DVC newbie: Availability, Direct vs Resale

Which home resort would you recommend?
The big benefit of a home resort is the 11 month booking availability. If you will not be booking at 11 months, then you will want a home resort with the lowest cost per point, lowest maintenance fees, and duration of contract that you are want. Also important is how long you would like to keep the contract.

You could buy in super cheap at Vero Beach but the maintenance fees add up there quickly.

For a non-2042 contract I would recommend Saratoga Springs. Price per point resale (For your purposes direct isn't that important as you can get Florida resident passes) SSR is about $120 per point with maintenance at $7.33 per point. SSR expires 2054.

You have to update us someday! I think this is very interesting DVC use scenario, and actually one of the most financially advantageous, considering the parking and the last minute stuff.

And I'm not totally opposed to a direct contract for you, because the future resorts and events might tip the scales. For that to be true, you'd have to plan to hold for a decade and actually try to go to the events, which means paying attention to the announcements and clicking first and all that jazz. Last minute bookings might be easier with direct points. Example: last minute RIV room pops up. I can't book it, I can't even see it. You could book it or waitlist it, when a lot of people can't. As more O14 changes hands to block RIV, and as more RIV+ change hands limiting those resale buyers, direct buyers will have the most inventory. All the RIV2 and RIV3 resale buyers won't be able to book RIV1 either. This matters when you don't care what the room is, you just need a room. (Or maybe after RIV no more restrictions, and none of this mattered).

In the past, DVC did have (paid) special events like learn to draw classes and wine tastings and tours with special people and such. DVC is too cheap for that now, but as locals, I can see stuff like that mattering to you if it comes back. You might look at the recent Moonlight Magic and see if things like that might be appealing to you.

Last edited:
You have to update us someday! I think this is very interesting DVC use scenario, and actually one of the most financially advantageous, considering the parking and the last minute stuff.

And I'm not totally opposed to a direct contract for you, because the future resorts and events might tip the scales
I don't know why I didn't get notifications for the latest post. Thanks y'all

I have been discussing all this with my wife and checked the information provided in this thread. We think it may work for us. We have the flexibility and despite 7-11 months doesn't work for us, we go to Disney a lot and we will get a booking eventually. We will try to plan ahead for some birthdays or anniversaries.

Now, we are trying to decide between resale and direct. Obviously, the money factor makes more sense for a resale contract but we have been thinking about what @RoseGold mentioned: future resorts & events. Additionally, we're feeling that Disney will become tighter with resale contracts. This last part is a big IF but they may find clever ways to squeeze us. We are planning to hold the DVC for a long time unless a disaster happens.

We went to Animal Kingdom & EPCOT 2 weekends ago and tried to talk to DVC people in the park but they were busy. I'll try to call them this week and confirm the prices for AKL (if they have it available) to run my numbers and do the final math. For direct, we are between VGF and AKL. For resale, AKL and SSR.

I'll update the thread with my findings.

😹. If I convinced someone to buy direct, hades has truly frozen over. But I think it makes sense for you as maybe flexible somewhat locals and with interactions with various leves of resale locking down availability.

😹. If I convinced someone to buy direct, hades has truly frozen over.
You may be laughing but is true 🤣 I showed part of the thread to my wife and she said: “I like how @RoseGold thinks. We should look out for direct”..

So there we are.. I’m checking out some strategies to maximize some CC sign-on bonuses & cash back to make more appealing the direct, economically speaking.

A little update here! We ended up buying direct (GFV). We put a value to the perks and future availability. I know it is a shot in the dark but…

We used a friend referral and his DVC agent gave us the chance to spread out the payments in 90 days, 3 weeks each one. Used Chase Saphire and BofA Premium Rewards for the cash back and sign bonuses.

And we already booked couple weekends in July and August. Since we are not looking for extended periods of times, we find the short availability good enough for us.

Let’s see how it goes in the future! Thanks y’all for the info and help!

A little update here! We ended up buying direct (GFV). We put a value to the perks and future availability. I know it is a shot in the dark but…

We used a friend referral and his DVC agent gave us the chance to spread out the payments in 90 days, 3 weeks each one. Used Chase Saphire and BofA Premium Rewards for the cash back and sign bonuses.

And we already booked couple weekends in July and August. Since we are not looking for extended periods of times, we find the short availability good enough for us.

Let’s see how it goes in the future! Thanks y’all for the info and help!

Congratulations!!!!

I'm glad you were able to book what you wanted last minute. If someone is watching availability closely, I really think you should be able to book whatever you want. I even had a Boardwalk view wait list fill.

I bet this comes out cheaper than even a last minute Pop room, especially with parking and taxes.

Last edited:
I'm glad you were able to book what you wanted last minute. If someone is watching availability closely, I really think you should be able to book whatever you want.
You are right. My wife is freaky with planning vacations. She enjoys looking for stuff aka she booked our stay in AKL for her birthday in August looking at the website around 1 am couple days ago. I was sleeping and she was like “look what I found” Hahaha. That website is her new toy.. hahaha

You are right. My wife is freaky with planning vacations. She enjoys looking for stuff aka she booked our stay in AKL for her birthday in August looking at the website around 1 am couple days ago.
Then she is my people. Next up is a resale contract in an opposite UY, so you play with one for summer-fall, one for winter-spring. And you get FOUR waitlists, which is very powerful. I am moving mine around all the time. One night in club level or Boardwalk view or whatever DOES pop up. The RIV value studio might be an awesome choice for you too.

Since you already have direct points, I'd be willing to buy Poly1, assuming that Poly2 will be in the same association. If that's wrong, you sell in a few years, or you just hold as O14 SAP. There's a lot of Poly on the market, and I'd wait a few months and try to buy low. If you're wrong, or Poly2 is a screaming deal, or change your mind, you sell and keep your direct points.

Or wait for Poly2 to launch, and then buy Poly1 resale.

Heck, in your scenario, I'd consider a small SSR just to get more waitlists and a new UY. You actually don't want to match up your UY.

I have my phone set to make a special ringtone when I get an email from DVC about a reservation, so I know when the waitlist fills.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter