• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Driving from the Northeast???

I flew to Disney last January for 59 each way on Southwest from ny. I believe I purchased the tickets mid to late november. JetBlue was between 69 and 89 each way. It will probably be cheeper to fly. If you stay on sight you have no need for a car.

We've done the drive quite a few times ,1200 miles, about 20 some hours straight through. Had to stop on the ocean, so kids can see and me to recoup. Tough drive back in the 80's and 90's, worse now with the truck traffic. We've flown 3 times, really not to my liking, I do not fly anymore. Now we have been going by Amtrak, 27 hours, if on schedule, and for the 2 of us, round trip northeastern Ohio to Kissimmee Florida, 450.00. Some times we get the sleeper for the second leg of the trip, its great, food included, nice roomette, we arrive non stressed and relaxed for the 20 minute ride to WDW. Flying is nice and quick but I just do not fly anymore and security and rules and regulations would drive me over the edge. Train for us.

Mikey,
I noticed you are a recent UVM graduate still in Burlington. My daughter goes to St. Mike's!

Another thing you might consider is SWA flights out of Manchester. I'm thinking Burlington to Manchester is about 3 hours. We've gotten flights for $59 to $79 one way during Nov and Dec, so you might be able to get a good deal for Jan too. Good luck!

Another way to go "cheaper", is to fly weekday to weekday. We arrive on a Wed., and leave on a Fri. That is how we are able to get such cheap airfare. And traveling on Fri. is more expensive than ,say, going Wed to Wed. Good luck again !:thumbsup2

We drive down every year from Stratford NJ. We are about 20 minutes outside philadelphia. We have tried both ways, driving straight thru:scared1: and stopping overnight to regroup and re-energize. As you can see, we prefer to stay overnight. We just found it to be too much driving straight thru. We needed to be out of the car doing something else besides looking at road. Driving straight thru took us about 17 hours and we stopped for lunch and dinner.

We are going again February 2008 and also cant wait for the 2008 rates!!

As far as the price goes, gas cost us about 300.00 round trip. Much less than flying. Even when gas prices were almost $3.00 a gallon

OT to 4dznynuts My brother lives in Stratford, Wright Avenue. My nephew just graduated from Sterling.

OP - It depends on if you can get a decent price for Airfare. Usually we drive from Philly for about $300 round trip, however for iur August Trip I got RT airfare for $377.00 for 3 of us. For me totally worth it. When we drive, we leave around 8:00pm and drive through the night. DS sleeps all night in the car and usually wakes up in time for breakfast. Last year we left at 8:15pm and stopped for breakfast in Georgia around 7:30am or so

Thanks so much everyone! Vanillarum: I haven't found that good of prices for jetblue yet. I'll keep on looking, maybe they'll have some holiday sales or something of the sort.

Mike,
Watch airfare for Southwest flying out of Albany or Manchester. They should be publishing rates for January in the next few weeks. I'd check every day before the cheap flights are sold out.

I'd not bother driving. At that distance it would be tough not to have to stop overnight. It's about a 1400 mile drive and assuming $3 gas at 30mpg that's around $150 just for gas, one way. If you assume an average speed of 65mph (this includes stops for gas, food, bathroom) that's over 21 hours of driving. Then a day or 2 of meals plus, possibly a hotel you're close to $250 or so, again just one way. Southwest should be able to get you there for no more than $200 a seat.

If you stay onsite at a value resort the rates are less expensive and all the transportion is free. But I'm not sure what (or if) Disney charges for the ride from the airport.
Bob

OT to 4dznynuts My brother lives in Stratford, Wright Avenue. My nephew just graduated from Sterling.

OP - It depends on if you can get a decent price for Airfare. Usually we drive from Philly for about $300 round trip, however for iur August Trip I got RT airfare for $377.00 for 3 of us. For me totally worth it. When we drive, we leave around 8:00pm and drive through the night. DS sleeps all night in the car and usually wakes up in time for breakfast. Last year we left at 8:15pm and stopped for breakfast in Georgia around 7:30am or so

Wright Avenue is just a few blocks from us. My kids are still in Yellin (middle school) my oldest wont be in Sterling for 2 more years. We love Stratford, we dont ever want to leave!!

As others have posted, gasoline will probably be a minimum of $300 at 30 mpg for the approx. 3000 mile RT. Adjust as necessary. Add in tolls depending upon your route, food, and possibly hotels during traveling days, etc. And if you want the TRUE cost of driving don't forget to factor in wear and tear(tires and brakes, oil, useful vehicle lifespan) on the vehicle. Even on an inexpensive $15000 car with a useful lifespan of some 150,000 miles just putting on miles adds at least .10 mile. This .10 mile costing usually works pretty well for inexpensive used cars as well. As a result I usually figure true mileage costs including ownership and maintenance at an absolute minimum of .15/mile on a typical inexpensive car, plus the cost of gasoline. This does NOT include the fixed costs of insurance, registrations, etc - just real world operating costs. A lot of people justify driving by saying you already own the car, pay the insurance, etc - but they never account for maintenance/repair costs, wear and tear on the vehicle, food and lodging during travel, etc. For a 3000 mile trip your true costs are an absolute minimum of $750 ($450 car + $300 gas) without the additional travel days of food/lodging expenses factored in. If you're taking time off work you also have to consider the cost of taking unpaid days or using vacation time for driving days. Add in that you'll be much more tired when you arrive, both in FL and back home, and that driving long distances is more risky than flying.

Also your vehicle should be in pretty good condition and you should have the financial resources to repair it if there is a breakdown. A breakdown a long way from home can be a real PIA. AAA can be a plus with the roadside emergencies, but you still have to be both financially able and prepared time wise to get the car fixed, and possibly even rent a car to continue the trip if there is a major problem.

I live pretty close to St. Johnsbury, VT and I would never consider driving unless there were other things/areas I wanted to visit along the way. Check rates out of Burlington, Manchester, Boston, Pease etc. For two people driving is just not going to be a good choice. You mentioned that you will stay on-site which will give you free ME to/from the airport in Orlando and WDW transport while there. You can probably fly for under $200 per person(including taxes and fees), and the TRUE COST of driving is going to be closer to $800.

We've done it both ways from upstate NY. It took us a solid 25 hours or so of driving. Straight through is a killer, I'd def. stop once each way. I kept a careful record of expenses. Between gas, tolls, motel one night, extra food we wouldn't have needed flying, etc. we spent about $450 total. The 2 of you should be able to fly cheaper than that. Aside from cost, I'd never drive again. You are spent when you first get there from the drive and then dread the drive home at the end of the trip. We used ME so we didn't need a rental car.
Just an FYI, airfare is not the same at all neighboring airports. We live in central NY, so Rochester, Syracuse, and Albany are all in driving range for us. Rochester is by far the cheapest to fly out of for us. Look into all of your airport options and price compare.
Have a great trip!

If you do end up driving, definately stay overnight somewhere and get rested that way when you wake up the next day and drive straight to Disney World you at least will be rested. We Drove this past December (I am one of those people who won't fly :scared: ) and we stayed overnight in Brunswick, Georgia about 2/3 hours from Disney. We are going again next June '08' and will be driving again :woohoo: and will stay overnight somewhere hopefully even closer to Disney. Good Luck and have fun. The drive isn't bad going but I have to say coming home is not as much fun.

We just did the drive from Hershey, PA to central Florida. We ran into only a 20 minute delay in the DC area. Once we hit the Orlando area, from St. Mary's to the 535 it took us 2 hours. I-4 was like a parking lot.

On the way to Hershey, we stayed at the Guest House Inn and suites in Brunswick Georgia since we only left our house after dh got out of work.

On the way to Fl, we stayed at the Best Western in Smithfield, NC.

Both were very clean, had an indoor pool, motels.

If you do end up driving, definately stay overnight somewhere and get rested that way when you wake up the next day and drive straight to Disney World you at least will be rested. We Drove this past December (I am one of those people who won't fly :scared: ) and we stayed overnight in Brunswick, Georgia about 2/3 hours from Disney. We are going again next June '08' and will be driving again :woohoo: and will stay overnight somewhere hopefully even closer to Disney. Good Luck and have fun. The drive isn't bad going but I have to say coming home is not as much fun.

How long did it take you to get to Brunswick GA?? We are about 1 hr from Wilmington DE and are planning on going back Feb '08. We figured we would stop overnight in South Carolina. But the farther south we are, the better it is. Plus by that time, I cant stand it anymore and am too excited to get to Disney!!!

How long did it take you to get to Brunswick GA?? We are about 1 hr from Wilmington DE and are planning on going back Feb '08. We figured we would stop overnight in South Carolina. But the farther south we are, the better it is. Plus by that time, I cant stand it anymore and am too excited to get to Disney!!!

We drove to Brunswick GA from Wilmington Delaware and stayed at the Embassy Suites (I believe) pricey and just okay. Anywho if I remember correctly it took us about 13ish hours to get there :confused3 . I too figure the farther south you can go the closer you'll be to DW when you wake up in the morning. It definately is much better to stay the night somewhere close and then get up and go to Disney at least you are rested and ready for the day. We plan on driving again in June of '08' and I am figuring on getting just a little farther than Brunswick this time. However, if you decide to stay in Brunswick you should only be about 2 to 3 hours from Disney World :cool1:

We just did the drive from Hershey, PA to central Florida. We ran into only a 20 minute delay in the DC area. Once we hit the Orlando area, from St. Mary's to the 535 it took us 2 hours. I-4 was like a parking lot.

On the way to Hershey, we stayed at the Guest House Inn and suites in Brunswick Georgia since we only left our house after dh got out of work.

On the way to Fl, we stayed at the Best Western in Smithfield, NC.

Both were very clean, had an indoor pool, motels.

I used to work in Hershey Park (many moons ago). I grew up in Lebanon.

We drove to Brunswick GA from Wilmington Delaware and stayed at the Embassy Suites (I believe) pricey and just okay. Anywho if I remember correctly it took us about 13ish hours to get there :confused3 . I too figure the farther south you can go the closer you'll be to DW when you wake up in the morning. It definately is much better to stay the night somewhere close and then get up and go to Disney at least you are rested and ready for the day. We plan on driving again in June of '08' and I am figuring on getting just a little farther than Brunswick this time. However, if you decide to stay in Brunswick you should only be about 2 to 3 hours from Disney World :cool1:

Thanks for the info Louey!!! Hopefully we can make it that far. Last time we drove down we got as far as Savannah. That wasnt too bad either.

We are from NH and were going to drive down. We ended up signing up for DING from SW and so glad we did. My family of 4 is flying for just under $400.00 . We paid less than $100.00 per person round-trip. I don't think we could of driven down for that amout btween gas and a cheap motel.
Good luck with whatever you choose!

8 days and counting to see the mouse:rotfl: :love:

Hey all,

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip for January (I'm absolutely dying for these rates to come out so I can begin planning more seriously). Unfortunately the both of us are on student budgets and barring a winning powerball ticket, are going to stay that way for awhile. Thought I'd ask all of you, have any of you ever driven down From the Northeast (I'm up in Burlington, VT). Is it more economical to fly or drive (even with gas prices) about how long does it take? Can you do it in one swift motion? Basically all of the usual questions.

Any input is absolutely appreciated.

I just price this for you since Jet blues rates are only out until the 9th I did a week. United is 239.00 I got tickets from Boston for 217.00 in Feb for an October trip.

Adult Fare $99.00 USD

Wed, 02 Jan 08
Flight 19
Flight 59 6:00 AM Depart Burlington, VT (BTV)
7:20 AM
10:55 AM Connect New York, NY (JFK)
1:48 PM Arrive Orlando, FL (MCO)

Adult Fare $99.00 USD

Wed, 09 Jan 08
Flight 48
Flight 148 1:30 PM Depart Orlando, FL (MCO)
4:04 PM
4:45 PM Connect New York, NY (JFK)
6:10 PM Arrive Burlington, VT (BTV)

Going Out

Airfare / Adult $ 92.09 USD
Taxes / Adult ( details) $ 25.21 USD
Subtotal / $ 117.30 USD
X 1 Adult $ 117.30 USD

Going Out
- This fare is nonrefundable and name changes are not permitted.

- Reservations made with this fare may be changed or canceled by calling 1-800-JETBLUE prior to scheduled departure for a fee of $45 per person plus any applicable difference in airfare. Save $10 by changing or canceling your flight online at jetblue.com. Any remaining balance will be placed in a JetBlue credit and may be applied toward a future reservation for one year.

- If a reservation made with this fare is not changed or canceled prior to scheduled departure, all money associated with this fare is forfeited.

- This fare is capacity controlled. Seats offered at this fare are limited and may not be available on all flights.

- All fares are subject to change until purchased.

Coming Back

Airfare / Adult $ 92.09 USD
Taxes / Adult ( details) $ 25.21 USD
Subtotal / $ 117.30 USD
X 1 Adult $ 117.30 USD

Coming Back
- This fare is nonrefundable and name changes are not permitted.

- Reservations made with this fare may be changed or canceled by calling 1-800-JETBLUE prior to scheduled departure for a fee of $45 per person plus any applicable difference in airfare. Save $10 by changing or canceling your flight online at jetblue.com. Any remaining balance will be placed in a JetBlue credit and may be applied toward a future reservation for one year.

- If a reservation made with this fare is not changed or canceled prior to scheduled departure, all money associated with this fare is forfeited.

- This fare is capacity controlled. Seats offered at this fare are limited and may not be available on all flights.

- All fares are subject to change until purchased.

Total Cost of Flight $ 234.60 USD

I have read and understand all of the fare restrictions associated with this fare. (Please check box to continue.)

My DH won't fly so we drive every time. Our trip is about 1200 miles. We prefer to do the bulk the first day. We leave about 3:00am, do only quick stops for bathroom and gas and make it to Savannah or Brunswick Georgia which is 850 miles for us anywhere from 6-8pm depending on traffic issues. Brunswick is our preferred stop. We have stayed in the Embassy Suites which has been redone but is an older business hotel there but they have since built several new hotels. Our last trip was the Holiday Inn and Suites. Brand new 2006 with an indoor pool. Average hotel stay for us has been about $100.00. I'm sure you can do better but I prefer indoor coridors. Walmart nearby and some decent food. We freshen up and head out for dinner and maybe a dip in the pool before going to bed. Although the hotel serves continental breakfast, we always head for the IHOP at the next exit where we stop for breakfast. We are back on the road by 10:00am well rested. We make it to Disney about 1:00pm. Check in for the resorts is 3 or 4 pm so sometimes a room is ready and sometimes we just check our bags and head to a park. The drive home we go straight through. It somehow seems quicker heading home. I don't know if it is because the speed limits are higher in the south? We haven't figured that out yet. We again leave at 3:00am and are home at 11:00pm or midnight.

If you and your girlfriend are not against flying for some reason, then absolutely fly. You can get decent fight rates if you are not fussy as to the time of day your flight comes in and goes out in and book in advance.
We drove to Disney a bunch of times from the northeast and we would definately fly if we had the entire family in agreement. The wear and tear on your car, the gas prices, hotel to spend the night in going and coming, and the extra meals and drinks you need to have during the drive time do not make the trip anymore less expensive. In fact one year our car transmission went on the way down and it cost us $3,000 to fix and rent a car. The owner of the transmission place in South Carolina, off I-95, says he gets a ton of business from cars breaking down on I-95 on the way to Disney. This is especially true if you go during the hot months.
You don't need to rent a car if your staying on Disney property, the bus service around the parks, while I admit sometimes you have to wait for, is fine.

I would tend to agree with PP and not drive. It's a nuisance, it takes at least a day away from each the beginning and end of your vacation, and there are too many unknowns (traffic, car trouble, horrible area to stop for an overnight). Providence to Orlando is 2.5 hrs and I've always netted great rates from Southwest by downloading "ding" from their website, which posts internet specials daily. I just booked our August vacation for $64 each way. I've seen it as low as $49 each way at times. Southwest also flies out of Manchester, NH, as I think someone else mentioned already. You've got lots of time to save. Cut out a bought coffee or an extra lunch or dinner out each week, put that saved money away, and you'll be good to go by January!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter