Epcot or Animal Kingdom for solo afternoon?

SusanDK

DIS Veteran
I have a free afternoon coming up so I'm thinking of doing WDW on my own for the first time ever. It will be a Sunday and likely quite warm, it will probably be 5-6 hours, from about noon to 5-6 pm (yes, hottest part of the day!). I'm an AP holder, so have free parking and don't need to worry about packing in a lot of value, just looking for a pleasant experience, a nice walk, light bite to eat, a bit of entertainment and maybe a ride or two. I assume there are no solo rider lines right now?

Do you think Epcot or Animal Kingdom would be most enjoyable on my own? I've ruled out HS because it is so crowded right now, especially weekends. And same with MK, not to mention the long trek to get there from TTC into the park.

I'd probably look for someplace to have lunch - maybe one of the lounges to get a drink and small tapas type plate, inside with A/C or a shaded area outdoors if not too hot.

What say the experts?

Well, Epcot has F&W so you can graze at the booths and shop around WS, maybe ride Soarin and wander through the Living Seas. On the other hand, AK has Nomad Lounge which does have inside seating and outside seating under a roof so shade. The have a walk up sort of reservation thing going where you can get on a wait list (I think you can do it in MDE after it opens as well). You can ride Safari and walk the trails and maybe walk the trail around the tree of life. There isn't a whole lot of shade at either park except when you go inside to shop. Personally, I'd probably start at AK since it closes earlier and maybe hop over to Epcot a little later and graze at the booths.

Both suggestions are ideal. I agree Epcot might make more sense on such a hot day and I do love Soarin' and the Living Seas areas. Funny you mentioned Nomad Lounge which has been on my "to do" list for ages and I've never been there. So since DH and I go most frequently to Epcot and it has been ages since I've been to AK, I've tentatively made a park reservation for AK. It sounds like it would be a nice place to walk the trails (see the tigers?) and maybe do Safari and see the bird show. And try Nomad Lounge!

I've been to both many times solo, and I'd choose Animal Kingdom. If you like watching animals, and enjoy talking with the CMs who care for them (or at least are at the attraction), you could spend hours on the 2 animal trails (I do!) However, if you enjoy shopping more, Epcot is for you. Exploring every gift shop in every different country-I really enjoyed that also. But it depends on which sounds more appealing to you.

Thanks for the input! I'm not a shopper at all - never go in the gift shops. Epcot for me would be a couple of rides (Soarin', Nemo), viewing the aquariums at Living Seas, and watching the entertainment in Canada, UK, etc. And getting my steps in!

AK sounds like it would be ideal for my first solo day since we go to Epcot a lot. So unless the weather remains freakishly hot like today, which looks possible, I think it will be AK.

On the Pangani Forest Trail, be sure to spend some time watching the bachelor gorillas (after the wooden bridge on the left). They remind me so much of the adolescents I used to teach in middle school in their behavior.

AK is leafy and green and cool and refreshing on a hot afternoon. Kali River Rapids will keep you wet & cool. Epcot and don't forget the Nations at World Showcase have lots of air conditioned inside stuff to do and see. The walking around on a hot afternoon however is sun~alicious. Cool escapes ~ Norway pavilion and Le Celier for lunch in Canada ... or beer fest it in Germany.

I'd also start at AK. Safari, the trails (don't forget the one around Tree of Life and even take your time upon entry --there's so much there that most walk right by), poke around in shops, Nomad Lounge is a definite must, there are also quite a few stands with unique food offerings. If you have a Landry's card, a walk-up at Yak & Yeti might be an option too. As loves to dive said, can always hop over to EPCOT later to try F&W -- weekend crowds should be easing by Sunday afternoon. I love World Showcase but still feel like a key element is missing without the international cast members and limited availability of and inventory in the stores that are open.

I've spent many solo days in all parks- I'd recommend Animal Kingdom. They have the Nomad Lounge, plus rides that accommodate more than 2 people (Dinosaur, Safaris) which to me, makes it feel less awkward being alone. Either way, going solo is nice and relaxing to do whatever you'd like and just enjoy the atmosphere.

Thanks, everyone, for the input. Yesterday was the day and I went to Animal Kingdom. It was hot, but bearable. It felt like the crowds in the park were mid-range but TouringPlans claimed it was a category 1 crowd level! And that felt right based on waiting times.

I watched the bird show and was able to sit in the back section with plenty of empty space around me. Then went for a walk on the Maharaja Jungle Trek hoping to see a tiger. Unfortunately, none were visible. I think I took a wrong turn because I reached a dead end and then was back at the same place I entered. So either that is a very short trail or I missed a lot of it, lol!

I then did Kilimanjaro Safari that had a 5 minute wait time posted, but didn't even feel that long. I've waited much longer in fast pass queues in the past. I had a row to myself and it was the last row, so no one breathing on me from behind (yay!). The driver was excellent and kept a constant monologue going of interesting facts. I wonder if they are allowed to put together their own scripts because I've been many times, and some guides are better than others. This one did not have any corny jokes, just lots of interesting information about the wildlife. Also nice this time was a lot of space between the vehicles, so that I never saw a vehicle behind us and only could see a vehicle up ahead at a few key spots. Lots of animals were out, including the baby hippo with mother and many of the giraffes and zebras very close.

I thought of doing the train after that, but decided to head over to Pandora before seeing if I could get a spot at Nomad Lounge for a break. The wait time for Na'vi River Journey was showing as 35 minutes and I'd never been on it, so decided to go ahead because I could listen to my audiobook while in the queue. The true wait time was only 17 minutes - the attraction was a pleasant and enjoyable respite from the heat but it isn't one I'd wait more than 15-20 minutes max. for in future. For me it's a bit like the Nemo ride at Epcot - very sweet and a nice break if it is close to a walk-on, but not worth a long queue.

FOP was a 45 minute wait at that point and I was tired, so decided to check on waiting times at Nomad Lounge - 5 minutes. As soon as I put in a wait list request, I was notified that my table was ready so I headed over. I had hoped to sit inside for the A/C but it would have to be at the bar, so I accepted the outdoor table because I wanted to relax. Luckily, in the shade and with the overhead fans and an occasional breeze, it was quite lovely. I enjoyed a bread service and a Snow Leopard Salvation which is one of the best cocktails I've had. I was mixed between trying that and a Kungaloosh because I don't like sugary cocktails, but the Snow Leopard sounded like the least sugary and most refreshing of those on the menu, and it was. While I was there, Donald and Daisy Duck came floating by on the river.

When I finished, the stated wait time for FOP was 20 minutes, so I decided to head back over there. It was my first time ever on FOP (yes, I know) because I had never managed to snag a fast pass on any previous visit and we are not willing to do 45+ minutes in any queue for a ride (it was usually much more than that on past visits). I was glad I did it on my own because I don't think my husband would like it - at least I won't be the one to suggest he can handle it! I enjoyed it, but Soarin' is still my favorite ride in all of WDW.

That wrapped up my day - I was exhausted after nearly 12,000 steps in the heat over the ca. 5 hours I was there. But I wouldn't hesitate to go again because there were plenty of little paths and corners I didn't explore. I was still surprised at the crowd level only being considered a 1 because I would not enjoy being there if it was much more crowded than it was.

I have another free Sunday coming up so might do Epcot next, or I might just go to one of the resorts and hang out, take a walk, and go to a lounge (if they'll let me in!).

I love to get a snack and a drink at EPCOT and to watch the entertainment at the American Pavilion stage. Voices of Liberty and Mariachi Cobre are the best of Disney! Enjoy!

I have another free Sunday coming up so might do Epcot next, or I might just go to one of the resorts and hang out, take a walk, and go to a lounge (if they'll let me in!).

First, thanks for taking the time to write up your wonderful AK visit. Your words took me back there. How exciting you got your 1st ride on FoP!

As to whether your next visit is to Epcot or a resort, why not combine the two. Wander around Epcot for a bit and then out the World Showcase entrance over to the Boardwalk or the BC/YC. Relax a bit at one of the resorts and then wander back to Epcot.
Wishing you a pixiedust: visit!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter