Eat at home 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have followed this board forever, rarely post. I actually do a good job of menu planning but need to drastically cut our food expenses as we have a contract on a new house and expenses related to that are high. We eat out 1-2 a weekend and with 3 kids and husband, just pizza or mexican out costs us $50 with tip. One of the reasons is that we usually don't buy soda at home and it is considered a treat when we eat out. But with 5 of us that is over $10 at 2.29 a coke. Crazy! Need to break this habit and buy a $1.29 bottle of root beer for home instead and let that be the treat one night. I currently spend over $900 a month for toiletries and groceries. I admire everyone that is keeping such low food budgets. Our grocery budget is so high because I love to cook, buy a good bit organic, and pack lunches for the kids. My goal is to cut this down to $500.00 for January and only eat out 1-2 times in January. I know that is still a high budget for many but for us it will be a big change. Will post my spending on the January no buy thread.

So for this week:
Tonight- Fish sticks, mashed potatoes, green beans
Wednesday- French toast, sausage links and cantelope
Thursday- soup/sandwiches, fruit
Friday-Fettucine Alfredo, salad, fresh fruit, and garlic bread(first time making this)
Saturday- attending New Years Eve party for the whole family-bringing a dip
Sunday- Grilled Chicken taco's, Amy's refried beans(amazing if you have not tried them) and rice.
Monday- Pioneer Woman's sloppy joes, fries, corn, and cantelope
Tuesday-grocery shopping. will post later.::MinnieMo

Have followed this board forever, rarely post. I actually do a good job of menu planning but need to drastically cut our food expenses as we have a contract on a new house and expenses related to that are high. We eat out 1-2 a weekend and with 3 kids and husband, just pizza or mexican out costs us $50 with tip. One of the reasons is that we usually don't buy soda at home and it is considered a treat when we eat out. But with 5 of us that is over $10 at 2.29 a coke. Crazy! Need to break this habit and buy a $1.29 bottle of root beer for home instead and let that be the treat one night. I currently spend over $900 a month for toiletries and groceries. I admire everyone that is keeping such low food budgets. Our grocery budget is so high because I love to cook, buy a good bit organic, and pack lunches for the kids. My goal is to cut this down to $500.00 for January and only eat out 1-2 times in January. I know that is still a high budget for many but for us it will be a big change. Will post my spending on the January no buy thread.

So for this week:
Tonight- Fish sticks, mashed potatoes, green beans
Wednesday- French toast, sausage links and cantelope
Thursday- soup/sandwiches, fruit
Friday-Fettucine Alfredo, salad, fresh fruit, and garlic bread(first time making this)
Saturday- attending New Years Eve party for the whole family-bringing a dip
Sunday- Grilled Chicken taco's, Amy's refried beans(amazing if you have not tried them) and rice.
Monday- Pioneer Woman's sloppy joes, fries, corn, and cantelope
Tuesday-grocery shopping. will post later.::MinnieMo

:welcome: aboard! I ope you reach your goals for January!:thumbsup2

I am making tamales tomorrow. I have to go get more corn husks tomorrow morning though. I made the meat tonight. I hope to make about 6 or 7 dozen. It sounds like a lot but they really don't last long lol I froze our ham leftovers and may make a soup next week.

I admit it was a dash n run kinda shopping tonight! its a "short" grocery week other than party food so not a lot of planning...

Tonight(Tuesday) we had left over Prime-Rib still yummy!
Wednesday- My son is going with his uncle to WWE Wrestling so the hubby and I are sneaking a date night in!! No cooking for me :goodvibes
Thursday- Taco Night!
Friday-Make your own Stromboli, we all like different things inside so tonight you get to pick your favorite and have your own!
Saturday- Smoked Turkey and lots of party sides! Salads, Potatoes, Dips Cheese Balls! Happy New Year!!
Sunday- Pork, Sauerkraut, Kielbasa, Hot Dogs, Mashed Potatos

Happy New Year :goodvibes

Going to join this thread, I think it'll help me ;)

Monday- Brats and tator tots
Tuesday- spaghetti, meatballs and garlic bread
Wednesday- ham, corn casserole, scalloped potatoes, mac&cheese, green bean casserole and rolls
Thursday- leftovers from Wed for those who want it, pizza for the others
Friday- grilled ham/cheese, fries, fruit
Saturday- unsure but usually snacky foods for NYE
Sunday- turkey and all the fixings
This was a fairly cheap grocery shopping week for me. DH's employer had given out Honey Baked Ham gift cards a few weeks ago. So that paid for the ham and turkey (well, most of it anyway).

Hi Everyone, Hope you all had a great Christmas (we did) I am here to get back on track and get the goodies out of the house and start eating heathier again Jan 1st! (WW Points plus but I can't afford the mtgs so I'll do it myself)

I'm with you on this one-doing wwpoints but not affording the meetings:)
I have finally figured out what I'm cooking from monday 2nd
M-chicken curry with rice
T-Irish stew
W-soup and spud
T-spag bolognese
F-fish and chips
S-ulster fry
S-roast gammon dinner

Now I just need to figure out what we're having between now and next monday lol

I'm with you on this one-doing wwpoints but not affording the meetings:)
I have finally figured out what I'm cooking from monday 2nd
M-chicken curry with rice
T-Irish stew
W-soup and spud
T-spag bolognese
F-fish and chips
S-ulster fry
S-roast gammon dinner

Now I just need to figure out what we're having between now and next monday lol

Try www.aimeesadventures.com. There are a ton of free recipes on there. I make the meatloaf muffins all the time.

Lunches I like to make pita pocket pizzas. Take a whole wheat pita pocket half. Add a TBSP of pizza sauce and load it with all the veggies you want and a pinch of cheese. Bake at 350 for 5 minutes. 2 PTS.

Also having Progresso soups on hand is a good go to. I portion out meals too and freeze them so I can just pull them out and make it for lunch.

Going to join this thread, I think it'll help me ;)

Monday- Brats and tator tots
Tuesday- spaghetti, meatballs and garlic bread
Wednesday- ham, corn casserole, scalloped potatoes, mac&cheese, green bean casserole and rolls
Thursday- leftovers from Wed for those who want it, pizza for the others
Friday- grilled ham/cheese, fries, fruit
Saturday- unsure but usually snacky foods for NYE
Sunday- turkey and all the fixings
This was a fairly cheap grocery shopping week for me. DH's employer had given out Honey Baked Ham gift cards a few weeks ago. So that paid for the ham and turkey (well, most of it anyway).

Welcome aboard!:dance3:

Thanks so much for this:) Will definitely check out that site. Funny I do a tortilla pizza much like your pitta one for 3pts and its really tasty! Will give your pitta one a go on friday(that way it will kind of feel like a takeaway treat and save on money too:thumbsup2
Try www.aimeesadventures.com. There are a ton of free recipes on there. I make the meatloaf muffins all the time.

Lunches I like to make pita pocket pizzas. Take a whole wheat pita pocket half. Add a TBSP of pizza sauce and load it with all the veggies you want and a pinch of cheese. Bake at 350 for 5 minutes. 2 PTS.

Also having Progresso soups on hand is a good go to. I portion out meals too and freeze them so I can just pull them out and make it for lunch.

Tonight is the chicken primavera pasta, last night dh brought home some pre made crabcakes from walmart, so we had those with roasted broccoli & cauliflower & Amy's Mac & cheese. I'm glad I've been using up food from the freezers & pantry, tomorrow I'm taking dd12 to visit her cousin, 3 hours to the city but I'm taking a cooler & making a run to Trader Joe's! Is it strange that I get way more exxcited about that than shopping for clothes?:rotfl:

I just wanted to let everyone know that cooking dot com has two Le Creuset bakers on sale for $35.95

This is about half price. I really like this stoneware.

Mixing up this week's menu a bit.

Tonight:
Red Beans and Rice with Ground Venison
Roasted Corn

I have followed the original thread since the beginning and I probably posted on it once or twice along the way, but mostly I just lurked. I'd like to get better with eating at home though, and save some money for our vacation this summer. We do fairly well eating at home, but not as well as I'd like.

The past two weeks have been really hard. I have pnemonia and really bad asthma along with it, so we've been eating very low fuss meals and a few take out meals. But mostly eating in. My kids and husband are all sick too, although not as bad, so no one has been up to preparing anything too fancy. We've been all about mac and cheese, canned soup, and quick homemade pizza. I'm finally starting to feel better though so I'm hoping to get back in the swing of things.

Yesterday was Shepherds Pie.
Tonight will probably be ham chowder, with leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

The rest of the week in no real order:
Tacos
Stir fry with pork loin and mixed veggies
Ham Chowder again (lots of ham in the freezer)
Spaghetti

I'll probably make some gluten free sweet corn muffins to go with the chowder both days (supposing I feel up to it). I'm planning next weeks menu too. I'm thinking lots of soups because it has been SO cold here in MI lately. Plus I love how easy it is to throw together in my crock pot for nights when the girls have gymnastics! I love walking in the door to find dinner waiting for me!

Thanks for the inspiration!

We just went to our Hispanic local grocery store and my DH got me a late Xmas present, a tamale steamer! Last year I used our turkey fryer basket and covered it with tin foil. This will save me some frustration and hopefully make the process quicker!
This is my blog from last year so you can see how I do it:) I will be posting more today.
http://tinkmomfoodie-foodobsession.blogspot.com/2011/04/tamale-and-double-double-coupon-day.html

Thank you so much for this!!! I love tamales but can't find them made around here. Your recipe and directions are so easy looking. I am going to give it a try! :cool1:

Tonight I am going out to dinner and to the movies with my Aunt and Cousin, it is part of our Christmas gift.

Mom is going to have soup.

Tonight is Poor Man's Steak with Garlicky Gravy, Skinny Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes, and Roasted Green Beans.

I have followed the original thread since the beginning and I probably posted on it once or twice along the way, but mostly I just lurked. I'd like to get better with eating at home though, and save some money for our vacation this summer. We do fairly well eating at home, but not as well as I'd like.

The past two weeks have been really hard. I have pnemonia and really bad asthma along with it, so we've been eating very low fuss meals and a few take out meals. But mostly eating in. My kids and husband are all sick too, although not as bad, so no one has been up to preparing anything too fancy. We've been all about mac and cheese, canned soup, and quick homemade pizza. I'm finally starting to feel better though so I'm hoping to get back in the swing of things.

Yesterday was Shepherds Pie.
Tonight will probably be ham chowder, with leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

The rest of the week in no real order:
Tacos
Stir fry with pork loin and mixed veggies
Ham Chowder again (lots of ham in the freezer)
Spaghetti

I'll probably make some gluten free sweet corn muffins to go with the chowder both days (supposing I feel up to it). I'm planning next weeks menu too. I'm thinking lots of soups because it has been SO cold here in MI lately. Plus I love
how easy it is to throw together in my crock pot for nights when the girls have gymnastics! I love walking in the door to find dinner waiting for me!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Welcome aboard! I hope you all feel better real soon!:grouphug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter