DVC Annual Passes - Upgrade Question

Disneymom20

Earning My Ears
Hi!

I apologize if this question has been asked before! I couldn't find the answer and hoping this group could help!

We are looking at purchasing gold passes for our upcoming trip - still working the math out with the new prices! Eeek!! We are considering returning at Christmas to see the Star Wars but won't know for sure until September or so once the kids are back in school and see their schedules.

Question...can we upgrade to the Platinum passes at that time to cover Christmas? What would we pay the new cost or renewal cost? Is it prorated or the expiry extended? Thanks!

Yes, you can upgrade. It will be the purchase price, not the upgrade price. It is not prorated. The upgrade cost is the same on day 1 as it is on day 364 if you upgrade.

Just keep in mind that upgrades must be done in person. That means no advance fast-passes for your Christmas trip since your gold pass is blacked out during that time.

........(snip)........Just keep in mind that upgrades must be done in person. That means no advance fast-passes for your Christmas trip since your gold pass is blacked out during that time.
For that reason alone, I'd encourage you to decide before you leave WDW on your upcoming trip. Unless your plan for the Christmas trip is only for decorations and shows, it won't be much fun at all to not have at least the daily 3 FP+ reservations. There won't be much left day of, that's for sure.

Last edited:
The big issue (and I really do not know why Disney does this - it seems to violate a few Keys To The Kingdom principles) - is the has to be done in person issue, cause as stated, that shuts down fast passes.

However, as a very inconvenient alternative, you could buy additional tickets to cover the Christmas days make your fast passes, upgrade the APs BEFORE you use the new tickets, then upgrade the new tickets to renewals when the time comes. But this is like a fail safe. As CarolMN said, best to decide before you leave the world.

I have a similar question. We have reservations at BWV 12/15-20. I also have trip to BCV planned in February and was planning trip next fall so was planning to buy Gold Pass for the 3 trips. I noticed that gold pass was blacked out on 12/19. If I bought 5 day tickets, could I then upgrade to Gold on 12/19 after using tickets or do I have to upgrade before last day?
Also as CarolMn mentioned above I would have to buy tickets before December trip in order to obtain FP's so gold pass would not do me any good since have to activate in person.

I have a similar question. We have reservations at BWV 12/15-20. I also have trip to BCV planned in February and was planning trip next fall so was planning to buy Gold Pass for the 3 trips. I noticed that gold pass was blacked out on 12/19. If I bought 5 day tickets, could I then upgrade to Gold on 12/19 after using tickets or do I have to upgrade before last day?
Also as CarolMn mentioned above I would have to buy tickets before December trip in order to obtain FP's so gold pass would not do me any good since have to activate in person.
It’s fine to upgrade to Gold on 12/19 or 12/20 after you entered your last park for the last time. (Your gold pass will have a 12/15 start date, and you’ll get all your photopass photos “unlocked”..but you’ll miss and AP discounts before the upgrade)

Once you assign your gold passes on your MDE, it allows you to make FP+ just like a regular ticket before activation, though I expect it won't let you make them for 12/19-20 since that's on blackout.

Once you assign your gold passes on your MDE, it allows you to make FP+ just like a regular ticket before activation, though I expect it won't let you make them for 12/19-20 since that's on blackout.
Correct. It won't. You need a valid ticket linked to MDE to make FP+ reservations.

Gosh, my memory may be wrong, but I seem to remember switching between Platinum and Platinum Plus when I was in my renewal window and just paying the renewal price for Platinum Plus. Are you talking about upgrading when you are NOT in your renewal window?

Gosh, my memory may be wrong, but I seem to remember switching between Platinum and Platinum Plus when I was in my renewal window and just paying the renewal price for Platinum Plus. Are you talking about upgrading when you are NOT in your renewal window?
The OP is asking about upgrading the AP to a higher level during the year, not at renewal time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter