DVC Occupancy Thread Part 2

The DVC Moderators

DVC Moderators
Room Occupancy

We ask that DVC Occupancy discussions will be limited to this thread.

Currently DVC allows the following occupancy:

Studio 4*
1 Bdrm 5+
2 Bdrm 9+
Grand Villa 12*

*plus a child under the age of 3 in a Pack-n-Play
+Some DVC resorts have a single sleeper chair for person 5/9 respectively. For others you will need to provide your own air mattress, sleeping bag, or other arrangements.

The original Occupancy is closed, but may be viewed HERE.

Feel free to continue the ongoing discussion here, in this thread.

I guess I am behind the times. Tonight I went to book a 1 bedroom online for our family of 5 and I noticed the usual at the usual resorts. The newer ones say sleep 5 and the older ones say can sleep 5 but no additional bedding. Then I noticed the OKW 1 bedroom and it said sleeps 5, straight out, nothing about bedding. I guess they added the sleeper chair during the upgrades?

It just surprized me.

Yes all the OKW villas were upgraded with a sleeping chair last year

Now that the one bedrooms at OKW, AKV (non value) and BLT have the sleeper chair making it sleep 5... if our 6th person was just over age 3 could we provide a little bed for her and stay in a one bedroom? :confused3

I guess not.. I just checked the online booking and it won't let me go past the first page...says I'd need to pick a different size room. Darn! She'd be able to hop in bed with us in the master and the other three could sleep in the living room. Bummer!!

Now that the one bedrooms at OKW, AKV (non value) and BLT have the sleeper chair making it sleep 5... if our 6th person was just over age 3 could we provide a little bed for her and stay in a one bedroom? :confused3

I guess not.. I just checked the online booking and it won't let me go past the first page...says I'd need to pick a different size room. Darn! She'd be able to hop in bed with us in the master and the other three could sleep in the living room. Bummer!!

No six. Just five plus one under the age of three.

But if she's old enough to need a ticket, she also will need a KTTW to be included in other activities, so there's no real upside to "sneaking" her in.

[Apologies in advance if this was discussed in the original thread - I haven't read it....]

Since OKW was upgraded to include the sleeper chair, do you think they will eventually make the rounds to do this in some/all of the other resorts which currently have beds only for 4? We are a family of 5 and even though we could bring an air mattress, it would be so much better to have an actual bed (my kids loved the sleeper chair at BLT!). Maybe the size of the 1-BR units at the other resorts wouldn't accommodate this? I know OKW is the biggest so there was space there. But if they could squeeze one into some of the others, it would be so great for families of 5! Do you think it could happen?

[Apologies in advance if this was discussed in the original thread - I haven't read it....]

Since OKW was upgraded to include the sleeper chair, do you think they will eventually make the rounds to do this in some/all of the other resorts which currently have beds only for 4? We are a family of 5 and even though we could bring an air mattress, it would be so much better to have an actual bed (my kids loved the sleeper chair at BLT!). Maybe the size of the 1-BR units at the other resorts wouldn't accommodate this? I know OKW is the biggest so there was space there. But if they could squeeze one into some of the others, it would be so great for families of 5! Do you think it could happen?
Likely not due to space issues. Technically and legally the occupancy is still 4 for OKW though.

The sleeper chair at OKW replaced an existing large chair and ottoman. The other resorts may have space issues and be unable to accommodate the addition of the sleeper chair, especially when unfolded for use.

Likely not due to space issues. Technically and legally the occupancy is still 4 for OKW though.

Legally, I'm sure OKW's contract is like my SSR contract with a max occupancy of 4 in a 1BR.
Technically, DVC now publishes points charts for OKW stating under 1BR villa "all sleep 4, most sleep 5"
SSR and other non- sleeper chair villas only state 4.

Here's a question. I used to be a member and when I tried to book a cash ressie with Disney they told me back in Jan of this year that the only 1 bdrm that will sleep 5 is okw. I told them that in the past when we were members they allowed 5 in a 1 bdrm.

Is this only being done for members or can I now being a non-member book a 1 bdrm in any of the dvc resorts?

Cash bookings operate under their own rules set by Disney Resort Reservations, they also have different booking categories and seasons vs. DVC Point reservations.

Bay Lake Tower and Animal Kingdom Villas (non-value) should also sleep 5. Don't see any reason why Disney wouldn't allow that.

But I agree with Chuck that they wouldn't necessarily allow cash guests to expand occupancy at others the way they have for DVC members.

That really doesn't make sense though. If they will let a family who are members do it then what's the difference if a non-member family wants to do the same especially since I know this from experience being in the dvc at one time.

Will they be replacing the chairs in the one bedrooms with a sleeper chair? This would make sense.

That really doesn't make sense though. If they will let a family who are members do it then what's the difference if a non-member family wants to do the same especially since I know this from experience being in the dvc at one time.

Disney's sandbox...Disney's rules. :confused3

What it comes down to is two different divisions of the same company making its own rules. Disney Vacation Club has decided that occupancy rules can be stretched a bit. Disney Parks & Resorts chooses to more rigidly adhere to the established limits.

The cash resorts want to sell you a room that fits your party rather than allowing guests to unroll sleeping bags to their hearts' content. I believe at some resorts they charge additional fees depending upon the number of room occupants. At others they simply force you into a larger unit or two connecting rooms.

Will they be replacing the chairs in the one bedrooms with a sleeper chair? This would make sense.

Only where there is enough space. The sleeper chairs will not fit in Boardwalk, Beach Club, Saratoga Springs and others. Living rooms are too small.

Wow. That's crazy.

My family just spent a week at the Beach Club on the club level and I know that these rooms have enough beds to sleep 5 but they don't really have the space for 5. The one bedrooms that I've been in over the years have way more space.

I guess I'm just thinking the way a normal person would.:confused3 Disney being the non normal person of course.

More space fits more people.

More space fits more people.

I can't agree with you there.

Whenever you book a hotel, the assumption is that there will be a bed for everyone. If a hotel accepts a reservation for a party of 5, there should be sleeping accommodations for 5.

The resorts we are talking about only have beds for 4--a king bed and a queen-size sofa bed. I don't blame Disney / CRO for only allowing 4 people in those villas.

If we want to point fingers, I personally think CRO's approach is better than DVC's. The old policy of 4 occupants plus one under the age of 3 was also reasonable since there is a porta-crib available for the child. Allowing 5 occupants of any age in a room designed for 4 has always seemed excessive / unnecessary / inappropriate IMO.

Whenever you book a hotel, the assumption is that there will be a bed for everyone. If a hotel accepts a reservation for a party of 5, there should be sleeping accommodations for 5.

The resorts we are talking about only have beds for 4--a king bed and a queen-size sofa bed. I don't blame Disney / CRO for only allowing 4 people in those villas.

Exactly. So why make different rules for members and non- members. The members don't have a bed for their fifth occupant.

What I'm trying to say is that since I already know for a fact that these rooms can sleep 5 through member services then why don't they let others do the same.

I think it should be one set of rules straight across the board.

I'm more annoyed knowing that 5 "members" can have a 1 bdrm. but 5 "non-members" can not. And most people don't even realize that. But I do and it's not the way things should be run.

Exactly. So why make different rules for members and non- members. The members don't have a bed for their fifth occupant.

What I'm trying to say is that since I already know for a fact that these rooms can sleep 5 through member services then why don't they let others do the same.

I think it should be one set of rules straight across the board.

I'm more annoyed knowing that 5 "members" can have a 1 bdrm. but 5 "non-members" can not. And most people don't even realize that. But I do and it's not the way things should be run.

May just be splitting hairs now but the rooms we're talking about do NOT "sleep 5." They only sleep 4.

As for your other comments, I can only go back to: It's Disney's sandbox and they can do whatever they wish. This isn't some super-secret policy that they've tried to keep under wraps. It's just the way different divisions of the company have established different policies for the same accommodations.

If you want to try renting points from a member, they will allow 5 names on a One Bedroom reservation booked with (rented) points.

If you want to book through CRO, they will only allow 4.

Unfortunately your awareness of the policy differences isn't going to prompt any exceptions. Good luck.

I'll just say one more thing. You and I know that it is kind of a "super-secret policy" when you allow more guests in a room that shouldn't be there only because they are members.

There are fire code laws after all.:confused3I guess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!