Dopey Dash and Beyond (Comments Welcome)

slp1650

DIS Veteran
I'm continuing this from my 2018 Dopey Dash in the WISH Journals, which really hasn't been updated in a while anyway...

This month has been a struggle with training though. I was moving up my mileage pretty well since January and then I have friends visit, I get sick, and then work two weeks straight. My training has definitely taken a back seat to everything, which is why I wanted to give myself 2 years to train for the Dopey and not push for 1 year.

I did get to watch some of the Star Wars 10k this morning and that inspired me to get back on the road once I got home. Luckily it was still early enough and the weather stayed pretty cool so my run felt pretty nice. My legs were hurting though from all the lack of training (and I'll admit my diet wasn't the best last week).

Between the pain and guilt in taking so long to start training, I have a renewed sense of motivation to get back out there and get back on track. Hopefully I'll be up to 7 or 8 miles in the next few weeks and be somewhat back on track...

Wishing you the best. You will kick butt. If you ever reach a point that you don't feel like doing your scheduled training, just go out for at least 10 minutes. That's the biggest challenge - just getting into that habit of going out even if you don't feel like it.

Got out for a run, mainly because my roommate was going on so I felt like I should go on one.

I have to say, I felt really, really strong! My pace has definitely been dropping and I was able to push it farther without walking than I have in a while. Both things made me feel good overall. The challenge will be this weekend when I try for 6 miles again. My legs are still getting pretty fatigued, but I'll just have to push through it!

Tried for 6 miles this morning... And made it! I'm so excited about that.

The run honestly felt really, really good. I consciously slowed down at the beginning hoping to save some energy for when I got really tired. Between that and my run/walk method I was able to finish still feeling strong and definitely feeling accomplished.

Going to try and get out for a paddle to celebrate Earth Day!

May has started off really well for training! I've gotten out three times already for this month... although one day was rough because it was so hot and humid and I just wasn't prepared for that.

Had a party last night with some friends and figured that had totally ruined my run this morning. However, almost as soon as I hit the road, I was feeling amazing! I felt like I really could have gone 6+ miles if I wanted. However, my knee/shin wasn't feeling it so I held back a little bit. Still, it was so nice to feel good about my run!

The last few weeks I have been struggling to make my longer runs, well longer. I've had a lot of great shorter runs, but anything over 4 miles has been rough.

I thought that I was developing some shin splints, which really scared me, but in the last week I've worked on stretching and on days that my ankle feels a little weak I wear a brace to help it out. It seems to have really helped because I didn't feel a hint of a shin splint on my run which was really positive for me.

My run yesterday was supposed to be 7 miles, but I woke up feeling terrible with stomach cramps and what not and decided the I would continue on a run, but I might not go as far as I originally thought (mile 7's crazy bad luck for me). However when I started running I started to feel better and other than the humidity and heat actually felt decent. So I was able to push myself and reach my 7 mile goal, which made me ecstatic. The end was rough as I was definitely shake and dehydrated from whatever was bothering me, but I was strong and I finished and to me that's what mattered.

7 miles down... now time to try and hit 8 miles...

Thought I was feeling really good today when I started my run on the treadmill. I hit 2 miles before walking for a bit, so that's the farthest I've gone on the treadmill before stopping. However, when I picked back up the pace my ankle wasn't too happy. It's a problem I've been fighting for a while... so I guess I'll be wearing my ankle brace today...

Hoping to get a longer elliptical run in tomorrow so we'll see how that goes...

The weather in the mornings recently has been fantastic. They've been cool, humidity hasn't been bad and I've been questioning why I haven't been running early. O ya, I was working early shifts.

Well today I was able to get a later shift so I got a short, but really good run in. I wanted to run 2 miles straight, but my legs sabotaged me and walked around 1.6 miles. I made them run an extra .1 of a mile after I hit the two mile mark. Still I felt good, it felt good outside, and overall it was a good morning. Now I just need my legs to survive through working the rest of the day...

I promise I've been around and I promise I've been getting to the gym a few times a week.

However, I did manage to get outside and run in the humidity twice this week! The first time was terrible. 1.6 miles in and I was feeling sick and not happy. I dragged myself to 3.1 miles and then blamed the weather, although in reality I think my body was trying to get sick. I refused to let it though!

Today I was able to run 4 miles, and walk another .5! It felt really good, especially compared to earlier in the week! My legs felt strong most of the time, the rest of my body was holding on as well. I could have used my inhaler, but just focused on my breathing when times got rough and was able to make it through.

It felt really really good and reminded me that I need to trust myself, trust my strength, and trust my training. I'll make it through all of this one way or another. It might hurt since my training is no where near where it should be, but I'll get through it.

Humidity really does a number on me too!, but it's great that you found a way to get that 4+ miles in today. And now you get to relax the rest of the day :)

It's good to listen to your body, but it's also feels good to start realizing what things your know you can push through vs what you can't. The longer I have been running, the shorter the list of things I know I can't push through.

Humidity really does a number on me too!, but it's great that you found a way to get that 4+ miles in today. And now you get to relax the rest of the day :)

It's good to listen to your body, but it's also feels good to start realizing what things your know you can push through vs what you can't. The longer I have been running, the shorter the list of things I know I can't push through.

I thought I got to relax, but my roommate has friends over and so we took them to one of the parks for the day. So much walking in so much heat... an air conditioned nap happened as soon as we got home.

I definitely push my body through what it doesn't want to do. Running was the first push, then a half, then a marathon, then challenges, etc... But it's knowing my body that is how I am able to push myself safely through the challenges. Like I know I'll be able to get through Lumiere's Challenge in November, but it's definitely going to be a challenge since my training just hasn't been where I've wanted it.

I thought I got to relax, but my roommate has friends over and so we took them to one of the parks for the day. So much walking in so much heat... an air conditioned nap happened as soon as we got home.

I definitely push my body through what it doesn't want to do. Running was the first push, then a half, then a marathon, then challenges, etc... But it's knowing my body that is how I am able to push myself safely through the challenges. Like I know I'll be able to get through Lumiere's Challenge in November, but it's definitely going to be a challenge since my training just hasn't been where I've wanted it.

Air conditioning naps are the best! Super jealous!

Also Jealous you get to do the lumiere challenge. I can't wait to read your recap!!!!

So I am still around and still attempting to catch up to where I should be in my training. My body has just decided it doesn't want to work with me and it's been a pain in the ***... sometimes literally. Still, I'm focused on building strength, rebuilding endurance, and staying positive. We'll see what happens this weekend. Hopefully a 5-6 mile run will be in my future. Fingers crossed!

I'm still alive! And still running! I promise.

I made it through my first hurricane, although Central Florida just got a lot of wind and rain, nothing like the coast had. Still, it was my first one so a pretty interesting experience. I was able to run the day before it hit, do some calisthenics during it, and then ran again today now that it is actually pretty nice outside. Not going to lie I really wanted to take a picture doing some yoga or something in my back patio during the wind and rain, but I figured I shouldn't...

Running is still a struggle, but I have kept at it. Definitely still not where I want to be distance-wise, but my pace and my strength are definitely increasing! A more detailed post is in my blog...

Less than a month until Lumiere's Challenge!

Glad you didn't see much damage from the hurricane! Probably a good call to skip the yoga picture. :)

My first race since I stopped about a year and a half ago is finally here. I've been sick (hence the reason I've been MIA) and just not feeling up for the run. The great thing about these races is the people, and it has been the people I met today that have gotten me excited about running this weekend. I know it's going to hurt, but I'll do it... I'll finish these races.

Today I went to the expo with a friend who is running the half. It was her first expo so it was all very exciting. I managed to come out with a heavier bag than expected and a lighter wallet than expected, but overall it was a good time. I heard this morning was a bit crazy, but we went about 3:30 and it was great. The bib pick up was empty and we had plenty of space. The expo was busy, but not so much that you couldn't walk around. Overall, it was a good time and I was able to get everything I wanted. If you want to see what I got, visit my Running Thoughts blog below...

Just finished my first runDisney race in 2 years and I am definitely feeling it! 10k was overall a lot of fun and I felt really really good, probably too good. I definitely think I pushed it a little too hard cause I'm feeling it today.

Well now I'm also feeling the half marathon as well. I'm happy I finished. I got my 2nd fastest official time (fastest since 2010!) and a PR in my unofficial Nike+ time. I'm curious to see how fast I'll run for just a half, which I'll get to test in January during Marathon weekend. My legs are definitely in pain and I can see Aleve being my friend for the next few days...

I've posted my race review on my blog for the 10k and my review of the half should be up tomorrow or Tuesday!

So I know I have been MIA for a while, but I got caught up in traveling, school, and some run ins with some sort of illness. Training has been rough, but it has been happening. I did feel pretty bad from some sort of stomach bug up until this week, when I ate something that caused another bought of sickness. Luckily I was able to get on the elliptical this morning and I don't feel nearly as bad as last time. I was able to get a 5 mile run in on the elliptical! Now I just need to do that and then some on the road...

I did get the chance to go to one of my favorite runs recently. The Reindeer Run 5k was held at SeaWorld Orlando again and I had a blast. No medal, but it was still a lot of fun and I really do love SeaWorld so I don't mind the lack of bling...

It's down to less than 3 weeks until my next half, but luckily it's only a half so I should be good. I'm more excited because I get to run it with my friends.

The other crazy part... this time next year I will be gearing up for the Dopey Challenge! It's almost a year away! The sign up date is saved on the calendar and I have the dates marked down to book my DVC... It really is getting real...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!