DVC advertising spurned us!

Val

<font color=purple>If a doggie offers to share his
Okay, I never posted anything about this, but the DVC advertising contacted me via email and asked if my family would be willing to participate in a commercial. We were going down near the mid/end of July and agreed to meet with their advertising group. We agreed to a 9 AM meeting. It was IMMEDIATELY apparent to us that we were NOT the family they were looking for- my husband and I are plus size, my oldest is a little Avril Lavigne, and my kids are cute, but not necessarily coordinated and calm.....no matching luggage, no Brady Bunch appeal, just a group of typical midwestern visitors. They asked us NO questions about where we were from, what we did, or why we were intersted in DVC. Wanted to know our height, weight, age, and if we had any photos of ourselves. No problem, we expected as much, knowing that they would want a "better" demographic and basically chocked it up to "maybe a free fruit basket". The "advertising team" went through the motions of getting our measurements for clothing, etc. We spent about 1.5 hours meeting with them during PRIME park time.....we were finished at about 11 AM, much too late for early entry, so it blew an early entry day. They asked us to reserve the next few days for the photo shoot and to not plan PS's or anything (we didn't listen, by the way). We received a phone call the late next day stating that the "shoot had been unexpectedly cancelled" and that we hoped we enjoyed our stay. Thank goodness we DIDN'T cancel our PS's , etc. No thankyou, no thank you for your time note, no compensation for the lost park time, no nothing.

I emailed the contact person and suggested that maybe our time was worth a little more than "gee, the shoot was moved". Her response was "gee, those things happen". Am I out of line? Should we expect at LEAST a thank you for participating note? Or am I just a sore DVC member? Or should I have been a better consumer and smelled a rat? Thoughts?

It sounds like a disappointing experience. I think you've done all you can do since you brought it to their attention. No compensation was promised and, I guess, none given. A little something for your time would have been nice.

On one Vero trip they were shooting around the resort. My Mom spent quite a bit of time being taped in one of the Beach Houses. I have no idea whether they ever used her or not. We did not receive anything for our time that day either.

A lunch would have been nice, I suppose.

What if you HAD cancelled your PS'S?

It sounds like you have a great attitude about the whole thing and had a wonderful trip.

:D

Originally posted by Val
Okay, I never posted anything about this, but the DVC advertising contacted me via email and asked if my family would be willing to participate in a commercial. We were going down near the mid/end of July and agreed to meet with their advertising group. We agreed to a 9 AM meeting. It was IMMEDIATELY apparent to us that we were NOT the family they were looking for- my husband and I are plus size, my oldest is a little Avril Lavigne, and my kids are cute, but not necessarily coordinated and calm.....no matching luggage, no Brady Bunch appeal, just a group of typical midwestern visitors. They asked us NO questions about where we were from, what we did, or why we were intersted in DVC. Wanted to know our height, weight, age, and if we had any photos of ourselves. No problem, we expected as much, knowing that they would want a "better" demographic and basically chocked it up to "maybe a free fruit basket". The "advertising team" went through the motions of getting our measurements for clothing, etc. We spent about 1.5 hours meeting with them during PRIME park time.....we were finished at about 11 AM, much too late for early entry, so it blew an early entry day. They asked us to reserve the next few days for the photo shoot and to not plan PS's or anything (we didn't listen, by the way). We received a phone call the late next day stating that the "shoot had been unexpectedly cancelled" and that we hoped we enjoyed our stay. Thank goodness we DIDN'T cancel our PS's , etc. No thankyou, no thank you for your time note, no compensation for the lost park time, no nothing.

I emailed the contact person and suggested that maybe our time was worth a little more than "gee, the shoot was moved". Her response was "gee, those things happen". Am I out of line? Should we expect at LEAST a thank you for participating note? Or am I just a sore DVC member? Or should I have been a better consumer and smelled a rat? Thoughts?

You volunteered, why would you expect compensation?

Originally posted by Val
Am I out of line? Should we expect at LEAST a thank you for participating note?
To answer your question, no, you were not out of line.
I would have also expected a "Thank You". :cool:

I would be very upset about this as well. You have every right to feel the way you do. This is something that I personally would complain about because anything that would take away from my vacation time and was not compensated for is a negative. Sorry that had to happen to you and your family.

While I don't necessarily agree that you should have been compensated (I don't disagree, either though...), a thank you is just plain good manners. WHere is Mrs. Disney? I would have thought that she taught them better manners... BTW, My feelings would have been a bit hurt too, if they'd blown me off.

I had asked my guide a question about those people in the videos. I think it was something about their clothes(notice they ALL have DVC shirts on). She had told me that DVC CAN NOT pay them anything, and can only offer them a shirt(or other clothing) for compensation. It even says so at the end of the video.

I'm not sure, but I think if they would have compensated you with more than the shirt, that might be construed as a payoff. I'd be happy with a free shirt, but not if I didn't make the video:( The video to me would be priceless.

You have every right to expect a better attitude than "gee, those things happen". If that was delivered to you in a "take a hike" attitude, then it's entirely inappropriate.

I don't think Disney "owed" you anything more than a nicer send off, and an expression of regret that your time spent did not end up with your family being filmed.

And of course, it's entirely possible that they did in fact cancel the shoot the next day.

Yes, I think you deserved at least a "thank you for participating" note. But the people making commercials aren't necessarily front-line CM's who have been trained on how to treat guests.

Welcome to the cold heartless world of show business. Next time tell them to contact your agent. ;)

I understand about the compensation, but I would have liked a "thank you for your time" and a card or something.....the attitude of the person in charge was, well, rude. It has really soured us on the "Disney DVC Experience". Made us realize that DVC really doesn't care abou their customers, just in selling. In all truthfulness, this has made a strong loyalty to Disney and DVC go right out the window. At least they could have said thank you on the message!

Just wondering was the production company part of Disney or were they a contracted company?

I am with ericthewise and BEACHCLUBVILLAS.

The spokesperson is from Disney, the shoot group was from Chicago. We barely spoke to the "shoot group", our contact has all been through the Disney advertising person (phone number is Disney, email address is Disney). Guess that's why I was so surprised, as this person IS supposedly a CM!

Thanks for all your responses....guess we were a little naive. We didn't expect to get anything, or even be in the commercial, but I did expect to be treated with civility.

That is sad. They should have treted you better reguardless.

LIke another poster said, what if you HADN'T made any PS??? You would think they would at least have offered you a PS somewhere for your inconvenience!

It was put best above....Didn't Walt or his Mom teach these CM's anything at all....

Very very very poor treatment.....

:mad:

Thanks
jaysue

Your story made me smile because my family would also be instantly rejected. We are too imperfect to be in a commercial! I always giggle at the DVC ads because the familes look so fake... The real familes at WDW are hot and sumburned and the kids are whiny and tired and everyone's clothes are wrinkled from being shoved in the suitcase...

I am sorry they were rude to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter