Double, Double, Toil & Trouble: a Halloween-inspired trip of “two’s” – an October 2016 TR

Glad to see you back Gina, your trip reports are always the best!

Your babies are so big now, they are absolutely adorable!

That’s a really great deal for your Days Inn stay and parking. I paid more than that last year for 2 weeks of parking in the cheapest lot at the Buffalo airport (which is still a mere fraction of what I’d have to pay in Toronto – flying out of Buffalo is so much better!)

Can’t believe the deal you got on your resort! I’ve never used Skyauction but I need to check it out.

I always have to laugh at people being upset about the lack of daily housekeeping. Personally, we LOVE not having someone coming in and out of our villa every day, especially when its just the two of us (and we don't make huge messes or generate much garbage). Now, I do look forward to the mid-week tidy at the Vistana (and missed that sorely when staying at the Grande Vista...I'm still a bit shocked that they don't provide that to exchange guests) but otherwise, I'm happy that the cleaning staff keep out.
It's actually really funny that our friend was unhappy about housekeeping because he is the sweetest, kindest, easy going guy you could ever meet. For some reason it really bugged him.

I'm very much like you in that I prefer no strangers in my room. If you get a mid week tidy up at SVR that's not the norm. Most timeshares charge for that. In fact some require that you strip the beds and dump the trash on departure day.

Parsley, rosemary, thyme ...

What? No sage?

I asked Steve if he remembered if there was sage in the herb garden, and he assured me there was.....but apparently I missed taking a picture of it :o. Fire the photographer!

In my defense, I was distracted by my excitement that they had chocolate mint :hyper:.

Nice. I guess we are not spread out people. We generally do not mind hotel rooms.

Nice pictures and waiting to see how trails end was. We had scheduled breakfast there, but cancelled it as we thought sleep was more important. When we stayed at the WL, we walked over to the Fort, but did not stay long enough to eat anything there.

Carry on.

A bit of a spoiler, but we LOVED Trails End. That's one we will return to for sure on future trips. I will try to get that entry up later today, if our travels don't take us to far afield. We finally have a free day....Steve doesn't have to work, no more unpacking to do....so we may go exploring in Ann Arbor or ??? (Steve is dying to visit Frankenmuth, but its so soggy today I'm not sure we should bother).

You know what I miss most whenever we have no other choice but to stay in a standard hotel? Laundry facilities. I really do hate travelling without access to my own private washer and dryer. Yes, I realize that makes me weird :rolleyes1.

Having always lived in a coastal state - WA, CA & NC, I've gotten used to the long flights but I don't think they are that bad. When I was in college and went to MI to visit family I think it was probably 4-5 hours. Even Seattle to MCO non stop is less than 6 hours in the plane. I've flown in/out of Flint when my aunt and uncle lived there, it's a nice little airport, but be careful because there are some flights that connect in Detroit and that just seems like a waste of time if you have to connect somewhere. Detroit is a much larger airport, I think it's still a hub for someone but I can't remember which, they've all merged since I connected there years ago.

I always take a red eye when I fly east to help get on the time and so I can sleep the flight away. At least that's the goal, sleep doesn't always come easily. This also works better on non stops, my flight to Charlotte in May I have to change planes in Minneapolis and I'm not happy but the nonstop was over 500 bucks one way which is insane. I knew I wouldn't be happy with US Airways and American merging.

I've only spent part of a day one summer at CA Adventure not long after it opened and part of one winter day at DL and had fun both times but neither trip was planned out and it still worked. The Materhorn alone is worth the trip, though I think they've changed the cars since I was there in 2004. Plus there's so many other things you can do in LA, San Diego and the whole area. You could easily spend a 2 week vacation there but it would cost more than FL.

My 10 year old dog still makes messes and my mom's dog that's 7 is why I'm off to get my cell phone screen replaced later today. All we can guess is that he wanted to move the blanket and my phone was there and he grabbed ahold and got my phone and put a nice hole in the corner that has a spider crack from it. Also my dog's vet appt for his check up and shots soon, so it's an expensive day. But I wouldn't trade them, so we clean up the messes and pay to replace and fix things occasionally :)

We checked out Flint, since Southwest flies from there....but it looks like we can get a nonstop there, but have to take a connecting home (how odd). Jetblue is ridiculous from DTW to MCO. Triple the cost than to FLL, and FLL is nonstop. Go figure. Frontier is an option for nonstop from DTW (and back again), so maybe they'll become our go-to airline. I hate how they charge for every single thing but a personal item, though.

I just bought a new Galaxy S7 Edge when we moved to Michigan. The sales agent at TMobile asked me if I wanted the protection plan. I quickly said yes. She laughed and said, 'well, that was an easy sale' so I showed her a picture of the two hellions. She nodded knowingly and said.....'smart purchase' :rotfl:. I hope your screen repair wasn't too pricey!

Cost is the other big factor that's kept us away from doing a trip to southern California. We are spoiled by how affordably we can do an Orlando vacation. It's ruined us for going anywhere else!! Of course now, everything will seem even cheaper yet, since we'll be booking and paying with American money. Very excited about that!

Gina you must be getting soft, what's a longer hour flight if not more time for Steve to snooze!! We have a 9 to 9.5 hour flight, up to 3 hour pre check in, travel to airportetc etc...... I would love a shorter time, this time we had to change to get cheaper fares at Christmas so that was one long day :sad2:

Is Cypress palms on the East of 192? We stayed West, near Animal Kingdom and there are plenty of places to eat round there too including Zmillers, Longhorns, Bahama Breeze, Sweet Tomatoes etc we did drive east on our way to Give Kids the World and walked around Old Town Kissimmee.

The lakeside chairs do look inviting, I'll wait and see if you ever used them. Loving e report :goodvibes

I honestly don't know how you manage such long travel days.....you must be done in by the time you arrive. Thank goodness you can stay for extended periods to at least make all that time in the air worthwhile.

My directional abilities are terrible, so I don't know my easts from my wests generally :o. If you come down the 535 (from the Vistana), you would turn right to go to Wyndham Cypress Palms. It's very close to the giant orange. And the opposite direction to the Nike Clearance Store.

Glad to see you back Gina, your trip reports are always the best!

Your babies are so big now, they are absolutely adorable!

That’s a really great deal for your Days Inn stay and parking. I paid more than that last year for 2 weeks of parking in the cheapest lot at the Buffalo airport (which is still a mere fraction of what I’d have to pay in Toronto – flying out of Buffalo is so much better!)

Can’t believe the deal you got on your resort! I’ve never used Skyauction but I need to check it out.

I am going to miss flying from Buffalo. It is such an easy airport to navigate, and we always got such great flight prices. Flying from MI is going to take some getting used to, that's for sure. Can you tell I'm a creature of habit?

The Days has become very, very hard to beat for price and value in the last year or so. Most times, it seems to be cheaper to do their park and fly package than to simply buy parking alone at one of the airport lots. It was much busier there when we left for our Christmas trip than it was in October. All us northerners trying to escape winter :cold:.

It's actually really funny that our friend was unhappy about housekeeping because he is the sweetest, kindest, easy going guy you could ever meet. For some reason it really bugged him.

I'm very much like you in that I prefer no strangers in my room. If you get a mid week tidy up at SVR that's not the norm. Most timeshares charge for that. In fact some require that you strip the beds and dump the trash on departure day.

So far, the Grande Vista is the ONLY place we haven't received a mid-week tidy. The Vistana, Cypress Palms, and Westgate Lakes have all provided one complimentary (towels are refreshed, garbage/recycling are emptied, dishwasher is ran, beds are made, and all rooms are lightly vacuumed). I had just assumed it was industry standard :confused:. It was the one big thing that really let Steve down about our MGV stay.

So excited to find your new Trip Report!! Your reports are the BEST Gina!!!

Thank you!!! :goodvibes :welcome: aboard.....so happy to have you back and joining in with us once again!

Gina, I agree with you on the laundry access during vacation. This is a major plus for me. We pack half as much clothes. And we get to unpack clean clothes when we get home. No laundry mountain post-vacation!

Great pictures of all the resort highlights, is it pretty close to WDW? We explored FW and really enjoyed the horse barn and Trail's End.

The Days has become very, very hard to beat for price and value in the last year or so. Most times, it seems to be cheaper to do their park and fly package than to simply buy parking alone at one of the airport lots. It was much busier there when we left for our Christmas trip than it was in October. All us northerners trying to escape winter

We've booked Days for our next two trips at $75 USD per night with up to 14 days of parking. You're right.. can't be beat. I just get a little nervous after the two bad experiences you had. It goes a long way though that they made it right for you. We stayed at the Aloft (14 of us) on Boxing Day and used their park and fly. I think the rate was $140 or so. They were fantastic about all of us being delayed getting back to pick up the cars from FLL and didn't charge us for the extra 4 days which was nice. I kind of weirdly preferred the Days though. It's older and not as nice but the Aloft didn't wow me and I prefer the cheaper price and free breakfast when just the four of us I guess.

You know what I miss most whenever we have no other choice but to stay in a standard hotel? Laundry facilities. I really do hate travelling without access to my own private washer and dryer. Yes, I realize that makes me weird :rolleyes1.

Well we are both weird then. I love being able to pack lighter (and pay for less luggage) and have fresh clothes on the trip. I can also close the door on my kids (19 and 12) mess in their room and feel like I am on vacation!! If they want to climb over piles of clothes and junk.. have at it! At least I don't have to look at it or nag them to clean it up!!

Yep.. condos or suites for this family. It's made vacation actually relaxing.:sunny:

Last edited:
We checked out Flint, since Southwest flies from there....but it looks like we can get a nonstop there, but have to take a connecting home (how odd). Jetblue is ridiculous from DTW to MCO. Triple the cost than to FLL, and FLL is nonstop. Go figure. Frontier is an option for nonstop from DTW (and back again), so maybe they'll become our go-to airline. I hate how they charge for every single thing but a personal item, though.

I just bought a new Galaxy S7 Edge when we moved to Michigan. The sales agent at TMobile asked me if I wanted the protection plan. I quickly said yes. She laughed and said, 'well, that was an easy sale' so I showed her a picture of the two hellions. She nodded knowingly and said.....'smart purchase' :rotfl:. I hope your screen repair wasn't too pricey!

I rarely fly the same airline round trip on vacation any more because I want nonstops and I want them when it fits my schedule. My last MCO trip I flew Delta there, but they stopped the red eye non stop after I bought it so I had to switch in Atlanta, blah. And flew Alaska home. When I go in May I'm flying 3 airlines, Delta to Charlotte, American to Baltimore then renting a car to drive to Dulles so my friend can pick me up (it was the cheapest option, over $100 difference including the rental) and then Alaska back from Dulles. I'm staying a few days in Charlotte to visit friends before going to DC. If I could fly Alaska everywhere with the flight times I wanted I would be happy. If you don't plan on the park and fly you may consider this, you could fly SW from Flint and then back from FLL on Jet Blue or something like that.

The new screen was 200 plus the screen protector I had to put on myself that I ended up with lint under despite all of my cleaning, it's super annoying. Still cheaper than a new phone and I'll watch where I put it now, especially since it's less than a year old.

In that little steel serving container was a selection of small brownies and squares, which I sampled purely for the purposes of this report (you didn’t expect me to pass up chocolate, did you?)

And your readers appreciate the sacrifices you make for "purposes of the report". :rotfl:

followed by a reservation for a private carriage ride through the campground

I can't wait to hear about the private carriage ride. I hated that we didn't get to do this activity when our trip got cancelled.

Gina, I agree with you on the laundry access during vacation. This is a major plus for me. We pack half as much clothes. And we get to unpack clean clothes when we get home. No laundry mountain post-vacation!

Amen, sister. Coming home after vacation is deflating enough on its own. Having piles of dirty laundry to sort through is just like throwing salt on the wound.

Great pictures of all the resort highlights, is it pretty close to WDW? We explored FW and really enjoyed the horse barn and Trail's End.

We didn't find the drive far at all. We made it to MK and Fort Wilderness in about 15 -20 minutes from Cypress Palms. A very easy commute.

We've booked Days for our next two trips at $75 USD per night with up to 14 days of parking. You're right.. can't be beat. I just get a little nervous after the two bad experiences you had. It goes a long way though that they made it right for you. We stayed at the Aloft (14 of us) on Boxing Day and used their park and fly. I think the rate was $140 or so. They were fantastic about all of us being delayed getting back to pick up the cars from FLL and didn't charge us for the extra 4 days which was nice. I kind of weirdly preferred the Days though. It's older and not as nice but the Aloft didn't wow me and I prefer the cheaper price and free breakfast when just the four of us I guess.

Well we are both weird then. I love being able to pack lighter (and pay for less luggage) and have fresh clothes on the trip. I can also close the door on my kids (19 and 12) mess in their room and feel like I am on vacation!! If they want to climb over piles of clothes and junk.. have at it! At least I don't have to look at it or nag them to clean it up!!

Yep.. condos or suites for this family. It's made vacation actually relaxing.:sunny:

I will freely admit that we've approached our stays at the Days with a tiny bit of trepidation after the back-to-back disasters, but we're glad we gave them the chance to redeem themselves. Like you said, there's no one aspect that's really awesome but all the pluses (even the mediocre ones) end up making it a best-value choice for Buffalo. We could just never justify the price difference between the Days and the competitor properties.

Excited to read your newest trip report, and congrats on the move! :)

Thank you, and welcome back!! So far, we're very much enjoying our new life in the USA. Still a few things to wrap our heads around (like this bottle-deposit thingie here in MI......I'm going to have to pick @DontRushMe 's brain for info on that) but otherwise, it's been great so far. That said, we're both VERY much looking forward to visiting Jake and my mom in a few weeks. And, I'll be out of Shreddies by then :eek:.

I rarely fly the same airline round trip on vacation any more because I want nonstops and I want them when it fits my schedule. My last MCO trip I flew Delta there, but they stopped the red eye non stop after I bought it so I had to switch in Atlanta, blah. And flew Alaska home. When I go in May I'm flying 3 airlines, Delta to Charlotte, American to Baltimore then renting a car to drive to Dulles so my friend can pick me up (it was the cheapest option, over $100 difference including the rental) and then Alaska back from Dulles. I'm staying a few days in Charlotte to visit friends before going to DC. If I could fly Alaska everywhere with the flight times I wanted I would be happy. If you don't plan on the park and fly you may consider this, you could fly SW from Flint and then back from FLL on Jet Blue or something like that.

The new screen was 200 plus the screen protector I had to put on myself that I ended up with lint under despite all of my cleaning, it's super annoying. Still cheaper than a new phone and I'll watch where I put it now, especially since it's less than a year old.

I am hoping we can work something out for flying out of DTW since its so close, but we'll definitely weigh our options and decide from there. Steve just said to me this morning that we need to pick our Florida weeks for this year so he can get them booked off, so hopefully we'll soon have something officially in the works. It feels odd having no trip to be working toward.

Ugh, sorry to hear that the screen repair was so costly. That's not a small chunk of change :sad2:.

I'm a little late but getting caught up!! Happy to see you back on the Dis!

Yay! You're here! :banana: I was going to message you on Facebook and tell you to come on over :rotfl:. I thought you mind find me a bit weird for doing so, though. Of course, you may already find me a bit weird so perhaps I had nothing to lose? :lmao:

And your readers appreciate the sacrifices you make for "purposes of the report". :rotfl:

I can't wait to hear about the private carriage ride. I hated that we didn't get to do this activity when our trip got cancelled.

:rotfl2: I knew you'd understand. And I don't think I ever did give my review of the chocolate treasures that were hiding quietly under neath that silver lid. For the record, they were delish. I made a point of staying away from the Activities Center thereafter so I didn't overdose on chocolate brownies :bitelip:.

I am so, so bummed that your much-anticipated trip was cancelled, especially for such a heart-breaking reason :hug:. We had both been praying for your mom, and for you.

You'll have to plan for the carriage ride on your next Disney adventure, whenever that happens to be. You guys deserve a little splurge.

HI Gina - glad you are settling in to life the US and I am enjoying your trip report so far. I went to Disneyland a week ago and it was great. We splurged as it was my retirement trip and stayed onsite at the Paradise Pier Hotel and my sister and I had a great time. We were only there for 6 days but packed in a lot in that time. Now that you live in the States you should give Disneyland a try.
Judy

HI Gina - glad you are settling in to life the US and I am enjoying your trip report so far. I went to Disneyland a week ago and it was great. We splurged as it was my retirement trip and stayed onsite at the Paradise Pier Hotel and my sister and I had a great time. We were only there for 6 days but packed in a lot in that time. Now that you live in the States you should give Disneyland a try.
Judy

That is so awesome! Let me tell ya, I don't need much convincing LOL. Hopefully its something we can work in the schedule and budget within the next few years. We have a ton of driveable places we want to check out over the course of the next year (cities like Chicago, Frankenmuth, Sandusky, Wisconsin Dells, etc. .... all places that really weren't overly doable from our previous home in Caada) but then we'll be looking to go a little further afield. California is definitely calling me!!

Edited to add.....:welcome: back! Glad to have you joining in again :goodvibes .

Hooray for another trip report! :love:

I'm interested to see your take on Trail's End and the carriage ride. One we love immensely, the other not so much...

We're Wyndham Bonnet Creek owners (purchased a nice size contract off EBay for $100) so it's neat to see some other possible options in the Orlando area (and what a great deal you got!). I love the herb garden. We've stayed at about 10 different Wyndham resorts around the country with varying degrees of pushy-ness. I love the ones that let you go with a simple no! We had one in TN that would leave 3-4 phone messages a day and stop by our room to try and get us to go to the presentation! :scared1:

The non-daily housekeeping has never been a problem for us. Heck, when we stay at a Disney resort we choose not to get housekeeping the whole time we're there! I can make my own bed and use my towel more than once.

Hooray for another trip report! :love:

I'm interested to see your take on Trail's End and the carriage ride. One we love immensely, the other not so much...

We're Wyndham Bonnet Creek owners (purchased a nice size contract off EBay for $100) so it's neat to see some other possible options in the Orlando area (and what a great deal you got!). I love the herb garden. We've stayed at about 10 different Wyndham resorts around the country with varying degrees of pushy-ness. I love the ones that let you go with a simple no! We had one in TN that would leave 3-4 phone messages a day and stop by our room to try and get us to go to the presentation! :scared1:

The non-daily housekeeping has never been a problem for us. Heck, when we stay at a Disney resort we choose not to get housekeeping the whole time we're there! I can make my own bed and use my towel more than once.

Hello, and :welcome:! So glad to have you joining in again!

I suspect that I know which of Trail's End and the carriage ride was the winner for you, and which was the loser :rolleyes:. Something tells me that our experiences were fairly similar.

3-4 calls a day from the timeshare sales folks would have had me unplugging my phone :eek:. That has to cross the line from pushy to harassment!!

Friday, October 14th (continued)

We had been forewarned by many experienced folks here on the Dis to leave ourselves plenty of time to drive to Fort Wilderness. Not only would we have actual commuting time from Cypress Palms to the Fort, but we would also have to take internal transportation once we arrived from the parking area at the Outpost Depot to the Trail’s End restaurant at the Settlement Depot. Even though our dinner ADR wasn’t until 6:50 pm, we decided to head out at 5 o’clock. With this being our first visit to Fort Wilderness, we knew we’d have lots to explore and to keep us busy if we happened to be more efficient than we anticipated.

Finding the resort was easy enough (though we can’t help but wonder how people fared before GPS’s were introduced to the mass public), and the drive from our resort was much shorter than we expected :car:. We arrived in very good time, and I think it took us longer to find an available parking space in the lot than it did to commute from Cypress Palms :rolleyes2. Parking, it turned out, was quite the challenge.

Once we finally found a space in the furthest reaches of the lot, we made our way past the Tri Circle D Ranch and toward the bus stop to wait for the next shuttle.

14601091_10155136008016416_7060737991947357322_n.jpg

Our timing must have been such that we JUST missed grabbing a bus, because it did seem to take quite a while before the Purple Line bus pulled up for a fresh load of passengers. It was a nice night out, though, so the wait for transportation was quite pleasant.

14632924_10155136008041416_1700396199366263387_n.jpg

14632951_10155136008271416_4475034181131565828_n.jpg

Once on the purple line bus, we began our journey to the Settlement Depot, and we learned just how big the Fort Wilderness campground really was. It was MUCH larger than I anticipated it would be, and I now understand why they need a bus system to ferry campers from place to place. While I’m no fan of camping myself (the Days Hotel in Buffalo is as “roughing it” as it gets for this girl :blush:), the campground seemed clean and well organized, though I was kind of surprised there was only one pool area for that entire resort.

Disembarking at the Settlement Depot, we took note of the time and confirmed we had a little bit of time to kill before checking in for our dinner reservation. We took our time strolling through the area, admiring the western-themed buildings all crafted in Disney-detailed perfection.

14907107_10155136008471416_7476991176326404650_n.jpg

I was excited to see Pioneer Hall in person, as we had reservations for Hoop Dee Doo for our December trip. That was a big Disney Bucket List item for me, and I couldn’t wait to finally enjoy Orlando’s longest-running dinner show in a couple of months.

I was also pretty jazzed up to see the horse and carriage driver clip-clopping softly around the circle. The sound of the horse’s hooves on the pavement is strangely captivating…….almost hypnotic.

14568113_10155136008626416_7843986440023221384_n.jpg

14910478_10155136008981416_5188063540677619030_n.jpg

We walked over to the Settlement Trading Post, and browsed their selection of Disney merchandise and grocery section. I was actually kind of surprised at how small the Trading Post was inside…..the Vistana’s general store feels like its triple the size. But, I suppose it had the basics (including a nice selection of Mickey ears, one of which I was almost tempted to buy) so it did the job. I suspect that serious campers made a trip to Walmart or Publix before arriving, though.

14908255_10155136008806416_1165320055742746635_n.jpg

We check in for our reservation, was given our pager, and settled into a couple of rocking chairs to wait for our chance to be seated. There were a LOT of people milling about, and numerous people coming in and out of Trail’s End as the minutes ticked slowly by and our reservation time came and went with the pager still silent in Steve’s lap. We were just discussing our mutual concern that we might not have enough time to properly enjoy dinner before we had to meet the driver for our 8:30 pm carriage ride when the pager finally went off and we returned to the podium to be seated by the greeter.

14591880_10155136008536416_1370840950142245626_n.jpg

14732302_10155136008861416_3599170692945713251_n.jpg

Inside the restaurant it was all campy and rustic, which we both thought was incredibly charming. Our drink orders were taken by the most wonderful server: a sweet old gent that made us feel like we were having supper at Grandpa’s house. He invited us to go up and enjoy as much as we liked from the buffet and assured us that our beverages would be waiting for us when we returned with our meals. He told us to make sure we tried the cornbread, because it was the best he’s ever tasted…..so with our tummies sufficiently rumbling with the smell of meat permeating the air, we did exactly as he recommended and swiftly moved to the end of the buffet line.

14595570_10155136010561416_554682980383684314_n.jpg

14900542_10155136009636416_5253502191220686647_n.jpg

Steve was instantly in meatatarian heaven: an unlimited bounty of fried chicken, ribs, ham, pulled pork, beef, and a hearty array of sides lay stretched out before him. We were quite impressed by the selection on the buffet, especially considering the price: this was a “cheap” meal by Disney dining standards. With our plates loaded full, we made one additional brief stop for a slice of corn bread each and then returned to our table: and as promised, our strawberry lemonades were ready and waiting for us.

14907558_10155136009206416_7681939009840419026_n.jpg

If this meal earns any criticism at all, it’s that all the foods were stick-to-your-ribs filling, which meant I had to be selective as to what I took because there’s only so much stomach capacity to be utilized. That said, EVERY item we sampled was absolutely delicious: and the cornbread was simply out of this world. Neither of us are huge cornbread lovers to begin with, but the Trail’s End version left us drooling. I think I could have made a meal on that and the baked beans alone. So. Very. Good. I also have to highlight the cuteness factor of the mac ‘n cheese. The wagon wheel pasta was oh-so-adorable.

14642446_10155136009241416_3081580881789316631_n.jpg

14606523_10155136009951416_2869706411075777082_n.jpg

Steve returned to the buffet line several times, and made a valiant effort to try at least a little bit of everything. While the meats were obviously his favourite aspects of the meal, he was very much impressed by the taste and quality of every item, including the soups and sides.

14581540_10155136009956416_1810050015351120963_n.jpg

Our keen eyes had caught sight of the delectable dessert buffet (how could we NOT have noticed?) so we made sure to save some room to enjoy a dessert or two after we had finished our main meal. Trail’s End offered a mouthwatering selection of fresh cookies and squares in addition to strawberry shortcake that was to DIE for and a create-your-own sundae bar with kid (and big kid) friendly toppings. They also had hot apple crisp that was the surprise hit of the night for me. It tasted as close to homemade as any restaurant apple crisp could ever get, and it left me wishing I could smuggle a bowl into my purse to enjoy while we rode through the campground in our buggy.

14590365_10155136009626416_3116888585595964326_n.jpg

14690912_10155136009946416_7203865214037102517_n.jpg

Once dessert had been fully enjoyed and we were so full we seriously couldn’t have taken another bite if we tried, we covered our bill and saw that it was nearly time to meet our horse and driver at the designated meeting area just a few steps from the restaurant. While we had been concerned that being sat late for our ADR might cut our dinner time short, it actually turned out to be virtually perfect timing: on our way out of the restaurant, we made a quick stop to freshen up in the restrooms and proceeded directly to our carriage ride where our driver was waiting with our chauffeur for the evening, Porter.

14572944_10155136011246416_1002905057531347959_n.jpg

We had booked the private carriage ride in advance of our visit, so the cost for the activity was paid in full (including the tip) in advance of our arrival. We had debated the $45 thirty-minute carriage ride against the $8 per person hay ride for quite some time before booking, but ultimately having the carriage to ourselves felt like it would be worth the additional $29 charge. I do want to enjoy the hay ride on a future visit someday too, though.

14591714_10155136008386416_2110533010204788119_n.jpg

Our driver introduced us to our horse, allowed us the opportunity for a few photos, and then we hopped up into the buggy and were on our way. We had been SO looking forward to snuggling up together in the carriage while we enjoyed the fresh, autumn air and the Halloween light displays carefully erected at the campsites by a myriad of Fort Wilderness guests in the comfy solitude of the carriage. It sounded like the most peaceful way we could think of to end our first full day in Orlando.

14601084_10155136010991416_940894319091325495_n.jpg

Well, it was a nice thought :rolleyes1.

Turns out our driver didn’t get the memo that we were seeking a tranquil experience. While she was very nice, she was also VERY talkative: she kept up a steady (and rather loud) stream of conversation for the entire half-hour ride. She scolded Porter (way too often, quite honestly…..it seemed that poor horse couldn’t do anything right :sad2:), she asked us questions, she talked about the weather, she prattled on about little Fort Wilderness facts [which would have been interesting if she hadn’t been talking non-stop about any other topic that sprang into her head] …. there was so much conversation, it was absolutely exhausting :faint:. It also totally altered the dynamics of what should have been our “romantic” evening activity. Now, don’t get me wrong…we still had a good time. The campground Halloween displays were incredible (so many of them!!) and we couldn’t have asked for a nicer weather night. But oh, how that woman talked too much: and that’s sayin’ something coming from me, because I am generally one to enjoy a good amount of chatter. I guess it was the fact that she was so consistently annoyed with that poor horse that was hardest to stomach. I can only imagine he was tired of hearing her prattle away constantly, too :rolleyes:.

We had thought about staying at the Fort a little longer to watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks from the beach, but we were weary from our long day of travel (that 4 am wake-up call had finally started to catch up with us) and the big meal sitting heavily in our stomachs was just intensifying the tiredness. We decided to catch a bus back to the Outpost and make our way back to Cypress Palms.

Arriving back at the resort, we experienced our first of what would be many frustrations with parking at Cypress Palms past 8 pm: there was hardly a spot to be had when we pulled into the parking lot just after 9:45 pm. We eventually found an empty space nearly building 9 :headache: and walked all the way back to our villa in building 2. While the extra walk was probably beneficial after what we ate for dinner, it was maddening nonetheless.

On a high note, the resort was marvelously quiet and the bed was surprisingly comfy so we enjoyed a rejuvenating and restful night’s sleep. Tomorrow, we had plans for a full day at SeaWorld, and we’d need as much energy as we could muster to fully enjoy our first time at their Halloween Spooktacular.

Next up: SeaWorld, Halloween-style!

14947929_10155162303231416_1557939400189511238_n.jpg

Yay! Found your report. Glad to hear you are settling in to Michigan life ok!
The kitties are gorgeous :love:

What a shame! I would have felt exactly the same. We aren't unfriendly by any stretch but endless prattle would drive me bonkers. Interestingly enough the only downside to our Fort Wilderness carriage ride a few years ago at Christmases was that our driver kept trying to make us sing Christmas carols, and we didn't want to :rotfl:.

I would NOT have found her annoyance with the horse enjoyable either. That just stinks. The campground and decorations are so fun aren't they? People really go all out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter