DVC (WDW) rankings

10) VWL (dark & remote; we love the FW cabins tho as they are more of an "experience")
9) OKW (1bdrms+ are nice, but feel of one foot in the grave)
8) PVB (no 1 bdrms, can be long outdoor walk to lobby/activities, dark)
7) VGF (nice décor, but cheapened by being away from main building)
6) BCV (noisy, not a fan of the chaotic SAB)
5) AKV (love Club Level, good restaurants, fascinating for a few night stay)
4) SSR (beautiful & serene grounds, Turf Club, walk to DS)
3) BLT (easy MK access, restaurants, but decor is getting worn)
2) RIV (stunning, large rooms, Skyliner, but needs more nighttime activities)
1) BWV (views, walk/boat/Skyliner/ bus transportation, so much to do outside of parks, Community Hall, restaurants, year-round festive feel)

Last edited:
With kids:
10: OKW/Treehouses
9: SSR
8: AKL
7: RIV
6: BCV
5: BWV
4: GFV
3: Poly
2: CCV/BRV
1: BLT

Adults Only
10: OKW/Treehouses
9. GFV
8. RIV
7. BRV/CCV
6. BLT
5. Poly
4. BWV
3. AKL
2. SSR
1. BCV
Thank you for the list and good break down. I am wondering thoughts behind akv dropping so far for with kids? Is it related to travel to parks or something else?

This January will be first trip with kid old enough to express whether he likes or not (3yr). Last time we went he was 1 and bus travel was big negative when having to do strollers and such but I was thinking with pool and savanah he would love akv (thought biggest negative would be he wouldn’t want to leave to go parks lol). Any insight on what I may be missing and what to expect would be great!

Having only visited a couple resorts, I don't think I I can rank yet. And I will only be adding one new resort on our next visit!
Maybe someday I could consider the logistics of a West coaster like me doing the Unplugged Old 7 resorts in 7 days. I am a backpacker, so I am used to living out of my pack. I would not even be taking the tent and sleeping bag - just food and minimal clothes.
Convincing my family to join in or let me go solo might be the hard part.

I once did 5 different studios over a 2 week period when I decided to add a week onto a 2 resort split stay last minute.

I drive to WDW so basically didn't bring much other than what I needed into my rooms, and I was solo so no one else to worry about.

Location is important at WDW and I rank it higher than room quality, but everyone has their own opinions.

So, location being my inspiration my list starts with:

1. BWV - between 2 parks with the best possible view.
2. BCV - as above but nicked because the view is not quite as dramatic.
3. VGF - again location to MK now that the walkway is open - nice rooms.
4. BLT - location to MK, and gorgeous Lake views.
5. AK Lodge Villas - love the Lodge, bored with Kidani
6. Poly - location decent - rooms nice
7. SSR - close to DS -ok
8. VWL/CCV/BRV - ok
9. OKW - ok
10. Riviera - haven't stayed yet

The first 6 will be my first choices.
7,8,9 - will book if nothing else left
10. Will try it out but nothing I've seen so far makes it that interesting. In my spare time, I can dine there and try out the foods in the restaurants. The view? Not much to look at. The model rooms were nice but not nice enough to make me give up my walk from BWV or BCV or even an MK resort. If I wanted a resort stay with a nice room I'd do 4 Seasons.

The room itself can be recreated anywhere. The setting/location not so much as WDW parks only have so many options to allow creation of resorts within walking distance.

Last edited:
Thank you for the list and good break down. I am wondering thoughts behind akv dropping so far for with kids? Is it related to travel to parks or something else?

This January will be first trip with kid old enough to express whether he likes or not (3yr). Last time we went he was 1 and bus travel was big negative when having to do strollers and such but I was thinking with pool and savanah he would love akv (thought biggest negative would be he wouldn’t want to leave to go parks lol). Any insight on what I may be missing and what to expect would be great!

Correct, for the kids list AK drops due to the bus travel. Our youngest would always fall asleep on the buses so I guess she would get a nap but then there's the part when she'd wakes. LOL!

AKV has so much to offer. Animals, pools, restaurants. We were just there in beginning of Dec. Yes, nobody likes the buses, but this is a destination in itself. Especially with kids. With MK being the farthest, our bus left around 7a and we were in park for rope drop and already rode Mine Train by 7:40.

I think it's just the perception of the buses. When leaving a park they can be crowded and you end up standing but oh well. And once you're past the stroller stage it really isn't that different than any other transportation. I always have thought it's more because it isn't as unique. If timed, because AKL/AKV has it's own dedicated buses, it's often as fast or even faster to get to parks than other locations and modes of transport. AKV is high up for us with kids - actually with all of us both young and old(er). ;)

Correct, for the kids list AK drops due to the bus travel. Our youngest would always fall asleep on the buses so I guess she would get a nap but then there's the part when she'd wakes. LOL!
I'm also curious about your ranking differential of VGF with and without kids. I'd think that it's one of the best adult-themed resorts on property, but you ding it to second to last.

I'm also curious about your ranking differential of VGF with and without kids. I'd think that it's one of the best adult-themed resorts on property, but you ding it to second to last.

We prefer BLT over numbers 7 to 10 based on length of walk to MK, which gives access to boats for River Grill or Tambu Lounge, along with access to monorail. We feel the monorail access of VGF is an inconvenient long walk away and VGF/BRV/CCV reflect our bus experiences. BLT also has poor bus experience but the monorail and access to boats to Transportation center push it up our list.

We just came back from WDW last week and stayed at CC. While there, we visited every single open house available (including OKW, which just opened up). This was our first trip as DVC owners. We have previously visited most of these resorts, but was pretty rushed during those times since we wanted to do everything at the parks. This time, we took a more relaxed approach. We honestly didn't sent out to see every resort, but we pretty much did as we visited the parks or had dinner reservations. We didn't see any rooms in Boulder Ridge since they didn't have any rooms available for viewing.

I don' t have them ranked, but more likely sorted into tiers. Frankly, we liked almost every resort, as each had something unique to offer.

Tier 6: (Sorry, no interest generally. Would have to be the last resort)

Bay Lake Tower - Seemed like a W hotel or a boutique modern hotel theming. Just not our thing. Also, this may have colored our review, but the Wave was just "meh."

Tier 5: (May give it a try?)

Boulder Ridge - I'll admit, this probably would've been in Tier 1 or Tier 2 before our stay. I've visited Boulder Ridge several years ago, but it's proximity to the main lodge was a lot further than I remembered. Yes, it's just a short walk, but if you have to do something (e.g., talk to the receptionist), it seems a lot further. For whatever reason, it felt a bit more disconnected. Since we like Copper Creek more, it's hard to say that we would want to stay here. Perhaps after the 2022 remodel, things will change. E.g., the nicer room will compensate for the additional walking.

Tier 4: (We'd give it a try)

Grand Floridian - Theming was just odd. Seemed like a mish-mash of everything. Also, amount of theming was much weaker than Riviera. Would still like to stay there, but wouldn't be our top resort.

Polynesian - This probably would've ranked in Tier 1 or Tier 2 before our stay. We happened to visit the bungalows at night. The place is really, really, really, poorly lit at night. It's also really confusing as to how to get around. The boat horns are also loud. I'm sure it'll be quieter inside. We've visited the resort before, but yeah, it was a little bit less likeable than what we had remembered from our first visit.

Tier 3: Epcot/Relaxation Tier (Close to Epcot, or if you just want to relax)

Saratoga Springs* - Love the spread out, private feeling with each unit. Also, love that it is within walking distance or boat distance to Disney Springs. The rehab also made the room look really nice. Prior to this past trip, this would've been in Tier 1, but only because there would've been 3 or 4 resorts in Tier 1. In addition, if we had a car, we could park really close by. I will say, one negative, was that the QS food was really "bleh". This is also our home resort. Definitely not disappointed in the purchase, though I guess I would've considered buying the number 1 resort below if I had to do it all over again.

Old Key West - same as Saratoga Springs. One thing I didn't like was that the TV was close to the ground (at least in the 1 BR).

Beach Club - Love the walking distance to Epcot. It would be great to spend a day at any of the other 3 parks, and then have dinner at Epcot. Obviously wasn't doable since park hopping was restricted, but it would be nice once it resumes.

Boardwalk** - Everything that was said about Beach Club, but also love the fact that there is no creepy clown slide anymore.

Riviera Resort - Ok. I expected to dislike the resort. This resort definitely exceeded my expectations in terms of theming. It doesn't hurt that everything is brand spanking new. The gondolas also were a lot cooler (well it was December and it does ride pretty high in the air) and a lot smoother than I expected. This is one that would've been Tier 4 or 5 before the visit.

Tier 2 (Not the number 1, but pretty darn close):
Animal Kingdom Lodge - We saw giraffes in the 3BR Grand Villa. Game Over. Loved the theming of the hotel. Granted, we had a car, so it didn't seem that bad to get places. Would totally do a hotel only stay here. One downside is the long walk on the corridors. That was really eye opening. However, if we could park near an elevator, that wouldn't be a problem. This would've been in Tier 1 before the trip, but that's because we probably would've had 3 or 4 resorts in Tier 1.

Tier 1 (Yup, the top resort):
Copper Creek* - We found out that of all 4 parks, we wanted to spend the most time at Magic Kingdom. The boat ride was easy. We also had a car and took it to the rest of the parks. Also, love the Wilderness Lodge theming. Really didn't mind being in a studio in the "smaller rooms." Incidentally we thought it had a lot more space than your traditional hotel room (maybe it's because we stayed in some really small ones in our previous road trips in the year). Didn't mind the lack of view, either, as we didn't really spend much time outside on the balcony. This is definitely on the list of resorts to purchase next.

* = Have Stayed
** = Stayed at hotel location.

If I had to do it over again, I think I would've bought at Copper Creek first instead of Saratoga Springs, though Saratoga Springs would've been on the purchase list anyways. I don't think I would've known how much we would like Copper Creek (even with a first floor room). Frankly, we would've also considered buying Boulder Ridge, which would've been a mistake. In addition, we also found that we liked just about every resort and would stay at every single resort, aside from maybe one or two.

8. OKW
7. Riviera
6. VGF
5. Boulder/CCV
4. BWV
3. AKV
2. Poly
1. BCV

We like OKW well enough. VGF is further back because although untried, every time I DO try to book it, DW expresses no interest.

We dislike SSR and really dislike BLT - it’s just not us.

Unsurprisingly maybe, we own points at our top 3 picks with the most at our no. 1 and the least at our no. 3.

We have enough points at AKV for taking runs at value and concierge, a fixed week at Poly and one of the best deals we’ve made was for our 250 pt BCV contract at sub-$90 per point before the blue card restrictions went into place and just before the huge run on BCV pricing.

1. GFV- A lot of nostalgia here primarily- we stayed here my first trip on property as a kid, stayed here for our wedding night, got married at the wedding pavilion etc. Also love that it is close to MK, can see the castle from property, access to monorail, pool very close to DVC building, and overall just feels “princessy” and magical to me.

2. Poly- I love the oasis pool at the Poly- probably my favorite pool as a party of all adults. We love just laying out in the sun with the Hawaiian music plus being close to MK, watching fireworks from the beach, smells of Ohana, dole whips, seeing the castle, taking the boat, and walking to the TTC for Epcot

3. Riviera- We have stayed here twice. The rooms are really well done, the skyliner is so fun and easy to ride, the quick service is good, the pool is nice, it has gelato which we like and can’t get at home, and sort of gives that “princessy” feeling like GF does but not as magical without the castle and fireworks from MK

4. Bay Lake Tower-We love theTPV rooms here- if TPV we would put above Riviera. We like the CR quieter pool that is on the lake and walking to MK. We really feel immersed in it all and like the theming of being basically at MK. We also love California grill (our favorite) so that boosts this one up too!

5. Animal Kingdom Lodge- we really enjoy staying here. It is super easy to relax and the pool is nice and big.The animals are fun but we aren’t huge animal lovers. Like the warm feeling in the lobby too. This is great for more relaxing trips.

we haven’t stayed at the rest enough to really rank. We did OKW for one night and enjoyed it for Disney Springs but the pool is far. We didn’t like Boardwalk because our room was incredibly far down a hallway so very hard to access and don’t find much special about the Boardwalk in general. We stayed at the regular beach club resort side once for 4 nights and liked it but we aren’t huge Epcot fans so while it was convenient for snacking etc., it didn’t feel super magical. I haven’t stayed at SSR, Copper creek, or Boulder Ridge.

1. GFV- A lot of nostalgia here primarily- we stayed here my first trip on property as a kid, stayed here for our wedding night, got married at the wedding pavilion etc. Also love that it is close to MK, can see the castle from property, access to monorail, pool very close to DVC building, and overall just feels “princessy” and magical to me.

2. Poly- I love the oasis pool at the Poly- probably my favorite pool as a party of all adults. We love just laying out in the sun with the Hawaiian music plus being close to MK, watching fireworks from the beach, smells of Ohana, dole whips, seeing the castle, taking the boat, and walking to the TTC for Epcot

3. Riviera- We have stayed here twice. The rooms are really well done, the skyliner is so fun and easy to ride, the quick service is good, the pool is nice, it has gelato which we like and can’t get at home, and sort of gives that “princessy” feeling like GF does but not as magical without the castle and fireworks from MK

4. Bay Lake Tower-We love theTPV rooms here- if TPV we would put above Riviera. We like the CR quieter pool that is on the lake and walking to MK. We really feel immersed in it all and like the theming of being basically at MK. We also love California grill (our favorite) so that boosts this one up too!

5. Animal Kingdom Lodge- we really enjoy staying here. It is super easy to relax and the pool is nice and big.The animals are fun but we aren’t huge animal lovers. Like the warm feeling in the lobby too. This is great for more relaxing trips.

we haven’t stayed at the rest enough to really rank. We did OKW for one night and enjoyed it for Disney Springs but the pool is far. We didn’t like Boardwalk because our room was incredibly far down a hallway so very hard to access and don’t find much special about the Boardwalk in general. We stayed at the regular beach club resort side once for 4 nights and liked it but we aren’t huge Epcot fans so while it was convenient for snacking etc., it didn’t feel super magical. I haven’t stayed at SSR, Copper creek, or Boulder Ridge.
We're just back from a week of bouncing between BCV, Riv, and AKL-Jambo. We've stayed at most of the DVC properties at this point, but there was a point up above in your post that deserves to be highlighted.

"2. Poly- I love the oasis pool at the Poly- probably my favorite pool as a party of all adults. We love just laying out in the sun with the Hawaiian music plus being close to MK, watching fireworks from the beach, smells of Ohana, dole whips, seeing the castle, taking the boat, and walking to the TTC for Epcot"

The Oasis Pool at Poly may very well be our favorite, too. And we just spent a few days at SAB and having Uzima Springs basically to ourselves at AKL. The Lava Pool is fun and packs its own punch, but the Oasis Pool is so peaceful and relaxing with the soundtrack really setting the scene. The contrast to the parks is extreme in such a delightful way.

Interesting how different the lists are. I won't rank since we only stayed at Poly (our home), SSR, BWL and Kidani. We love Poly, liked Kidani but less than we expected to but we liked Kidani better than Jambo; surprisingly liked SSR, and loved BWL for the location and Boardwalk, but the room was meh.

We are planning to buy add-on points. How would you rank reports for add-on purposes taking into account resale cost, maintenance fees, and time life on the contracts? We contemplated BWL but the 2042 end date makes that harder to do.

1) CC - Home resort and we have 2 different contracts. Love that it feels like im not in Florida at the resort.
2) BWV - I have loved the BW since i was a kid and being a DVC member is the only way that i would ever be able to stay there
3) Poly - Love the theme. No 1BR is a draw back.
4) BLT - Cali Grill and the TOTWL
5) VGF - Love the Resort but the rooms are not my style
6) BR - See CC above, but these rooms need a refurb
7) BC - Pool is amazing but the smell of cape may keeps me away and i love seafood
8) Riveria - I dont get it.

Interesting how different the lists are. I won't rank since we only stayed at Poly (our home), SSR, BWL and Kidani. We love Poly, liked Kidani but less than we expected to but we liked Kidani better than Jambo; surprisingly liked SSR, and loved BWL for the location and Boardwalk, but the room was meh.

We are planning to buy add-on points. How would you rank reports for add-on purposes taking into account resale cost, maintenance fees, and time life on the contracts? We contemplated BWL but the 2042 end date makes that harder to do.

Add on points are entirely dependent on how you plan to use them:
If you're planning on using them as "sleep around" points, just to use all over the place at the 7-month mark, then it's SSR.

If you're planning on a "second home resort": Then I'd say look at everyone's rankings... move the 2042 resorts down a couple notches and move longer contracts up a few notches.

And have you ever heard of any Disney guest going to OKW just for the restaurants?
I know some other folks have already said this but...

Our first DVC stay was at OKW. We landed at MCO about noon, and grabbed our rental car to make our way to Epcot, which we planned to visit briefly until check-in time. But, one look at the weather radar convinced us that that was a bad idea.

So, I called an audible instead: let's drive to the resort, see if we can get into the room a bit early, and grab lunch. When we arrived it was still raining cats and dogs. We got into Olivia's, slightly waterlogged, and it was as if someone waved a magic wand. The place was only about 1/4 full, and peaceful. The Cast were gracious and welcoming. The food was surprisingly good. We watched the rain pound down outside with a few other guests while we ate, and what was a frustrating travel day transformed into vacation mode.

Over the years since, I probably make a point of heading to Olivia's for lunch two out of every three trips, whether I am staying at OKW or not. You rarely need an ADR (and if you want the reassurance, you can usually get one last minute). It's always peaceful. Usually, there are some non-OKW Cast Members that appear to be in the managerial class eating there as well.

Sometimes these lunches are pre-planned in our itinerary. Sometimes, they happen because we find ourselves in a hot, crowded, frustrating theme park/water park and decide to escape to serenity. The food can be variable, but it is usually better than average for a "Disney moderate TS" particularly when comparing the lunch menus.

I suspect that at least 25% of my fondness for Olivia's is all about that very first day. That's okay with me.

I know some other folks have already said this but...

Our first DVC stay was at OKW. We landed at MCO about noon, and grabbed our rental car to make our way to Epcot, which we planned to visit briefly until check-in time. But, one look at the weather radar convinced us that that was a bad idea.

So, I called an audible instead: let's drive to the resort, see if we can get into the room a bit early, and grab lunch. When we arrived it was still raining cats and dogs. We got into Olivia's, slightly waterlogged, and it was as if someone waved a magic wand. The place was only about 1/4 full, and peaceful. The Cast were gracious and welcoming. The food was surprisingly good. We watched the rain pound down outside with a few other guests while we ate, and what was a frustrating travel day transformed into vacation mode.

Over the years since, I probably make a point of heading to Olivia's for lunch two out of every three trips, whether I am staying at OKW or not. You rarely need an ADR (and if you want the reassurance, you can usually get one last minute). It's always peaceful. Usually, there are some non-OKW Cast Members that appear to be in the managerial class eating there as well.

Sometimes these lunches are pre-planned in our itinerary. Sometimes, they happen because we find ourselves in a hot, crowded, frustrating theme park/water park and decide to escape to serenity. The food can be variable, but it is usually better than average for a "Disney moderate TS" particularly when comparing the lunch menus.

I suspect that at least 25% of my fondness for Olivia's is all about that very first day. That's okay with me.

Sorry this is a little off topic but I have always wanted to try Olivia's, I'm thinking 2022 just might be the year we do. We could have a late lunch and then take the boat to DS (if the boats are running), that would be an enjoyable afternoon and evening to me. Thanks for the great review! princess:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter