Drop some lbs before the big day! (Better???)

I have been doing south beach , lost 20 lbs in 1 month , it is crazy how addicted to sugars we can be without realizing it !
My cravings have all dissapeared , the first week is a bit of a struggle while you reset the metabolism , but after, the energy is incredible , my moods were easier to control.
now I am eating whole grain steel cut oats for breakfast , lean proteins and a newfound love for veggies , I am amazed myself.
I Canadian , we don't have Auntie Annies pretzels at home, always a weakness of mine , so last weekend , we went to the states ,as I walked by, I decided I would treat myself to some pretzel bites , bought 1 serving , ate about 4 of them, slowly and happily and gave the rest to DF without issue ,I would have inhaled the whole thing before and wanted more , but I was just fine with the little fix. Usually this would have a snowball effect where I would start to slide slowly , but I am even more resolved and happy to be healthy !
shop the outside isles of your grocery store , stay away from anything processed(including fiber 1 bars or any of those things), high fructose corn syrup is evil, eat whole foods and whole grains, low fat and you have a winning solution!
now I want to start the couch to 5K program and some crunches !

We exercised every single morning during the work week. Yup, it is doable.

DH and I would get up, go to the gym together (it is deserted that early, so we loved it!), come back home, have a breakfast of whole a whole wheat bagel thin with low fat cream cheese and a slice of black forest ham, a cup of coffee and plenty of water.

Then I would fix us lunch, normally a serving of veggies, a whole grain (brown rice or whole grain pasta, etc), a protein and a fruit. I would also pack us a snack and a big bottle of water.

Then for dinner we would have something light like a small sandwich with whole wheat bread, little mayo, low-fat cheese, lots of lettuce and tomato, etc or a nice salad and minestrone type soup.

We didn't drink sodas or barely any alcohol, if we did maybe every other weekend during one of our impromptu dinner dates. I skipped most cakes/donuts/sweets at the office but did partake on time to time just because.

I lost enough weight to fit on a dress 2 sizes smaller than when we started planning and we have kept the routine without problems, really doesn't feel bad at all. The working out in the mornings gives us both energy for the workday, makes us more alert and productive and it feels awesome to come home and know you are DONE!

Not gonna lie though, getting your body on board to wake up THAT early might be an uphill battle for the first month, but once you get used to it, it becomes a bit of an addiction.

To get myself out of bed I'd just either use positive or negative reinforcement, I would imagine myself fitting into my beautiful dress, no problem (I bought it 1 size smaller), or I would imagine myself NOT fitting :scared1: if the positive reinforcement didn't kick me out of bed, well that surely did! :rotfl2:

When I stick within my points and drink all my fluids, the program still works like a dream! If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me.

I completely agree with you about fad/short-term diets.. and congratulations on your success with WW!

Just wondering when you say "drink all your fluids" how much you are supposed to drink a day? And what kind of fluids? Just water? Unfortunately since I've started a desk based job I drink a lot less water, and have wondered if that's made it more difficult for me to lose the last few kg's I've been trying to.. Thank you!

I have found that working out at night, somewhere from 6 to 8 pm, curbs any hunger or cravings I might be having, whereas working out in the mornings usually upped my appetite for the day. I'm not dieting yet, I plan on starting May 1st also (after finals) to try to lose 20-30 lbs. before my wedding, and then continue after that. When I was dieting before I only drank water. I really don't like the taste of plain water so I always put lemon or lime juice in it and it makes it so much easier for me to drink. My workout only consists of walking 35-50 minutes a day, 5-6 days a week, at a semi-fast pace. I can't do any high impact workouts like running or anything because my knee is messed up. Last November I started doing the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and after 2 weeks I had to stop because my knee was getting messed up (the workout is not what messed it up, it was already messed up from years ago and the high impact workouts were making it inflamed again). I do recommend the 30 Day Shred though for anyone looking to shape up and lose inches as opposed to losing weight. I noticed I was getting a lot stronger and could feel it in my muscles, but I didn't lose any weight on it. But I also was not dieting, just eating as I normally would.

I need to lose about 84 pounds... i just have NO motivation.

we need to start our own team :sad2:

i need to lose about 70... but would be happy with 55--still that number is insanity. the fact that medical issues made this happen just makes me irrate.

working 2 jobs makes things very rough. i wake up at 5:45am for job number 1, get home from job number 2 at 9:30pm and haven't had dinner yet because there's no time in between. the 1 or 2 nights i'm off is for the grocery store, laundry and cleaning. everything i read involves salads (which i don't eat) and snacking on nuts (which i'm allergic to) and fruits--which i'm allergic to most. i feel like i'm at a total loss :(

we go to wdw in 2 weeks.... when i come back.... things MUST change. we can do this!!

i need to lose about 70... but would be happy with 55--still that number is insanity. the fact that medical issues made this happen just makes me irrate.

working 2 jobs makes things very rough. i wake up at 5:45am for job number 1, get home from job number 2 at 9:30pm and haven't had dinner yet because there's no time in between. the 1 or 2 nights i'm off is for the grocery store, laundry and cleaning. everything i read involves salads (which i don't eat) and snacking on nuts (which i'm allergic to) and fruits--which i'm allergic to most. i feel like i'm at a total loss :(

we go to wdw in 2 weeks.... when i come back.... things MUST change. we can do this!!

That is a rough schedule and food allergies can make eating healthy more of a challenge. How about snacks like carrot sticks or light string cheese? I also like to eat slimfast bars. The new chocolate mint ones are very good and only 100 calories.

When you're at work, do you have the opportunity to take a break and go for a walk? Walking is a great calorie burner. I know you probably just want to sit and rest on your breaks but a quick 10 minute walk can boost your energy level and help reduce stress (well, it does for me anyway).

If we all support each other and keep posting our stories, it will be easier for all of us to reach or maintain our goals. :goodvibes :hug:

Another good tip that I've tried before and really did help was juicing. I would have cereal for breakfast and then make a veg and fruit juice to take to work with me. If I drink it slowly throughout the morning then I didn't feel the need to eat loads at lunchtime. It also made me feel full of energy and may skin was much clearer. Here's what I put in, although you can juice almost anything:

3 green apples for sweetness
big handfull of spinach
half a cucumber
2 carrots
stick of celery
slice of lemon and a small slice of ginger to give it a little kick!

Mmm this sounds good I will def try this! Thanks for the recipie :thumbsup2

Not gonna lie though, getting your body on board to wake up THAT early might be an uphill battle for the first month, but once you get used to it, it becomes a bit of an addiction.

To get myself out of bed I'd just either use positive or negative reinforcement, I would imagine myself fitting into my beautiful dress, no problem (I bought it 1 size smaller), or I would imagine myself NOT fitting :scared1: if the positive reinforcement didn't kick me out of bed, well that surely did! :rotfl2:

I try soooo hard to get up before work and work out and I simply cannot get myself to do it!!! I hit my snooze button and roll over every time!! Urgg I need to figure something else out cause I would much rather do this. :confused3

I need to lose about 84 pounds... i just have NO motivation.

Use your wedding as motivation and we will help you!!! Post your diets and work out plans (even if you dont have one) and we can help you adjust! And post your progress on here every week or so!

You can do it :cool1:

The last time I droped about 30lbs I dont think I ever ate a salad. And in fact alot of people eat salads because they think its low calorie and helps you diet but then they dump ranch or blue cheese on the thing and they might as well have gotten a better meal. Just make sure you are having a lean protien and a dark/bright colored vegtable for your meals.

As far as snacks, cut up fruits and veggies or get things like crackers with cheese and ham/peperoni/salami for the day. I like to bring oranges especially cause they make everything smell good when you eat them :goodvibes

You can do it!!!

That is a rough schedule and food allergies can make eating healthy more of a challenge. How about snacks like carrot sticks or light string cheese? I also like to eat slimfast bars. The new chocolate mint ones are very good and only 100 calories.

When you're at work, do you have the opportunity to take a break and go for a walk? Walking is a great calorie burner. I know you probably just want to sit and rest on your breaks but a quick 10 minute walk can boost your energy level and help reduce stress (well, it does for me anyway).

If we all support each other and keep posting our stories, it will be easier for all of us to reach or maintain our goals. :goodvibes :hug:

I def suggest this!! I do walks on my lunch breaks too (i tired to hit the gym but it wasnt enough time). I just bring a pair of tennies and go for a 15 min walk around the area with a co worker. It clears my head, makes the second part of my day go a little quicker, and helps me to burn a few calories :)

I can understand where your coming from because I have a stomach condition that makes it so I can't eat things that are normally healthy for you, like raw veggies, fruits, whole grains etc. My stomach just doesn't digest well and does a lot better with non-whole grains and nothing with insoluble fiber, like fruits & veggies. But so far since January I have lost 21lbs using SparkPeople and tracking my calories. Oh and also excercising A LOT. It's not easy, but it is possible to live healthy and lose weight with restrictions such as those. One thing I like to remind myself of is that I have the choice to make healthy decisions and I choose what goes into my body or how often I workout, nobody else. It's a choice we have to make and the trick is to make the better choices more often then the bad choices. :cheer2:

Setting small goals can really make a difference. 70, or even 55, can seem very overwhelming. If you can focus on losing 5 or 10, it's a lot more manageable. And you will obviously get to that goal quicker, which makes you more likely to reinforce your new habits! You got this girl! If your weight gain was medically related, maybe you could ask your doctor for some recommendations too?

I dropped about 30 pounds just by tweaking my diet. I literally just stopped eating crap (and so much of it) and the weight melted off. And I am not a salad girl either! DF and I do a lot of crock pot meals.... we literally throw chicken, beans, tomatoes, whatever else we have lying around in a crock pot and let it cook while we're at work. It takes about ten minutes to prep and provides a really healthy, substantial meal. I have managed to keep this weight off for the past 4 years just by not eating as much. And now it has been much easier for me to get in the groove of exercising to tone up my body.

I don't think that eating all those diet foods (slimfast, south beach bars, etc.) is really that great for you. I tried Slimfast on several occasions, and I was always starving. Those shakes never filled me up. You can throw some yogurt and fruit and ice in a blender and make a shake that is way more filling, and much better for you. Same with all those "bars". They did nothing to quell my hunger. And at the end of the day, I would rather eat Thin Mints then a diet bar, and they have practically the same amount of calories! When it comes to stuff like alcohol.... many people cut it out all together, which is fine, but sometimes I just need a freaking beer! Cutting that out is not realistic to me (sad but true). So I swapped my Coronas out for Mich Ultras, and viola! Calories cut!

:thumbsup2

south beach doesn't make bars anymore... it is also just eat low fat and good carbs , even allows for that once in awhile beer :goodvibes

I was doing the "Tammy's own" WiiFit plan (cutting down on sweets and eating more fresh fruits and vegetables and exercising 15 minutes on busy days and 30+ minutes on slower days), but I fell out of my routine after spring break. I had lost, and maintained, 12lbs without feeling like I was making big changes or sacrifices.

Staring in June (after graduation and our move), I'm going back to this plan since it worked for me. I have a heart condition, so I can't run or do anything too over the top, but the walking and varying low level aerobics on the Wii are great.

Anyone have any good exercises for 'arm flab' and flattening the tummy? These seem to be the only two places I can't work on. :confused3

Make sure you are drinking enought water. I like to keep veggies around--carrot sticks, raw green beans, celery, cooked broccoli and asparagas. They are healthy to snack on and I found that now that I'm eating that, I don't feel like sweets.

I can understand where your coming from because I have a stomach condition that makes it so I can't eat things that are normally healthy for you, like raw veggies, fruits, whole grains etc. My stomach just doesn't digest well and does a lot better with non-whole grains and nothing with insoluble fiber, like fruits & veggies. But so far since January I have lost 21lbs using SparkPeople and tracking my calories. Oh and also excercising A LOT. It's not easy, but it is possible to live healthy and lose weight with restrictions such as those. One thing I like to remind myself of is that I have the choice to make healthy decisions and I choose what goes into my body or how often I workout, nobody else. It's a choice we have to make and the trick is to make the better choices more often then the bad choices. :cheer2:

I just wanted to share my support :hug:, one of my sisters suffers from a similar condition that is extraordinarily debilitating. It is such a struggle for her, and the rest of us... I'm glad you're finding something that works for you.

Hi Girls! I'm new to this board. My Disney Honeymoon is this September (exactly one year after my MK engagement!) and I am trying to lose 10-15 lbs before my 9/3/11 wedding. I hadn't taken my dieting very seriously...until I got a call from my bridal shop saying that my dress had arrived! Somehow the knowledge that my dress was in town made it very REAL that I needed to drop some lbs.

Here is what me and DF are doing to drop some lbs: PALEO. You can google it. It's basically a way of eating based on what "cavemen" ate before the agricultural and industrial revolution--basically what humans were evolved to eat. Yes, I'm sure it may sound crazy, but the more you look into it, the more it makes sense. We have been doing it for three weeks and we both feel AWESOME. I'm already seeing some lbs melt away.

Here is what you eat: meat (all kinds, lean and fatty), vegetables (lots!), fruit (some...not too many if you are trying to lose weight...focus on berries), nuts (again, not tons and tons, but some), seeds. Healthy fats like olive oil, coconut oil, avocados. We also try to only eat grass fed beef because it is much healthier for you.

Here is what you don't eat: breads, pasta (nothing with gluten...gluten triggers an insulin response that makes you more hungry), rice, corn, soy, sugar. You also shouldn't eat dairy, but we put milk in our coffee and eat cheese. I live in WI so we couldn't give that up!

I LOVE all types of grains especially oatmeal and pasta, so the first few days were tough. That said, you feel amazing once you stick with this diet and your food cravings go way down. I used to eat oatmeal for breakfast and feel famished by 10am. Now I eat an omlette with spinach and feta and I don't get hungry until after noon. Carbs really spike your insulin, so limiting them makes you less hungry throughout the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter