• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Every Wish That We Put Into Motion.... (comments welcome!)

So I’ve been feeling like my gps has been a bit off this spring. On my runs at home it’s been beeping for a mile about 75 yards sooner than it did last year when I go one direction. The other way, it’s the same as last year. Well tonight I ran before ds’s baseball game. This is a route a ran a LOT last year. And when I got to around the half mile mark my watch said I was at 10:50 pace, which is at least 2min/mi faster than normal (especially considering I had just ran up a hill.) I pulled back in the pace, finished the run and now that we are home I’m looking at the map. It has my running through the woods. Not even close to the road, my start point is almost 1/4mi off, etc. I have no idea what to make of this. I was in the parking lot of a park, with soccer and baseball fields to start, so it’s not like the gps signal was being obstructed. Just very strange.

I have a vivoactive 4s, and everything is updated. I’m probably going to go check the maps on my other runs and compare the same routes to last year.

So… my Garmin had a little weird route (through people’s backyards) at the beginning of my run tonight. I use a foot pod, also, so I think my distance was correct, but Garmin 🤷‍♀️.

Maybe their satellites didn’t want to connect tonight…

So I’ve been feeling like my gps has been a bit off this spring. On my runs at home it’s been beeping for a mile about 75 yards sooner than it did last year when I go one direction. The other way, it’s the same as last year. Well tonight I ran before ds’s baseball game. This is a route a ran a LOT last year. And when I got to around the half mile mark my watch said I was at 10:50 pace, which is at least 2min/mi faster than normal (especially considering I had just ran up a hill.) I pulled back in the pace, finished the run and now that we are home I’m looking at the map. It has my running through the woods. Not even close to the road, my start point is almost 1/4mi off, etc. I have no idea what to make of this. I was in the parking lot of a park, with soccer and baseball fields to start, so it’s not like the gps signal was being obstructed. Just very strange.

I have a vivoactive 4s, and everything is updated. I’m probably going to go check the maps on my other runs and compare the same routes to last year.

I too had issues with GPS today. I’ve run my route loop hundreds of times. So I know exactly where the mile splits are. My first mile was off by about -0.05 miles and my third mile was off by about +0.16 miles. In all my 6.2 mile run was off by 0.11 miles.

I don't often pay attention to my map post run but I did today and Garmin thinks I ran across a lake 😇. I also have a vivoactive 4s so I'm guessing we're having the same issue. It sort of looked like my entire route was shifted east a bit?
Mine was also shifted to the east. Plus where it completely messed up a turn at an intersection where I apparently ran a squiggly hypotenuse through a house and 2 yards. 😂

and Garmin thinks I ran across a lake
V. impressive.

I also had a GPS Garmin problem yesterday. Garmin (I have a Fenix) thought I walked a mile in 11 minutes. Jokes. I can’t even run that fast.

I had really only gone like half a mile if that. I was walking a dog so it was extra slow.

Definitely something off with the satellites. I also had a couple runs with the map shifted to the east. I didn't realize other people were having an issue so recalibrated the maps on my phone and restarted my watch and the next one was fine. But that probably did nothing now that I see it was a wider problem.

Catching back up. Tomorrow is sure to be jam-packed full of things to do and places to be so I'm going to do my weekly wrap-up today.
Food goal: I didn't track a darn thing this week. Too busy, too many shift meals at work (which definitely were not things that would keep me in my calorie range.)

Runs:
Last time I checked in was Tuesday when my GPS (and a lot of others') was waaaaay off.

What ended up happening:
Monday: cross training I had my fist full 8hr shift and was exhausted.
Tuesday: off/rest, PT, 3mi easy.
Wednesday: 3mi easy Nope. My legs were not happy with me.
Thursday: 3mi easy. On the treadmill. Shook things up and walked for 30sec to a minute after I hit miles 1 and 2 and ran continuous the rest of the time. This went a lot better than I was planning. 14:14 pace (so it was actually an EASY run, and my average hr was 132 which is GREAT for me.
Friday: 3mi easy another day of pies and then PT. I was informed that I had massively overdone it the previous week when I ran 5mi on Thursday, worked, went to PT, and then did a 3mi walk pushing a stroller on Friday, and it was no wonder that my leg/foot stuff flared up as much as it had. BUT. I'm noticing a big decrease in the frequency of the irritation, so all the stuff they're having me do is clearly working.
Saturday: off from running. First day of working back-to-back shifts. My job is basically to make all the dough for the crusts and to (by hand) form it into the correct size/shape and feed it though the roller for the other person(s) working pies that day. My shoulders/forearms/wrists are going to amazing by the end of summer. We made around 432 pies. x 2 crusts per pie. And it was not enough pies. The owner asked if I would be willing and able to come in and work any hours on Sunday. Went home and then attended our local "minor league" baseball team's game. (It's a mid-west states wood bat league of college baseball players and they're quite good and it's VERY entertaining to watch. Not Savannah Banana entertaining, but fun all the same.)
Sunday: 4mi easy This is going to end up being 3mi once it cools off in deference to my tired body and the fact that we are running our local 5k in the morning. Worked a 4hr shift this morning where we made 192 pies, so I'm getting faster at my job and no longer slowing them down from what the baseline is for pies produced per hour.

So I got 3 of 4 runs in, and did not do the cross training.

Firecracker 5k:
Last year I ran this 5k in 33:46. I'm definitely not in the same shape I was last year, having basically been a month post-half-marathon then, so I'm not really sure what my goal is for this race or if I have a goal at all. Maybe 35:00? I might check it on Garmin and see what the pace-pro says about that since there's a large hill at the beginning of mile 2. It's also supposed to be over 70 degrees by the time the race starts tomorrow, so I may not have a time goal at all. Last year the T+D was 139 with 92% humidity. I'm hoping it's not like last year. The plan is to do a 1mi warmup (closer to the actual race start time this year and not finishing it 20+min before the race like I did last year) and then run the 5k. Probably going to break out the sparkle skirt and my Baymax "I am not fast" tank.

Garmin PacePro says that if my goal is 11:00 pace (34:03), that mile one is +0:06, mile two is +0:12, and mile three is -0:15.

Last edited:
😂😂😂😂 My gps is soooooooo terrible again tonight. If I hadn’t been running this exact route for a year and a half I would have felt terrible about myself tonight and the paces my watch said I was hitting. The start point is close (was showing the outbuilding in the backyard of the people 2 houses over) but that was where it ended. It has me running through the woods, crossing a river (TWICE!) and ending almost 0.75 mi from my actual house. Gray line is what I actually ran. 😂
EA888912-D430-4B09-BBB5-9178ADD71EF6.jpeg

😂😂😂😂 My gps is soooooooo terrible again tonight. If I hadn’t been running this exact route for a year and a half I would have felt terrible about myself tonight and the paces my watch said I was hitting. The start point is close (was showing the outbuilding in the backyard of the people 2 houses over) but that was where it ended. It has me running through the woods, crossing a river (TWICE!) and ending almost 0.75 mi from my actual house. Gray line is what I actually ran. 😂
View attachment 681486
my gps was terrible Sunday morning as well. I thought about warning you but got busy with my day. It's weird that it was fine for a few days and then wonky again.

Race Report:
Firecracker 5k

T+D 127 (70 degrees and 57 dew point, 62% humidity, 2% effect.)
Chip time 34:51 so 0:09 faster than my goal time (not that I was tracking it 😂) so I’m calling it a win.

11:00 first mile and then the stupid hill starts. I had set my intervals for 80/30 up guessing at my first mile pace and ended up being off by about and interval and a half for mile 2 when I was going to drop it down to 45/30 for the hill and then back to 80/30 for the remainder. So I did a bit of extra walking (and also my HR was up in the 180s 😬.) Mile 2 was 11:51.

The second half of mile 2 is a gradual downhill and then a 2-track/trail down and crossing the road and the race finishes on the rail-trail, so the 2nd half of the race is not paved. I pulled the plug on 80/30 and switched to my 60/30 intervals when my HR was insisting on staying really high. Managed to NOT roll my ankles (I had a close call when I passed someone on the shoulder of the road.)

Mile 3 was 11:15 and I did manage to chase down a few runners in front of me a few people I had yo-yo’ed with the whole race with my intervals.

Definitely not an all out effort, but definitely a harder run. It was pretty much lactate threshold on average.

So I got 3 of 4 runs in, and did not do the cross training.

Sounds like you could just about count the pie crust making as cross training! For real though, you might be able to incorporate some balance exercises in? For example, my trainer has me do things like stand on just my right leg going up, and just on my left going down in my building elevator.

Congrats on the 5K! We run about the same speed as far as I can tell (I may be a smidge slower), so it's interesting to see that your pace is about a minute faster than my 5K from late April. I ran the whole thing and you did intervals. I'm sure other factors come into play (my course was mostly flat), but still interesting to see it bear out in real life.

Last edited:
Sounds like you could just about count the pie crust making as cross training! For real though, you might be able to incorporate some balance exercises in? For example, my trainer has me do things like stand on just my right leg going up, and just on my left going down in my building elevator.

Congrats on the 5K! We run about the same speed as far as I can tell (I may be a smidge slower), so it's interesting to see that your pace is about a minute faster than my 5K from late April. I ran the whole thing and you did intervals. I'm sure other factors come into play (my course was mostly flat), but still interesting to see it bear out in real life.
Yes!!! I’m going to check in with you in around November to see what you’re doing for intervals/paces so I can work on being in the same ballpark for MW. 😉

I am absolutely faster when I use intervals, and I don’t feel like I’m dying as soon either. I will say that going from 45 or 60/30s to 80/30s today felt like a huge change and if I didn’t have race day adrenaline, I would have dropped the run segment to a shorter duration a lot sooner than I did.

We made around 432 pies. x 2 crusts per pie. And it was not enough pies.
we made 192 pies, so I'm getting faster at my job and no longer slowing them down from what the baseline is for pies produced per hour.
😲that's a lot of pies! what's the baseline?
and am impressed at your willpower. working in a bakery would very much be not good for my diet/health

😲that's a lot of pies! what's the baseline?
and am impressed at your willpower. working in a bakery would very much be not good for my diet/health
Baseline is basically 24 pies per hour per person. It’s usually 2 of us, sometimes 3. One of the guys has been making pies for like 20 years, and he said when he was in his 20s they had a crew of 3 that could do 144 pies per hour. Which just absolutely baffles me. Baking is someone else’s job, so there’s pretty much no risk of me sneaking pie all day long 😂

This week has been...

well.

it's been a week.
The restaurant was closed on Monday for the 4th (it's their 100th year in business so they were the grand marshals for the parade) so I had the day off, which meant that I got to run the 5k race. Did that.

Tuesday is one of my rest days, so no problem there either! Half of the kids had their annual physicals (where I asked the doc about getting their iron levels tested since mine were so low and because of some dietary stuff, coupled with DS1's overall lack of improvement during XC last year) and the doctor politely blew me off. "Well if their times are getting *worse* and their not super tired all the time, it shouldn't be that. Their heart rates sound great, so they are unlikely to have low iron." I'm sorry. WHAT? You can now tell someone's ferratin levels via stethoscope? Well that's a new one to me. In the end, he did write them orders for the blood testing but said that the insurance may or may not cover it. Which means I'm going to have to call the lab. Yes. CALL.

Wednesday (3 miles) was a work day. And during lunch DH texted me to ask if I could please run his baseball practice for him so he could finish a job. Oh and also the assistant coach's kid has Covid, so it'll just be me. This means that I worked, came home, changed my clothes and shoved food into my face and then turned right back around and went to baseball. And got home at about 8. So that was an almost 13hr day on my feet. So I did NOT do my run.

Thursday (3 miles) work on Thursdays. But it was hot basically all day, and no assistant coach means that I am now the assistant coach, so instead of doing my run in the evening, I coached first base and kept 10 and 11 year old boys in line. And watched a parent from the other team talk trash to my husband and say things like "Yeah, you better walk away. You wanna fight? You're probably paying this ump." Over local, small-town, county-level rec-league baseball. For 10 and 11 year olds. Good times.

Friday (3 miles) work again, and then PT. I was instructed that "Next week you need to run more so we can make sure what we're doing is helping" because oh look I didn't run all week. The kitchen has been super hot this week, and I've been exhausted when I get done. On Friday it felt SO GOOD to go outside after work...like the temperature was great. Except it was over 80 out.

Saturday (rest day) looked a lot like Friday. Hot. 700-ish pie crusts, and my shoulders/arms/wrists were absolutely shot by the time I got done working. Allegedly things will slow down on the pie-front starting next week. We'll see if that happens. Then we watched the new Dr Strange movie. I'd seen some less-than-impressed reviews about it, but I know that Marvel films can be polarizing, so I usually don't get too wrapped up in them. But wow were all the things they were saying pretty much right on the money. I feel like it could have been so much better.

Sunday (today) is supposed to be 5 miles, and I'm probably going to force myself to do it. And THEN, I'm going to change which day my training plan weeks "start" on so that I run on my days off of work. I had thought that I would do better by keeping my rest days set to my days off of work so I could have a full and complete day OFF, but what I'm finding is that I'm so tired by the end of the work day, and there's still so many other things that I have to do, that it's really hard to work and then go run. So there's definitely an adjustment to be made there.

Completely separate post because I need something else to think about. And I need more experienced people to weigh in on this costume planning.

Figment costume for the half marathon:
-Lavender dottie skirt (have it)
-orange running shoes (have them)
-headband with small horns (in my etsy cart)

dragon athletic tank off etsy?
yellow tank or tee that says "Figment" on the front in red instead of the dragon tank?

dragon athletic tank with yellow crop top over it? (This is appealing to me the most, but it also COSTS the most, and I'm not sure if I'll want to wear TWO shirts for 13 miles.)

Wings are also a consideration, but for 13 miles I think they'll have to be REALLY small, and pinned to my top to they don't flap around at all.

dragon athletic tank off etsy?
yellow tank or tee that says "Figment" on the front in red instead of the dragon tank?

dragon athletic tank with yellow crop top over it? (This is appealing to me the most, but it also COSTS the most, and I'm not sure if I'll want to wear TWO shirts for 13 miles.)

Wings are also a consideration, but for 13 miles I think they'll have to be REALLY small, and pinned to my top to they don't flap around at all.

I would go with the yellow tank or Figment shirt rather than layering two tops for that length of race.

As for wings, I wore big kid size lit ones for the Tink 10K and Half and they really weren't bad. A few considerations:
* Keep them within the footprint of your back if possible. IF you go bigger, go vertical rather than horizontal so you don't have to worry about them hitting anyone. Also make sure the bottoms can easily be moved out of your way for any potty stops.
* Make sure they have a good sturdy frame (like a wire) and/or pin the top tips to your shirt so they don't flop around on you.
* Test the attachment to make sure it stays in place and is comfortable. My wings had backpack style straps that rubbed in to my shoulders, so I ended up taking those off and building them into my top more. Definitely do long test runs early enough to make changes and test again if you need!

5mi LR done and wow did I need it! I felt really really good surprisingly. I didn’t really hit my pace 🤷🏻‍♀️ and used 60/30 intervals which felt very comfortable. Not too long of a run, but not too short either. Avg pace was 12:37 which was too fast overall by about 20sec (based on last year’s pace chart.)
I flew on the downhill section (mile 2) and ran it in 11:32. Coming back the uphill didn’t get me too badly either as I did that in 13:27. But that mile get an asterisk because my calf started cramping on it so I stopped at the top and paused my watch to stretch it for 3 minutes. Other than that it was fine during the run, which is great since I absolutely wasn’t able to get up it this spring without a fair amount of discomfort and even pain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter