biggest motivators is putting on a bathing suit and have take pictures of yourself, then repeat this process every four weeks. Even if losing fat is not one of the goals, seeing the change in your body over time is incredibly motivating.

5) If you still have motivation problems, sometimes getting an exercise buddy helps. Not showing up for an exercise session would mean you are letting down two people, not just one.

Good luck!

I thought of one more thing, vary your workouts. If you usually run or walk, every few weeks throw in a couple of bike rides or Tai Bo sessions. This will keep you from getting bored or your muscles from getting too accustomed to the same activity.

My excuse these days is I have the kids at home with me and I can't do it ( although I am constantly on the move ) but once they go back to school in 27 days ( yes I am counting the days ) , I will be able to take my walks everyday rain or shine, my mailbox is 2 miles away from home so I will walk to pick up the mail and I know I will do it.

I have a subliminal tape for exercise motivation. For whatever reason, it does seem to help, when I remember to play it.

I will definitely say the 'I am going to Carribean' thing. That should motivate me to do anything.

Taking a picture of myself probably will work too. Hope that it's not getting worse and worse. :(

I love swimming, but being in NYC, that's kinda tough. Also, it's too much of a hassle to clean up afterwards. (That's why a trip to Carribean should help, right?).

Right now I can't even run on a treadmill for 10 minutes straight. So maybe that would be my first goal. 10 minutes. (Don't laugh please)

Thanks everyone.

ALMOST FORGOT!!

adamak, also, you should CHECK WITH YOUR PHYSICIAN first before starting an exercise program.

Best of luck to you, and have fun getting in shape!!

Right now I can't even run on a treadmill for 10 minutes straight. So maybe that would be my first goal. 10 minutes. (Don't laugh please)

yer'll never hear me 'goofy at yer' on this!
-any activity more vigirous than clicking a tv remote is good for you! :)

....once ya get that check up that Deb suggests....perhaps you should start by walking?....gradually build up so you can go a couple of miles...or 30-60 minutes and not have it 'phase' ya...then think about jogging....also...do not exclude some strenght training...it will help! :)

Just reading this thread yesterday motivated me!
I got up at 4:30 this morning and worked out before getting ready for work. I knew that trying to squeeze in a workout in the evenings was going to be fruitless, so that's why I made up my mind to do it in the mornings. DH is working out with me, since he's paranoid about me walking two buildings away in our complex to get to the gym.
I knew I had to be in training for our upcoming WDW trip, so it was the perfect final nail-in-the-coffin to get us going!
-MrsAPalm

I have started to walk. Not very far....but I am moving. I also have a powerrider that I am going to start doing. Yes, I think maybe 5 minutes will be all I can start at, but I need to, for health reasons.

I will also be repeating I am going to Mexico, the Caribbean, and Castaway Cay!!!:)

Just to add my 2 cents to the excellent advice already offered ... one simple thing has helped me put my exercise time in perspective. I stopped giving myself a choice. Here's what I mean. I used to wake up and think about whether or not I would exercise - and I'd always find 'good' reasons to skip it. Finally, one day, I decided to changed my 'frame of mind.' Now, there is no internal debate (will I or won't I workout) - if it's Mon., Wed., or Fri, then it's exercise day - period! It occurred to me that I don't have an 'argument' with myself everyday about whether or not I 'feel like' showering or 'have the energy' to get dressed or 'really need' to brush my teeth so I should treat exercising the same way. I may do a better job of exercising on some days rather than others (depending on the amount of time and energy) BUT there's no more 'dialogue' about whether I'm going to workout or not. It's a given!

Swanmom,
Great great tips. I'll definitely keep that in mind. Set a standard schedule, and no arguement. I probably also will start an exercise journal. I'm also considering joining a swimming or yoga class, if money permits.

GoofyPoster,
I walk alot actually. Living in NYC force you to walk everywhere. (Does shopping count too?) I need more than that now.

Some really good tips in this thread, don't you think?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter