Everything Disney Doll Related

You all are entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine. You can say Disney did a great job in handling this and that it's perfectly fine that some Disney fans (collectors or otherwise) couldn't get the dolls because people were buying them with no other intention than to profit by reselling them. I disagree. Oh, and by the way, I did get a doll so sour grapes are not the issue here. And that's all that I'm going to say on the matter. If you wish to continue to argue this, and defend Disney's methods and scalpers, please have it! :rolleyes:

I do not wish to argue but I don't think I was "defending" anything, I was simply stating that limited edition items are by definition of limited supply and that each person has an equal chance to purchase them. What a person does with it beyond that is their business.

If you apply the notion that everyone should get one, what makes the limited edition dolls any different to any doll that everyone can buy and own? Likewise, if we apply the notion that people shouldn't be able to buy if they intend to sell at a profit, people wouldn't buy houses, antiques, gold, silver, stocks, bonds etc.

I don't defend people who buy and sell, but I don't condemn them or call them unscrupulous either. I am not trying to pick an argument here, it just seems unfair to me that people are viewed negatively for doing something that most people do in one way or another. I bought a house, I sold it for more than I paid to buy a bigger one. I'm not making a moral judgement on what people do with something they buy because I really wouldn't want someone telling me what I can sell my house for, or what I can sell my gold coins for.

I'm not condoning either. But you are calling people unscrupulous. Is that nice to call people names. If you call someone something then people have the right to defend them. That's all. Reselling on eBay is a part of life. Deal with it. Don't resort to name calling people who you do not know personally.

I know that I could never hope to complete any of my collections without the existence of Ebay or Amazon. I just think that collectors can temper some of the greed by setting limits on what they are willing to spend for something on the secondary market. But since there will always be those who have to have it now at any cost, then I really can't blame resellers for taking advantage of that. It doesn't bother me in the least though to hear them referred to as "sharks".

I know that I could never hope to complete any of my collections without the existence of Ebay or Amazon. I just think that collectors can temper some of the greed by setting limits on what they are willing to spend for something on the secondary market. But since there will always be those who have to have it now at any cost, then I really can't blame resellers for taking advantage of that. It doesn't bother me in the least though to hear them referred to as "sharks".
Buy that is one of the advantages of eBay. You can complete your set because of them. If none of these LE dolls were not bought by ebayers and only collectors they would still sell out and you would have zero chance if finishing your collection

There's two sides of every story and pluses and minuses. Those people reselling them are pretty much honest, good people trying to make a living and support themselves.

I'm a collector and I know how disappointing it is to want one of the dolls, not get one, and know that someone else got one just to turn around and sell it for a profit. They won't even appreciate it like I would! It's happened to me many times. It's upsetting, yes, and I hate it when that happens.

At the same time, my brother makes a living with his resale business on eBay and Amazon. He doesn't do the Disney dolls so no worries there, but he does buy from stores and then turns around and sells for higher online. Including limited edition items. That's how he feeds and supports his family and he does nothing illegal or immoral to obtain the items he resells, as much as it sucks to be the person that couldn't get it in store.

I agree. Buying and selling is just one of the things that goes with being a collector. I have paid a fortune for dolls for Mrs R. but I hold no ill will toward the sellers. It is commerce. If you want to get really picky about it, the people who are scalping Disney collectors are Disney! They probably pay $5 to have them manufactured and sell them for $99.50! There isn't a reseller alive that makes more profit out of these dolls than Disney does!

Missing out is upsetting. It's frustrating and irritating to know that the person who did get their name called in the raffle only wants it to sell. But they are not doing anything wrong and they shouldn't be criticized and called names because of it. We live in a time where many people can barely afford to feed their kids, but more millionaires have been created in these tough times than ever before... why? Because they buy the foreclosure houses and sell them at a profit. It's just the way the world is. People make money where they can.

I agree. Buying and selling is just one of the things that goes with being a collector. I have paid a fortune for dolls for Mrs R. but I hold no ill will toward the sellers. It is commerce. If you want to get really picky about it, the people who are scalping Disney collectors are Disney! They probably pay $5 to have them manufactured and sell them for $99.50! There isn't a reseller alive that makes more profit out of these dolls than Disney does! Missing out is upsetting. It's frustrating and irritating to know that the person who did get their name called in the raffle only wants it to sell. But they are not doing anything wrong and they shouldn't be criticized and called names because of it. We live in a time where many people can barely afford to feed their kids, but more millionaires have been created in these tough times than ever before... why? Because they buy the foreclosure houses and sell them at a profit. It's just the way the world is. People make money where they can.
I know. Some people just need to get off of their high horse and instead of calling them names and thinking they are scum of the earth, that most are honest people trying to make it thru this world. Just ask yourselves what would a extra $200 a month do for your lifestyle. I'm not active in selling on eBay at all. But I have bought a couple of things to resell when I can get my hands on them. That extra money enabled me to buy my wife a really nice anniversary gift and take her out for a special dinner. I thought that made me a nice husband. But apperanrly to some people that such an act of selling on eBay is beneath them and that makes me unscrupulous.

I was explaining to someone at the store how the way it's done now is basically giving the collectors and Ebayers equal opportunity to purchase in store. I would say that the way dolls were sold during the melee of the original designer dolls allowed people to act unscrupulously by brining their entire family including children, seniors and friends. Disney has come up with a way to give everyone a fighting chance. Changing the time of the start of sale, raffle, 18 and up w/ ID and one per person. There is about 10 people who have been collecting the dolls including my self at our local store. 6 of us out of 28 dolls were called. Sucks its wasn't everyone but the was not a mess.

I was apart of the server crash for Snow White so I don't have her. Completed my purchase at 12:03am got an email later saying they had a problem and my order was not able to be filled. So No Snow....

My husband & I was there at 4 am 16th person in line to purchase the last of the 5 princesses. Waited till 9 am and by the time 9 came we were almost 40th in line after all the people let their family in later. Disney handed out tickets for each dolls they had down the line. The person in front of me got the last full set of 5, me the last set of 4 and the girl behind me only wanted one doll. The min buy was 2 dolls each, no age limit, no ID, card didn't have to match. It sucked!

The last two years experience with buying the dolls is much better then that. I also agree I haven't accepted the price of the dolls I need to complete my set so I haven't bought them yet. Maybe I will but no hurting for them enough.

I have decided I'm going to try top prepurchase the set next year, go to d23 convention (almost when this year...kicking my self now) and get the d23 one if its possible or they make one.

The D23 Expo is only every other year. Unfortunately the next expo isn't till 2015 so you won't be able to pre-order next years dolls that way =0(

The D23 Expo is only every other year. Unfortunately the next expo isn't till 2015 so you won't be able to pre-order next years dolls that way =0(

Bubble Burst!!!!! Lol damn it! Oh well I guess its another few weeks of inconvienice then. Tis what it is. Glad you told me know I would have been really butt hurt when I went to make reservations. I never normally go to DL in summer too hot and too crowded but I was going to make an expectation. 2015 it is.

That is correct, the D23 Expo is bi-annual. There is usually a pre-order on the website though. There was this year but it was limited in number because many of the sets were pre-ordered at the Expo. The interesting part with the pre-order set is that they did not have matching numbers this time. With the previous sets, the dolls all shared the same number, but this time one doll didn't match for everyone I know who ordered the set.

In regard to paying eBay prices, I completely understand why people do not want to pay $300+ for the dolls, but the best predictor of the future is the past and history with these dolls shows you that prices go up and up. The first 17" doll, Snow White, now sells for $500+ and she has risen steadily in price from when she was released in 2009. My theory (and it is for everyone to make their own decisions about this) is that it is better to get them sooner rather than later. If you miss one, wait until the initial craziness slows down and buy as soon as you can. For example, the new Ariel & Eric doll, buying now will run you $350-400, once Christmas is over, they'll probably drop to $250 and that's the time to buy. They will never go to retail again and when the second wave of these dolls comes out next year, prices will spike again.

Kerry, I have read some accounts of people attending this year's D23 who waited in line for hours and were not able to buy or pre-order what they wanted. And if you are one of the lucky ones, it's still a good idea to weigh the cost of attending that convention to what you might have had to spend on Ebay later on. D23 sounds a lot like Comic Con. You spend hours waiting for tickets to forums and in the process miss most of the main event.

Kerry, I have read some accounts of people attending this year's D23 who waited in line for hours and were not able to buy or pre-order what they wanted. And if you are one of the lucky ones, it's still a good idea to weigh the cost of attending that convention to what you might have had to spend on Ebay later on. D23 sounds a lot like Comic Con. You spend hours waiting for tickets to forums and in the process miss most of the main event.

I have season passes to DL and the tickets to get into the expo was less then $100 for the whole weekend. And if I can use my DVC for the hotel it's worth it to get try and get the set. And it's an extra excuse to convince my husband I should go to DL again. Lol!

That puts you ahead of the game. :thumbsup2 We know Sleeping Beauty is a good bet for release next year. Now we can only wonder what they will release two years from now.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice for displaying the dolls in tiny spaces? Like...shoebox apartments? Lol I just moved and only have room to display 4 right now.

IKEA has been mentioned before as a possible source of wall shelves. You can buy single shelves and place them high on your wall, unless you have very low ceilings, of course. Not everyone has an IKEA nearby, but we make it a fun day trip. Their Detolf glass cabinets are nice too. They don't take up a lot of room and are very affordable.

The only way to "guarantee" getting all the things you want at the Expo is to buy the sorcerer ticket which gives you priority for everything including the merchandise. I read a bunch of reports from people that the Sorcerers were buying up to 10 of each LE item without a question. That said, the Sorcerers tickets are $1500 each! :scared1:

The only way to "guarantee" getting all the things you want at the Expo is to buy the sorcerer ticket which gives you priority for everything including the merchandise. I read a bunch of reports from people that the Sorcerers were buying up to 10 of each LE item without a question. That said, the Sorcerers tickets are $1500 each! :scared1:
$1500 is insane holy cow!!! Lol! That is terrifying. lol! I could buy them on eBay for that price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter