EE Help!

It's definitely more intense than the two you mentioned and the going backward part takes getting used to, imo, but it's not too bad. It's really fun, especially in the dark at night! There's only one coaster at Disney that I don't really like that much and it's Rock n Roller Coaster. I always fight with myself about whether I want to do it or not.

I'm not a huge coaster fan, but really like 7D and BTMR. I'd suggest you sit towards the from on EE. At the top of the hills the front slows to let the back of the train catch up. We road EE 4 times. The one time we road in the back was much faster. Had we road in the back 1st I don't think I'd have ridden it again.

The train cars are connected, so the front car goes the exact same speed as the rear. There can be different perceptions, as in the front, when cresting a hill you have to wait for the balance of the weight of the train to crest the hill, so you actually start descending the hill slowly until the weight shifts. In the back of the train, once the weight balance shifts, it picks up speed before the top of the crest, so you get the sensation of being yanked up or "sling shot". But in reality, the speeds are identical.

You will hurt your neck if you try to do this. You're much better off facing forward and closing your eyes when it's moving backwards.

No you won't (presuming you don't have pre-existing neck issues). As I mentioned, I've done it (more than once actually), and so have my kids. No issues at all. It's actually kind of cool. Can't see a lot, but it's a different sensation.

No you won't (presuming you don't have pre-existing neck issues). As I mentioned, I've done it (more than once actually), and so have my kids. No issues at all. It's actually kind of cool. Can't see a lot, but it's a different sensation.

One of the adults in my group did it and her neck was sore the rest of the day and into the next one. :confused3 It's great you didn't hurt your neck, but it can happen.

SPOILER ALERT

Video shot in low light so you can see the tracks inside the mountain where normally dark.

You can see the track itself is fairly benign and doesn't even come close to anything going highly banked or upside down.

Okay @CAS239 .. my "coaster fanatic/way too much useless info in the head" kid came in and I asked.

He said:
- that while it goes the direction of a helix
- he would not consider it a helix because the track is not banked enough for standard helix
- that spiral is just a description of the path, not an actual element
- backward/downhill are correct but it's an awkward part of track to force into a standard element
- laughed at me that we were trying to make this part some kind of big element ...
... he said "you are rolling down the track backwards in the dark, no more"

He gave me this picture, top right cut out is what we are talking about ...

From WDWTHEMEPARKS

r-1410221062-ExpeditionEverest2.jpg

Last edited:
There is a corkscrew inside the mountain that produces enough G-force that it can feel like you go upside down, but that's the most intense part, to me. I'm not really a coaster person but managed to ride it 4 times with DD11. We love BTM and Space Mountain, Mine Train is fun too.

So I'm not the only one where it kind of feels like an inversion! I like it, but it has an odd sensation because I know for a fact we're not upside down.

So I'm not the only one where it kind of feels like an inversion! I like it, but it has an odd sensation because I know for a fact we're not upside down.

The first time my kids were all tall enough to ride it, they all swore we went upside down, even through I assured them we didn't. There is definitely something about the backwards banked turn that induces that feeling in some people.

And just to add to what many have said, we all love this ride, including my wife, who is not a big coaster fan. The smoothness goes a long way on this one.

He said:
- that while it goes the direction of a helix
- he would not consider it a helix because the track is not banked enough for standard helix
- that spiral is just a description of the path, not an actual element
- backward/downhill are correct but it's a awkward part of track to force into a standard element
- laughed at me that we were trying to make this part some kind of big element ...
... he said "you are rolling down the track backwards in the dark, no more"

Wow - if he applies that part of his brain to his school work, he is going places!

Agree it doesn't go upside down.

AND

agree it can cause odd feelings in some people. I had the sensation like I might pass out during the backwards portion. I was glad it ended when it did. Might try turning around next time.

The first time my kids were all tall enough to ride it, they all swore we went upside down, even through I assured them we didn't. There is definitely something about the backwards banked turn that induces that feeling in some people.

And just to add to what many have said, we all love this ride, including my wife, who is not a big coaster fan. The smoothness goes a long way on this one.

Agree it doesn't go upside down. AND agree it can cause odd feelings in some people. I had the sensation like I might pass out during the backwards portion. I was glad it ended when it did. Might try turning around next time.

I think it's the backwards in the dark at a decent speed and a small g-force that tricks us into thinking it is more than just traveling on a track. I would imagine if it were lit or going forward you would have a different perspective.

I always compare it to when I was little the local park had a thing I called "the red gate". Basically a gate with a foot board that was attached on one side to a pole. Someone would run and make you spin and it would do that same kind of odd sensation, exactly like Everest. I flash back every ride. Different variations but similar to this.

11614676926_13e9f5d522_m.jpg

Wow - if he applies that part of his brain to his school work, he is going places!

I hope. We like to go to local trivia, almost always first place but rarely do we ever walk out with no place (1st-3rd) ... and it's not us. He actually goes sometimes alone and still wins.

the backwards motion, at least for me, was too intense that i felt like i was going to lose my meal.

Any tips to handle the backward part? Thank you!

Breathe out slowly and firmly. That's how I handle all uncomfortable coaster sensations. And really it's like screaming; I think there's a reason why we scream on bigger rides like that. Helps our bodies handle it.

It really doesn't feel like you go upside down at all, but the motion up after being pulled down makes it feel like you're about to ascend a loop.

I feel like we go upside down. Many other people feel that it goes upside down. It might feel to the OP like she's going upside down. Best to let her know "you do NOT go upside down" ahead of time. :)

And the CM's description of a "modified corkscrew" doesn't sound THAT wrong to me. It's like a corkscrew on its side, if you're going in circles like that. :)

You will hurt your neck if you try to do this. You're much better off facing forward and closing your eyes when it's moving backwards.

I know that I would hurt my neck if I tried it!

Breathe out slowly and firmly. That's how I handle all uncomfortable coaster sensations. And really it's like screaming; I think there's a reason why we scream on bigger rides like that. Helps our bodies handle it.

This works very well. Another tip I gave the kids was to tense your stomach muscles like you are doing a crunch. I've been doing that for years, and it helps so much, and my kids swear by it.

I dunno, none of the roller coasters at Disney are what I'd consider "intense' at all. The backwards part reminds me of backing down a sloped driveway with a fast driver. It feels very smooth and purposeful. The only other comparison I have is a roller coaster I once rode at Six Flags St Louis called Mr. Freeze. No idea if it's still there, but I did not like the backwards descent on that one because it felt like getting yanked by the back of your neck. Now that's uncomfortable.

Coming from someone who get's motion sickness farily easily, this ride isnt bad!. If you like big thunder and 7D you will have a great (But faster/intense) time.

It's definitely more intense than the two you mentioned and the going backward part takes getting used to, imo, but it's not too bad. It's really fun, especially in the dark at night! There's only one coaster at Disney that I don't really like that much and it's Rock n Roller Coaster. I always fight with myself about whether I want to do it or not.
Agreed!

I love BTMRR and 7DMT but like others have said, it's way more intense than those. I am not a coaster person but love all the MK coasters. I can do EE but I limit it to once a trip, it's about all I can handle.
The backwards part is 10 seconds (I count, it's what gets me through ) and the big drop after the yeti is pretty intense. Those two things aside it is very smooth and the other drops are similar to the MK coasters.
You should try it once just so you know for yourself. Of course I took that advice for RNR coaster and my knuckles were literally white at the end...never again

Way to intense for me, my DD loves it, she started riding it when she was 12. I have rode 3x and no more for me! I am a chicken so take my review lightly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter