DVC resale/availability question

Leahc117

Mouseketeer
Hello,
I am thinking about buying DVC, and have looked at both resale and direct (and a combo of both). I thought about doing direct to maintain the benefits and potential for booking at riviera/future resorts. However, it seems that only members with certain resorts as their home resort will be able to book (riviera, beachclub, certain studios) because every time I check availability (using a site called "dvc availability") at 7 mo or under there is nothing left. So should I just buy ressale at a resort I like and only count on booking at the easier to book resorts within 7 mo?
I also have a family of 5 - so our options are limited as far as best value is concerned. Any suggestions on how to maximize value for 5? We LOVE copper creek and i am not sure how that could work for us as it is one of the more expensive resorts and would limit us to 2 bedroom only. We also love animal kingdom but availability doesn't seem as challenging so i could book there if I own somewhere else? Advice is appreciated!!

First of all, any site you are seeing for rooms is not real time availability as only members have access to that.

Depending on when you travel, and room size, getting a different resort can be difficult. But most of the time, something should be available for trading out...Not all views or sizes, but something.

Near park resorts are more popular than places like SSR, OKW, and AKV. Due to the size of those resorts, 7 month availability there seems to be good.

If you buy, buy at a resort you want mind staying so that if things aren’t that great at the other resorts you want to try. It’s not a big deal,

Fall is a busy DVC time, and most owners book at 11 months. Trading during that time can be difficult, especially for studios,

Having said all that, nothing is every impossible and if you are flexible, you should be able to try a lot of resorts, I been to almost all of them. Sometimes I ended up with split stays, which I prefer, but i have had options!

So should I just buy ressale at a resort I like and only count on booking at the easier to book resorts within 7 mo?
Yes, buy at a resort you like and wouldn't mind staying at if you can't swap at 7 months. That is advice many of us give to potential owners, because as DVC expands and adds more members, it becomes harder and harder to switch to different resorts due to the competition. A corollary to that is it's important to book your home resort at 11 months (or definitely before the 7 month window opens) during many times of year, to be sure of having a place to stay at all. People who wait until 7 months or less to book at all are often disappointed and not able to find a room.

I also have a family of 5 - so our options are limited as far as best value is concerned. Any suggestions on how to maximize value for 5?
Several resorts can sleep 5 in a 1 bedroom - OKW, SSR, AKL, BLT, RIV come to mind. (BWV & BCV will allow 5, but you have to bring your own bed and linens for the 5th person.) I especially like BLT and AKL because they also have two full bathrooms, which is great for families!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter