*+*+*Dreams Can Come True*+*+* Club 33 Trip Report COMPLETED!!

Mickey & Minnie ice skating.

The Gingerbread Men and Clarabelle Cow.

Giant Gingerbread House with Goofy & Pluto.......Max has sat on top for the last 2 years I've seen.....this time it was Pluto.

It's the evil stepmother & sisters.

The Elves.....so playful & maybe because we were so close to them this time....I noticed their pointy ears....somehow have missed that before, but it really caught my eye this time!

Toy Factory with Geppetto, Jiminy Cricket & Pinocchio.

A couple more of the Elves.

Buzz, Buzz, Lightyear, to the Rescue!

The Carolers.

O'Christmas Tree......

Here come Santa's Reindeer!

Love that they did a kick line......lol

So the Small World sign opens for the lights for the parade.....Never noticed that before!

SANTA!!!!

Santa's Helpers.

We decided with the crowds and the cold that we would head out of the park....missing my beloved fireworks. So for those that know me well.....choosing to skip the fireworks is a big deal! We stopped to the right of the castle so I could grab a couple pics before leaving.

We walked thru the stores on Main Street on our way out, picking up a couple items. We headed to the locker to drop stuff off and then into DTD to have some dinner. We went to Tortilla Jo's to see what the wait would be and were taken right in. Ty and I enjoyed a leisurely meal (in a warm place) & then went and looked around the LEGO store before heading back to the lockers and catching the shuttle back to our resort.

Back at the resort, I went online to check my bank balance and realized the resort had taken out $150 as a deposit!! I had called them on Sunday to find out if they would need to pull an amount for the deposit and was told no. They take the card # for their file but don't actually run anything on the card. So we had not planned for anything to be charged, especially not $150!! I ran down to the office & the guy working said he's not sure why they ran that but he wasn't able to reverse it. He told me to come in and talk with the manager first thing in the morning. So I went back to my room....totally frustrated and concerned on how Ty & I was supposed to eat the next day and how Mike would get gas to come pick us up in Portland.

We watched a little TV and then called it a day.

I think our Holiday Tour stopped near Big Thunder Ranch 3 years ago too ... talking about the Reindeer Roundup and maybe the trees.

I love the unobstructed parade seating with the tour. Looks like you used up an entire memory card there! The skating snowflakes were without their giant flakes the night we saw it (after Club 33), I think because it had been windy on and off.

Bummer about the debit card hold. Seems to be a common problem with different hotels.

PHXscuba

Slept much better than I had the night before but still was up by 8am so I could go talk with the manager about the $150 deposit. She said, we didn't charge your account, we did a pre-authorization for the amount. Well.....with BoA, an authorization doesn't actually pull money from my balance but sits atop my account summary stating, it's waiting for final amount from vendor. This was showing as a charge and the funds were pulled from my available balance. She said that they would release the authorization when we checked out. So I headed back to the room fuming at this point and packed up. Ty got up and ready to go and we headed back to the office at 10am to check out. As soon as I did that, I called BofA to make sure that money would be made available immediately so we could eat and Mike get gas. I was on a lengthy hold when after 30 minutes, it cut off. UGH, so I called back to the vacation # to see if I could bypass the long wait again. The first person I talked to wasn't able to do anything, but took my call back phone # (just in case we get cut off again) and then said, I'm going to connect with someone that can fix this for me and to stay on the line. I was connected with someone that would be able to make the funds available IF, the vendor would tell them the charges weren't "valid". So I marched back into the office and had them speak to the gal at the counter. She was able to tell them, it was supposed to be a authorization hold and not actual charges. I took the phone back and the BofA employee was able to put the funds back into my account. (otherwise it wouldn't have happened until midnight). Whew......talk about being relieved!

So now it was 11am and we had 2 1/2 hrs before our shuttle would be arriving so we went next door to the resort and had brunch at Denny's. We relaxed and ate slowly but still was only able to hang out until noon before feeling like we were just "squatting" at their business. So we headed back to the resort and sat in their lobby reading the newspaper & going on FB to fill our time. At 1pm, we sat outside so we could watch for the shuttle. It was supposed to arrive at 1:25 but could be there 15 mins either side of the time. At 1:35, the Super Shuttle calls to ask if we've been picked up yet....we hadn't, so she said they have a van in the area and they should be there in 5 minutes. About 5 minutes later, the van arrives and we join the 4 other people already inside.

We were off towards the John Wayne/Orange County Airport. We got off at the Southwest Terminal and headed inside to drop off our 2 checked bags. We went thru security and I made it thru with out having to have my shoulder checked. (I'm not sure why this happens every time I go thru their scanners....but there's always a spot on my shoulder). The TSA Agent was super friendly and asking me about autism (I had an autism shirt on) and asking if I thought vaccines played a part in it.....which I personally don't. We headed to our gate and took a seat for our 2 hr wait. Ty was in the bathroom when all of a sudden this deafening alarm goes off. Word is, there was a "security breach"......but this alarm continued for a good 15 minutes. :eek::headache: It freaked me out when it first went off....especially since I was sitting alone!! Ty got back and joked about it......so that helped!

We were told our flight would be delayed 15 minutes, but the pilot had made up some time and we were back on schedule. We loaded and waited to take off.

These are as we were leaving California and headed towards Las Vegas.

Snow (I think)

The sun setting.......

As we were nearing Vegas.

The Strip!

Back in Portland.......time to go home!

It was a fun trip, but very different....... rides aren't ever the priority for me, but we do get on quite a few every trip. This time, we did a few but it wasn't a huge deal if we didn't get on something. (which was probably good, since there seemed to be a ton of them down......) We spent half our day one at Club 33....AMAZING and day two, half the day was spent on the tour.....Totally Worth It!! I didn't get to see WoC, as it was too windy and stopped 5 minutes into the show, I opted to miss the fireworks so we could go eat and get out of the cold. Didn't do a big souvenir shopping....which I ALWAYS do...... didn't do a character meal or catch a show/entertainment. We didn't do ANY Photopass pictures or order a CD......which is a must every trip...even short trips! Just different...... We still had a great time and have some memories we will never forget!!

Thanks for reading!!

I think our Holiday Tour stopped near Big Thunder Ranch 3 years ago too ... talking about the Reindeer Roundup and maybe the trees.

I love the unobstructed parade seating with the tour. Looks like you used up an entire memory card there! The skating snowflakes were without their giant flakes the night we saw it (after Club 33), I think because it had been windy on and off.

Bummer about the debit card hold. Seems to be a common problem with different hotels.

PHXscuba

The seats for the parade are perfect!! I've seen the snowflakes, minus their "flakes" before too. If it's windy at all, they seem to come off......which is weird if you know that they're supposed to be snowflakes.....lol

My issue with the resort was getting conflicting information. 2 people told me nothing would be run on my card and just the # would be on file for incidentals. Then 2 other people told me that they put a pre-authorization on your card. Problem is, they aren't running it as an authorization, otherwise it wouldn't be an issue of actually freezing funds in your account.

So when I got a survey from this place after returning home.....I went into this. Everyone needs to be on the same page, and if they want to run it as an authorization....then they need to learn how to do that. My bank clearly told them that they ran my card as if a service or product had been sold. They couldn't release my funds until they told them it wasn't a "Valid" charge. Authorizations are handled differently.

And I've had issues elsewhere across from the parks....so this is why I called prior to arrival to make sure I had it covered if they did do a deposit. :worried:

I hate those stupid holds that hotels put on cards, don't you? I'm glad you guys were able to eat!

In my case on this trip, everything was paid for and had cleared well in advance, therefore leaving no reason for me to put any card "on file" at the PPH at check-in. If a bill is paid in full in advance, before arrival, and nothing is due upon checking in, the hotel is not supposed to just go ahead and put an incidentals hold on a card unless the guest chooses to leave a card on file (for room charges or whatever). The hotel can enter a "cash" code and tell the system that the guest will cover any incidentals charges in cash, should those charges arise.

Of course, needless to say, when I got to the PPH I handed over my ID and my AP. The CM who checked me in asked if I wanted to "leave a card on file" and I specifically said "No," reminding her that everything was already paid and I didn't need to leave a card.

And, unbeknownst to me, the PPH "system" -- whether it was the CM's fault or whatever -- placed a hold on almost $100 of my money on the last card it had on record for me, without my approval, knowledge or permission. So I went merrily along, thinking that I had money to spend -- because my 2012 PPH stay worked out fine and there was no incidentals hold on any card.

Fortunately I only spent a small amount at Tangaroa Terrace, but it was money that was "unavailable" to spend because the PPH blocked almost $100, so the bank viewed it as a charge that I authorized.

I did not learn of this until I got home, though -- so at least you discovered what was happening while you were at the hotel/condo and could deal with it! When I got home I saw that the money had been held on my card, without my permission, and that I spent on the card thinking the money was there.

I called the PPH and told them I was not pleased. The CM on the phone tried to tell me that I had handed over a card at check-in, which was unequivocally untrue. I held my ground and told her exactly what happened and that I unknowingly spent money that I thought was available when it really wasn't. Finally, she offered to credit me back $100. I didn't expect that nor did I ask for it, but I felt it was reasonable. She also said they would "speak to" the CM who checked me in to better inform her of how she is supposed to handle the guests who do not wish to leave a card on file.

Still, though, I don't trust any hotel now -- even if everything has been paid in full ahead of time. I expect that they will all just block whatever money they want to block. Sure, if it is an incidentals hold (which is so stupid because I don't use any of the services associated with that) it will expire 5 days after I check out, but I need the money while I am at DLR!

Anyway, I'm glad you got it worked out!:cool1:

And yes, as of last year the tour added in some stuff in DCA but I think they got into more detail with it this year, from all reports I've read. This year the gingerbread cookies with the faces are new too -- they didn't have faces in the past, if you recall!

I know you said you were tuning out while the tour guide was talking, but do you remember her explaining about the angel on the Disneyland Hotel tree (not sure which tree it is)? Someone else who took the holiday tour this year mentioned that the guide told a story about how some CMs were taking down the decorations one year at the DLH, and they found a little angel on one of the trees. The angel was not part of Disney's decorations, so upon further investigation they opened up the angel and found a note inside. The note, if I recall correctly, was from a family who spoke of their sick child and how Disney and Disneyland had made such a difference to him/her.

Ever since then, apparently the decorators put up the little angel somewhere on "the DLH tree" each holiday season. I have no clue which tree! I heard this story after I got back from my trip a couple of weeks ago, and I had already been all over the DLH, scoping out the trees!:rotfl2: I'm sure the little angel is hidden somewhere -- maybe it's even on a tree in a back office and not out where the public can reach it -- but I wish I knew if it had been on a tree that I looked at!

I hate those stupid holds that hotels put on cards, don't you? I'm glad you guys were able to eat!

In my case on this trip, everything was paid for and had cleared well in advance, therefore leaving no reason for me to put any card "on file" at the PPH at check-in. If a bill is paid in full in advance, before arrival, and nothing is due upon checking in, the hotel is not supposed to just go ahead and put an incidentals hold on a card unless the guest chooses to leave a card on file (for room charges or whatever). The hotel can enter a "cash" code and tell the system that the guest will cover any incidentals charges in cash, should those charges arise.

Of course, needless to say, when I got to the PPH I handed over my ID and my AP. The CM who checked me in asked if I wanted to "leave a card on file" and I specifically said "No," reminding her that everything was already paid and I didn't need to leave a card.

And, unbeknownst to me, the PPH "system" -- whether it was the CM's fault or whatever -- placed a hold on almost $100 of my money on the last card it had on record for me, without my approval, knowledge or permission. So I went merrily along, thinking that I had money to spend -- because my 2012 PPH stay worked out fine and there was no incidentals hold on any card.

Fortunately I only spent a small amount at Tangaroa Terrace, but it was money that was "unavailable" to spend because the PPH blocked almost $100, so the bank viewed it as a charge that I authorized.

I did not learn of this until I got home, though -- so at least you discovered what was happening while you were at the hotel/condo and could deal with it! When I got home I saw that the money had been held on my card, without my permission, and that I spent on the card thinking the money was there.

I called the PPH and told them I was not pleased. The CM on the phone tried to tell me that I had handed over a card at check-in, which was unequivocally untrue. I held my ground and told her exactly what happened and that I unknowingly spent money that I thought was available when it really wasn't. Finally, she offered to credit me back $100. I didn't expect that nor did I ask for it, but I felt it was reasonable. She also said they would "speak to" the CM who checked me in to better inform her of how she is supposed to handle the guests who do not wish to leave a card on file.

Still, though, I don't trust any hotel now -- even if everything has been paid in full ahead of time. I expect that they will all just block whatever money they want to block. Sure, if it is an incidentals hold (which is so stupid because I don't use any of the services associated with that) it will expire 5 days after I check out, but I need the money while I am at DLR!

Anyway, I'm glad you got it worked out!:cool1:

And yes, as of last year the tour added in some stuff in DCA but I think they got into more detail with it this year, from all reports I've read. This year the gingerbread cookies with the faces are new too -- they didn't have faces in the past, if you recall!

I know you said you were tuning out while the tour guide was talking, but do you remember her explaining about the angel on the Disneyland Hotel tree (not sure which tree it is)? Someone else who took the holiday tour this year mentioned that the guide told a story about how some CMs were taking down the decorations one year at the DLH, and they found a little angel on one of the trees. The angel was not part of Disney's decorations, so upon further investigation they opened up the angel and found a note inside. The note, if I recall correctly, was from a family who spoke of their sick child and how Disney and Disneyland had made such a difference to him/her.

Ever since then, apparently the decorators put up the little angel somewhere on "the DLH tree" each holiday season. I have no clue which tree! I heard this story after I got back from my trip a couple of weeks ago, and I had already been all over the DLH, scoping out the trees!:rotfl2: I'm sure the little angel is hidden somewhere -- maybe it's even on a tree in a back office and not out where the public can reach it -- but I wish I knew if it had been on a tree that I looked at!

My friends paid for the resort in full with their points and her credit card. She was not happy to hear they did that....since it was all handled prior to our arrival and they had her card already on file. Oh well.......

That really is unnerving that the PPH still had your credit card # on file!! It's so frustrating to not get a straight answer from these places. Just tell me you are going to pre-authorize my card for such & such amount and I'll hold that amount out. But don't tell me you won't do that and then turn around and do so.

Yes... I was listening during the story about the ornament. The family placed it there after the child had passed away. It was there way to thanking Disney for being there for their child and family during a time they needed it. Disney was a huge "light" for this child. The ornament is put up every year on the DLH tree. Very touching story.......

Those pictures from the Plane are good!! I've never flown out of SNA before, just LAX since it's my home airport

Laurie I'm so sorry I haven't been able to keep up with this TR and comment, but sometimes life gets in the way and haven't made it onto DIS for a while...

Anyways!

I'm so glad you were able to go, you deserve it!!! Your pictures are amazing!
Lovely to look at two Disney Dreams of mine: seeing Disney at Christmas and of course Club 33! pixiedust:

Laurie I'm so sorry I haven't been able to keep up with this TR and comment, but sometimes life gets in the way and haven't made it onto DIS for a while...

Anyways!

I'm so glad you were able to go, you deserve it!!! Your pictures are amazing!
Lovely to look at two Disney Dreams of mine: seeing Disney at Christmas and of course Club 33! pixiedust:

I totally understand Life getting busy......I still haven't finished our WDW TR yet. :rolleyes1

Christmas time is my favorite season at the parks.......followed closely by spring (but won't go during spring breaks ever again.....) :eek: Hopefully you can make it during the holidays in the near future!!!

Laurie, I got so far behind reading trip reports. Finally caught up on this one. I love the parade pictures! The only parade they had when we were there was the Pixar Parade. No World of Color or fireworks either. We were one week too late. Oh well, gives us a reason to go back.

Beth

Laurie, I got so far behind reading trip reports. Finally caught up on this one. I love the parade pictures! The only parade they had when we were there was the Pixar Parade. No World of Color or fireworks either. We were one week too late. Oh well, gives us a reason to go back.

Beth

The Pixar parade is a fun one.....bummer about WoC & Fireworks though.......they are awesome!!! But you're right.....guess you'll have to go back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter