DVC advertising spurned us!

Originally posted by smvdelv
LIke another poster said, what if you HADN'T made any PS??? You would think they would at least have offered you a PS somewhere for your inconvenience!

When we bought into DVC last year, we received two fastpasses per person because of the time we spent "closing" our purchase. They could have at least done that.

Sorry about your experience.

I think you should contact someone about it at DVC and voice your feelings about it definitely. I think DVC would like to know that you felt this way.

During the DVC 10th Anniversary Cruise last year my family was "selected" for a photo shoot while we were waiting to embark. The experience had it positives and negatives. The shoot was scheduled for the Nassau day and required about 4 hours of our time (which was probably 3 hours too many for our 6 and 3 year-olds!). There was a lot of changing of shirts (wrong colors, too tight, too loose, etc. etc.) and we ended up getting a few "gifts" - t-shirts, hats, and nice thank-you note.

We got a private tour in Nassau and there was Tourist officials coordinating the whole thing. They actually had to stop traffic while our horse-drawn carriage went down the streets so they could get the "right" picture. The residents/drivers didn't seem too thrilled! For us, it got a bit old pretty quick, but we did get a free tour of Nassau and they gave us cab fare to get back.

The biggest negative - what ever happened to those pictures? It's odd not knowing where they may end up or if they were scrapped.

hmansure- That is so cool that you were selected, AND treated fair. The private tour must have been nice. Did you ever see yourself/family in a video or brochure? Too bad if you haven't. I would definitly be calling the ad company to find out where your pics went.

As a collector of Disney Ad Videos I think its kind of a shame how they have the SAME PEOPLE in the videos year after year after year after year...... I'm very bored with it.

It would be nice if they "spread the ads around" (so to speak). Think of how many families would be thrilled by this, heck even friends, neighbors, co-workers etc, etc. JMHO.

While I wouldn't expect you to *expect* any sort of compensation (monetarily or small gift), I do believe that you were at least entitled to a "Thank You for your time". It doesn't cost anything to be polite and thank someone for their time.

Originally posted by BEACHCLUBVILLAS
If Disney advertising calls to schedule a shoot "Gee I'm busy vacationing."

LOL. DVC must think it's a real honor to waste your vacation time, receive nothing for it, and have your pictures end up in the trash. You think they would a least send you the copies of the pictures as a souvenier.

If they call, maybe you could respond by saying you'ld be happy to be in their pictures/video...AFTER your vacation is over. Ask them which DVC resort will they put you up in while you extend your stay to accomodate the photoshoot??

If the "cut and paste" fake family on the cover of the current members book is the best they can do, I think they could save a lot of money by simply requesting copies of favorite DVC family photos from members to use in the advertising.

This woudl have made me very upset! They shoudl have least have offered your family lunch or even a thank you for your time, I know it is vaulable family vacation time....
If they want the perfect dream family that doesn't exsist then they need to hire soem actors and put a tiny diclaimer at the bottom of their promos.
I will aslo note that if I'm ever called I'll be too busy with my family ahving fun to take time out for some unthankful DVC promtion department. GEEZ...

I would be upset too if I didn't receive a "Thank you for your time...we're so sorry about the photo shoot" type of note. You took time out of YOUR vacation to help them, I would expect a cm in that position to have decent manners to say and write a thank you and an apology for the cancellation. I understand your disappointed feelings... I think they are very warrented.

This is a lesson for all of us.

If asked, I would refuse unless they planned the shoot on the day AFTER our vacation and compensated for the extra lodging and meal expenses. Don't give away your vacation.

I don't care to be in a DVC commercial anyway.

The fake families in the ads just "look" the part. You never know what's up with anyone, no matter how good they look. A coworker of my hubby's sent us a lovely Xmas photo card last year. The kids are gorgeous and they had matching outfits; even Mom, Dad and Grandpa are in the photo too and everyone is color-coordinated and photogenic. The card really kind of freaked me out -- I can't even get my kids over to Walmart for a cheesy portrait! It just made me think "Wow, some families really have their act together."

So last night DH tells me that the coworker shared with him that she is in the proces of a divorce. It seems that "perfect" husband was involved in repeated affairs and they are now divorcing. WOW... really put things into perspective for me. My family is SO not picture-perfect, but we are faithful to one another and have more blessings than we can count. I am glad we are a happy, if not ad-worthy, family!

Count me with those that think you are owed at least an apology. We read posts on this board all the time, cases of free dinners because people get into their rooms a little late, $100 disney dollars just for taking the DVC tour, and several other instances where people have gotten something for nothing. You gave your vacation time away, and got nothing in return. Frankly, I'd be a little bitter too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter