DVC (WDW) rankings

havoc315

DIS Veteran
Tom Bricker is out with his updated DVC rankings:
https://www.disneytouristblog.com/disney-vacation-club-resort-rankings/
I figured I'd share my own, and let everyone else share theirs. Unlike Tom, I haven't stayed at EVERY property, so some of my rankings are based on personal experience, some based on what I've read and seen online.
This is HIGHLY subjective. There are objective factors -- like room size. There are semi-objective factors, like location. But in the end, it's heavily subjective, especially with the weighting you would give each category. (how do you compare a resort with great location and awful rooms? vs a resort with great rooms but awful location?)

Like Tom, I'll combine CCV and BRV as they are similar enough.

Anyway, here we go:

10. Saratoga Springs: It's a fairly pretty resort. Biggest advantage is the easy access to Disney Springs. But buses to get to all 4 theme parks, among the smallest rooms at DVC. Nothing particularly standout about the pool, restaurants, amenities at the resort.

9. Old Key West: The rooms are large but not especially luxurious. The pool is about average. And have you ever heard of any Disney guest going to OKW just for the restaurants?

8. Bay Lake Tower: There is 1 GREAT thing about Bay Lake Tower: Location. Walk to Magic Kingdom. There is 1 very very good thing: Top of the World Lounge. But the rest is really underwhelming. Rooms are on the small size and fairly plain. There are good dining options but they are all across the skyway at the Contemporary with virtually nothing actually at Bay Lake Tower. Despite the location, the theme park views are largely mediocre, especially at lower floors. The grounds of the property are bland. While the Contemporary Hotel has a unique feel to it, BLT feels like a generic 1990-something apartment building you would find in any medium sized city.

7. Boulder Ridge / Copper Creek: The grounds are lovely. Wilderness Lodge is gorgeous. But the pools are on the small size. The rooms are on the small size. Rooms don't tend to provide great views. Dining is all through the sister resort and is okay. Location is a bit isolate -- boat to other resorts and Magic Kingdom. Bus everywhere else.

6. Beach Club Villas: This may be controversial. Beach Club/Yacht Club is 1 of the best resorts on property. Stormalong Bay is the best pool. The location is among the best with just a short walk to Epcot. And now, that short walk would also bring you to the SKyliner. You have decent dining options, including lots of other dining options at the Boardwalk, a hop and skip away. But EVERYTHING I just said is for the entire Beach Club/Yacht Club complex. Does DVC add anything or actually take away?
The DVC building is tucked away on the wrong side of the resort. Instead of facing the lake and the boardwalk, it's in the back facing the parking lot. Rooms are average sized and bland. The DVC property itself is really just the building. It if wasn't for all the advantages of the sister resort, BCV might be dead last. (I think Disney would be wise to tear it down in 2042 and build something luxurious in its place, a tower with views into Epcot)

5. Riviera Resort: Among the nicest and largest rooms, a couple very good dining options. The pools don't have the theming of a Stormalong Bay or Poly Volcano, but they are large and elegant. And critically -- they are not shared with a sister resort and thousands of guests. They are really just for the use of those staying at Riviera, only about 300 rooms. You can ding the somewhat uninspired architecture. Location is a mixed bag: The Skyliner makes for easy fast transportation to two parks at most times of the day. Though it can be slow getting to DHS in the morning ropedrop, and slow getting back from Epcot after fireworks. Worst part of the location is the only thing walkable is CBR -- but that does give you a nice pool for hopping and some extra dining options.

4. Boardwalk Villas: Truthfully, you can easily rearrange my 4-5-6 based on weighting. It has similar pros to BCV. Great location -- fairly easy walk to Epcot AND DHS. (BCV is a longish walk to DHS). Thus, the location is better than BCV. And where BCV is a building thrown in the back of the resort, Boardwalk Villas are a real part of the resort. You can get a view of the lake and boardwalk. You can step right out on the Boardwalk, which is a big selling point. Lots of dining options, in addition to a dance hall, bar, and entertainment on the Boardwalk. Loses points for mediocre rooms and mediocre pool.

3. Animal Kingdom Villas: Negative: Location requires buses everywhere, even Animal Kingdom. But this is a good tradeoff for the positive -- Savannah views! That is a purely unique positive. Rooms are well appointed and decent size. Some of the best dining. A gorgeous property. A point chart that makes even Grand Villas fairly accessible.

2. Polynesian Villas: Negatives -- only studios and Bungalows. Studio lake views turn into views blocked by the bungalows. Positives: Location, monorail to MK and short walk to Epcot monorail. Walk to the beach and get a straight on view of Magic Kingdom for fireworks. Lush gorgeous property. Might just be studios, but they are large and well appointed. The pool is among the nicest at Disney. Yes, everything is shared with the sister resort, but they are fully integrated together. Dining is so-so, with no real "signature" dining on property. But lots of signature dining within a monorail ride.

1. Grand Floridian Villas: Guess I agree with Tom Bricker here. The new walkway probably boosts it to #1 over Poly. Rooms are among the nicest and biggest. Property is gorgeous. Large pools, Lots of dining options. If there are any negatives -- price (point chart) and the fact that everything is really shared with the sister resort. But the VIllas section alone is a gorgeous property. While amenities are shared, at least they are the most luxuries amenities at Disney.

OK, I'll play (without the details lol). I haven't stayed at Riviera (or CCV but have stayed at BRV) so that one will be a bit of a guess but have stayed at the others.

10: BLT
9: SSR
8: OKW
7: Riviera
6: BWV
5: BCV
4: Poly
3: AKV
2: VWL
1: VGF

I do keep second guessing a couple positions but I'll stick with this. Ultimately I put more weight on the resort itself over location because we don't mind driving and using Disney transportation as necessary.

Here's my ranking. This is already really interesting to see what people value in the different DVC properties;

10. Old Key West: Really pretty, would be great place to visit if it were anywhere else, but it's in WDW and you need a bus to get anywhere. That's a problem here.

9. Saratoga Springs: Same as OKW except you can walk to DS, and that's a pretty big plus right now.

8. Polynesian Villas: Great location, great theme - but only studios, and that's a deal-breaker for my family

7. Boulder Ridge / Copper Creek: Love the theming, rooms are too small. 1BR's only fit 4 - why did they design it this way? No idea. but that's a deal-breaker for a family of 5. The cabins here are my bucket-list stay. Someday...someday.

6. Animal Kingdom Villas: Lovely, lots of rooms, rooms are a good size - but the location! Just too much time spent on buses.

5. Riviera Resort: Love the resort - very pretty, lots of great amenities. LOVE the access to the Skyliner! Negatives, and these are considerable; points chart and dues are both REALLY high.

4. Grand Floridian Villas: Really pretty, it just screams "ON VACATION" like no other property. Points chart though - a little rich for us.

3. Boardwalk Villas: LOVE the theming, love just being here. The walk to Epcot is fantastic. The knock? 1BR's are a little small and only have bedding for 4. We'll bring a cot and make it work for 5. Oh yeah, only 1 bathroom in the 1 br's too. Once you've stayed somewhere with 2 bathrooms this gets to be a pretty big deal.

2. Beach Club: same as everything for Boardwalk, except it has Stormalong Bay.

1. Bay Lake Tower: LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION! 1 br's sleep 5 and have 2 bathrooms - that sells it for us. Negatives; the buses right now are a pain (except for MK of course) and the theming which I can live with. The coffee shop in the Contemporary will open and the monorail to EPCOT will open at some point, but for now that's a real drag too.

It's interesting watching this for the diversity of opinions and to see if there is any "consensus."
The most love it/hate it -- so far, BLT. Ranked last, 8th, and first.
No surprise that everyone puts SSR/OKW at/near bottom.

Note to Lumpy -- I generally didn't consider point chart, or at least not much weight. As I expect better/best to be more/most expensive. But that was just how I personally weighted it for these purposes. Clearly, "value" is a critical aspect of actually using the resorts. I ranked GFV first.. but the super high point chart might stop me from ever actually staying there. Also... the extra bathrooms at BLT and AKV are a nice plus, agree with you there.

^ That's true and I really didn't (and shouldn't) put too much weight on the dues - since I'm not paying them. The points required though, that's really hard to ignore. It puts GFV and RIV in the same category in that respect.

Even with the rankings that I posted, we're still happy staying at SSR & OKW. I gave my daughter (15) the choice of 1BR's for an upcoming stay....there was a standard view 1BR at VGF available that I thought she would choose and yet she picked SSR Preferred for a renovated room. She thinks they look great, she'd have a queen murphy bed, and there's easy access to DS. We like staying at different resorts (own at AKV) and it often just depends on the type of trip we want.

^ That's true and I really didn't (and shouldn't) put too much weight on the dues - since I'm not paying them. The points required though, that's really hard to ignore. It puts GFV and RIV in the same category in that respect.

Careful with dues at the Riviera. It's quite possible they rise slowly for the first couple years and essentially fall in line with most of the other resorts. Point chart is more of an issue -- it's essentially the 3rd highest point chart.

I'll play, but we haven't stayed at Grand Floridian or either villas at VWL or Riviera, and I know the first 2 are tops on most lists....hopefully sooner than later, Our cancelled summer trip would've included CCV....but so far for me:

7: OKV-only did 2 nights here, so need to try again. strongly disliked look and busses
6: SSR-disliked bus system, but also need to try again, since we like to eat at DS more now
the next 3 are pretty much tied
5: Poly-we don't like studios, but I LOVE, LOVE this resort, if they'd get 1/2 bedrms, we'd love it more
4: BLT-walking to MK/ extra bath in 1 bedroom. LOVE the rooms, but point cost high
3: BCV-SAB awesome, but no other advantage to BCV for more points over BWV, but walking to Epcot/HS puts it higher than the MK resorts.

2: AKL-LOVE the vibe/savanna views, extra bathroom in 1 bedroom-LOVE this resort, just inconvenient as far as transportation.
1: BWV-it's home ,so it wins! but honestly, not having the extra bath in the 1 bedrm is very bad, and then with the lock off situation, hard to get 2 bedrooms, and overall weird bathroom layout is not nearly as good as BLT/AKL, but walking to Epcot/HS, and standard rooms points cost move it up! glad it's our home

Last edited:
Seems to be Christmas ranking. Makes sense all the MK resorts at the top I suppose. Can't say I agree with the list fully though.

Sorry POLY though when ranking a full resort agnostically as a whole is going to get a major downgrade for only having Studios. You are missing the primary difference between just staying Cash and DVC right off the bat. Now if its a Studio ranking then POLY will be right at the top though.

I’ll play too. Haven’t stayed at Riviera and really don’t have a desire to, so I won’t rank that one.

9. SSR
8. GFV
7. AKV
6. BCV
5. BWV
4. BLT
3. Copper Creek/Boulder Ridge
2. OKW
1. Poly

Poly is just great with the location, now the walkability, and just have always loved the overall resort there. OKW has been my home away from home since 1994 and I absolutely adore everything about it. It would actually be tied for first with Poly for me. Love the laid back atmosphere and Olivia’s is one of the best restaurants on property. We always have our car, so we never take buses. Copper a Creek is our newest home resort and I love it there as well. Makes me feel like I’m camping. Hate SSR and only stay there if I can’t get OKW for a specific stay, bland rooms, bland buildings, and very shady and dark grounds. Also I’m not a fan of VGF. Never liked the resort and had a bad experience the one time we stayed there. Other than GFC, we generally avoid GF at all costs.

I haven't stayed at them all yet either but can rank them on order of current interest:

10: SSR/OKW* tie
9: BRV
8: AKL*
7: BLT
6: CCV
5: GFV
4: Poly**
3: BCV**
2: RIV
1: BWV

*resorts we've tried
**upcoming trip

I haven't stayed at them all yet either but can rank them on order of current interest:

10: SSR/OKW* tie
9: BRV
8: AKL*
7: BLT
6: CCV
5: GFV
4: Poly**
3: BCV**
2: RIV
1: BWV

*resorts we've tried
**upcoming trip
You split up BRV and CCV and gave them pretty different rankings - interesting. Care to elaborate?

Seems to be Christmas ranking. Makes sense all the MK resorts at the top I suppose. Can't say I agree with the list fully though.

Sorry POLY though when ranking a full resort agnostically as a whole is going to get a major downgrade for only having Studios. You are missing the primary difference between just staying Cash and DVC right off the bat. Now if its a Studio ranking then POLY will be right at the top though.

Tom Bricker seemed influenced by factors that would be pretty isolated to others. Such as his love for the public areas of Wilderness Lodge..

But his rankings.. your points... all are what make this type of discussion both fun and impossible. Each resort is so different, they aren't apples to apples comparisons. (and that's what of the great things about DVC).
How much do you ding Poly for non-studios, especially when so many people are perfectly happy with just studios? How much do you rate it as the Polynesian Resort as opposed to specifically a DVC?

It does feel like DVC has 3 general "types" of properties at Disney World. And there is overlap between these categories.
You have the "standalone" which they mostly moved away from: OKW, SSR, and basically Riviera.

You have the "sister" resort DVC:
BLT
AK-Kidani
GFV
BRV
BCV
BWV

Of these, they mostly tried to build a somewhat distinct DVC, that gets the benefit of shared amenities.

Then, you have mere capacity conversions -- trouble booking up properties, so convert some of it to DVC!
Polynesian
CCV
AK-Jambo
BLT to some degree (they tore down a Contemporary Garden building)
Riviera to some degree (tore down part of CBR.... but gave Riviera all its own amenities).

So in a lot of ways, it's simply not fair to compare something like OKW, something designed to be DVC from top to bottom, to something like GFV, which was simply an addition to Disney's most luxurious regular resort.

Circling back to my point.... I ranked Poly highly. But that's mostly because the Polynesian is possibly my favorite regular resort. It's not exactly very "DVCish."

Anyone reading Tom's article should really take it with a grain of salt. We all have our own preferences, i.e. room size, pools, restaurants, transport options etc.. I bet if we completed a survey with a family with kids, swimmers vs non swimmers, monorail vs... all completely different clientele. Then we take it even further.. has Tom stayed in a refurbished room at SSR vs Old Room.. Poly has the best Studio but a family who needs a One Bedroom would have to rank it last... BLT is probably the worst Studio but one of the best One Bedrooms. So in my case with preferences considered BLT would reign supreme..

How much do you ding Poly for non-studios, especially when so many people are perfectly happy with just studios?

Well since studios are only roughly 35% of all DVC rooms I would say you have to ding it fairly hard when eliminating roughly 2/3rds of the room that people book across DVC.

Unlike CCV which has small studios that you might not like or SSR where you have to bus everywhere there is a group of DVC that is not able to book a room there outside of Bungalows based on party size (and in a rankings list I am not giving credit to a request based connecting studios when it is not a guarantee and bookable).

Like I said if this list is specific to a studio group that's different.

He started off talking about how he rated resorts based on various things. To me that spells him trying to act like this is an agnostic all up list.

Just my thoughts and I would say he should have went further in depth to show each of the various things he rates the resort on and how they stack up in comparison.

I guess it's probably why I don't visit that site though I guess.

Well since studios are only roughly 35% of all DVC rooms I would say you have to ding it fairly hard when eliminating roughly 2/3rds of the room that people book across DVC.

Unlike CCV which has small studios that you might not like or SSR where you have to bus everywhere there is a group of DVC that is not able to book a room there outside of Bungalows based on party size (and in a rankings list I am not giving credit to a request based connecting studios when it is not a guarantee and bookable).

Like I said if this list is specific to a studio group that's different.

He started off talking about how he rated resorts based on various things. To me that spells him trying to act like this is an agnostic all up list.

Just my thoughts and I would say he should have went further in depth to show each of the various things he rates the resort on and how they stack up in comparison.

I guess it's probably why I don't visit that site though I guess.
It's simply an opinion...he's not telling you that it has to be your top 10. The article even mentions how much he likes the resorts at the bottom of the list and that arguments can be made to make each #1.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter