DVC interest...a bargain or a waste?

So here's my next query. These contracts all have different expiration dates, with my preference the Beach Club expiring 15 years sooner than many others. Is there a reason there isn't a large price disparity between the BC and others that last significantly longer? As I stated earlier, we do prefer the EPCOT resorts at Yacht & Beach Club, and most here seem to indicate switching to Beach Club would be tough if I select a different home resort. But buying a resale DVC seems to be wiser to go with one expiring in 2060 or later, or am I wrong? And is it REALLY that difficult to switch to BC at the 7 month mark?

Also, what site would you folks recommend for buying a resale DVC? It seems allears.net prefers dvcbyresale.com, but what are your thoughts?

I think it's wrong to go into purchasing a DVC contract as a sound, money saving investment. I know I'll get a lot of flack for this, but I own two DVC contracts because I wanted to be a DVC member and I can afford it. I like the idea of having our vacations (think, "hotels") paid for many years to come as I know we will still be going to WDW for many years. We typically purchase APs and haven't done the DP for years…and we don't miss it at all. We like eating what we want, where and when we want without the stress of trying to maximize the DP.

I think you can crunch numbers and try to figure out which is the better deal down to the nickel and dime, but then I think you're missing the whole point of being a DVC member.

The point of owning DVC is to save money, otherwise you might as well book at the cash rate and have way more flexibility and most likely better availability.

I bought DVC because after adding up the fees and taxes involved with getting Value Resorts, I realized that I could buy DVC resale and pay less than $20 more per night for Deluxe accommodations on the monorail. We hate the bus system, so for us, the decision comes down to comfort and accessibility. Since it tends to retain its value, it's something I can resale later if it no longer is a product I want. In the meantime, I will be using it every year.

So here's my next query. These contracts all have different expiration dates, with my preference the Beach Club expiring 15 years sooner than many others. Is there a reason there isn't a large price disparity between the BC and others that last significantly longer? As I stated earlier, we do prefer the EPCOT resorts at Yacht & Beach Club, and most here seem to indicate switching to Beach Club would be tough if I select a different home resort. But buying a resale DVC seems to be wiser to go with one expiring in 2060 or later, or am I wrong? And is it REALLY that difficult to switch to BC at the 7 month mark?

Also, what site would you folks recommend for buying a resale DVC? It seems allears.net prefers dvcbyresale.com, but what are your thoughts?
BCV commands a higher price because it’s a desirable location with a very attractive points chart. People who buy there pay the price because that’s where they want to stay.

Yes, BCV can be difficult to book...especially studios. Many people who purchased small contracts at BCV, bought specifically for the studios. During Fall Frenzy and Run Disney weekends, school holidays, and other high-demand times, you really have to own there to get a studio. 1BR villas tend to remain available longer but even those can disappear quickly at 7 months.

A resort with a later expiration date is fine if you don’t mind staying there most of the time. It’s possible to switch out at 7 months but can be very difficult at certain times. So buy where you don’t mind staying and you won’t be disappointed.

ETA: @skier_pete has done an excellent job of putting availability data into chart form. You can find it in this thread.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...-bd-charts-september-2019-2-bd-added.3689931/

Last edited:
It is usually hard transfer to bcv at 7 months. You might get a day or 2 here and there. It is a smaller resort. We bought akv because we like it a lot, are fine to stay there if 7 months doesn’t work out, and it had a longer end date of 2057. Akv was about the same as ssr and much less than blt And gfv. We can usually get ssr okw and sometimes blt bwv. Random poly studios. Less likely bcv.
At 2020, End date of bcv at 2042 only has 22 years. Many of us assume that we’ll likely get a good portion of our capital back on resale or plan to transfer to kids later. With 22 years, that’s Probably not the assumption. The market has not absorbed that yet imho. The pricing has remained similar despite years ticking away. I’ve owned for almost 15 years and am surprised that there has not started to be more of a discount. In 10 years, I’d expect it to.

I can see how multiple vacations annually would probably see a savings if we went with annual passes for parks, but a single vacation doesn't seem to make financial sense. Can anybody speak specifically to the charges or discounts available for park hopper tickets when not purchased through a Disney resort vacation package?

Also, thanks for the comments. I'm truly trying to figure out every angle here before investing in a DVC. As I said, I totally get the mental perk in owning a piece of Disney but the park tickets and dining are something I need to figure out, as it's become a huge part of our vacations there. I'd hate to revert back to standard dining.
We generally go once a year. I purchase an annual pass and make sure that next year's vacation is just inside the window. Another great way to save on tickets is buy tickets through Undercover Touris or Tickets at Work.

Since you want 300+ points, I suggest purchasing 200 resale (watch the DIS Unplugged videos about use year) and then buy 100 points Direct (Disney will match your resale use year). This way you can get the AP's at a discount (which is very significant). With the amount you'll be saving in lodging it will pay for the dining plan. And definitely, look into Tables in Wonderland. It saves you 20% on Table Service dining at the vast majority of restaurants including Swan/Dolphin. We always spend less with TiW than with the dining plan, especially at Signature restaurants.

Others answered why Beach Club is awesome. I definitely would not buy BCV direct. $225 is insane. I used dvcstore. They do a great job and their preferred Title company is excellent and FAST.

For those who mentioned the Tables in Wonderland discounts, could you elaborate a bit? I'd like to understand annual costs and real discount benefits. It appears you mostly prefer this program to purchasing the dining plans.
Tables in Wonderland is a dining discount card. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/tables-in-wonderland/
It costs $175 for Florida residents and $150 for DVC members members (resale members are included) and/or Annual Passholders.

BCV commands a premium because it is hard to switch to and has a dedicated fan base. You will not regularly get BCV at 7 months owning elsewhere.

And you probably will not get BWV as a backup every time either - particularly if you are ever interested in going over Food and Wine.

Plan on staying at your home resort - and if you can switch, look at it as a bonus. If you own a long time, and are flexible in when and how you reserve, you'll be able to stay pretty much anywhere - but for any given trip, your chances of getting your first choice non-home resort are less than 100% - and if your first choice non-home choice is a BCV studio, its far less than 100%

And that's why BCV contracts are sold at such a high premium - and that means that those owners who paid that premium are likely to book during the home resort booking window and stay at BCV - which means that many fewer rooms are open for everyone else at 7 months - its a self feeding system.

(I think you are a poor choice for DVC - it isn't going to really save you money because it will change how you do Disney, its going to decrease your flexibility, and you like hotels. In the end, DVC rooms are less frequently refreshed than their hotel counterparts, they don't get daily housekeeping, and their policies aren't flexible. You strike me as the sort of person who is going to want the hotel experience and be disappointed when you find you have a timeshare - not a good deal on a hotel.)

All very great feedback. So while you save money on pre-paid vacations (that is what it is at its core), many will probably agree, you will spend it other ways. We loved Disney, stayed off-site and went when we could. My MIL took us and we needed something bigger and closer to MK (she needs a scooter). We paid cash for BLT (ouch looking back). We saw what we were spending in cash and realized how quickly DVC could save us in the long-run. I am a data guys and we are one stay away from breaking even in about 5 years.

So here comes the expense part nobody has mentioned.

We bought DVC. We felt like, we don't have to pay to stay. So we started going more. We realized it made sense to buy annual passes. We started to go more. We then felt like we weren't paying to stay or go to the parks each time so we would go more often or longer. We then needed more points. We bought two more contracts after our first one we thought would last us till 2060. When you feel like you aren't laying out costs to stay or play (and we fly for free since we charge everything to an airline card) so we buy more stuff, or pay for more upcharge events, etc. So sure we are saving but the mouse is taking it out of our wallet in other ways. All good problems but this is pixie dust cycle!

These contracts all have different expiration dates, with my preference the Beach Club expiring 15 years sooner than many others. Is there a reason there isn't a large price disparity between the BC and others that last significantly longer?

I own at Poly, BLT and AKV. I would buy Beach Club OR Boardwalk Villas IN A HEARTBEAT, if they had a longer expiration date. They are both GREAT LOCATIONS, and beautiful resorts. For instance, I DEFINITELY prefer Boardwalk Villas to Riviera. BUT, they do expire 'so soon,' and I just can't see it being worthwhile to buy there now, when there are so many other great locations to buy, that last a lot longer. I understand why people do it. I'm not even saying that they are overpriced for what you will get. But it is too much for me.

As for which broker to go with? I have bought 8 different contracts through 4 different brokers and I had a deal that I tried to buy through a 5th broker, but the people pulled out after I made my offer. So, I guess I am just saying that ALL the brokers that are fairly 'standard' and are not unknown, are probably reasonable to work with. I base my purchases much more on price for what I want, than which broker has the listing.

Latest posts

facebook twitter