Driving time into and out of Ko Olina?

J-Dog

A Nobody
So, we are still in the planning phase for our upcoming Waikiki/Aulani trip, and trying to time stuff as accurately as possible.

My question - I have read that the traffic in the area around Ko Olina and Kapolei gets pretty badly congested at certain times of the day. So, with that in mind, can anyone offer any experienced advice as to how accurate that the drive-time estimates on websites like Google Maps are for that area?

I have multiple reasons for asking, but that main reason is because we plan to drive from staying at the Hyatt Regency in Waikiki to Aulani in the morning to drop-off our bags, and then back-track to Pearl Harbor, and am trying to guestimate how close I need to be to reserve a time for the USS Arizona. Google Maps states that the drive time between Waikiki and Aulani is somewhere around 45 minutes, and about 30 minutes from Aulani back to Pearl Harbor. I know that Google Maps is supposed to use an algorithm for traffic, but I have no idea how accurate that is.

So I guess the question is - if Google Maps says that the drive time is 45 minutes to Ko Olina, and we happen to hit rush hour traffic, could the drive time potentially be something like 50 minutes (semi-close)? Or will it be more like an hour and a half (way off from the estimate)?

Any advice/experience would be appreciated.

My question - I have read that the traffic in the area around Ko Olina and Kapolei gets pretty badly congested at certain times of the day. So, with that in mind, can anyone offer any experienced advice as to how accurate that the drive-time estimates on websites like Google Maps are for that area?
You'll find traffic to follow a typical work commute. However, the travel around the local Ko Olina and Kapolei area really isn't affected. It's only when you start driving to/from the airport or Waikiki that you need to be concerned about traffic. For those trips, you'll find traffic in the morning heading to Waikiki/airport area. Opposite in the evening.

It’s about 40 minutes. If k were you, I’d leave my bags at the Hyatt and pick them up after my tour.
Thanks for the help. The reason for driving the bags to Aulani is because I am not a great city driver as it is, and don't really want to have to drive back into Honolulu just to pick up our bags and then go to Aulani that night. Much rather drive to Aulani twice than into Honolulu twice.

So, if it's about 40 minutes and that is relatively consistent, then I think I can plan it out. But if that 40 minutes tends to vary dramatically based on traffic - that's when I foresee my plan having a problem.

Thanks again.

So I guess the question is - if Google Maps says that the drive time is 45 minutes to Ko Olina, and we happen to hit rush hour traffic, could the drive time potentially be something like 50 minutes (semi-close)? Or will it be more like an hour and a half (way off from the estimate)?
I'd call it somewhere in-between

You'll find traffic to follow a typical work commute. However, the travel around the local Ko Olina and Kapolei area really isn't affected. It's only when you start driving to/from the airport or Waikiki that you need to be concerned about traffic. For those trips, you'll find traffic in the morning heading to Waikiki/airport area. Opposite in the evening.
Thanks so much - I had read that traffic makes the Ko Olina area very congested at certain times of the day - is that not true, then?

Maybe I can pose the question this way: if I allow 2 hours of total drive time - to drive from Waikiki to Aulani (~45 minutes), drop-off bags (maybe 30 minutes depending on Aulani's front desk), and then Aulani to PH (~30 minutes), (plus 15 minute buffer) - would that be reasonable? Or should I allow more time than that?

This forum is very helpful - thanks again!

Thanks so much - I had read that traffic makes the Ko Olina area very congested at certain times of the day - is that not true, then?
We've never found that to be the case. Been to Aulani 7 times now over the years.

The Ko'Olina/Kapolei area is congested during the evening rush hour, with traffic heading from Honolulu to Leeward. The congestion picks up where H1 Highway ends and becomes Route 93 Farrington Highway.

Maybe I can pose the question this way: if I allow 2 hours of total drive time - to drive from Waikiki to Aulani (~45 minutes), drop-off bags (maybe 30 minutes depending on Aulani's front desk), and then Aulani to PH (~30 minutes), (plus 15 minute buffer) - would that be reasonable? Or should I allow more time than that?

Yes, allowing 2 hours of total drive time should be more than enough. There is rush hour traffic as people drop their kids off at school and then continue on downtown. Schools start at 8am and you’ll notice traffic starts to die down by 8:30am. You should be good to go once you pass the downtown (Vineyard) exit. If you’re driving direct from Waikiki, it might be faster to drive through Waikiki, head down Ala Moana Blvd/Nimitz Highway, hop on the freeway before the airport, and continue on the freeway to Aulani.

After dropping off your bags at Aulani, and heading back towards Pearl Harbor, traffic should be fine.

You should be fine. The front desk line can get REALLY long, but the Bell Captains desk is just to the left of it.

Also, you can take the express lane to the exit just past Pearl Harbor and then turnaround to go back if there does happen to be traffic.

Parking can be a pain if you get there later in the day.

I’d also pre-purchase tickets beforehand and remember you can’t bring in any bags (including purses)

The Ko'Olina/Kapolei area is congested during the evening rush hour, with traffic heading from Honolulu to Leeward. The congestion picks up where H1 Highway ends and becomes Route 93 Farrington Highway.
Thanks! That's what I had heard - sounds like it's more evening than morning though?
Yes, allowing 2 hours of total drive time should be more than enough. There is rush hour traffic as people drop their kids off at school and then continue on downtown. Schools start at 8am and you’ll notice traffic starts to die down by 8:30am. You should be good to go once you pass the downtown (Vineyard) exit. If you’re driving direct from Waikiki, it might be faster to drive through Waikiki, head down Ala Moana Blvd/Nimitz Highway, hop on the freeway before the airport, and continue on the freeway to Aulani.

After dropping off your bags at Aulani, and heading back towards Pearl Harbor, traffic should be fine.
Thanks so much! That's exactly what I needed to know. For this particular drive to PH, we are picking-up the rental car at 9:00am, so it sounds like I should be past the morning rush, then.
You should be fine. The front desk line can get REALLY long, but the Bell Captains desk is just to the left of it.

Also, you can take the express lane to the exit just past Pearl Harbor and then turnaround to go back if there does happen to be traffic.

Parking can be a pain if you get there later in the day.

I’d also pre-purchase tickets beforehand and remember you can’t bring in any bags (including purses)
Thanks so much for the excellent tips! We had planned to try for PH reservations around noon or 1pm - is that too late?

This forum has been indispensable for planning this trip that I would otherwise be clueless about. Thanks again.

You can also change your projected departure time and day in Google Maps to see their estimates of the range of traffic. Useful to get the range of potential delay, you can also set it for when you want to arrive and can see when you would need to leave.

You can also change your projected departure time and day in Google Maps to see their estimates of the range of traffic. Useful to get the range of potential delay, you can also set it for when you want to arrive and can see when you would need to leave.
I didn't even know that was a thing. I will see if I can figure that out. Thanks very much for the expert advice!

I use the Waze Leave Later function all the time, pretty accurate, but allow time to park. If you have reservations for the Arizona, there is a great movie offered before or after your time there, but I think it is offered at x:15 and x:45 on the hour. Make sure you bring either a clear carrier (like this for $5 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09H5NX5PS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 ) you cannot bring a purse or backpack in (there are $ lockers outside). If your car has a big trunk you can leave stuff in the car - but theft is common everywhere now - would only do that if items are entirely hidden.

P.S. Caution - when you enter the KoOlina resort area there are some speed bumps. Take the yellow ones VERY seriously lol.

We just left Aulani yesterday and we totally lucked out on traffic. On our last trip it was an issue so I was worried, but we avoided commute hours and it was a breeze. I want to say it was 25ish minutes to the airport yesterday at about 1 pm. We arrived around the same time last Wednesday and had the same experience on the way to Aualni. We also did Pearl Harbor on Friday and had a 1 pm boat time. We left around 11 am and were there in less than 25 minutes. We had no trouble parking. It was great timing as we had time to watch the movie (went there directly first and lucked out as it was just starting), walk through the museums, and eat a sandwich before lining up for our boat. We were going to the Stanford/Hawaii football game after so I had my plastic tote with me--was able to bring it in no problem with a reliable water bottle, etc.

Resurrecting a semi-old thread with a stupid question - what is with the little booth at the entrance to Ko Olina?

I realizee that Ko Olina is technically a privately-owned, planned resort area, but what is the booth for? Do they ask you what your reason is for driving into the area?

Resurrecting a semi-old thread with a stupid question - what is with the little booth at the entrance to Ko Olina?

I realizee that Ko Olina is technically a privately-owned, planned resort area, but what is the booth for? Do they ask you what your reason is for driving into the area?
I've only ever seen a person waiving "welcome" as I drove past that gate. Have never been stopped. But FYI to anyone new - beware those brutal speed bumps!

I've only ever seen a person waiving "welcome" as I drove past that gate. Have never been stopped. But FYI to anyone new - beware those brutal speed bumps!
That sounds reasonable. And thanks for the speed bump advice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter