Everybody's Celebrating Something! No Questions Asked!

Next trip I will for the first time be in a park on my birthday. I plan on wearing a button that day. Later in the trip DW will also be celebrating her birthday too.

That other poster was 100% right....when everyone is 'special', no one is special.

Merely existing isn't special enough.

Same thing with birthdays at WDW....special to you, but not so much to everyone else.

And so was the poster that said 'everyone has a birthday. It doesn't make you special'.

And to the bolded... Exactly why I don't get why people are so bent out of shape about people wearing birthday pins.

My take is this: Disney makes an abundance of these buttons because they want people to feel happy and I highly doubt they care whether or not it's really someone's birthday. They market the vacation as a celebration and their entire brand is based on making people feel special by going above and beyond the typical theme park experience. With that in mind, who cares if it's someone's actual birthday? Disney wants everyone to feel special and acknowledged and I am not sure why anyone feels so negative about that. It's obviously what Disney wants or they wouldn't make so many of the buttons in the first place.

Disney would probably love for someone in every group that walks through the gates to have a celebration button. Because the buttons and the confetti on your table, and maybe a free cupcake cost them almost nothing. But families who may tend towards frugal but buy an extra round of Mickey bars, a character buffet, a BBB experience, an extra day at the park because "it's for your birthday!" are exactly what the marketing department is going for.

People will spend more on a birthday trip or graduation trip than they will on "it's Tuesday".

And so was the poster that said 'everyone has a birthday. It doesn't make you special'.

And to the bolded... Exactly why I don't get why people are so bent out of shape about people wearing birthday pins.

Totally agree. I don't care what others are doing. I just like to be sure that people understand that they may get nothing other than a few 'happy birthdays' from CMs and guests alike if they wear a birthday button.

2 weeks ago my DD met up with friends at MK, it was her actual birthday and one of her friends actual birthdays. The 3rd friend had surprised them both by getting BDay buttons and made dinner ADR's over in Epcot. My DD kept saying how surprised she was that the 3rd friend was able to get 2 buttons for other people (and my DD wasn't even present , hadn't met up with them yet) and didn't have to show ID for them proving it was the actual BDAY etc. They did have a great dinner, with complimentary:bday: song and dessert and even 2 Origami items! My DD is not one for fanfare and one to purposely NOT get a button but since her friend went to the trouble she happily wore it. She had absolutely no expectations due to having a button which made the dinner surprises even better. I'm glad they still offer the option of a button for celebrating whatever, (even tho some expect more to it than just the button itself)because sometimes, when you least expect it, it can add to magic pixiedust:

I don't quite understand the why it's important to ask what someone is celebrating. I figure being able to go on a Disney vacation is enough of a celebration.
I also don't understand why people have this desire to make a special day even more special because of a birthday, anniversary, or first visit. Isn't WDW enough?
That being said, if I see someone wearing a button I will greet them, because obviously the occasion is important to them.

I think you should just look at it as a free memento from your most recent trip.
The expense of a Disney trip (especially when you live far enough away that you have to start by purchasing plane tickets) can add up fast. Sometimes it's the smallest things that make us smile when we return home. Take a button, wear it, don't wear it, take it home, hang it up, add it to a shadow box, stick it on a mirror, and every time you look at it you will remember that trip.

I don't quite understand the why it's important to ask what someone is celebrating. I figure being able to go on a Disney vacation is enough of a celebration.
I also don't understand why people have this desire to make a special day even more special because of a birthday, anniversary, or first visit. Isn't WDW enough?
That being said, if I see someone wearing a button I will greet them, because obviously the occasion is important to them.

For some people just being at WDW IS enough of a celebration. If they dont want a button, no one is going to forcibly pin one on their chestal region.

If it is a first visit, then what is wrong with getting or giving a button to mark the occasion? Having it as a souvenir of that first (or perhaps only) visit? Same thing if you are one of the thousands of newlyweds who honeymoon at WDW each year- a little memento .

Many people, however, go to Disney parks relatively frequently. Maybe they DO want to do something extra or special if a particular trip is to mark a special occasion in their life. A button doesn't seem to be too extravagant a gesture to make, surely.

Our family (in varying configurations and numbers over the years) have been visiting the parks for decades now. We never bothered with buttons. HOWEVER: When each of my DDs honeymooned there, they wore their buttons every day. When DH and I visited for our delayed 30th anniversary celebration after a very hard year, we wore our buttons all week long too. We weren't looking for freebies or handouts. Simply celebrating being together for 3 decades. But the smiles and Happy Anniversary wishes were very welcome. Was that really too much or too special?

To those making negative comments about birthday pins being worn on an 'unbirthday', not all of us can get to WDW or DL on our exact birthday, my 50th was in August last year, I had to work it because my boss decided she wanted time off instead (yes, she did give herself the day off on her birthday in November and refused my holidays dates this year as her birthday fell half way through, I quit that job as that was the last straw of a whole load of things) Anyway, after spending my 50th working a 9 hour shift and going home to an empty house I still had my belated trip to look forward to, however, I still felt guilty about getting a birthday button as it wasn't my birthday, so I didn't have one, heck I may just get one this year just and put the two letters UN in front of the word birthday. It's Disney and I'm going to have fun and a little bit of magic in my life. Who am I hurting by doing that? And if someone wishes me Happy Birthday I will be thrilled.

On our last trip we found out our son won an award while we were there. We knew results would be posted soon and checked on our laptop every night. We all went out for ice cream the next day to celebrate. We also got him a celebration button and wrote the name of the award on it. The CM insisted our daughter take one too. For the rest of the trip, he was thrilled when people on busses or lines asked about his button. Our daughter (5 years old at the time and her brother's biggest fan) was equally proud to tell anyone who asked that she was celebrating, "My brother is awesome!" I guess it is possible some of the people who asked him about it were members of the button police, but we didn't know that and neither did the kids.

That same trip, we were there on my actual birthday. I don't like attention and did not wear a button. My family bought me a Stitch cake and took care of making my trip magical for me.

I can never go for my birthday, it's July 3rd and between the costs and crowds, I just stay home. Last year, I went to WDW a week before. My BFF told the CMs checking us in at POP that we were there for my bday. I got a button, a call from Mickey and a Mickey signed card. It was unexpected and fun. I wore my button to the parks and when people asked a I told them that it was a pre-birthday trip and my real birthday was in a week.

It's not like I got free entry to a park or a free treat or anything. Maybe a few more stickers than usual. LOL!

I got a cool keepsake and had such a wonderful weekend. I really don't see the big deal about someone grabbing a button. You pay enough to go... if you want a little extra attention to make your trip magical, do it! Seriously, there are other hot issues than just a button.

I can never go for my birthday, it's July 3rd and between the costs and crowds, I just stay home. Last year, I went to WDW a week before. My BFF told the CMs checking us in at POP that we were there for my bday. I got a button, a call from Mickey and a Mickey signed card. It was unexpected and fun. I wore my button to the parks and when people asked a I told them that it was a pre-birthday trip and my real birthday was in a week. It's not like I got free entry to a park or a free treat or anything. Maybe a few more stickers than usual. LOL! I got a cool keepsake and had such a wonderful weekend. I really don't see the big deal about someone grabbing a button. You pay enough to go... if you want a little extra attention to make your trip magical, do it! Seriously, there are other hot issues than just a button.

July 3rd is my birthday too!

For some people just being at WDW IS enough of a celebration. If they dont want a button, no one is going to forcibly pin one on their chestal region.

If it is a first visit, then what is wrong with getting or giving a button to mark the occasion? Having it as a souvenir of that first (or perhaps only) visit? Same thing if you are one of the thousands of newlyweds who honeymoon at WDW each year- a little memento .

Many people, however, go to Disney parks relatively frequently. Maybe they DO want to do something extra or special if a particular trip is to mark a special occasion in their life. A button doesn't seem to be too extravagant a gesture to make, surely.

Our family (in varying configurations and numbers over the years) have been visiting the parks for decades now. We never bothered with buttons. HOWEVER: When each of my DDs honeymooned there, they wore their buttons every day. When DH and I visited for our delayed 30th anniversary celebration after a very hard year, we wore our buttons all week long too. We weren't looking for freebies or handouts. Simply celebrating being together for 3 decades. But the smiles and Happy Anniversary wishes were very welcome. Was that really too much or too special?

I'm sorry you misinterpreted my comments as an attack on wearing a button. I was only expressing my opinion about wearing a button or trying to make my visit more special.
Also, as I said in my post, whenever I see someone wearing a button, I wish them a happy birthday, anniversary etc... I think it's fun, so please wear your buttons with pride!

Interesting experience....I usually will wish someone a 'happpy birthday' if I see that pin..or happy anniversary. Well....this past trip (2 weeks ago) I wished a woman a happy birthday. She looked at me as though I had 14 heads! 'What?' she said. I pointed to her pin....her response? 'Oh.....' as she hurried away. I'm pretty sure her birthday wasn't anywhere close to that particular day. Did I have an issue with it? Nope...don't much care. It costs me nothing to wish someone a happy 'whatever'. But it was of such little significance to her that she forgot it was her 'birthday'!!!

As I've said before...I don't care if someone wears a bunch of buttons, or just one. I just want to be sure they don't expect a ton of 'stuff'. Disney used to give out FPs, free balloons, small birthday cakes, rides with characters, etc. But, it got crazy, with every third person celebrating something. So, all that was cut back, waaaaay back. A cupcake at a meal, a 'signed' card from characters...that's about it. I hate to have guests come back disappointed because they read something here, or elsewhere, and expected to get something because they were wearing buttons. Other than that? Don't much care.

My aunt sister and I are going in December, right over my aunts birthday and we are celebrating it. But this trip is also a (very) delayed graduation trip for me. Though we won't actually recognise that.

Besides my aunts birthday we are also celebrating my divorce which happened last month. We didn't do anything for it because of where it fell, but to us it is a thing that to us needs to be celebrated. (Me getting out of a horrible situation and starting to actually live again.) So we're doing it then.

I know my aunt will wear a button and it might be the whole time. I plan on wearing a generic I'm celebrating button the whole time. Its a happy time for me.

Info HOW TO GET NOTICED!
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

by Cast Member Jane

When I vacationed at Disney as a kid, I sometimes wound up on the receiving end of some special attention and some "magical moments," as I'm sure many of you have. And while you can't engineer (or Imagineer) these things, there are some things you can do to increase your chances of getting a little extra love from Cast Members:

Take advantage of the complimentary celebration buttons. Disney cast members are a pretty magical bunch, but we aren't mind readers. If you're celebrating something special like a birthday or anniversary, take a free button. Cast members are instructed to look for and recognize them. At the most you could get some extra special attention, and at the least you'll get a lot of congratulations and good wishes.

so with this what you will..... lol

It know it may sound silly to some people, but we'll be at wdw for our 40th anniversary in August, and I'm looking forward to wearing my button. Not expecting any special pixie dust - but I'm proud of the fact we've lasted 40 years, and feeling blessed we can enjoy it at our favorite place. :) (with an ADR at BOG on the night of our 40th!)

Congrats on 40, we'll be there the same time celebrating our 24th. With our work schedules, I work first, she works second ,we hardly get to see each other. On our actual date we were both working, we went to dinner a few days after. Wife doesn't know it but I made an adr at Coral Reef for our "Anniversary" dinner, she is a seafood eater and we have never eaten there before. Yeah we'll wear an anniversary button while we are there with 24 years written on it, my "extra perk" for celebrating our anniversary while we are there is being with my wife of 24years and sharing the time with our kids, nothing Disney could give me would top that.

Our anniversary date is in June but after 24 years together we get to celebrate all year round! :thumbsup2

Thinking about putting one on the kids that reads "Celebrating not being sold to pay for the trip!"

We are so excited to get our buttons! It is a first visit for our 3 youngest and we are celebrating our 5 year old getting her gtube out. Anyone who has dealt with that knows how hard she had to work( and us) to get that done. We are also celebrating the adoption of our 2 littles. So excited for that!!!

I wondered if I should say anything about my anniversary when I go down in October since our anniversary is also in October, but now I'm glad I didn't put any celebrations on our online check-in, since we won't be there on the exact day! I didn't realize that it was so important to anyone to have it be an exact day or anything since you rarely get more than a Cast Member smiling and telling you "congrats" anyway. It's rarely that much of a perk. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter